Advertisement

post #2 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Can anyone comment on experiences with a myHD card & the 47" Vizio? Specifically I'm wondering which has the better QAM tuner; the card or the TV.

Re: stuck pixels; I read once-upon-a-time that using a pencil w/ soft eraser that sometimes you could 'push' on the pixel & fix it. Is that not true or has anyone been able to 'coax' any dead pixels back to life on this tv? Here's what VIZIO has to say (new webpage design btw! Very cool)

--------
What is the zero bright pixel defect guarantee? Vizio has taken the lead with the best bright pixel policy that allows for zero bright pixels for the duration of the (limited) one year warranty. Please consult your user manual for more warranty details.

http://www.vizio.com/support/faqs/index.aspx

(select 'warranty & guarantees' option from the dropdown to see this)
--------

Re: 52" coming out in March(???) post #3554 in part I on this thread...any news on that? I really don't want to have to start weighing pros & cons of this..we're looking to buy in the next week..and a 52" w/ some tech improvements at a $300ish price diff from 47" could really throw a kink in our plans...
post #3 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

I tried the thing of taking a damp washcloth and pressing the pixel with a ball-point pen tip through the washcloth, holding pressure, and turning the TV on. That didn't work.

Also, I tried using software from the internet that rapidly changes colors over the stuck pixels. Supposedly to flash it rapidly 60 times a second for a long time, that is suppose to unstick the pixel. That didn't work either.

If you google for it, you will see that in most cases those things don't work. Basically, if the pixel is stuck, it is stuck that way forever.

I realize Vizio has a zero bright pixel guarantee. I'm sure if I call them they will offer to send a new set. However, since I have gone through 4 sets already (2 with stuck pixels, one with bad speaker hum, and one with a cracked bezel) I have pretty much lost faith in Vizio. So back to Costco I go for my money back.
post #4 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyvram View Post

a 52" w/ some tech improvements at a $300ish price diff from 47" could really throw a kink in our plans...

There are no tech improvements with the new 52". Read the pdf flyer from Vizio for the 47" and compare it to the 52". The panel is the same, just 5 inches bigger. Same specs.
post #5 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

One more comment (and dont take this as flame bait..but a general question); do you think you'll have better luck with another manufacturer? What I mean by that, is the 'pixel' issue worse with some LCD makers? Is this a 'quality control' issue on the assembly line? Or do all LCDs suffer from the same potential issues.

Realy..not intended to inflame..just curious if this issue is generic across all brands or if some do a better job of having zero dead pixels?
post #6 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post

There are no tech improvements with the new 52". Read the pdf flyer from Vizio for the 47" and compare it to the 52". The panel is the same, just 5 inches bigger. Same specs.

Well, thats answers my question. ;-) The 52" is really too big anyway for where we want to put it. I hope they don't discontinue the 47" too quickly in lieu of that.

Thanks!
post #7 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 11:07 AM

I guess I'm just lucky, but I have had no problems with my 47. I bought it the first day of the coupon and have no problem with hum, backlight leakage, stuck pixels, or any of the other problems. Also, I thought the 52 inch that will be coming out soon had different video processing. If this is true, I don't think it's fair to say there are no improvements before seeing the tv in action to see if the processing is better.

HD DVD - 60
Blu-Ray - Lost Count
post #8 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've had my Vizio 47" without problems.

The only question I have for others is if people noticed on their sets that Deleted channels seem to come back after being removed manually from the Channel lineup after turning off the set?

