post #181 of 5076 Old 03-14-2007, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by S!TH!NAT0R View Post

I bought mine straight out from Lasertech.They are close to Syntax's hq in Cali and are Syntax's #1 distributor.They were great with me.
http://www.ltcom.com/page/nusers/ite...roid=tv-747b11

Don't you have to be a dealer to buy from Lasertech? I didn't know they sold direct to the public as well. What did you have to do to get around this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5076 Old 03-14-2007, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodydog View Post

1) Are the reflections on this TV's glass about the same as a typical plasma?

2) How bright is the picture compared to other LCD's

1.- When the 747i is off and there's bright light in the room yes, it reflects a little like a plasma screen. Its not plasma bad but its reflections are about on par with those of a Samsung LCD with the piano black finish. When the screen is on the reflections from the viewing area are non-existent. There's some reflections visible on the black area/glass around the screen but personally it's not a big deal and haven't noticed it except the first day.

2.- With the Bright Room and Brightness settings cranked-up this thing willlight up a small warehouse. We're talking exploding man (or Peter Petrelli in his apocalyptic dream) in "Heroes" caliber bright. Even on Bright Room lighting though the brightness starts pretty low on the sliding scale and its set at pretty much the optical level.

Again, compared with a CRT tube the SD picture of the 747i lacks... all HDTV's (except maybe top-tier Fujitsu and Pioneer panels) lose in SD when compared to a CRT. Compared against other HDTV's though (particularly 1080p LCD's) the 747i's SD performance shines. Why did you think I waited a year (March '06 to March '07) until a 1080p LCD arrived that could both do 1080p and passable SD performance?
post #183 of 5076 Old 03-14-2007, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I must say, these are some very impressive looking sets. A 47 incher is too big for the room I'd be putting it in. Any word on when the 42 inch model will be available and does it have the same specs and features?
post #184 of 5076 Old 03-14-2007, 03:40 PM
T2k

Liked: 11
42" will be shipping in a couple of months with the same specs - www.olevia.com under 742i model specs.
post #185 of 5076 Old 03-14-2007, 04:51 PM

Motion blurr - there has been quite a bit of chat about motion blurr, especially for fast action sports like hockey, soccer, football, and the camera is constantly panning to follow the play.

Can the new owners of this 747i comment at all on how this set commpares to say the latest Aquos D92 which is supposed to have a 120 scan and a 4 ms response, vs the 8 ms response of the 747i.

Does the spuerior HQV processor overcome the 8ms slower response time for these fast actiopn sports?

Thnxs for reply
post #186 of 5076 Old 03-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Techaholic,

I'd be curious to know if your set came directly from Buy.com or if they contracted with a 3rd party to ship it to you from their stock. When I called Olevia, they said that Buy.com was not one of their dealers. I guess if Olevia swaps it out for you they'll be able to look up the serial number and figure out who the dealer was that they shipped it to originally.

Well funny you should ask Pete, I called Olevia, (so far great customer service) and they told me that it was not shipped by them and therefore could not be replaced due to open box (also dirty glass was also not a big deal as it can be removed and cleaned ). They have already shipped the spare part that was damaged at the back on receipt of a picture from me.

So I got back in touch with Buy.com and they ummed and ahhhed about the fact that it was an open box, and as you rightly thought it had indeed been shipped by a 3rd party distributer. However as it was also damaged, they asked for pictures as this would enable them to make a claim and get a new set for me. Obviously unwilling to replace or discount due to open box, but willing to make a damage claim and skin the cat by that route.

So my question is would you return it and get a replacement, when it's probable going to take several weeks to sort out?

They will pick the TV up from my home after about 10-18days.

The Olevia rep said I could remove the glass with care and help and clean it or leave it off altogether. He also mentioned that the back lights tend to be very bright upfront and would dim down slightly with use and hence would result in the eggs slowly disappearing from view.

Anyway my question is would you have the set returned for a replacement or keep it, and replace the broken part and clean the Glass.?
post #187 of 5076 Old 03-14-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S!TH!NAT0R View Post

Another 747i review popped up:
http://www.ecoustics.com/sv/2160
And some more calibration info for you cal nuts...
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdt...-lcd-hdtv.html

Olevia spokesmodel Jodi Wojdak.I wish she came with my 747i.Hubba-hubba ....

mmm...1080p booth babes
post #188 of 5076 Old 03-14-2007, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsy View Post

Can the new owners of this 747i comment at all on how this set commpares to say the latest Aquos D92 which is supposed to have a 120 scan and a 4 ms response, vs the 8 ms response of the 747i.

