AVS Forum banner

~Official Olevia 747i/742i owners thread

Tags
olevia
753K views 5K replies 516 participants last post by  N8YWF 
#1 ·
Hello gang. The time has come to finally start off the Official Olevia 7-series owners thread. I picked up the 747i yesterday.
(net reviews and info can be found here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=61&pp=30 ) It was supposed to be delivered to my company friday but the logistic trucking company recieved it late and rather than wait for them to deliver it sometime next week I just went and picked it up.

This badboy is supposed to be already 100% perfectly caibrated in every aspect of the box and there's no disappointment there.No ther brand(sony,sharp,samsung,westy,etc; ) offer this. In a nutshell, this set is freakin' amazing! A few of the net reviews state it's like looking out a window and they wernt lying.Everything from color accuracy/vividness to grayscale tracking is right on par it seems though maybe slightly off.Simply incredible.This is the best i've seen for any lcdtv

So let's get down to the nitty-gritty........

First, my relevent equipment specs info:

-Dvd player:Sony DVP-NC75H 1080i upconvert player.

-Cable source: DirecTV/HD reciever model H20 set to 1080i w/ 5LNB dish.

-Mounting method: Stand/tabletop.

Resolution Quality and Detail _A+: Stunning.

-DVD movies:Everything I threw at it from Terminator2:Extreme dvd(digitally remastered from 1080p source) to StarWars:ESB to BladeRunner
C were simply incredible.I have never seen nor noticed this much crispness & clarity in movies.Watching SW:ESB, I was floored by the accurate subtle variation of whites in the Hoth scenes.The reviews state the black level not handling well in space scenes but could have fooled me.The opening of the movie,asteroid field chase,etc; looked damn fine black to me with the stars/ships detail standing out very well.Though I do admit in some scenes the shadow detail was mediocre but that's minor in my book.

-HD Satellite: Channels like Discovery HD and UHD were also stunning with very intricate detail processing from animal hairs to details in eyes to the individual flailing grass in the sahara backdrop.SD pq seems nicely improved but far from near-hd quality which is understandable.Doesnt matter how well your vp is, everything comes down to source feed quality.However, the realta vp does a great job filtering out 90% of block noise & adding I'd say 20-30% re-interlaced detail to sd content.

Overall, content from either source looks almost damn close to 1080p quality.In fact, almost 3-dimensional.From scenes with heavy rain blowing to smoke drifting, almost looks like a seperate 3d layer on the screen...floored me.All this most likely thanks to the Silicon-Optix HQV processor and 1:1 pixel mapping.

Grayscale Tracking _A+: Excellent.

Color Accuracy/Vividness _A+: This is processed so well one would have a hard time determining if the set was a plasma or lcd.Definitely a huge step up from my now sold Olevia LT42HVI.Not that the set wasnt great,just the color lacked punch.Color reproduction is incredibly accurate w/ totally natural(non-over-exaggerated) skintones, lush & vivid green with sweet detail seperation whether it be a heavy foilaged scene or yoda,blues are excellent as well from detailed skies to underwater scenes with no banding whatsoever.Just goergous.

Video Processing _A++: The Silicon-Optix Realta HQV is truly the top badboy on the block.Imo,Sony XBR aint got nuthin' on this.Noise-Reduction doesnt seem to negatively affect pq no matter what setting or aspect setting though I've found this to not be needed so far so I leave it off.As far as de-interlacing and pixel based scaling,this is the best I've ever seen and I've owned a few LcdTvs plus work in manufacturing.Syntax made a wise decision using this puppy for thier 7's.

Black Level _C+ Imo, good for a lcd but still relatively high.Though to me, it doesnt seem as high compared to a couple of net reviews.While watching letterbox content like SW:ESB and Blade Runner the black bars seem to fall in nicely with image content.I don't notice any grayish standout.Though I'm running with lighting mode set to Dark-Room.Really dark scenes like from movies Dark City and Blade Runner seem to to lack in detail to a minor extent but to me this is very forgiving compared to all the previous outstanding aspects of this set.