I have asked this question before on other huge thread, but it got buried so fast because the thread was so big. Was wondering if others had this issue.
Otherwise very pleased with the 47".
post #9 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 11:49 AM

I'm still waiting to hear back from Vizio about the Sync issue. Its really driving me crazy, I also had the phone # and extension to a guy at Vizio and I lost it Now I gotta wait on hold when I call back.
post #10 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 12:30 PM
GGG

Quote:

I read a CES PR release somewhere talking about an improved "Aztec or Cortez" processor or something along those lines, along with a USB port. So there are a couple of improvements right there. I hope to see improvement especially on the audio/video synch as Vizio tech support has not responded to my 47' synch problem, nor do I expect them to. My 47 is glitch-free, aside from the audio delay, but on content with dialog it can be unbearable to watch at times. I'll just return the 47 and get the 52 if it looks like there are no new QC issues on the 52. Otherwise, I'll be waiting for a band-free 52" D92 Sharp or it's successor. Meanwhile, the 47 still provides the best LCD value with an outstanding picture for the price.
post #11 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Hi all,

Can anyone comment on experiences with a myHD card & the 47" Vizio? Specifically I'm wondering which has the better QAM tuner; the card or the TV.

Re: stuck pixels; I read once-upon-a-time that using a pencil w/ soft eraser that sometimes you could 'push' on the pixel & fix it. Is that not true or has anyone been able to 'coax' any dead pixels back to life on this tv? Here's what VIZIO has to say (new webpage design btw! Very cool)

--------
What is the zero bright pixel defect guarantee? Vizio has taken the lead with the best bright pixel policy that allows for zero bright pixels for the duration of the (limited) one year warranty. Please consult your user manual for more warranty details.

http://www.vizio.com/support/faqs/index.aspx

(select 'warranty & guarantees' option from the dropdown to see this)
--------

Re: 52" coming out in March(???) post #3554 in part I on this thread...any news on that? I really don't want to have to start weighing pros & cons of this..we're looking to buy in the next week..and a 52" w/ some tech improvements at a $300ish price diff from 47" could really throw a kink in our plans...

March was the original planned market entrance, but then pushed to June. Although a periodical named "TWICE" or (This Week In Electronics) has stated a market entry for the 52" in August. My guess would be August since the release has been pushed back once already and that would coinside with the Fall Football season wich in electronics namely HDTV's is a huge time of year just under Christmas. Food for thought!!!
post #12 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Well, thats answers my question. ;-) The 52" is really too big anyway for where we want to put it. I hope they don't discontinue the 47" too quickly in lieu of that.

Thanks!

Vizio will not be do away with the 47" it was that model that is causing a huge stir in this CES market right now. No, their quite prowd of that little guy...er! Big guy. There just going to give it a big brother!!!
post #13 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One more comment (and dont take this as flame bait..but a general question); do you think you'll have better luck with another manufacturer? What I mean by that, is the 'pixel' issue worse with some LCD makers? Is this a 'quality control' issue on the assembly line? Or do all LCDs suffer from the same potential issues.

Realy..not intended to inflame..just curious if this issue is generic across all brands or if some do a better job of having zero dead pixels?

I don't know if I'll have better luck with another manufacturer. But I do know that I went through 4 Vizio 47's so far, and I don't plan on getting number 5.

I remember reading an article from Samsung about 2 years ago. It said that at the Samsung plant they discarded about 40% of all panels produced on the line because of stuck/dead pixels. It was just considered a cost of doing business. Samsung wasn't any better than anyone else at producing the panels, they just did a good job screening and discarding bad ones. The stuck pixels issues is probably more of a Quality Assurance screening issue after the panel is produced. Because all manufacturers have a high percentage of bad panels coming off the line. I don't know if things have gotten any better in the last two years since the article was written.
post #14 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

I read a CES PR release somewhere talking about an improved "Aztec or Cortez" processor or something along those lines, along with a USB port. So there are a couple of improvements right there. I hope to see improvement especially on the audio/video synch as Vizio tech support has not responded to my 47' synch problem, nor do I expect them to. My 47 is glitch-free, aside from the audio delay, but on content with dialog it can be unbearable to watch at times. I'll just return the 47 and get the 52 if it looks like there are no new QC issues on the 52. Otherwise, I'll be waiting for a band-free 52" D92 Sharp or it's successor. Meanwhile, the 47 still provides the best LCD value with an outstanding picture for the price.