I'm the wrong person to ask jimsy because, unlike the picky people here at the forum, the "judder" doesn't affect me (assuming its there) on all the instances I've watched an HD signal on TV sets for a year (at friends' homes, in stores, etc.). I've been watching a ton of standard definition soccer for the past few days and saw lots of NCAA basketball coverage on Sunday. On the latter I definitely saw a little bit of "judder" during fast breaks in which the image would deform for a split second. Same with the soccer games but I also saw the same thing when I watched the games on a tube so its not the set, but the signal fed to it. The 8m response time proved to offer minimal to non-existent control problems with the bevy of videogames (non of the newer systems though) I tested with the 747i (check pages 5 and 6 for pictures of my set in action). If you're a hardcore perfectionist of the AVS Forum ilk then "in theory" the Sharp D92U is better: more contrast, better more natural blacks, 4m response time and 120Hz refresh rate... hope you like "bands" though! In practice I read from fellow AVS members and online reviews by experts about the performance of the 747i and took a leap of faith getting one from a nice (and reliable) eBay seller. I haven't regreted it and doubt I will even at 8m response time (which again, hasn't affected my gaming tests) and "judder" similar to other TV brands/sets.
post #189 of 5076 Old 03-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Jimsey I had the D92U and it's SD sucked big time, the 747i has amazing SD quality for a large set. The color of the 747i also is outstanding. The Sharp could go blacker but once you turned up the brightness a notch or two then the dreaded banding would pop out at you in light and dark scenes (especially panning). The eggs on the 747 only rarely show up on a black screen only. It plays Xbox 360 1080p 1:1 mode like a champ, you can even turn off any unnecessary processing to increase speed. The settings on this set are numerous and the PIP is to die for. In fact not having it on a 4K set is criminal, when you can have two feeds coming in on this set and switch the sound with one button press. I had over the air HD and Xbox both playing together. Can't say about the 120Mhz making a big difference.
post #190 of 5076 Old 03-14-2007, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Any pictures Techaholic? The crowds want to see XBox 360 1080p in action and I'm in no rush to show them mine (having too much fun watching just regular TV), so it'd be a great boost to the thread if they could see the 360's 1080p in action. Question: was the XBox 360 outputting 1080p via VGA or component to the 747i? Because if the 747i accepts 1080p via component (like the Sharp D62/D92 models did without documentation) that's news to me!
post #191 of 5076 Old 03-14-2007, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

I concur with these guys Jimsey.I have not noticed any lag,breakup,ghosting,blur,etc; my set either and I play alot of videogames,especially fps.Color & detail are fantastic.The only negative I have to say about the 747i performance-wise is the avg black level.Very dark movie scenes lose out on detail but that's really about it. Plus, the 747i is such an elegantly beautiful showpiece it's sure to get you laid!(I had a date over the evening before last & that's all I'm sayin'. )
-*Tread carefully when considering overhyped/overpriced Sharpband.They're current models have plethora of issues namely severe banding & clouding.*-

~S!TH

"Very few high-definition TVs achieve that elusive sense of looking out a window but the Syntax-Brillian Olevia 747i is one of them delivering some of the best video images I've seen in a long time." 2007

post #192 of 5076 Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 PM

After 5 days (2-3 hr a day watching) the egg-shaped clouds almost disappear. I still can detect residual spots, but only becasue I remember the originals. It's a good thing because I never got any reply from Olevia tech support.

Hooked up PS3 and results are gorgeous. Absolutely no motion blur. All the PS3 games I have are in 720p. I don't know of 1080p PS3 games exist yet.

The perfromance is pretty much like they describe in the reviews. Very accurate colors, smooth textures. I used Pantone calibrator with my laptop connected to a VGA input. The adjustments were very minor - calibration is not really needed. The perception of blacks depends on the brightness of your room. During daytime the blacks look great, in a dark room you realize they are average, but it really does not affect the overall picture perception. The reflections from the glass are not visible with TV on.

At about 25 degrees off center there is a slight drop in contrast and saturation; this level remains constant until about 60 degrees, after which it drops significantly. This makes 50 degrees of a perfect viewing sector and 120 degree of a decent viewing sector. Olevia claim of 178 degrees is a real stretch.

