Official Samsung LN-T4061F/LN-T4065F/LN-T4661F/LN-T4665F/LN-T5265F Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Samsung LN-T4061F/LN-T4065F/LN-T4661F/LN-T4665F/LN-T5265F Owner's Thread
savage1005's Avatar savage1005 11:18 PM 03-21-2007
wow, that screen is BLACK! looks great. definitely no clouds at all with your set.

tazmizzionz's Avatar tazmizzionz 11:20 PM 03-21-2007
These next 3 are Deuce Bigelow European Gigelow in HD. I chose these because they have a lot of black in the scene and then later when the spotlight is focused on him it shows the contrast. You will be able to tell that the picture is in HD because those grey bars get added to the right image as its not component.

The next few are from the 40 year Old Virgin in SD via component on left, regular cable on right.

Dynamic Mode

Standard Mode

Movie Mode

Notice those anomolies? They only occur on SD...I hope its not the TV but it happens on both component and regular cable so it might be the cable box that just isnt sending a good SD signal.

Next set of pictures will be in another post and will feature an SD show compared to the previous SD movies.
savage1005's Avatar savage1005 11:32 PM 03-21-2007
do these sets do 1:1 pixel mapping over component?
tazmizzionz's Avatar tazmizzionz 11:40 PM 03-21-2007
All the following pictures were taken in the Dynamic Mode. Take note in the second picture how you can tell apart the blacks in the letterbox. Thats one thing I love about this set how well it can tell apart the blacks.

These next 3 are from the show Rome in SD

This image gave me hope that the bad SD is from my cablebox and not the set...if you can notice at the bottom of the left you see the distortion while you cant on the right since the image is scaled automatically.

These 2 I chose because I was focussing on black mostly so this one is of a pretty redhead and I saw the differences in quality as soon as I changed th channel.

Well thats it for pictures untill I get my HDMI cables on Friday/Saturday.

Requests so far when I get the HMDI:
-Justscan for the 1:1 pixel over DVI-HDMI
-Comparing Component to HDMI via split screen
tazmizzionz's Avatar tazmizzionz 11:42 PM 03-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1005 View Post

do these sets do 1:1 pixel mapping over component?

I dont know. How would I go about testing this? Give me some info and Ill try it out for you.
savage1005's Avatar savage1005 12:06 AM 03-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmizzionz View Post

I dont know. How would I go about testing this? Give me some info and Ill try it out for you.

basically , if you can turn on the just scan option with an hd feed for your component connection , then it should be 1:1. could you try that? thanks
tazmizzionz's Avatar tazmizzionz 12:38 AM 03-22-2007
Quote:

basically , if you can turn on the just scan option with an hd feed for your component connection , then it should be 1:1. could you try that? thanks

Negative. Tried, and the JustScan option was greyed-out. I tried to access it on all the connections I have (VHF, Composite, Component) couldnt access it.
savage1005's Avatar savage1005 12:41 AM 03-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmizzionz View Post

Negative. Tried, and the JustScan option was greyed-out. I tried to access it on all the connections I have (VHF, Composite, Component) couldnt access it.

did you do this with an hd-signal? this is dissapointing if you use just scan through component on hd feeds.
lipcrkr's Avatar lipcrkr 12:57 AM 03-22-2007
Quote:

did you do this with an hd-signal? this is dissapointing if you use just scan through component on hd feeds.

Sure is, however, i'm willing to bet it was during 480i. No way just scan wouldn't be available using component during HD sources.
sidamos's Avatar sidamos 01:06 AM 03-22-2007
HI!

Can anyone tell me please, how much glare the 65F has compared to a CRT?

At the moment, I have an 8 year old 16:9 CRT and I could live with the same amount of glare.

Thanks!

Thomas
sharpjunkie's Avatar sharpjunkie 01:08 AM 03-22-2007
Well I would have to say that I am a proud new owner of the LN-T4066f. Just picked mine up from BestBuy.... Couldn't wait to get it out of the box. To answer some questions that have not been answered. I am playing xbox360 rainbow six in 1080p on component 2 so it does do 1080p through the components. I have my pc set up using the RGB/VGA at 1920x1080 at 60hz with no problem reading the text. Still have yet to try Wii in 480p through components. I have my pc also hooked up from the dvi to HDMI. Havn't been able to get that to look right just yet still messing with the controls...Any questions?

