Official Samsung LN-T4061F/LN-T4065F/LN-T4661F/LN-T4665F/LN-T5265F Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #721 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haight View Post

Craig,

You might check the following settings in your ATi Catalyst Settings. Start by Right Mouse button click on the Desktop and then select "Properties" and then follow the RED CIRCLES on the following image for the configuration screens. Yours might be a little different depending on which version of the ATi drivers you are using and I have an ATI 9700 Pro AIW card...

Clilck on the following thumbnail to see the full size image...

So I downloaded the Catalyst drivers and installed. Tried over and over again and could not get them to work for the life of me. I really like all the features that it has but I could not get it to display on my 4066f. The best i could get was 1080i but the pic was all interlaced. So I uninstalled them and just used the simple driver that came with my ati 9550 card and it work fine. I am pretty pc savy but could not get the catalyst program to work. Man I wish I could figure this out so that I could use the Anti aliasing and all the 3d programs and other things included. I tried your tutorial but it didn't help. So I had to default back to the simple ATI drivers... Any other tips or ideas>?

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAESQ View Post

Hi All,

After trying 3 different tv sets (sony, mitsubishi, toshiba) in my quest for reasonable 46" 1080p LCD perfection, I believe I finally found exactly what I wanted in my new LN-T4661F.

Bought the set online at CC on Sunday night. Picked up at the store on Monday morning. Was able to apply $150 online coupon.

The set is close to perfection; no clouds or bands. The design is sexy and minimalist. HD performance (through D* TV and HD DVD) is stunning. SD channel performance is satisfying.

Together with my new set I bought a new Harmony 880 to replace my aging, battery-whoring 659 model.

Now my question: The Sony allows one to "delete" inputs associated to any given video sources not in use. Does anyone know how to do the same on this Samsung model? Specifically, I am trying to "delete" the TV input (i.e., air/cable) to avoid seeing the "snow" screen everytime I cycle through the sources.

I looked in the manual but I don't believe the matter is addressed.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Martin-

It seems these units have the ability to "sense" the presence of an input. I know mine skips all the hdmi inputs unless the source is on. So, if I want to watch a dvd, I need to make sure the dvd player is sending a signal or I can't switch to that hdmi input. Same way with my component inputs.

I like this feature, but it would be nice if we could turn off the inputs we know we won't ever use. I couldn't turn off the "cable / ant" feed on my Sony either and that is the ONE that I would love to turn off.

Bryan

"There's a dark cloud rising on the desert floor" - B. Springsteen
post #723 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpjunkie View Post

So I downloaded the Catalyst drivers and installed. Tried over and over again and could not get them to work for the life of me. I really like all the features that it has but I could not get it to display on my 4066f. The best i could get was 1080i but the pic was all interlaced. So I uninstalled them and just used the simple driver that came with my ati 9550 card and it work fine. I am pretty pc savy but could not get the catalyst program to work. Man I wish I could figure this out so that I could use the Anti aliasing and all the 3d programs and other things included. I tried your tutorial but it didn't help. So I had to default back to the simple ATI drivers... Any other tips or ideas>?

do you have the .net framework 2.0 installed??? i believe it's required for the catalyst drivers.
post #724 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAESQ View Post

Together with my new set I bought a new Harmony 880 to replace my aging, battery-whoring 659 model.

Now my question: The Sony allows one to "delete" inputs associated to any given video sources not in use. Does anyone know how to do the same on this Samsung model? Specifically, I am trying to "delete" the TV input (i.e., air/cable) to avoid seeing the "snow" screen everytime I cycle through the sources.

Martin, I don't have an answer for you but I have a potential alternative. According to posts earlier in this thread, at least some (maybe all?) of these new Sammy models are confirmed to have discreet IR codes for the inputs. It should be a matter of a little time until the Harmony site is updated with those codes and then you can set up your 880 to switch to the appropriate input whenever you select an activity. You could even set up soft buttons on the remote to go to each of your favorite inputs if you need that.
btw I have an 880 myself and highly recommend it to anyone.
post #725 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Can anyone try getting into the service menu?
I'm still hoping that Just Scan can be enabled somehow for component

here are some of the ways that might be able to get into the service menu for the Samsung (don't know which)

http://www.bruzziforum.com/vbf/showthread.php?t=45
Quote:

* Turn on the display and select the input that you want to adjust.
* Turn the display off.

