~Official Olevia 747i/742i owners thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 5093 Old 05-25-2007, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well my subject line says it all…. I only had 10 minutes tops to see/play with the 747i. The viewing room at Olevia’s is in a conference room at the front entrance as you walk in. You can easily see all the LCD TV’s in the conference room from the front reception desk. The conference room is very, very bright, sun lit room with halogen lighting.

At the time of my arrival, 1:20pm, no one was using the room. A representative by the name of Bobby was the young gentleman that helped me with the 747i demonstration. When we turn the 747i on, there was a HD feed from a Satellite, of some birds in flight, very dark picture. It was very hard see the screen because of all the lighting in the room. Just then personal from Olevia came into the room. I asked if I could hook up my PlayTime box, which is the player that has all my movies on it… Bobby looked uncomfortable at that point and said the gentlemen that just walked in was the CEO of Olevia, he then said he would give me 5 minutes to view my Playtime movies . So I proceeded to hook up my playtime to the 747i, and started to watch Blade Runner. To tell you the truth it was just too bright to really see the picture under the stressful circumstances, and the reflections from all the lighting. I wanted to close the blinds and turn off those damn lights, but I didn’t want to ruin my welcome…. I did watch a minute or so of Breach, to see the skin tones, and they were fine… Going back to Blade Runner, I wanted to see the Blacks but it was hopeless because of the lighting in the room. I think any Brand LCD TV would have looked bad in this room…

I did ask Bobby why no B/M showing of the 747i, and his reply was that Olevia really did not have enough stock on hand to supply the stores… He said that they only had 200 units in stock…. Also asked about the side mounts for the speakers and said that he had not seen them and did not know if they were available yet.. The 742i would be available sometime the end of June, but we already knew that.

As this was my first viewing of the 747l, I felt that it looked very Boxy looking, because of the location of the speakers. I would prefer not having them mounted at the bottom of the panel, nor at the sides…

Sorry I did not get to view more of the 747i, I was disappointed with my visit. I wanted to stay much longer, but under the circumstances I was lucky to get 10 minutes. I asked Bobby if I could wait until the meeting was over, so I could come back later today, but that request was turned down for the 10 minutes of Glory…..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5093 Old 05-26-2007, 07:18 AM

Sounds like a horrible experience...
post #723 of 5093 Old 05-26-2007, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Yeah, too bad you didn't get to tell the president of Olevia what you thought of how they demo'ed their set to a potential customer. If its any consolation (a) the TV can be made to look less "boxy" by removing the speakers from the bottom and/or sidemounting them (with the still-unavailable conversion kit) plus (b) blacks/contrast ratio under normal lighting conditions is acceptable to merely OK. At least you got a sense of how big/small the TV is for your own personal needs. My advice? Hate the people that make/sell Olevia TV's (based on your rushed experience) but don't take it on the 747i itself. It's not the TV's fault that the people demonstrating it to you had no manners. The 747i wants to please your eyes and be your loving ever-so-faithful HD bitch; don't let her pimps (i.e. the Olevia suits) stand in the way of your passionate HD affair with a 747i. Later!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #724 of 5093 Old 05-26-2007, 08:59 AM
WAH

Hey Speedyman,
Sorry you had such a bummer experience! I was hoping for a glowing review from Olevia's HQ. They used to have a horrible set and horribel PR/service. They have a much better set now but it sounds like they still need a little tweaking in the PR department. The CEO leading by example. They only had one chance to make a "good" first impression! I think that's the worst thing that has been said about Olevia in the entire 25 pages of this thread.
post #725 of 5093 Old 05-26-2007, 10:43 AM

Thanks all for your response to my post…. I still have not given up on the 747i… I want to see all the Bells and Whistles this puppy can deliver.. I will call my contact at Lasertech and tell them about my poor experience at Olevia.. My problem is, it’s a 60 mile round trip drive to see the 747i again, and taking off work is difficult for me.

I did not mention in my review post, that I was able to get a price from Lasertech. PM and I will give you the price point I was given…. They give you a 3yrs warranty when you purchase from Lasertech, but no credit cards are accepted… Check/Cash only.
post #726 of 5093 Old 05-26-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

PM Techaholic and share with him your Lasertech price speedman. Wait for his reply before you pull the trigger (not that you're about to do that except for the gun you're holding against your temple for the way Olevia dumped all over you!).

post #727 of 5093 Old 05-26-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

PM Techaholic and share with him your Lasertech price speedman. Wait for his reply before you pull the trigger (not that you're about to do that except for the gun you're holding against your temple for the way Olevia dumped all over you!).

Thanks Dad1153... Just PM'd Techaholic.. As far as the gun, Nah, would not do that. What I should of done before I left Olevia. was load up a video loop clip on the 747i, with the new Line Up of the upcoming Samsung LCD's... Love to see the look on that CEO's face.....
post #728 of 5093 Old 05-28-2007, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman View Post

...He (Bobby) said that they only had 200 units in stock...

Obviously, the CEO is far more concerned with upcoming, new models than 200 units of old stock. And, he really can not tell you to forget about this old junk and wait ____months for the new models.