Shadow Detail _B- Hmmm, this is a tough call since this generally would coincide with Black Level but here goes anyway.Seems pretty good generally but if very dark scenes can be a bit ummm blotchy.Not sure if this is due to the staellite source feed and the 1080i upconvert of my dvd player.Again, minor to me since this can only be evident in really dark scenes.

My Overall performance rating _A-: Superb image quality w/ excellent color/detail though Black Level is moderately high and Shadow Detail can be lacking.Like looking out a window!

Model contruction quality _A-: The tv itself screams high quality except with one minor peeve I have. Turns out Syntax opted for a heavy durable 'plastic' black base/stand this time around versus the heavy steel one the LT42HVI has.Maybe they viewed this as an opportunity to cut manuf. costs since most people these days mount thier tvs on a wall.This is disappointing though since I don't wall mount.Don't get me wrong it looks nice but I'd much rather have a steel base especially since this puppy is so heavy.
Aside from that, a solid hq product.

Glass/Anti-Reflective Coating _A++: Wow.When Syntax stated they were substantially upgrading thier AR coating for thier next line of lcds they wernt lying.The AR on this badboy is 10x better than with thier previous models,more specificly the LT42HVI.Whether I have the room moderatly illuminated at night or curtains open during the day with sunlight coming through(my setup faces my windows) the AR does a great job.I have noticed absolutely no glare and if any depending on angle it is extremly minor.Mad props to Syntax for this achievment.

User Interface/MenuWheel _B- Overall, a very cool aproach but navigating it can be confusing.Seems they used reverse psychology.......red box around setting means on and green means off,strange.Navigating the multi-level sub-menus is confusing at first too but after getting familair with things it's no big deal.Just a bit of a learning curve.As far as the adjustment bars for Brightness,Sharpness,etc;........there is no number scale wtf.Turns out Sony holds the patent(among many) for numbers adjustment bars so rather than Syntax having to pay a royalty to those Sony sob's they left it out.I still don't see why they could not use some other values scheme instead like notches,letters,etc; Oh well, can't have everything.

Panel/Backlight Quality _B-

-Panel: Not sure if this is still LG but Syntax rep. stated that they went with 60% more expensive panels for the 7-series versus the 2/3/5 series'. Seems pretty good from what I can tell.

-Backlight: Uneven bleeding in corners which brings me to the unfortunate main negative of this set.........

There seems to be quite a bit backlight bleeding/cloudiness from all 4 corners plus on each half of the screen, equal distance it seems, there is evidence of a large oval/egg-shaped clouded imprint bleeding.Almost seem like pressed imprints.Not fully evident viewing in front of the tv but go stand-up off-angle and they look like eggs.Now this is only noticable against a black screen like movie credits and no-source screen but it's still disappointing.Watching normal content it cannot be detected, unless an extremely dark scene.Even though 98% of the aspects of this set are outstanding, this is just totally unacceptable to me.
Yes, most of you may argue this is minor but for my hard earned money to me it is not.I'm contacting Syntax this week to have them send me an instant replacement fresh off the press and no way in hell am I shipping this first only to be without a tv again.They better send me a new one first then take this one back...I hope.In the meantime,I'm going to enjoy this badboy for all it's worth.

Overall, aside from the backlight/imprint issue this set is stunning.

Anyway, that about wraps up my hands-on user review for you guys.I hope it was found informative.

P.S. -I'll post some pics when I get a hold of a good digicam.

~S!TH

See less See more
#527 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_random /forum/post/0

I emailed Olevia via their website regarding 742i availability, and got this reply:

>Thank you for your interest in our Olevia LCD TV. 747i is available now

>and we have them in stock. As for 742i, we will have this model

>available in the middle of June. Should you have any question, please

>feel free to let us know. Thanks.

That's good to hear. I was starting to fear that they were going to pull a Sharp on us and cancel the 42 inch model.

#529 ·
FROM OLEVIA ALSO ON 4-24-07

The information that I have indicates that the 742i should be shipping to your area in June. Syntax-Brillian uses a distributor in the Washington, DC area that services the Philly/Trenton, NJ market. You can contact the distributor to be referred to a local dealer. Best contact is:

Locus Marketing ,,,,Eric Gagnier

#530 ·
I can compensate for it, as I can move the screen closer to the sitting position. From 8' or so the 47" is large enough, but as you get further away, the the larger screen comes into its own. So I'm ready to live with my 47" set until Olevia brings out a new larger model

My new set is being delivered today
at 3-4pm EST....