I just hope the Aztec or Cortez processor does a better job with contrast ratio and black levels...

I have the 52" Sharp, and I love it. I have to thank Vizio though, because I think one of the reasons Sharp dropped the price on the 52" is because of companies like Vizio. Once Vizio releases a 52" below 2 grand, then there is no way other companies can charge between 3 and 5 grand for the same size. They will have to drop prices.
post #15 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 01:53 PM

Question about qam,
when i do the auto scan for channels it picks up a bunch of digital qam channels from Charter in St. Louis. some of these are other peoples vod. Now when i am watching one of these channels (usually 101.??-104.??) and they stop the channel the vizio tuner looses the whole subchannel that is if i was on 101.103 and it gets turned off i loose all the 101 channels. Does anyone else experience this and how to get around it. I have to to another auto scan to get the channels back.
post #16 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:

I have the 52" Sharp, and I love it.

I found that model to be well suited to display of music videos, as it's got plenty of BANDing.
post #17 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejck View Post

Question about qam,
when i do the auto scan for channels it picks up a bunch of digital qam channels from Charter in St. Louis. some of these are other peoples vod. Now when i am watching one of these channels (usually 101.??-104.??) and they stop the channel the vizio tuner looses the whole subchannel that is if i was on 101.103 and it gets turned off i loose all the 101 channels. Does anyone else experience this and how to get around it. I have to to another auto scan to get the channels back.

I get the same thing here in So Cal on Time-Warner (Channels 112-xx and 113.xx here). Sometimes I can watch the movie (someone else's on-demand movie or program) all the way through and othertimes it will play for about 5 minutes then freeze up. But typically right after a fresh channel scan I'll get 2 or 3 new movies (on demand I assume) but lose them after I turn the TV off until I do another channel scan.
post #18 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 04:22 PM
GGG

Quote:

I just hope the Aztec or Cortez processor does a better job with contrast ratio and black levels...

I have the 52" Sharp, and I love it. I have to thank Vizio though, because I think one of the reasons Sharp dropped the price on the 52" is because of companies like Vizio. Once Vizio releases a 52" below 2 grand, then there is no way other companies can charge between 3 and 5 grand for the same size. They will have to drop prices.

Sounds like we have been through the same LCD beta test process. Had a 46 Viz with hum, tried the Sharp 52 D62 series @ Costco, took it back in 2 days with bad banding, traded the Viz 46 for the Viz 47...now waiting for the 'perfect" 52. I may be waiting quite awhile.

That 52" Sharp does have an awesome picture, I just couldn't stomach having $3K invested in something not perfect. You are indeed lucky to have no banding!

I was at Magnolia AV the other day and they had both Sharp 52's (62 & 92) side by side and wow the colors and blacks on the 92 are incredible, almost plasma like....funny though, when you compare the Viz to the Sharp D62 the Sharp wins hands down, same thing when I saw the D62 vs. D92, the D92 wins....that is until you get in your house and with nothing to compare it to...the Viz wins by default...IMO it does have the nicest cabinet aesthetic's out there, not the best picture, but certainly the best for the $$$.
post #19 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

...improved "Aztec or Cortez" processor or something along those lines, along with a USB port. So there are a couple of improvements right there...

And four HDMI inputs
post #20 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Which is a better choice the vizio or this sammy ?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GDEZLG/...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm leaning towards the vizio ... (obviously the price...)

----------------------------------------------
post #21 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 06:33 PM

And P-I-P. That's another plus.

BTW, I was at Viz HQ in Irvine, CA the other day and the rep said that last she heard the Big Viz would be out June-July.
Their new showroom will be up in about a month. I will be calling them every few days and plan to hit it as soon as it's running. I will report back on whether the 52 is displayed. But I'm also very interested in seeing the 47 in what hopefully will be a properly calibrated picture. Then I can really see how this thing will look in my home. I've heard such bad things on these boards about the setup in the stores.