Screen does have a little bit of glare just like my macbook but nothing really noticable unless its a really dark pictue on the screen and you have a bunch of lights on I guess. Guess it could be a little distracting to some depending on where the set is located in the house...
savage1005's Avatar savage1005 01:14 AM 03-22-2007
congrats on your new televisiion, 1 question for you.

does it let you use the just scan 1:1 option when you use 1080p with the xbox 360? that is all i need to know.
DSET's Avatar DSET 01:17 AM 03-22-2007
so u haven't been able to get the dvi-hdmi pc mode to work properly?
is it cuz of the drivers or what?

did u put it to 1920 x 1080 was there any overscan?
tazmizzionz's Avatar tazmizzionz 01:25 AM 03-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

Sure is, however, i'm willing to bet it was during 480i. No way just scan wouldn't be available using component during HD sources.

I tried all the HD channels with component and Just Scan was not available (greyed-out in the OSD) As to other HD sources I don't know as of right now all I have is the HD-Cable Box.

EDIT: Just checked the manual and Just Scan is only available through HDMI...
sharpjunkie's Avatar sharpjunkie 01:33 AM 03-22-2007
Quote:

congrats on your new televisiion, 1 question for you.

does it let you use the just scan 1:1 option when you use 1080p with the xbox 360? that is all i need to know.

so u haven't been able to get the dvi-hdmi pc mode to work properly?
is it cuz of the drivers or what?

did u put it to 1920 x 1080 was there any overscan?

Ok. Finally figured out why dvi to hdmi didnt look right. Once I selected JUST SCAN, the pc at 1080p output through dvi to hdmi input 1 finally looks like 1:1 to me just like the vga input does so I got that fixed. Dont know if I like the VGA or the DVItoHDMI better. The vga is softer a little more fuzzy and the DVItoHDMI is super bright and sharper....

For the just scan feature for the xbox.... no. I believe that just scan only works on the HDMI inputs. I don't need it to do just scan on the components for xbox360. Doesn't look like there is overscan to me. I have been playing rainbow six online for the past couple of months and just played a game in 1080p and it looks just the same as before. A little more colorfull but I don't think I see overscan. And I had a sharp 1:1 before this set. Can I ask you what would be the importance of JUST SCAN while playing the 360 on components?
DSET's Avatar DSET 01:41 AM 03-22-2007
really good to hear that 1:1 in dvi-hdmi pc mode is fixed with the new samsungs

theres no need for an hdmi video card after all

-If theres no Overscan in 360 component then I'm guessing theres no need for 1:1- not sure tho
savage1005's Avatar savage1005 01:42 AM 03-22-2007
"Can I ask you what would be the importance of JUST SCAN while playing the 360 on components?"

1:1. i dislike overscan for video games. but if you say you can't see a difference from your 1:1 sharp, thats good.
sharpjunkie's Avatar sharpjunkie 02:04 AM 03-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSET View Post

really good to hear that 1:1 in dvi-hdmi pc mode is fixed with the new samsungs

theres no need for an hdmi video card after all

-If theres no Overscan in 360 component then I'm guessing theres no need for 1:1- not sure tho

Nope, not at all. The manual tells you how to set up the DVI-HDMI. So you have a few options. You can use your HTPC from VGA to VGA or DVI-HDMI. If you use the DVI-HDMI, then you should use HDMI input 1 as it has left and right inputs for sound. So if you don't have a surround sound system, you connect your pc audio out to the left and right input channels on the tv to get stereo sound from the pc. If you are using vga, then you have one audio input to plug in from the pc for mono sound. As well as if you have a cable box set with only dvi out then you can do the same as I mentioned for your pc.
I dont have hdcable or standard cable but I download tv shows that are in HD and they look great on my HTPC. I have downloaded a bunch of divx and avi files and ts files and they look amazing using VLC player. I also have downloaded a bunch of the 720p and 1080p files from windows media player website and played them with windows media player from my HTPC and OMG they look great.

I am really happy with this purchase. NO dead pixels using deadpixelbuddy program. No clouding. No bands. Cant really say I see a HUGE differnce between 1920x1080 and 1368x728, but then again I don't have blue ray or hddvd yet. Really worth the price. This tv has more options then a chinese whore house and is a HUGE upgrade from my 2007 sharp. Glad i made this purchase....... Yay samsung. Finally happy in a tv that I own with no regrets....