#531 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic /forum/post/0

I can compensate for it, as I can move the screen closer to the sitting position. From 8' or so the 47" is large enough, but as you get further away, the the larger screen comes into its own. So I'm ready to live with my 47" set until Olevia brings out a new larger model

My new set is being delivered today
at 3-4pm EST....

Sweet! Where did you order this one from?

Can't wait to hear your 2nd review of this set!

#532 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickacrd /forum/post/0

FROM OLEVIA ALSO ON 4-24-07

The information that I have indicates that the 742i should be shipping to your area in June. Syntax-Brillian uses a distributor in the Washington, DC area that services the Philly/Trenton, NJ market. You can contact the distributor to be referred to a local dealer. Best contact is:

Locus Marketing ,,,,Eric Gagnier

Provantage is saying they have 13 742i's in stock now. The only problem is that they are selling them for almost the same price that buy com is sellling the 747's, only 50 dollars less. I don't need the 47 for my bedroom but I'd rather pay 50 more and get it. Does anyone know who else will be carrying the 742?

#533 ·
Hi guys,

Glad to see this thread is growing! Just got the new TV a week ago and I must say the image quality is better than my 720p RPTV (especially SD). Yesterday it started to make a high-pitched humming sound and it was quite noticeable. I was wondering if anyone encountered similar thing? I am guessing one of the transformers might be going bad...

Tim

#536 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by timho /forum/post/0

Just got the new TV a week ago and I must say the image quality is better than my 720p RPTV (especially SD). Yesterday it started to make a high-pitched humming sound and it was quite noticeable. I was wondering if anyone encountered similar thing? I am guessing one of the transformers might be going bad...

First I've ever heard of a 747i making noise. Is the TV plugged to the wall or a power distributor? It isn't normal for a 747i to have a buzzing noise of any kind, so either you've got a defective set or you're Sylar from "Heroes" and have super-hearing abilities.

#537 ·
So now that the set has warmed up, I see no EGGS, but there is a bright corner bottom left which is only visible at night when there are side bars or a blank no input screen (it amuses me that Sony and Sharp turn the back lights off now when there is no input, to try and stop folks looking for Clouds and such like), overall the set is as before, great SD amazing HD and no black crush. The 1:1 and PIP are awesome. The 747 definitely has less glare than the Sammy 5265, even with the glass front they really have done a great job, even better than those Elite plasmas with regard to reflection. Also the speakers on this set are also the best I have heard on the sets I have tested. Lip sync, yes this set has lip sync also another thing I didn't find on the Sammy. So I am well pleased and feel at home with this set, the only thing that could faze me now is if Olevia upped this model with a higher contrast ratio, 120hz refresh rate and a bigger size.

#538 ·

Quote:

............. Lip sync, yes this set has lip sync ...........

NO WAY! Maybe it's your ears .... or eyes ....... When is the last time you had a check up? Jus' Kiddin'

The MAIN reason (there were many) I got rid of the Vizio was lip sync (not from a weak signal). This is the 1st post I have seen about lip sync on the Olevia. Were there others and I just missed them?

#539 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvprof /forum/post/0

Provantage is saying they have 13 742i's in stock now. The only problem is that they are selling them for almost the same price that buy com is sellling the 747's, only 50 dollars less. I don't need the 47 for my bedroom but I'd rather pay 50 more and get it. Does anyone know who else will be carrying the 742?

They don't have the 742i. They have the 747i and they've mislabled it as 742i.

#540 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAH /forum/post/0

NO WAY! Maybe it's your ears .... or eyes ....... When is the last time you had a check up? Jus' Kiddin'

The MAIN reason (there were many) I got rid of the Vizio was lip sync (not from a weak signal). This is the 1st post I have seen about lip sync on the Olevia. Were there others and I just missed them?

Actually this set has ton's of bells and whistles to tune, I tend to leave it alone as the 6500K is pre calabrated, and the no numbered sliders are a real bummer, as you cannot easily get back to old setting due to this fact. I hope this gets fixed with a firmware upgrade.