"Some days it isn't worth chewing through the restraints."
post #22 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 06:51 PM

Wow. After reading some recent posts I looked at my set with a black screen and counted no less than 8 stuck/bright pixels. I initially looked at the blue screen and didn't notice any and thought I was good because I had two very noticeable stuck pixels on my first set on the blue screen, but looking at a black screen I am very disturbed.

No hum like my first set, but a backlight buzz that is noticable from 10+ ft with backlight set from 1-82.

May have to take back or do another exchange. Have to think about this one...

I think I was so excited to get a set that didn't hum that I overlooked...
post #23 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 06:58 PM

Hello all i am looking at the Visio 42" or Sceptre 42" lcd I didn't see a thread for it. Anyway as always I want the best for less! can anyone shead some light on these two tvs or any other i might wanna look at in the $1200 range

Thanks
post #24 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:

Is the 47" panel 120Hz....I don't recall that it is. That would be a tech improvement. I believe that it will also have a different chip.

Can anyone confirm my assumptions?

Frankly, 5 inches diaganol is a whole lot of area and worth the wait for me.
post #25 of 1987 Old 03-13-2007, 09:49 PM

Can someone with a recent build report what firmware version they have? I've got a Dec 06 model, and the only issue we've experienced is the occasional audio lag on some HD content, which I *hope* to be addressable with a firmware update.
post #26 of 1987 Old 03-14-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugga22 View Post

I guess I'm just lucky, but I have had no problems with my 47. I bought it the first day of the coupon and have no problem with hum, backlight leakage, stuck pixels, or any of the other problems. Also, I thought the 52 inch that will be coming out soon had different video processing. If this is true, I don't think it's fair to say there are no improvements before seeing the tv in action to see if the processing is better.

I also have been extremely lucky; bought it on the first day of the Costco coupon and have had ZERO problems, and just love this TV. I have 1080P from my Mac mini with no overscan problems, great Blu-ray PQ from my PS3, and even good PQ from Comcast. I also have had zero problems with the 37" Vizio.

I am a very satisfied Vizio customer.
post #27 of 1987 Old 03-14-2007, 06:30 AM

I believe this is actually the wrong thread to ask about this, but does anybody know anything about the 60" VIZIO VM60P?
It's really too cheap to be true.

From what I gathered from this thread, most people seem to feel that the picture is in fact good but most units show some kind of faukt within the first week or so.
Is this correct?

How would you compare the picture quality to others like Samsung, Panasonic, Philips etc.?
And would you say that you can safely buy one, even if you are not really in the position to send it back 5 times until one unit finally lives through the first week?
post #28 of 1987 Old 03-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Hey,

I saw some preliminary discussion of Oppo 981s hooked up to the 47" Vizio but that conversation faded away.

2-3 months after install of 47" & Oppo..anyone care to elaborate on their experience? Is this DVD player worth the $230? Does it really look good on this Vizio model or are there any gotchas anyone has found after running this for a couple of months?

TIA
post #29 of 1987 Old 03-14-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigFamily View Post

Can someone with a recent build report what firmware version they have? I've got a Dec 06 model, and the only issue we've experienced is the occasional audio lag on some HD content, which I *hope* to be addressable with a firmware update.

I'm supposed to receive my "hummer" replacement today. Will post tonight with the build date - I'm hoping for a March build but not holding my breath, and I'm hoping it arrives without a cracked bezel like sir frank.

Addendum -

It's here - woo hoo. No buzz/hum, no audio lag so far, no stuck pixels.

Feb 07 build - Firmware = 1.10
post #30 of 1987 Old 03-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Wait a minute..did I totally miss something? From the Vizio 47" Manual:

" Note: The HDMI Input is for HD Video and will only support 640x480 at 60Hz from a PC. Use the RGB
PC input for a greater selection of PC formats. "

I thought using a dvi -> hdmi cable out from your PC you could get 1080p (ie 1920x1080) resolution? What is the truth here? Will the PC signal only show up at 640x480 on this LCD via hdmi/dvi input?

What did I miss in this massive thread?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page