Official Samsung LN-T4061F/LN-T4065F/LN-T4661F/LN-T4665F/LN-T5265F Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #451 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I just sat and read this entire thread (only took a few hours) and I was wondering if anyone knew how long you can leave these sets in 4:3 mode without the black bars hurting the screen. For the 409x's it was only 2 hours. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

anyone buying such a TV should understand SD can only be made to look so good with the math of 480i unless you have something like an HQV chip or an ADT102 Card from a Video Processor. SD is to be avoided and most will eventually transition away from it in the next few years - competition will and is forcing it but unfortunately it's occurring in baby steps.

Funny you mention this. I went with an Olevia 747i precisely because it had a Realta HQV chip to make SD look tolerable. Sorry Westa, but your "turdvision" rez has a ton of content (movies, TV shows, DVD's, videogames, etc.) that simply isn't available on HD or unlikely to be available anytime soon. The lack of any mention of SD-smoothing features from the Samsung promotional material made me abandon the Sammy 61/65F series, which saddened me because those CR stats and user-opinions make these out to be killer sets for HD. It's a good time to buy HD though; plenty of options for HD-seeking noobs or SD-loving freaks like me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #453 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintx View Post

Well, I just sat and read this entire thread (only took a few hours) and I was wondering if anyone knew how long you can leave these sets in 4:3 mode without the black bars hurting the screen. For the 409x's it was only 2 hours. Thanks.

I think Samsung states in the user manual of their lcds that you shouldn't have those black bars on your screen for more than 2 hours at a time.
post #454 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 03:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY View Post

Hi,

In reading through this thread, I think it has been confirmed that the settings save for each input, unlike the LNS**95/96 models.

The 4066F does indeed save your picture settings per input. If you have Movie mode for cable, Dynamic for games, and standard for DVDs, when you toggle the source, the mode you had it in is intact per source. Also to my suprise, with each input you can tweak the display modes. So if you like playing games with the brightness at 10 in Dynamic mode but like watching DVDs at 6 brightness in Dynamic mode, the settings stay intact.
post #455 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Funny you mention this. I went with an Olevia 747i precisely because it had a Realta HQV chip to make SD look tolerable. Sorry Westa, but your "turdvision" rez has a ton of content (movies, TV shows, DVD's, videogames, etc.) that simply isn't available on HD or unlikely to be available anytime soon. The lack of any mention of SD-smoothing features from the Samsung promotional material made me abandon the Sammy 61/65F series, which saddened me because those CR stats and user-opinions make these out to be killer sets for HD. It's a good time to buy HD though; plenty of options for HD-seeking noobs or SD-loving freaks like me.

How could you abandon something that wasn't even out when you made the decision to buy the 747i? OK, I'm not sure that is a fact; but the reviews on the Sammy's have just started to come in. That said, no one has really given a full report on SD performance on the new Sammy's. Lots of HD input and source media tests, but no one has specifically posted anything about upscaled DVDs or a full review of non-stretched 4:3 SD content. Would welcome such feedback / input from the current owners. Me thinks it too early to throw in the towel on these sets as bad SD performers.

I still think buying a next gen HDTV with SD as a primary driver doesn't make a lot of sense, but obviously there are a lot of people that take their SD very seriously. I've accepted the fact that SD on HDTV's generally amplifies an already poor source; and I'm not willing to pay extra to ever so slightly compensate for it.

Anyway, back on point, can current owners run some more test on SD.

Thanks!
post #456 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 04:29 PM

Could someone please measure the width side to side on their LN-T4066F . I'm trying to find out if I could fit it in my entertainment center. Best Buys website states product width of 39" yet on Samsung's site for the LN-T4065F model it shows a width of 41" . The
LN-T4065F and the LN-T4066F are the same set correct? Also, what is the correct width? Thanks.
post #457 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall110 View Post

The 4066F does indeed save your picture settings per input. If you have Movie mode for cable, Dynamic for games, and standard for DVDs, when you toggle the source, the mode you had it in is intact per source. Also to my suprise, with each input you can tweak the display modes. So if you like playing games with the brightness at 10 in Dynamic mode but like watching DVDs at 6 brightness in Dynamic mode, the settings stay intact.

Thats good to hear. But...from at the xx65 manual it appears that Samsung have done away with the additional Custom/User picture mode that was in the xx96 series. Can you confirm that?
post #458 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew138 View Post

How could you abandon something that wasn't even out when you made the decision to buy the 747i? OK, I'm not sure that is a fact...

