~Official Olevia 747i/742i owners thread - Page 84 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2491 of 5076 Old 05-13-2008, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone. I just ordered this Tv from Compusa.com yesterday. They called and said it will be arriving on Monday. This tv is replacing a Sceptre X46BV which had too many ailments for me to stand. Backlight bleed was rediculous, and the transformer hum was high enough to call a pack of wolves. With this tv I've heard of some humming but I hope mine is bareable enough to keep the set. What I wanted to know is if some one could clarify the "egg" artifact and also the "banding." I'm very critical with tv sets and with the cost of these things I'm not going to settle for anything. I hope this one is okay because I've seen the older Olivea set (247T FHD ) in the stores that look well without any stuck pixels or any artifacts that I could readily see......Basically, just tell me what to look for please, and thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 5076 Old 05-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbieskarb View Post

Hey everyone. I just ordered this Tv from Compusa.com yesterday. They called and said it will be arriving on Monday. This tv is replacing a Sceptre X46BV which had too many ailments for me to stand. Backlight bleed was rediculous, and the transformer hum was high enough to call a pack of wolves. With this tv I've heard of some humming but I hope mine is bareable enough to keep the set. What I wanted to know is if some one could clarify the "egg" artifact and also the "banding." I'm very critical with tv sets and with the cost of these things I'm not going to settle for anything. I hope this one is okay because I've seen the older Olivea set (247T FHD ) in the stores that look well without any stuck pixels or any artifacts that I could readily see......Basically, just tell me what to look for please, and thank you.

I can attest for the "eggs" as most of us can but after 2-3 weeks of use, they went away. You might or might not get them too but it should be nothing to worry about.

As far as the "banding" goes, so far DAD1153' set is the only reported case. But take into account, he's had his set ever since day one of the release date for these bad boys and it could be that his early production line unit is susceptible to this problem after long term usage. A lot of us just got ours so we can't say it will happen, if at all.

Sofa King Bananas

"My mother****** is so cool, when he goes to bed, sheep count him." Pinky

post #2493 of 5076 Old 05-13-2008, 09:00 PM

Okay thanks.....What about backlight bleed? I know LCD have some form of it but, I know it can be excessive (i.e. my Sceptre X46BV). Is there any common reports of excessive backlight bleed? Or do you experience any?
post #2494 of 5076 Old 05-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

I was very worried about the "eggs" when I ordered this set also. So when I recieved the set and the eggs were bright, and pronounced, I was very vocal about it in posts on this forum. I have had many LCD's and I've never had one improve in performance after "break-in", so I was really worried. Less than a week later they were completely gone and the screen was completely uniform. This on a set on which they were very obvious when I first recieved it. The panel does have some backlight bleed on a black screen (mostly in the bottom corners) but it is not discernable in use at all, even in very dark scenes. I have 0 dead pixels and no banding at all. I've had this set now for a couple of months and I think it was a great purchase (c'mon, $1,100!? HUGE bang for the buck). I'll bet in a couple of years we'll still be able to get $600 or $700 for them when we want to trade up. What do you all think?
post #2495 of 5076 Old 05-13-2008, 11:27 PM

Thanks for the insight and encouragement. My last set left me with a lot to be disired. It had an astounding picture but the transformer buzz/humm could drive dogs crazy and the backlight bleed was a bit excessive for me. It didn't have any dead pixels though. So, I'm hoping I can get a good set with this Oly and be satisfied. I've heard/seen good things about it. (Ended up getting mine for $1099 on compusa.com/tigerdirect.com with the seemingly, 3 day sale, $100 less than the Sceptre.)
post #2496 of 5076 Old 05-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

The only unusual sound most of us 747 owners have to deal with is the "Eeep!". Yep, when you turn the set on the hamster inside let's out a chirp before he jumps on the wheel. We call it the "Eeep". lol
post #2497 of 5076 Old 05-14-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

^^^ Why did you trade your Samsung and Vizio HDTV's for an Olevia 747i? Seems like the Vizio (which is a good brand for the buck, I gave my sister a 32" Vizio last year and its still going strong) was a better fit for your needs than the 747i.