#541 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAH /forum/post/0

What he is saying is, there is a option to "lip sync" just in case some channel is not matching up ... So no worries there.

#542 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by saylor /forum/post/0

What he is saying is, there is a option to "lip sync" just in case some channel is not matching up ... So no worries there.

OK. Now I get it! Boy is that a relief! Now Techaholic's reply to me makes sense! I'm all smiles again even though I don't have one of these TV's ... YET

#543 ·
I'm nursing the mother of all allergy-induced cold flu's, so for the past couple of days I've been bed-ridden. Its the first time outside of weekends that I've watched the 747i during the day and this set continues to impress me. I'm watching The Price Is Right with OTA (SD on a Digital feed), and I can't get over how LOUD these speakers are when watching OTA channels. Last night's Lost nearly blew my ears away when a loud music cue came out of nowhere and shook my little apartment. As usual the HDTV makes you want to watch HD stations even if they're not showing anything you're remotely interested in; Universal's Action Sports block and Discovery HD are particularly amusing in this regard.

#544 ·

Quote:

So now that the set has warmed up, I see no EGGS, but there is a bright corner bottom left which is only visible at night when there are side bars or a blank no input screen (it amuses me that Sony and Sharp turn the back lights off now when there is no input, to try and stop folks looking for Clouds and such like), overall the set is as before, great SD amazing HD and no black crush. The 1:1 and PIP are awesome. The 747 definitely has less glare than the Sammy 5265, even with the glass front they really have done a great job, even better than those Elite plasmas with regard to reflection. Also the speakers on this set are also the best I have heard on the sets I have tested. Lip sync, yes this set has lip sync also another thing I didn't find on the Sammy. So I am well pleased and feel at home with this set, the only thing that could faze me now is if Olevia upped this model with a higher contrast ratio, 120hz refresh rate and a bigger size.

If you get a chance, I would love to see pictures of XBMC on this set, in particular YouTube. Thanks.

#545 ·
I just wanted to let everyone know that I still love "OLEVIA" ... She is still as gorgeous as the first day I picked her up and put her in the back of the truck.
The rest of that story is X-RATED so I will stop there lol.

On a serious note ... The TV is amazing, no clouds, no eggs, beautiful picture and man can this TV put out some GREAT looking SD, that is no lie this TV shines in HD and looks so damn good in SD. I am going to get a 6500 temp light for behind the TV to give it a tad bit deeper blacks or at least the illiusion, not that the blacks are bad (they aren't at all) I just think It would make it even better than what it already is. The TV does have slight banding in a "GREY" test screen, but not in normal viewing or gaming, and I will say it one more time "NOT IN NORMAL VEIWING OR GAMING".

My modded XBOX W/XBMC is awesome, my XBOX 360 is amazing, and my HD-DVD player (HD-A2) is rocking .... This TV does such an outstanding job of upconverting SD DVD's and HD-DVD's at 1080i from my HD-A2 to 1080p it is freaking sweet. I have my XBOX 360 hooked up via componet, I had it hooked up via VGA and it looks sweet but to my eyes (at least to my eyes right now) componet looks better, still switching between the two though.

I don't use the XBOX 360 for up-converting because I have the XBOX W/XBMC and the HD-A2. The HD-A2 is what I use for SD DVD's, I set it to 480i and let the TV do it's magic. The sound is so awesome .... Watching NIN on HD-DVD with the sound cranked up just from the TV at half way makes my apartment shake lol. This TV is loud I don't even usually move the volume slider half way up, but when I do I know it and the neighbors do too.

So I guess I am trying to say I love this TV and coming from quite alot of other HDTV's in the last couple months ( to many to say
) this one does not dissapoint. I think anyone interested in buying "OLEVIA 747i" will not be sad that they did, it's that good.
I know in the next couple years this TV will go in the bedroom and I will get another for the living room, there is alot of new technology coming out in the next few years/months and I will be doing my homework on all of the upcoming brands/technologies but I know the brand of TV that I will be most interested in and that will be the "OLEVIA' I just hope that the next high end series from "OLEVIA" will live up to this series and shine even brighter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.