When I bought the 747i earlier this month I was seriously contemplating waiting for the upcoming 61/65 Sammy models (which were announced as far back as CES '07 so their existence was well-known) or go with the LN-5296D or 4695/96 models at cheaper prices. Reports then trickled of the 747i been an excellent HD and SD performer, I weighed my options (pros and cons of waiting for the 61/65 Sammy's) and pulled the trigger on the 747i when an exceptional deal came on.

Quote:

I still think buying a next gen HDTV with SD as a primary driver doesn't make a lot of sense, but obviously there are a lot of people that take their SD very seriously. I've accepted the fact that SD on HDTV's generally amplifies an already poor source; and I'm not willing to pay extra to ever so slightly compensate for it.

If the new Sammy LCD's can deliver SD that looks like this (courtesy of ptoofan over at the 747i thread)...

... then more power to you guys, I blew it. My own viewing habits dictate that SD (which still makes a substantial amount of my daily viewing two weeks after I became a high definition customer) has to look as close to passable as possible. It was such a big deal to me that I was willing to sacrifice HDMI 1.3 inputs, higher contrast ratios (10/15,000:1 versus the 747i's 1,600:1 ) and weight (the 747i weighs twice what the 61/65 46" sets weigh) for the Realta HQV inside the Series 7 Olevia's. To each his/her priorities I guess. Isn't it nice to have options though?

post #459 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinelo View Post

Could someone please measure the width side to side on their LN-T4066F . I'm trying to find out if I could fit it in my entertainment center. Best Buys website states product width of 39" yet on Samsung's site for the LN-T4065F model it shows a width of 41" . The
LN-T4065F and the LN-T4066F are the same set correct? Also, what is the correct width? Thanks.

No - the 4065 and 4066 are not the same set. The widths for the sets you're interested in are: 4061F = 38.2", 4065F = 40.9", 4066F = 39"
post #460 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 05:23 PM

Quick questions abut the 4661.

1. Can someone measure the distance from the stand to where the screen starts? I need to fit a center channel speaker here so it's important my center channel won't block the screen.

2. Is the remote sensor in the center of the TV? (Again a center channel placement issue).
post #461 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 06:08 PM

is the LN-T4661f is that HDMI 1.3 or is it something else

I know the LN-T4665f is HDMI 1.3

I only want to buy a TV once so I am looking for what is True HD Picture via HDMI 1.3 and I want to get a PS3 because that is also HDMI 1.3 and then I will wait for the new recievers to come out with HDMI 1.3 thanks jim
post #462 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:

If the new Sammy LCD's can deliver SD that looks like this (courtesy of ptoofan over at the 747i thread)...... then more power to you guys, I blew it.

The Man makes a good point. Those SD images (if genuine) are to be envied. Any owners up to a "SD Shootout"?
post #463 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Thats good to hear. But...from at the xx65 manual it appears that Samsung have done away with the additional Custom/User picture mode that was in the xx96 series. Can you confirm that?

Unfortunately they're are only 3 picture modes: Dynamic, Standard, and Movie. I wishe there was at least 1 custom if not 2. I wonder if they could change this in a firmware update.
post #464 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 06:39 PM
NYY

Quote:

Hi,

I am narrowing down my purchase between the 4661 and the 4665. Can anyone speak to one vs. the other with respect to the 61 having 16 bit processing and the 65 10bit? Better picture, quality?

In reading through this thread, I think it has been confirmed that the settings save for each input, unlike the LNS**95/96 models.

Lastly, can anyone speak to the differences between 65/66? And of course, they are not up on the Samsung website. If the differences are worthwhile, I may hold out for the 4666. Right now, I can't find any outlet locally that sells the 4666, but there are some that have the 4066, but not the 4065, and of course, the saleman can't tell me what the difference is.

I appreciate any feed back on this and all of the info everyone took the time to post so far. It has been a great help.

Thanks Marshall110 for the add'l info on the input settings...good stuff.

Can anyone else speak to #1 (10bit vs. 16bit) and #3 (65 vs. 66, and if they are making the 46" in the 66)? If you do have a 66, maybe you could reference the Samsung website for the differences to your model. I appreciate it.
post #465 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew138 View Post

How could you abandon something that wasn't even out when you made the decision to buy the 747i? OK, I'm not sure that is a fact; but the reviews on the Sammy's have just started to come in. That said, no one has really given a full report on SD performance on the new Sammy's. Lots of HD input and source media tests, but no one has specifically posted anything about upscaled DVDs or a full review of non-stretched 4:3 SD content. Would welcome such feedback / input from the current owners. Me thinks it too early to throw in the towel on these sets as bad SD performers.

Anyway, back on point, can current owners run some more test on SD.