* In quick sequence on the remote press:
{MUTE} {1} {8} {2} {POWER} buttons.

* The Display will turn on with the service menu displayed.
ADJUSTMENT - TEST PATTERN - SET OPTION BYTE - FACTORY RESET

* Select the function and use the {VOL+} button to enter the next screen.
* Save settings and exit by pushing {MUTE} twice then {POWER}.

< Info posted by ElvisIncognito @ AVS Forum >

* With the TV in standby, press the
{INFO} {MENU} {MUTE} {POWER} buttons on the remote.

* The TV will turn on with the Service Menu displayed.
* Press the {POWER} buttons to exit the Service Menu.

* Press {P.STD} {MENU} {SLEEP} {POWER} on the remote.
* Use the {CH+} {CH -} buttons to select items.
* Use the {VOL+} {VOL -} buttons to adjust.

* Turn the TV off.
* Press {SLEEP} {P.STD} {MUTE} {POWER} on the remote.

post #726 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Does anyone know how to get to the "Detailed Settings" under picture settings on the 4661f? Its grayed out and i was wondering why i cant access it.

LG 55LHX
PS3 60gig | HTPC (building now) | WDTV | AT&T UVerse
ATT UVerse
Denon 1712 receiver | JBL 190's, 130's, and 120c
post #727 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoman504 View Post

Does anyone know how to get to the "Detailed Settings" under picture settings on the 4661f? Its grayed out and i was wondering why i cant access it.

You have to be in Movie mode. Doesn't work in Dynamic or Standard mode. Which I think is very odd

Bryan

post #728 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Did you remove the old driver first? Also did you remove any and all older ATI s/w including the registry entries and windows files following the ATI procedure? On my version, unless you did exactly that you could not not successfully load any new media center updates. It was a real pain in the butt.
post #729 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Thanks Brian, how are you liking your 4661 so far? I got mine yesterday and i love it. Only weird thing is that i'm finding i have to force my ps3 to output to 1080p, otherwise it wants to just do 720p, i'm having a feeling ps3 has issues with hdmi it needs to resolve.

LG 55LHX
PS3 60gig | HTPC (building now) | WDTV | AT&T UVerse
ATT UVerse
Denon 1712 receiver | JBL 190's, 130's, and 120c
post #730 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoman504 View Post

Thanks Brian, how are you liking your 4661 so far? I got mine yesterday and i love it. Only weird thing is that i'm finding i have to force my ps3 to output to 1080p, otherwise it wants to just do 720p, i'm having a feeling ps3 has issues with hdmi it needs to resolve.

Love the 4661. It replaced a cloudy Sony and I couldn't be happier. I don't have a PS3 to test with. I have an HD Tivo and HD DVD player hooked up via HDMI with no problems. From other posts, I would say there is issues with PS3s. I don't have any other HDMI 1.3 devices to try with my display. Wonder if there is an issue with 1.3 devices talking together.

Bryan

post #731 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 09:22 AM

I'm almost sold on the 4066f but, with this question.... would it benefit anyone to wait for the 71s with 120Hz? I would like to know from someone with alot more knowledge than myself, not just speculation or regurgitated information, that 120 hz is going to be that much of an improvement. Other threads are putting it down as "overhyped" and not even an issue with the panels used today.
post #732 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew138 View Post

Back on topic, I would love to see some pics of standard DVD on these new Sammy's, as well as more HD pics.

I'd like to second Drew's request for standard DVD pics he had asked for a few pages back. It looks like most people have either a PS3 or Xbox and are enjoying BD and upconverted DVDs. However, it would be nice to know how the new sets handle upscaling regular 480i/p DVD signals. I think we've only had one comment on this from an owner - I for one would appreciate any more testing/input.