well... I've gone through 4 tv's in the past yr. The Samsung went black in the middle when watching for some weird reason. So it was declared defective and I was given a full refund. It also lacked a lot of features such as a QAM. The Vizio was great but it started to fail. When watching digital channels sometimes it would freeze and turn black. I would not be able to turn it off unless I pulled the power cord. It also had problems with audio via HDMI. I would lose audio then have to switch inputs to get it back. So here I am... Olevia 747i. Hopefully everything goes well. Everything is surge protected and scrubbed. (I also had another Samsung 40", 1080p LNT4066, but it was a lemon and sold it to a friend since I got such a good deal on it, he simply exchanged it and luckily hasn't had any issues)

I don't want to get anymore tv's... haha The backlight is very even on this screen! Contrast works for me and the picture is very uniform. The HD is flawless. Not a lot of jaggies as the deinterlacer works wonders. I stared at Samsungs all day and although this tv doesn't have as deep of blacks, the picture on the 747i seems cleaner to me.

I still think the menus are funky but I've learned to work them fairly well. I would have ended up with a plasma as I love the picture on it, but I wanted a good setup to hook up to my media pc so I figured LCD would be better. If this tv goes bad within the first yr... who knows. =P
post #2498 of 5076 Old 05-14-2008, 05:19 AM

the purple banding problem i was having with my xbox was due to a setting in the xbox - all is well now on that front!

i picked up a hd cable box (dct6200) to replace the dct2524, and unfortunately, the audio rca still makes the 747i have a humming noise, although it is not as pronounced as the 2524. i have been through all the settings on the tv and on the box, nothing changes it - looks like I have to live with it... the hd pic is very good, i am very happy, even though its hooked up by the 5 cable component (?) instead of the dvi-d connection...

say, how do I connect the 747i to the dvi-d connection?
post #2499 of 5076 Old 05-14-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave95 View Post

...say, how do I connect the 747i to the dvi-d connection?...

I bought myself a DVI to HDMI (Male) connector (Wal-Mart...$2X dollars). Worked good hooking my STB to a Samsung 930B. Better image than on my no-namer 19" TV tube. I'll be getting a ten footer from Monoprice once I'm ready to hook my PC to my Oly.

Remember: this will be only video. You'll still need the RCA's for audio (or optical).
post #2500 of 5076 Old 05-14-2008, 07:57 AM
nat

Quote:

the purple banding problem i was having with my xbox was due to a setting in the xbox - all is well now on that front!

i picked up a hd cable box (dct6200) to replace the dct2524, and unfortunately, the audio rca still makes the 747i have a humming noise, although it is not as pronounced as the 2524. i have been through all the settings on the tv and on the box, nothing changes it - looks like I have to live with it... the hd pic is very good, i am very happy, even though its hooked up by the 5 cable component (?) instead of the dvi-d connection...

say, how do I connect the 747i to the dvi-d connection?

I have my TV set and everything else (STB, PS3, XBox, etc) get fed from a power cleaner unit(Monster HTS-2000). No humming whatsoever. I believe your humming issue is related to the noise on the power line. Get one of these units from whatever manufacturer you prefer. I have had mine for a few years, but I have seen nice Belkin units for a good price. You can try one of them and if that doesn't solve it, I guess you just return it

The "Eeeep" issue which BTW I have on my unit too, is most likely due to cheap components that are on the board and take time to warm up and come within the operating temp range as in my case the "Eeeeep" almost goes away when the TV is warm, say after 10min.

A DVI-HDMI cable would take care of the connection question, although you won't get sound through it as DVI does not carry audio and video as HDMI does.
Here is one on TD: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...CCODE=WEBBP655
post #2501 of 5076 Old 05-14-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

By contrast here's what my 747i looked like in March of '07 when I took a picture of a gray screen to see if I had banding as bad as the Sharp LCD's from that era:

The only potential cause for this new banding is that about two months ago I decided to start watching/playing SD material in 4x3 square mode again after going almost a year stretching SD material to fit the entire screen. So maybe that right band is caused by the line where a 4x3 image is black (or gray in my case) and leaves an imprint on plasmas. What makes me question this being the cause of the new band is that the left side of my Olevia 747i hasn't developed any banding even though both sides of the screen experienced the borders of 4x3 material. I'm going to start running SD material stretched again to see if this takes/minimizes away the banding on the right side, but it could take weeks (or never) for the banding to go away or disipate.