I was trying to make a remote for TWC 8300HD scan for 747i codes with no success. Has anyone done this? Please post the codes.
post #193 of 5076 Old 03-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Any pictures Techaholic? The crowds want to see XBox 360 1080p in action and I'm in no rush to show them mine (having too much fun watching just regular TV), so it'd be a great boost to the thread if they could see the 360's 1080p in action. Question: was the XBox 360 outputting 1080p via VGA or component to the 747i? Because if the 747i accepts 1080p via component (like the Sharp D62/D92 models did without documentation) that's news to me!

Ok it looks like crap as it's just a cell phone shot, but you can see the Xbox 360 does full 1080P over component. Haven't tried the VGA cable yet, but I had it playing over Media center full 1080P WMV Coral Reef movies over component.
post #194 of 5076 Old 03-15-2007, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sweet, 1080p component goodness. Once I fire the XBox 360 and upgrade it I'll run a battery of VGA and component tests. Too bad I'm broke (the 747i blew the budget I had for the TV, Blu-ray, speakers and a recliner seat... it all went to the TV) but so far no regrets, this Olevia (unlike other Olevia's in my life) are worth staying up late and going to bed with.
post #195 of 5076 Old 03-15-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

Anyway my question is would you have the set returned for a replacement or keep it, and replace the broken part and clean the Glass.?

There are pros and cons either way. If you can get a refund right away (i.e. have your credit card credited for the full amount) then you are in the cat bird seat and can pick up a new set from someone that Olevia recognizes. If you have to return it and wait around while a claim is filed and a ruling is given, then you are probably better off keeping the unit and putting it right.
post #196 of 5076 Old 03-15-2007, 12:07 PM
T2k

So is there any store out there with finance (card, BML etc) so I can get my buddy to order it for me today?
post #197 of 5076 Old 03-15-2007, 07:01 PM

Hi Everyone.

This is my first time posting to this forum.

Thanks to everyone for all the valuable insight into this TV. Based upon everyones opinion i've decided to pull the trigger and buy it. I just placed my order online at buy. They dont have it in stock right now, but i'm hoping it wont take too long to get it in my place.

I appreciate all the pictures that youve all put up. As soon as ive got my up and running ill be sure to share some photos. I happen to be a bit of an amature photographer and have a pretty good camera so i should be able to provide everyone with some informative shots.

Ill be looking for those eggs and bleeding around the corners.

Thanks
Paul
post #198 of 5076 Old 03-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptoofan View Post

Hi Everyone.

This is my first time posting to this forum.

Thanks to everyone for all the valuable insight into this TV. Based upon everyones opinion i've decided to pull the trigger and buy it. I just placed my order online at buy. They dont have it in stock right now, but i'm hoping it wont take too long to get it in my place.

I appreciate all the pictures that youve all put up. As soon as ive got my up and running ill be sure to share some photos. I happen to be a bit of an amature photographer and have a pretty good camera so i should be able to provide everyone with some informative shots.

Ill be looking for those eggs and bleeding around the corners.

Thanks
Paul

Well basically the Sharp bands are way more visible while watching and the Olevia eggs are hardly ever visible unless the screen is nearly all dark/black. Then the extra features PIP, 1:1 on everything, 1080p over VGA, two tuners, good SD.... loads of reasons this is a great buy. You wont regret it.

Hey all, do you think it's time to start a Settings thread for the 747?
post #199 of 5076 Old 03-16-2007, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Well I watched a bunch of Discovery HD yesterday and the 3D effect and color of this set never stops to amaze me. I also viewed TNTHD NBL and it looked good to me, as I am no sports fan I couldn't say if it was good or bad compared to other sets out their with 120mhz & 4ms response times. Also my eggs are beginning to fade away, it is hard now to see them at all, need a dark room with bright mode lighting to see them.
post #200 of 5076 Old 03-16-2007, 11:33 AM

So not to knock Olevia but what is with the price? Olevia's used to be like Westinghouse in terms of cost; is the scaler driving the price up? or is it because it's brand new?
post #201 of 5076 Old 03-16-2007, 11:41 AM
T2k