Hey owners, we know you're enjoying your TVs but could you please throw us a bone before we get our own sets...thanks
post #733 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 09:43 AM

Well it looks like I'm leaning towards the Samsung LN-T4665F now. I was looking at the Sharp LC-46D92U but with the environmentally friendly Sharp insisting on using recycled beer bottles in their glass (joking ), I figure Sharp is sticking with their banding feature. So...

Here is my current list of concerns:

I plan to connect a PC for occasional gaming. Can anyone comment on Input Lag?

I plan to order online.

How are the Samsung's packed for shipping? Do the packages include shock sensors?

How does Samsung handle service? Do they send a tech out or do I have to lug the unit to a service center?

How does Samsung handle replacement? Who pays shipping TO and FROM? Do they swap for new units or factory refurbs?

I have yet to see a LN-T4665F next to a LC-46D92U for comparisons sake. For anyone here who has been able to directly compare the two, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thanks for your input!
post #734 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmizzionz View Post

Sadly PIP options are very limited. One would say they "suck". PIP can only show Air/Cable connected the coax/ant way. Its one of the only things I hate about the set... it has split screen PIP but no way to use a different input on it, what a waste imo.

I agree the PIP has very few options and lags that of other sets. You would think that Samsung would allow PIP from all sources considering that many users have set-top boxes and use the HDMI connection.
post #735 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komari View Post

However, it would be nice to know how the new sets handle upscaling regular 480i/p DVD signals.

This (Lost, Season 1 DVD) is 480p via HDMI on a Samsung R-135 DVD player/recorder. 1080i via HDMI doesn't look too much different, better if slightly.

post #736 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:

it says in the manual 1080i over components

Really? I would love to see where it says that because it doesnt. The only time it references component with any resolution is "You can select only the 16:9, 4:3 and Wide Fit screen sizes in the DTV Component (720p, 1080i) or HDMI (720p, 1080i) mode." All its talking about it the screen size, unless your suggesting it doesnt do 1080p over HDMI as well.

On another note Im am very pleased with the SD. I was learning how dryers are made!

post #737 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayno View Post

Hi All,

Just saw an awesome price from Direct buy (private retailer) on the 4661F.
As far as I can gather from specs on Samsung the main differences between 4661 and 4665 are:
4665 has 15000:1 contrast, 4661 10000:1

4665 has "super clear panel" which must create the glossier, more reflective screen we've heard about. I assume it also creates a deeper image though. 4661 has regular screen.

the speakers are in different places

one has 10 bit processing, the other doesn't say

has anyone seen these 2 side by side? I prefer the idea of non-glossy but not at the expense of the most awesome picture out there....

Fact is, when I get any of these puppies home, I'm sure I'll be blown away but I do want to get my money's worth as far as hedging against missing out on the next best thing.

any and all comments welcome.

thanks.

c in Toronto.

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm leaning toward the 4661 because of the possible glare issue, but I keep hearing how incredible the picture on the 4665 is.

The main reason I'm leary of the 4665 is that I have four windows on the opposite wall of where this set will be. The glare is pretty bad during the day on my current CRT.
post #738 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crayno
Just saw an awesome price from Direct buy (private retailer) on the 4661F.

CAUTION!!! With Direct BUY Infomercial Services

http://www.infomercialscams.com/scams/direct_buy_scams

They are a fee based membership that has complaints up the wazzu in the US and Canada. $3200 - $4000 to become a member to buy - we've gone this route before with members seeing unbelievable prices fro Direct Buy when in fact if you research those guys you pay a members fee upfront to buy at those prices! Caveat Emptor!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #739 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 10:34 AM

Random request to see a picture of the remote, back of the unit, and while it is being fed some of the better blu-ray/hd-dvd movies (in terms of PQ). Thanks
post #740 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by megashock5 View Post

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm leaning toward the 4661 because of the possible glare issue, but I keep hearing how incredible the picture on the 4665 is.

The main reason I'm leary of the 4665 is that I have four windows on the opposite wall of where this set will be. The glare is pretty bad during the day on my current CRT.

This is exactly why I couldn't go with a 4665. I have a large French door that opposite the TV and that is all you would see in my set up. It is bad enough with the glossy bezel. A glossy screen would have made daytime viewing almost impossible.