Thanks!

I belive I gave an ok review on the 66's SD. I dont belive its my cable box since HD comes out Excellent, beyond expectations, while the SD is just not watchable. Even tho this TV is amazing I think I will be returning it T_T The amount of SD to HD that I have available is so big that I can't sacrafice the SD right now. That 747i is looking real good about now...
post #466 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:

When I bought the 747i earlier this month I was seriously contemplating waiting for the upcoming 61/65 Sammy models (which were announced as far back as CES '07 so their existence was well-known) or go with the LN-5296D or 4695/96 models at cheaper prices. Reports then trickled of the 747i been an excellent HD and SD performer, I weighed my options (pros and cons of waiting for the 61/65 Sammy's) and pulled the trigger on the 747i when an exceptional deal came on.

If the new Sammy LCD's can deliver SD that looks like this (courtesy of ptoofan over at the 747i thread)...

... then more power to you guys, I blew it. My own viewing habits dictate that SD (which still makes a substantial amount of my daily viewing two weeks after I became a high definition customer) has to look as close to passable as possible. It was such a big deal to me that I was willing to sacrifice HDMI 1.3 inputs, higher contrast ratios (10/15,000:1 versus the 747i's 1,600:1 ) and weight (the 747i weighs twice what the 61/65 46" sets weigh) for the Realta HQV inside the Series 7 Olevia's. To each his/her priorities I guess. Isn't it nice to have options though?

Thats some amazing SD. Im thinking of returning my Samsung for the 747i (god I never thought I would say that) I wont make any rash decisons yet tho, I'll be waiting for Samsung to get some more techincal support resources on the set and see what they say.
post #467 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmizzionz View Post

Thats some amazing SD. Im thinking of returning my Samsung for the 747i (god I never thought I would say that) I wont make any rash decisons yet tho, I'll be waiting for Samsung to get some more techincal support resources on the set and see what they say.

Tazzmizzionz,

Does your cable company transmit SD channels as digital or analog? Are you using a cable box or the QAM tuner? Those pictures are awesome for SD.
post #468 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Considering that each panel is a clone of one another the differentiating factor here is YOUR Source and Cables. Have you considered your STB and feed is a POS? Not all factors are inherent in the TV especially when you are reporting as the miniority of such events?

Were it inherent in the panel it would be the majority reporting your events and they are not. I own four LCD's and even on my 57" SD is fine to watch but comparatively it's not something I look forward to viewing - anyone buying such a TV should understand SD can only be made to look so good with the math of 480i unless you have something like an HQV chip or an ADT102 Card from a Video Processor. SD is to be avoided and most will eventually transition away from it in the next few years - competition will and is forcing it but unfortunately it's occurring in baby steps.

I hope its my cable box but the thing is we have another HD Cable box hooked up to a HD LCD and the SD and HD are both great on that one.

I do know that SD wont look as good on HD but I have had multiple HD LCDs before and they have never looked this bad on SD. I will be switching the HD Cable boxes between the LCDs to see if its just the box. Wish me luck.
post #469 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattprice82 View Post

I don't have any artifacting during SD content and the sound holds fine. Interestingly enough, my sound cuts out at regular intervals while watching HD content. I pretty sure its something wrong with the cable box because I've tested the input with other devices/cables and never had any problems with other components. How is your SD connected? I'm using HDMI

Who is your content provider? I'm using comcast.

Ive connected the SD thru regular cable wire, composite, component and HDMI. The quality of the picture gets better with the different cables but the artifcating and sound is evident in all 3. I will try via S-Video now and soon will change cable boxes to see if its that. Ill keep you guys updated.

My cable provider is Timer Warner Cable via a Scientifc Atlanta HD DVR.
post #470 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmizzionz View Post

you are really thinking about returning a tv with AMAZING HD quality for a set that has better SD quality? really?

that thought would never cross my mind.
post #471 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 07:46 PM

Can someone with a 4061 or 4066 help me with a couple issues? Do you have the ability to adjust tint when viewing both component and hdmi sources? How's the color accuracy? Any red push? Thanks for the insnight, I avoided previous Samsung models because of these issues.
post #472 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1005 View Post

you are really thinking about returning a tv with AMAZING HD quality for a set that has better SD quality? really?

that thought would never cross my mind.

agreed
post #473 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I like her music too, what's your point?

post #474 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 08:41 PM

Hey guys!!

I just got my new Samsung LN-T 4665 LCD from Bestbuy, (with 15% off) :-)
Nice set!! glossy finish, no clouding IM LOVING IT!
post #475 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=10&pp=30

Go to reply 276 and you will see some other shots of SD on this 747i tv. Not so impressive. I don't watch SD period so not a big deal for me. For others it might be. xbox360, hdtv, HTPC, ps3 blue ray is what I use this samsung monster for....