Yes, 7xx is #1 for SD and DVDs currently and probably even after the new models come out. Everyone's new models are (IMO) focusing on color gamut, contrast and motion processing.

HD-DVD is dead, so now I'm a Gary McCoy fanboy.
post #729 of 5093 Old 05-28-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtr_wkr View Post

Obviously, the CEO is far more concerned with upcoming, new models than 200 units of old stock.

What ever happened with the CEO of a corporation being concerned with the customers' wishes and desires? These new guys are heading down the same road as the American auto manufacturers - to nowhere.
post #730 of 5093 Old 05-29-2007, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds like a job for Michael Moore: get Olevia's CEO to treat potential 747i customers with something resembling an attempt at good corporate behavior.

So, any new 747i owners joined our little club in the past few hours or are we still a semi-exclusive club of the 1080p/SD loving freaks in HD?

post #731 of 5093 Old 05-29-2007, 06:32 AM
WAH

Quote:

..... So, any new 747i owners joined our little club in the past few hours or are we still a semi-exclusive club .............

I haven't joined the club yet .... but soon ......
The club will stay exclusive if they only have 200 units in stock. Whas up wit dat? (Soon to be discontiunued maybe). The recent blitz by Vizio had them selling more than that in a day! The big "C" sold over 10,000 sets alone. That will slow down sales on all other brands. The Olevia is only a few hunderd dollars more than the Vizio now but ...... everyone (maybe not everyone) already has a 47" set. Looks like Olevia is going to be playing catch up in the market share to even Vizio.

Arturo
post #732 of 5093 Old 05-29-2007, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What hurts is that the 747i runs circles around Vizio's 47" models in quality. I saw a 47" Vizio LCD over the weekend at CC hooked-up to a Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player running "Happy Feet." This CG cartoon movie blew me away when I watched it on my 747i (the picture blew me away, the movie itself is retarded!) but on the Vizio it looked washed-out as hell. I tweaked the Vizio as best I could considering there were lights hanging above it, and I got it to look kind-of decent but still not as good as my 747i (which doesn't have the best blacks/contrast ratios around). If the Blu-ray/HD-DVD is teaching us anything is that low prices matter though, and in that end Vizio is unstoppable. Olevia's lower-priced brands will compete with Vizio but they're not in the same league as the 747i. Bummer!

post #733 of 5093 Old 05-29-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:

So, any new 747i owners joined our little club in the past few hours or are we still a semi-exclusive club of the 1080p/SD loving freaks in HD?

Still waiting on the 42 inch model.
post #734 of 5093 Old 05-29-2007, 08:02 AM

I would consider buying the 747i in a heartbeat if it was offered on display at the B/M stores, so I could see a side by side comparison of other Brand LCD’s…. It’s too bad that Olievia has chosen to market the 747i this way… When I shopped around, via the phone for the 747i, the sales person would always try to sell me another brand LCD over the Olevia.. I would ask them if they ever viewed the 747i in person and their answer was always No….
I always like to read owners opinions / reviews of their purchases, but the bottom line for me is , smell , touch and See with my own eyes before I hand over my plastic/money on this type of purchase… I still have 2 1/2 months left on my filler LCD to be returned , and by that time, pricing will be down on the 747i or the new models will be out, and then more new decisions have to be made…. BUMMER.. Don’t you just love new technology?
post #735 of 5093 Old 05-29-2007, 08:32 AM

My buying decision will be in August when I'm moving back into my house. In July, I'm hoping to see this set in person at J&R when I'm in NY. I also want to see what else is available then in terms of LCDs as well as anti-glare Plasmas but right now I'm definitely leaning towards the 747i.
post #736 of 5093 Old 05-29-2007, 10:14 AM

I also visited Olevia showroom in March before buying my TV. I was given as much time as I wanted. I have asked to hook up my laptop and did not get any objections. I went through full range of tests and images. Even whith all the blinds closed there is an open glass door to the reception, so the showroom can never be made fully dark. But it matched closely to my living room conditions and convinced me to get this TV. In a semi-dark room the contrast ratio is great, the relatively poor black level is not really a problem and there is no glare from the glass when the signal is on. If you watch your movies in a complete darkness nothing beats a good plasma like Pioneer or Panasonic. The unit they have in the showroom was very uniform and I did not notice any light leakage or banding. This was not the case with the unit I bought, so watch out for their quality control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman View Post

Well my subject line says it all. I only had 10 minutes tops to see/play with the 747i. The viewing room at Olevia's is in a conference room at the front entrance as you walk in. You can easily see all the LCD TV's in the conference room from the front reception desk. The conference room is very, very bright, sun lit room with halogen lighting.