Bryan

post #741 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Lyle View Post

This is exactly why I couldn't go with a 4665. I have a large French door that opposite the TV and that is all you would see in my set up. It is bad enough with the glossy bezel. A glossy screen would have made daytime viewing almost impossible.

Its not that bad. I have a big windows in my TV/Computer room that the light come directly in during the morning hours. Both the TV and my Computer monitor(90GX2 NEC LCD) have the same glossy coat. Mirror like off, as soon as you power them on hardly any trace of glare.
post #742 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 10:48 AM

I stopped by Fry's last night, saw the 4665 directly across from the Sony KDL-46XBR2, and no question that the samsung does better blacks with more detail. They had the 5265 in the back, playing an hd dvd, and it looked amazing. i'm ready to go on the 5265, but still wondering if the 120hz sets will be that much better for the cost.
post #743 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrass View Post

I'm almost sold on the 4066f but, with this question.... would it benefit anyone to wait for the 71s with 120Hz? I would like to know from someone with alot more knowledge than myself, not just speculation or regurgitated information, that 120 hz is going to be that much of an improvement. Other threads are putting it down as "overhyped" and not even an issue with the panels used today.

Since the 71's do not exist all you can get is speculation. Put it this way, unless you have a 60Hz panel next to it viewing the comparisons like they do at the Trade Shows you won't know. Since 120Hz makes motion smoother but may never resolve it 100% you simply have no way of knowing for a fact since you won't see the artifacts when it is working to make it smoother or motion free and no way to judge without a comparable 60Hz adjacent. How could you possibly measure without the Trade Show Demo Model?

I would say that if it works the way it should Motion should be smoother and resolve most motion but the falacy is in expecting 100% to be motion free - take the trade-off since it being a backlit panel and cases where you have strobing and lights and such being a transmissive light it can only react so fast.

Go into it expecting smoother motion and less observable incidences but I would not expect that you'll never see any by virtue of 120Hz of it's own fix. It's a step forward of many others and perhaps the big next step next year will be 24fps. My Sharp has rare occurrences and understand the technology but it is so rare that I have no issue but would always welcome that additional tweak to make it smoother yet! BTW Zero motion on HD DVD and X360 with my 57" Sharp.

I don't recall any Technical Spec ever stating that 120Hz will resolve motion 100% guaranteed - every literature I've read stresses smoother motion. It would take a Lab Shootout or a Trade Show side by side to prove it IMO.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #744 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrowe View Post

Random request to see a picture of the remote, back of the unit, and while it is being fed some of the better blu-ray/hd-dvd movies (in terms of PQ). Thanks

From BB's 4661 page:

Remote

Back connection panel

If you look upthread (or maybe it was in the earlier thread called "New Samsungs up on their page), someone posted a pic of the back of the unit.
post #745 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketeck View Post

Really? I would love to see where it says that because it doesnt. The only time it references component with any resolution is "You can select only the 16:9, 4:3 and Wide Fit screen sizes in the DTV Component (720p, 1080i) or HDMI (720p, 1080i) mode." All its talking about it the screen size, unless your suggesting it doesnt do 1080p over HDMI as well.

On another note Im am very pleased with the SD. I was learning how dryers are made!

Wow; that is a great picture over SD. Thanks for the pic. Can you describe how you were feeding the signal to the TV? Cablebox? Direct Coax? If cablebox, what channel is Discovery. Trying to determine if the channel is a lower number (likely analog uncompressed) or a digital signal.

Thanks again. Certainly an impressive picture.
post #746 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have a large French door that opposite the TV

Its not that bad. I have a big windows in my TV/Computer room that the light come directly in during the morning hours. Both the TV and my Computer monitor(90GX2 NEC LCD) have the same glossy coat. Mirror like off, as soon as you power them on hardly any trace of glare.

I'm looking for a 52" and liked the Sharp D92 except for the banding. I haven't seen the Samsung 5265F yet, but it seems like a good option, however, I also have large French doors about 20' direclty opposite the TV. They bother me watching my current 35" CRT, but at least that glass is curved, reducing the glare size.