I don't think it's ever been in W' price range except its cheapest, entry-level models - but the 747i/742i is their new flagship series, with 47" is priced around 'three G' (smaller is around 'a G less'), a little bit above a less-capable yet more problematic similar-sized Sammy/Sony/Sharp etc.
post #202 of 5076 Old 03-16-2007, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Guys, I don't want to start a panic and hate to be the bearer of what could potentially be bad news. I've discovered that there is slight banding with my 747i that is only visible using an all-grey screen (like the one owners of Sharp D62U/D92U models use to detect it in their set's service menu). I can't feed my 747i a grey screen because my laptop resolution maxes out at 1230x780 (!) plus the VGA cable isn't carrying the signal from the laptop to the TV screen. I don't know of any service menus in the set that will give grey screen, but my SA 8300 HD DVR is preset at grey for the bars in 4:3 or letterboxed content. Whenever I switch between the HD DVR's two tuners in PIP (which in my case is often) I started noticing what appeared to be slight vertical bands during the split-screen when both tuners would be out while switching places. Even with my lowly Mini-DV camera to TIFF to JPEG picture process the bands were quite evident in both bright and dark settings (with the room's lights on as well as off):

The good news is that, outside of the all-grey screen in my 8300 HD DVR, these bands have not affected my viewing of regular TV, HDTV, XBox 360 videogames, DVD's and HD-DVD's in the slightest. But apparently the 747i isn't immune to whatever it is that makes current LCD panels exhibit this type of manufacturing defect. More to come.
post #203 of 5076 Old 03-16-2007, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

More pics for your viewing pleasure (and I dare you to spot visible "banding" on any of them). Remember: I suck at taking pictures and these came from a 10 year-old Mini-DV camera that can also snap digital pictures on a Memory Stick. Hey, I'm doing the best I can with what I have!

Xbox 360 games "Ninety-Nine Nights" and "Crackdown" (1080p component):

PS3 games "Ratchet & Clank" and "Call of Duty 4" (720p HDMI):

For additional pictures of PlayStation 1/2/3 games playing on the 747i from a 60GB PS3 click the following links:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post13741734 (PS2 & PS1 games)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post13694826 (PS3 interfance, Blu-ray & "Ratchet and Clank")
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post13694996 ("Ratchet and Clank" & "Call of Duty 4")
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post13844177 ("Sega Rally Revo" 360 & "Heavenly Sword" PS3).

HD-DVD movies "The Shining" and "The Host" (1080i component):

For additional pictures of HD-DVD and cable high-def content playing on the 747i click the following links:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13692755 ("Shining/Host/Planet Earth" HD-DVD)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post13692374 (sports, live shows, etc.)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post13692481 (boxing and movies)
post #204 of 5076 Old 03-16-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

These digital pics from a 10 year-old Mini-DV camera don't do justice at how impressive this set handles SD signals. No, they're not HD-DVD or HD sharp, but damn if they don't look good-enough to at least be worthy of "HD Lite" comparisons. These are some shots of some random DVD's I picked from a pile to take these pictures and remember, in person the imperfections on these analog-digital-analog JPEG's are non-existent:

"Citizen Kane" DVD, "Spider-Man '67" DVD and "Secret World of Alex Mack" DVD-R taped from cable (component 480p):

Soccer, MSNBC and Local TV (cable & OTA 480i component):

"Law & Order" comparison between HD version (1080i component from cable) and DVD version (480p HDMI from PS3) using the exact same scene:

For additional pictures of "Law & Order" (HD and DVD) playing on the 747i click the following links:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post13659391
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post13659938

Guys, it's time for me to stop worrying about pictures and "banding" and just enjoy this bad boy. I will still post observations from time to time in the near future but I'm done taking photos or worrying about the conversion process. Even with its flaws (which are not insignificant) the 747i is perfect for my needs and I'm keeping it. Enjoy it, life is short!
post #205 of 5076 Old 03-16-2007, 02:21 PM
T2k

Quote:

Guys, I don't want to start a panic and hate to be the bearer of what could potentially be bad news. I've discovered that there is slight banding with my 747i that is only visible using an all-grey screen (like the one owners of Sharp D62U/D92U models use to detect it in their set's service menu). I can't feed my 747i a grey screen because my laptop resolution maxes out at 1230x780 (!) plus the VGA cable isn't carrying the signal from the laptop to the TV screen. I don't know of any service menus in the set that will give grey screen, but my SA 8300 HD DVR is preset at grey for the bars in 4:3 or letterboxed content. Whenever I switch between the HD DVR's two tuners in PIP (which in my case is often) I started noticing what appeared to be slight vertical bands during the split-screen when both tuners would be out while switching places. Even with my lowly Mini-DV camera to TIFF to JPEG picture process the bands were quite evident in both bright and dark settings (with the room's lights on as well as off):

The good news is that, outside of the all-grey screen in my 8300 HD DVR, these bands have not affected my viewing of regular TV, HDTV, XBox 360 videogames, DVD's and HD-DVD's in the slightest. But apparently the 747i isn't immune to whatever it is that makes current LCD panels exhibit this type of manufacturing defect. More to come.