Guys, great news! The banding I saw over the past two weeks on the right side of my 747i has diminished considerably since I started stretching SD content to fill the entire screen. So I was wrong, it was the edge/border of SD 4x3 signals for two months straight (after a year of the set being used with SD stretched) that caused my banding. Its not completely gone as there is still a faint trace of a banding line on the right (very visible on a blank gray screen) but now I don't see it when the camera pans during regular programming that doesn't have gray colors on-screen (which is how I noticed it in the first place). I've watched a ton of SD programming (about 50-60% of my viewing on the 747i) since March of last year, so maybe my set's screen uniformity got used to my 'stretching' of SD signals and reacted when I switched/rediscovered 4x3 framing. There's no other explanation why the banding jumped out at me during "Tic Tac Dough" (a dark SD gameshow) a couple of weeks back, but this morning while watching the same show I barely saw the banding... and I was looking for it like a hawk and couldn't spot the line until I switched to an all-gray screen. The only thing I've done differently since spotting the banding was switch all my SD content so that its stretched, and that appears to have done the trick.

This is mixed news though because I bought into LCD technology and passed on plasma precisely to avoid any burn-in issues that are supposed to be common with the latter. Now I find 14 months after the fact that because my 747i is used to a stretched SD signal I can't switch it back to 4x3 because I risk banding that stays burned into the screen for hours/days. Maybe if you guys use your 747i's at 4x3 from the beginning for SD signals the screen will get used to this set-up and not add banding. Guess I'm stuck stretching SD on the 747i for the foreseable future, which sucks because I bought an LCD so I could watch/play SD stuff any way I want to (4x3, stretched, upside down, etc.) and not tippy-toe around this like a plasma. I'm relieved the banding is diminished (not completely gone yet) but a little poe'd I have to stretch my SD to prevent banding from coming back strong.
post #2502 of 5076 Old 05-14-2008, 09:21 AM
nat

Quote:

Guys, great news! The banding I saw over the past two weeks on the right side of my 747i has diminished considerably since ......... Guess I'm stuck stretching SD on the 747i for the foreseable future, which sucks because I bought an LCD so I could watch/play SD stuff any way I want to (4x3, stretched, upside down, etc.) and not tippy-toe around this like a plasma. I'm relieved the banding is diminished (not completely gone yet) but a little poe'd I have to stretch my SD to prevent banding from coming back strong.

I have my unit set on "Aspect" which provides full screen on HD channels and 4x3 on SD channels. I haven't noticed anything yet, but will report if I see any issues.
post #2503 of 5076 Old 05-14-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI_13 View Post

LOL

I was showing and preaching my friends about the good qualities of this TV comparing to the other TVs and during that demo I was showing them PIP with two HDMI inputs. After few minutes into PIP demo with two hdmi imputs TV died. I am not sure it is due to PIP with two hdmi inputs or some thing else. but you can imagine my feelings at that time.

btw, I used to see PIP with other sources before and it worked with out any issues. That was the first time I used two hdmi sources. I am not 100% sure that was the issue or not.

I use 2 HDMI PNP sources all the time. Set in split screen so My son and I can watch a race and play the PS3 at the same time.
post #2504 of 5076 Old 05-14-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckeye View Post

I bought myself a DVI to HDMI (Male) connector (Wal-Mart...$2X dollars). Worked good hooking my STB to a Samsung 930B. Better image than on my no-namer 19" TV tube. I'll be getting a ten footer from Monoprice once I'm ready to hook my PC to my Oly.

Remember: this will be only video. You'll still need the RCA's for audio (or optical).

the dvi-d, that is the same connector as for computer video cards isnt it? could you run it through the vga plug with an adapter?
post #2505 of 5076 Old 05-14-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:

the dvi-d, that is the same connector as for computer video cards isnt it? could you run it through the vga plug with an adapter?