At the time of my arrival, 1:20pm, no one was using the room. A representative by the name of Bobby was the young gentleman that helped me with the 747i demonstration. When we turn the 747i on, there was a HD feed from a Satellite, of some birds in flight, very dark picture. It was very hard see the screen because of all the lighting in the room. Just then personal from Olevia came into the room. I asked if I could hook up my PlayTime box, which is the player that has all my movies on it Bobby looked uncomfortable at that point and said the gentlemen that just walked in was the CEO of Olevia, he then said he would give me 5 minutes to view my Playtime movies . So I proceeded to hook up my playtime to the 747i, and started to watch Blade Runner. To tell you the truth it was just too bright to really see the picture under the stressful circumstances, and the reflections from all the lighting. I wanted to close the blinds and turn off those damn lights, but I didn't want to ruin my welcome. I did watch a minute or so of Breach, to see the skin tones, and they were fine Going back to Blade Runner, I wanted to see the Blacks but it was hopeless because of the lighting in the room. I think any Brand LCD TV would have looked bad in this room

I did ask Bobby why no B/M showing of the 747i, and his reply was that Olevia really did not have enough stock on hand to supply the stores He said that they only had 200 units in stock. Also asked about the side mounts for the speakers and said that he had not seen them and did not know if they were available yet.. The 742i would be available sometime the end of June, but we already knew that.

As this was my first viewing of the 747l, I felt that it looked very Boxy looking, because of the location of the speakers. I would prefer not having them mounted at the bottom of the panel, nor at the sides

Sorry I did not get to view more of the 747i, I was disappointed with my visit. I wanted to stay much longer, but under the circumstances I was lucky to get 10 minutes. I asked Bobby if I could wait until the meeting was over, so I could come back later today, but that request was turned down for the 10 minutes of Glory..

post #737 of 5093 Old 05-31-2007, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This thread needs a bump, to the top, If Olevia upgrades this set, I will be selling the 747i for the new set, it does such a great job currently that the thought of a 52" 120Mhz blacker than black contrast ratio makes my palms sweat
post #738 of 5093 Old 05-31-2007, 08:22 AM

Is this 52" 120hz just a rumor or does someone have inside info?
post #739 of 5093 Old 05-31-2007, 08:36 AM
WAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny888 View Post

Is this 52" 120hz just a rumor or does someone have inside info?

I'm holding out for the 53 1/2"! JK

Arturo
post #740 of 5093 Old 05-31-2007, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My gut says it will happen, has too if they are going to stay competitive. People don't realize that bigger is better, they tend to judge the size of the HDTV they should buy against the old CRT sets....

Anyway, I think 747i owners should let prospective buyers come and see their sets, i'm in Alexandria VA and if anyone wants to come and see my set, please feel free, pm me if interested.
post #741 of 5093 Old 05-31-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

Anyway, I think 747i owners should let prospective buyers come and see their sets, i'm in Alexandria VA and if anyone wants to come and see my set, please feel free, pm me if interested.

Now that is what I call the ultimate endorsement.
post #742 of 5093 Old 05-31-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:

My gut says it will happen, has too if they are going to stay competitive. People don't realize that bigger is better, they tend to judge the size of the HDTV they should buy against the old CRT sets....

Hey, I'm for that... if anyone wants to extend the welcome mat for viewing in Los Angeles,, I will bring the beer....

Speedman in L.A....
post #743 of 5093 Old 05-31-2007, 09:16 AM

I'm in the Bay Area - would love to see it in a avs member home setting.
post #744 of 5093 Old 05-31-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

the thought of a 52" 120Mhz blacker than black contrast ratio makes my palms sweat.

Funny, the same thought makes another part of my anatomy wet!

Quote:

I live in Harlem. Bring your bullet-proof vests over and I'll show it to you.

post #745 of 5093 Old 05-31-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:

I live in Harlem. Bring your bullet-proof vests over and I'll show it to you.

I'm not afraid of Harlem, I went to school at CCNY and spent many summers living in the South Bronx.

Also enjoyed going to Sylvia's.
post #746 of 5093 Old 05-31-2007, 07:14 PM

Iam In The South Jersey Area,,near Phila.,,,and Delaware,,just Got My 747i
Still In Box Till I Get My Wall Mount And 5.1 Sound System Set Up
Anyone That Wants To See It Should Be Ready In 2 Or 3 Wks, Max.

Cant Wait,,,e-mail Me If You Want To See It,,,,,annette
post #747 of 5093 Old 05-31-2007, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Can't you just post pictures of the 747i box just sitting there anetom? We like to watch and yes, we're sick that way!

post #748 of 5093 Old 06-01-2007, 09:15 AM

I see Newegg is now carrying the 747i..... I hope B/M will carry it soon for display.
post #749 of 5093 Old 06-01-2007, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anetom View Post

...Still In Box Till I Get...

In case there is damage that a shipper would be responsible for, you need to make sure the glass is good including all four corners. Do this without moving it and right away. Re box to move it. Keep it standing up, vertical.

HD-DVD is dead, so now I'm a Gary McCoy fanboy.
post #750 of 5093 Old 06-01-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Sounds like a job for Michael Moore:

I can see the story line now...

"I went in for a 747i demonstration. It was very hard see the screen because of the bad lighting in the room. At the time of this distress the CEO of Olevia was just sitting there reading "My pet goat"..."
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page