Hmm, bad news, indeed. If it turns out to be visible otherwise too, send it back.
post #206 of 5076 Old 03-16-2007, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warder45 View Post

So not to knock Olevia but what is with the price? Olevia's used to be like Westinghouse in terms of cost; is the scaler driving the price up? or is it because it's brand new?

The video processor is most of it, but the fact that it has dual combo tuners (2 NTSC, 2 ATSC) and a bunch of other cool features, sets it apart from all other competitors. In this instance, you definitely get what you pay for.
post #207 of 5076 Old 03-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Dad its the 1080P VGA from the Xbox 360, it's way over bright compared to the other connection types, it needs to be turned way down and the bands will disappear. It happened on the Sharp in a much more dramatic way. Turn the brightness up and the backlights start to create these patterns, apparently it can happen on most LCD's. The trick is not to have it happen at normal brightness settings ( or develop a system so it doesn't happen at all). I noticed it when I plugged in the VGA, the blacks were washed out, so I turned it down and now the blacks are crisp and all bands are gone. The Sharp would be way to black and when the brightness was turned up so the blacks looked good, the bands would appear. The 747 is not banding at normal brightness, somehow the VGA signal needs far less brightness for some reason.
post #208 of 5076 Old 03-16-2007, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The bands didn't show up with the VGA cable on XBox 360. They appeared on component with regular TV settings using the SA 8300 HD DVR when flipping between PIP windows, the only way I can get grey in the entire screen. Again, outside of the grey screen these bands have not shown up during regular viewing or bothered me in the least. If it starts to though...
post #209 of 5076 Old 03-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The bands didn't show up with the VGA cable on XBox 360. They appeared on component with regular TV settings using the SA 8300 HD DVR when flipping between PIP windows, the only way I can get grey in the entire screen. Again, outside of the grey screen these bands have not shown up during regular viewing or bothered me in the least. If it starts to though...

Cool, did you notice the brightness of the Xbox VGA when using 6500K?

Also I have a Zeneth upconvert, and as I understand it better to set it to 480p and use the 747 to upconvert it rather tan set the DVD to 1080i?
post #210 of 5076 Old 03-16-2007, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

Cool, did you notice the brightness of the Xbox VGA when using 6500K?

Also I have a Zeneth upconvert, and as I understand it better to set it to 480p and use the 747 to upconvert it rather tan set the DVD to 1080i?

In order to have the RealtaHQV handle the dvd feed 100% you need to have the signal output @ 480i then it takes over with a 100% proper upscale/deinterlace.Any other like 480p/720p/1080i and the RealtaHqv is being sidabled sort to speak by the inferior scaler gpu in yur upconvert dvd player Techa.
With my Sony nc85h upconvert player if I use HDMI there is no way to downconvert/send @ normal 480i to my 747i.If I use 480p,etc; the player automaticly handles 100% of the signal conversion to the tv. I've found when I use component w/ progressive disabled the the upconvert by the sony is disabled and sent straight to the RealtaHqv via 480i and processed properly. I've evaluated both image versions up close but can't post pics yet so here's my verdict: 1) With hdmi/sony upconvert I get a stepping/severe aliasing effect on all content of the image(very similair to say running a older pc game with no anisotropic filtering and no anti-aliasing) along with noisy deinterlacing.....10' away it looks good & is minimally noticable depending on content.
2) With the signal fed 480i via component to the 747i, the stepping/severe-aliasing is non-existent and noisy deinterlacing is improved by I'd say 75%.....10' away it looks damn good.Though using component the image isnt as natural as using hdmi and sharpness/detail definitely takes a bit of pita tweaking.I used Terminator2:eXtremeDvd, which was remasted in 1080p telicone transfer, as one of the most perfect reference dvd's. Hope this helps.

P.S.-Is that pic 'Gears of War'? How is it?
I've been waiting for taht to come to pc.

Oh and I'm still baffled with this directv h20 reciever though.Freakin' thing is still overriding the 747i's realtaHqv and sd channels still look like bantha fodder....even when set to native and 480i only.

"Very few high-definition TVs achieve that elusive sense of looking out a window but the Syntax-Brillian Olevia 747i is one of them delivering some of the best video images I've seen in a long time." 2007

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page