Is there anyone here who can compare the reflectivity of the 5265F to a plasma versus a conventional LCD (like the Sharp D92). Is it midway between the two or closer to one or the other. Thanks.
post #747 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoxer View Post

Is there anyone here who can compare the reflectivity of the 5265F to a plasma versus a conventional LCD (like the Sharp D92). Is it midway between the two or closer to one or the other. Thanks.

I think beefchopper did a test on something like what you're looking for here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10117058

IIRC his conclusion was that the glossy samsung' reflectivity fell about halfway between a normal LCD and a plasma with perhaps a slight bias towards the normal LCD.
post #748 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrass View Post

well the few peopel on the Sharp D92U board seem to know about it claimed there was a big reduction in lag.

Westa6969, I thought the trade show did prove that with 120hz you don't need to watch them side by side to see the difference.
Panning shots on the TV without the 120hz chip definitely had blurring to the naked eye, but the 120hz D92U was perfect with the shots, almost direct view CRT level perfect.

The problem with the D92U & the reason it got so much negative feedback (it seems) was because the 120hz chip only worked for 720p sources & not 1080p sources.
Hence why no one saw any improvements as the TV upconverts al TV signals to 1080p.
A Lot of people tested both their PS3/Xbox 360, which natively display 1080p as well.

I'd still give 120hz a chance, if it meant a noticeable reduced lag to the PQ everyone is describing here, then I'm sold.
post #749 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

See you saw it too buddy. If you look on page 28 on your manual it states that
"you can only select16:9 or 4:3 wide fit screen sizes in the component (720p, 1080i)
Then it says
"you can select only the 16:9, 4:3, wide fit , and just scan screen sizes in the DTV or hdmi 720p,1080i, 1080p)

That is not a missprint. The tv does not do 1080p over components. Dont believe me, plug in your xbox. You get a bunch of crap on the screen. Put it in 1080i and it looks fine. Thats why I got a VGA cable...
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsu...oductDetail.do

Follow the white rabbit to this link and you will find in the middle of the page components =480i,480p,720p,1080i you non believer... You happy now...

Which version tv has the square stand and no curve on the bottom. Im kinda liking that one for mounting on the wall....?

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #750 of 4566 Old 03-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

On my lunch break , in NYC at pc richards on 23st, I stopped by to see the Samsung LN-T4661F

they only had the 40" version on display.

I m coming from a sharp 52" lcd which got returned asap since I was one of the first early adopters last fall.

Then I migrated to a pioneer 5071 and I LOVE it much.

now spring is in the air...and I am doing the initial rounds of shopping for my second set. hehhe

I did not even know Samsung was coming with a new set.

first impression the set was in between an Xbr3 and Sharp 62 series.

lets just say this baby got curves in the right places. Thats one sexy looking piece of hardware. I fell in love w the pioneer piano black and this sammy is def up my alley.

The xbr3 never had a chance. it looked " muddy " next to this sammy jewel.

I checked the settings the sammy was default / dynamic. WOW...

the blacks are by far some of the best i have seen on any sets .

durring fast motion on ESPN it held up. no macroblocking.

Gorgeous accurate colors, blinding pure whites.

I did change to source to pitch black...holding my breath.....there....No cloud!! yes...!! yes !!! F#ck yea !!!

I glanced over at the sharp...please dont make me laugh.. I had enough of sharp !!

I then proceeded to test off angle viewing.. sorry im anal about that.

Again the sammy did not dissapoint. this set unlike the sharp next to it....held its ground. no nasty blue shift....just amazing colors at extreme angles..

Ladies and gents....along with the fact that 1 ) the price on this is just ridiculously low. 2 ) the colors / contrast / off angle 3 ) no clouds / bands 4 ) the fact that pc / xbox 360 plug in at 1920 no overscan......

you guys know whats going up on the walls of my gameroom. this is it. !!

I will compare next week with a camera and will play at various local dealers and will keep my eyes out for the 65 series as well. Im dying to see this 15k glossy contrast.

overall....great job samsung. about time someone stepped up and showed sony / sharp a thing or 2 about making a flawless set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Lnt4061f 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page