That's my hope too, but I need something good for ~35 ft. This link explains it well.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...bles/index.htm
post #2506 of 5076 Old 05-14-2008, 02:15 PM

During the past few days I had been kicking myself since Sears began to clear out Sony SXRDs. The 55"s are at the same price point as the 747. I had been pining away for a good deal on a 50 or 55, but tired of waiting and jumped at the 747 since it was high on my list as well. I Just returned from my bud's house who was the proud new owner of the 55. Either it looked like crap or I'm completely spoiled by our TV. Whether it was Comcast HD, Blu-Ray PS3, on HD on demand, it wasn't even close. I know someone above mentioned their friend replace his with one of these. I bet he's wishing he didn't.
post #2507 of 5076 Old 05-14-2008, 03:28 PM
nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by minceman View Post

During the past few days I had been kicking myself since Sears began to clear out Sony SXRDs. The 55"s are at the same price point as the 747. I had been pining away for a good deal on a 50 or 55, but tired of waiting and jumped at the 747 since it was high on my list as well. I Just returned from my bud's house who was the proud new owner of the 55. Either it looked like crap or I'm completely spoiled by our TV. Whether it was Comcast HD, Blu-Ray PS3, on HD on demand, it wasn't even close. I know someone above mentioned their friend replace his with one of these. I bet he's wishing he didn't.

Realta is a good chip
post #2508 of 5076 Old 05-14-2008, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Have your SXRD owning buddy over to your place, show him your 747i in action (with HD content) and then tell him how much it cost you. If he's honest he'll tell you your Olevia looks better than your Sony. If the first thing he throws at you is that his SXRD is bigger than your 747i (the 'bigger is better' argument) don't argue with him but rest assured that deep inside your friend will be cursing at himself for blowing $1,200 on antiquated HD technology when he could have had a bang-for-buck champ like your Olevia.
post #2509 of 5076 Old 05-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Full game. Plays like the next incarnation of the arcade versions of "Sega Rally" and "Sega Rally 2" (that's a good thing) and looks gorgeous. Music sucks though (typical Sega-made generic guitar rock riffs) and "DiRT" is a better overall package. "Revo" is worth the $25 I paid for it.

I've been playing the demo on both the PS3 and the 360 and it's CRAZY fun. Might have to pick this one up too. AMAZON....!!!!

Where did you get it for $25?

Sofa King Bananas

post #2510 of 5076 Old 05-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTruong View Post

I love the tv, I just hope it holds up. There are a couple things I've noticed that the Vizio does a lot better though... standard def. channels for some reason looked better on the Vizio. There seems to be too much noise in the picture on the Olevia on the analog and digital channels. The analog tuner is a lot better on the Vizio (not like it'll matter much after Feb '09). Also, when split screen playing video games there is noticeable screen lag as appose to my Vizio which allowed me to watch tv and play games at the same time as well as playing two systems simultaneously. But eh... overall it's a nice set with insanely good build quality.

Do you notice any lag when just playing a game without PIP? Notice any difference between Game Mode on and off?

@ 747i owners - Can you do 1:1 with Game Mode on at that same time? If not, does Game Mode stretch 4:3 games?

post #2511 of 5076 Old 05-15-2008, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post

Do you notice any lag when just playing a game without PIP? Notice any difference between Game Mode on and off?

@ 747i owners - Can you do 1:1 with Game Mode on at that same time? If not, does Game Mode stretch 4:3 games?

yea game mode speeds it up. There's no noticeable lag in game mode which is nice... However it would be nice to be able to split screen it to two hdmi outputs and not notice lag. I'm a Call of Duty nut =P
post #2512 of 5076 Old 05-15-2008, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

747i owners - Can you do 1:1 with Game Mode on at that same time? If not, does Game Mode stretch 4:3 games?

Under Game Mode you can play 4:3 games 1:1 (they'd be a tiny portion of the screen though), stretched to 16x9 or in their original 4:3 aspect ratio. Example:

post #2513 of 5076 Old 05-15-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolff View Post

I use 2 HDMI PNP sources all the time. Set in split screen so My son and I can watch a race and play the PS3 at the same time.

Thank you for the feedback. So seems like TV that I got from Target was a lemon.
post #2514 of 5076 Old 05-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Hey guys, just one more question.

Which input looks the best with the 360? Component, HDMI, or VGA? Someone on here said the 360 looks "shadowy" over component, so I'm wondering if I should keep my Elite, which I have on eBay right now for auction. I had picked it up locally for a good deal because the A2020 I had wouldn't accept 1080P over component. I needed this to stream 1080P HD-WMV movies from my computer to the 360.

Every TV's electronics are different, so some have better component inputs, while others have better HDMI inputs, and that's why I ask.

post #2515 of 5076 Old 05-15-2008, 05:12 PM
nat

Quote:

Which input looks the best with the 360? Component, HDMI, or VGA? Someone on here said the 360 looks "shadowy" over component, so I'm wondering if I should keep my Elite, which I have on eBay right now for auction. I had picked it up locally for a good deal because the A2020 I had wouldn't accept 1080P over component. I needed this to stream 1080P HD-WMV movies from my computer to the 360.