Hey UFO1922, what was the price you paid for your 65f. Wonder if I paid too much at best buy. Could you PM me your price before taxes?

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #476 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 09:00 PM

Here are power numbers using Kill-A-Watt, sort of. The TV is plugged into a UPS and the Kill-A-Watt into the UPS. The UPS by itself consumes 54 W, so all numbers should be minus 54 W.

Energy Saver set to Off
Backlight
10 = 315 W
9 = 281
8 = 240
7 = 252
6 = 236
5 = 222
4 = 207
3 = 191
2 = 178
1 = 163
0 = 147

Yes, 7 and 8 are correct, the set actually get a tad brighter going from 8 to 7.

Backlight set to 10
Evergy Saving set to
Off = 303 W
Low = 230
Medium = 216
High = 158

I have my TV set to Medium and 7, which is about 198 W minus 54 W = ~150 W which is nice and bright enough for daytime viewing. At this setting, blacks are so black that when the screen shows all black, I can't tell whether the TV is on or not. This is due to both the good blacks the panel has and the glossyness of it. With the 4095, I could always tell that the TV was on by the faint glow of the backlight on a black screen under the same lighting conditions.

The 65 series does indeed have 2.2 speakers. Tweeters are located on the sides. They produce sound at a small point (as in they aren't very large and don't run any substantial length along the side) and I think they're pretty decent. The subs are located on the bottom towards the rear and point downwards, and sound pretty lame like a cardboard box. Better than the 95/96 series at least.
post #477 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Marshall110 for the add'l info on the input settings...good stuff.
Can anyone else speak to #1 (10bit vs. 16bit) and #3 (65 vs. 66, and if they are making the 46" in the 66)? If you do have a 66, maybe you could reference the Samsung website for the differences to your model. I appreciate it.

Ditto on the 10bit vs 16bit question AND 15k:1 vs.10k:1 dyn contrast ratio also. No one seems to be able to repond/explain these differences between the 661F and 665F and

I'm curious to know why the 661 is ~14#'s lighter also.
-------------
In response to the 65 vs 66....the 66 has bottom speakers according to an earlier post.

dv
post #478 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 09:07 PM

I wonder how many folks would purchase a strictly HD package of about 12-15 channels (I'm assuming this is the the average HD channels available today) if they were currently offered by Comcast/TimeWarner/Direct TV for about $70-$80 a month with no option of SD channels? I'm asking the question because there are a lot of people willing to pay over 3-4k for a tv and don't care about SD or how SD looks.
post #479 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valoidr View Post

Ditto on the 10bit vs 16bit question AND 15k:1 vs.10k:1 dyn contrast ratio also. No one seems to be able to repond/explain these differences between the 661F and 665F and

I'm curious to know why the 661 is ~14#'s lighter also.
-------------
In response to the 65 vs 66....the 66 has bottom speakers according to an earlier post.

It's because everyone knows the difference
The 65 has more cr better quality pic and the glossy panel which creates glare at the expense of better color and picture quality
and the 61 has no glare and is 16bit as opposed to 10bit I don't think we have the technology to test 10bit vs 16bit but if we did so far nothing is showing that the 61fs 16bit gives any advantage over 65fs 10bit
post #480 of 4566 Old 03-25-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irocku1 View Post

I wonder how many folks would purchase a strictly HD package of about 12-15 channels (I'm assuming this is the the average HD channels available today) if they were currently offered by Comcast/TimeWarner/Direct TV for about $70-$80 a month with no option of SD channels? I'm asking the question because there are a lot of people willing to pay over 3-4k for a tv and don't care about SD or how SD looks.

I think those prices are exaggerated
And yes there are some who dont care for SD
I watch CNN sports and newer television shows-heroes prison break etc
I don't watch re-runs so the majority of my television watching is available in HD

I live in Canada so we have Rogers and we pay less than 70 Canadian for 22 HD channels and 150 SD, sadly I am not rich but I believe the majority of people in these forums are rich however even being a lesser rich person than most. I still feel the upgrade my movies and Tv to HD because that is what is happening in technology today (And mostly because it looks better and is more enjoyable )
Not to mention the majority of the reason I'd buy this set and most people do includes Gaming\\and using the tv as a pc monitor
so IMHO SD is a way of the past and if its you're thing then all the power to you
if I were more concerned about SD than HD I wouldnt be looking at a set like this
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Lnt4061f 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page