Every TV's electronics are different, so some have better component inputs, while others have better HDMI inputs, and that's why I ask.

I use my Xbox-360 on the VGA port and that is fine.
post #2516 of 5076 Old 05-15-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:

I'm running my 360 via component and it looks more or less (I didn't really see a difference) the same as it does on HDMI (it's not the elite, but does have hdmi). So don't worry about it looking bad on component, I have played lots of hours and it looks fabulous.
post #2517 of 5076 Old 05-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm the one that said that but I said it because I can see the differece. If you have the choice, always go with hdmi first. Now, also keep in mind that I said that in reference to the 360 dashboard. Now, if you come across a TV and hdmi is not it's strongest input method, you might want to think about scrapping it.

Sofa King Bananas

post #2518 of 5076 Old 05-16-2008, 09:12 AM

Back to "sale" price at TigerDirect.
post #2519 of 5076 Old 05-16-2008, 09:31 AM

I am a videographer\\cinematographer and a former coordinator of Panavision Canada and hopefully have what is expected to be a honed sensibility for image reproduction.
As I posted earlier, I have been concerned (code for obsessed) with the black levels of the 747i. As a result I spent an evening watching scenes of what I've come to consider one of the best "test" DVDs, Ripley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven. It's a very challenging film for displays to render correctly for its varying dark, blue, red and detailed vista, scenes. What I have concluded is this, the 747i weakness is a by product of its strength. In other words the ability the 747i has to render a video interpretation of cinematic dynamic range is incomparable. And in fact displays made by the majority of other consumer brands emphasize the wrong aspects of the movie image.

I took my DVD player and "Kingdom" DVD to 3 stores and watched a variety of the newest Sony, Sharp and Samsung displays. Here is what I solidly believe; the extreme black levels achieved by displays with ridiculously high contrast ratios come at a price. They are being marketed in a fashion similar to the way that digital cameras have been marketed in regards to often irrelevant MPEG ratings. The cost comes in the way of videoish artifacting and what I will now call the "raunchy raccoon effect". In dark scenes on all of these sets the blues and reds were dirty and busy. Shadowed eye sockets in particular were noticeable and the colour was always blotchy. In addition with finely detailed vistas there was consistent video pixel sparkle. None of these artifacts occur with the 747i which is silky smooth while maintaining absolute sharpness like a film negative. There’s no pixel dance, instead a rock solid picture of whatever texture. It now occurs to me what the people at Wired Magazine were getting at in their review.

As I thought about it more I decided that the black levels of these new sets represent an IMPOSED BLACK LEVEL that severely interferes with the natural dynamic range and detail of the majority of cinematography (from a film negative or HD24p source). The fact is those deep black levels don’t exist in the camera, negative, tape or HD recorder and the way they’re being processed has a harmful effect on other elements of the image.

The truth is the 747i reflects the good and bad of what most often goes up on the big screen. That is; beautiful colour, controlled dynamic range AND POOR black levels.

The exception is with CG animated films and graphics which DO provide velvet black levels and is one of the reasons why they look so good on Sharp’s Aquos for instance and are used by sales people. When I see the majority of displays now in the stores they come across as glorified TV’s with fake blacks and I realize I was blinded by that single obsession when first analyzing the Olevia at home. I had to take the time to make a “big picture” comparison and to take into consideration all factors.

Conclusion:

The 747i is the filmgoers display and its silky yet sharp offering of motion picture imagery provides the truest and most accurate reproduction of what is actually on a film print when compared with most other LCDs or plasmas. In fact it has an uncanny ability to evoke the emotional response of watching a projected film.
post #2520 of 5076 Old 05-16-2008, 10:38 AM
nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon1 View Post

I am a videographer\\cinematographer and a former coordinator of Panavision Canada and hopefully have what is expected to be a honed sensibility for image reproduction.

Conclusion:

The 747i is the filmgoers display and its silky yet sharp offering of motion picture imagery provides the truest and most accurate reproduction of what is actually on a film print when compared with most other LCDs or plasmas. In fact it has an uncanny ability to evoke the emotional response of watching a projected film.

Thanks! I almost want to buy a second unit
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page