Oops. Forgot to mention that there is a side usb input called wiselink. It is used for a thumb drive. Connect a thumb drive and use your samsung as a 40inch picture frame or to display slide shows with music. You can also use this input for future firmware upgrades. Just use a thumb drive with the newest firmware on it. Connect it to the samsung, and update your firmware. I also believe that if you get the samsung motorized wall mount, the wiselink is used to make the mount move up down left and right via the samsung remote.
So lets see what else. HDMI 1.3, wiselink, 1080p through components. 1:1 just scan through HDMI. DVI-HDMI with 1:1 with 1080p. HDMI cec and HDCP. No clouding, bands, flashlights, dead pixels. I think samsung has a winner here....
plastikpyro's Avatar plastikpyro 02:53 AM 03-22-2007
moved the review to page 5. thanks
sharpjunkie's Avatar sharpjunkie 03:29 AM 03-22-2007
Hey plastik? Is that windowsxp? If so, what are u using for your graphics user interface to make it look like a macOSx with all the controls on the top. I wouldnt mind having something like that as I hate windows and love my mac. Please do share. Not to get off subject thanks for the pics. I would post some but do not have a camera at the moment. You can PM me with the info if needed....
marshall110's Avatar marshall110 03:40 AM 03-22-2007
Hey guys, I picked up the 4066F just this evening from BestBuy and love the set but I hate to say my unit has clouding. It isn't especially bad but noticeable on a black screen. To be honest I read about clouding on the Sonys and never really knew what it looked like until I tried to describe what I was seeing on my screen on a station without a signal. The clouding is present when I play a DVD as well. After seeing and reading about the uniform black others have gotten with their units, I'm definitily going to exchange my unit unless there's a way to remedy it.

Kevin
DSET's Avatar DSET 03:43 AM 03-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall110 View Post

I'm definitily going to exchange my unit unless there's a way to remedy it.
Kevin

do u have a picture?
sidamos's Avatar sidamos 03:47 AM 03-22-2007
HI!

Regarding 1080p via DVI->HDMI with JustScan and 1:1 mapping.

There was a problem with the previous 1080p LCD-TVs from Samsung (4695 in the US I believe):

Very fine lines or text had a little "bleeding" (up to 1 pixel, meaning each pixel was doubled horizontally), making DVI->HDMI a little less sharp than VGA, even with JustScan on.

Can anyone please test this with the 61F or 65F?

Thanks!

Thomas
marshall110's Avatar marshall110 03:57 AM 03-22-2007
Sorry, no pic but the clouding is there. Most noticeable is the top left corner region but also throughout other parts of the screen.
marshall110's Avatar marshall110 04:00 AM 03-22-2007
It's not as bad as some of the shots I've been looking at online on the Sonys but you can make it out in opening credits of Lord of the Rings. It is very faint but it is there. I don't know if I'm overeacting as I've only had it for 5 hours, but at this price point it should be perfect.
westa6969's Avatar westa6969 04:32 AM 03-22-2007
Nice work with the pic's and comparisons. The most striking thing to my eyes are the black levels that seem to have brought this generation to equal or exceed most plasma now.

Please tell us if the blacks are equal to the Sharp D92 and if it's provided without crush and bringing out shadow details especially with BD or HD DVD. No banding with those blacks are a strong positive. Thanks

BTW: To demonstrate Samsung boldness with their new 15,000:1 plasma on their website they do a side-by-side comparison of blacks against a Panny 60U in the pic below and so it looks like they are establishing better blacks in both areas - the irony is Panny has always been the reference point for it's boasting rights with blacks and now Samsung demo's it's advances vs. the Panny on the website with the new "T" series PDP looks like this and the 81 series will be winners.
LL
sharpjunkie's Avatar sharpjunkie 05:16 AM 03-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidamos View Post

HI!

Regarding 1080p via DVI->HDMI with JustScan and 1:1 mapping.

There was a problem with the previous 1080p LCD-TVs from Samsung (4695 in the US I believe):

Very fine lines or text had a little "bleeding" (up to 1 pixel, meaning each pixel was doubled horizontally), making DVI->HDMI a little less sharp than VGA, even with JustScan on.

Can anyone please test this with the 61F or 65F?

Thanks!

Thomas

Man all you had to do was read a couple of posts up where I wrote that it works fine. I have both the vga from my video card to my samsung lnt4066f and a dvi-hdmi. The dvi-hdmi is a little sharper. Not by much but a little sharper. Works fine with just scan which is the same as 1:1. Theres none of this doubled horizontally that you are talking about. I had to remove the dvi and only use the vga because if I used both, for some reason my wireless linksys would not work properly. Going to have to find an answer for that one though.
Mattprice82's Avatar Mattprice82 05:22 AM 03-22-2007
Does anyone have a surround sound connected to the TV via the digital out? Are you able to use the digital out regardless of the input that is being used?

I'd like to use the TV as a pass through for my surround system, but I'm not sure if it will let me do so. Thanks!
sidamos's Avatar sidamos 05:34 AM 03-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpjunkie View Post

Man all you had to do was read a couple of posts up where I wrote that it works fine. I have both the vga from my video card to my samsung lnt4066f and a dvi-hdmi. The dvi-hdmi is a little sharper. Not by much but a little sharper. Works fine with just scan which is the same as 1:1. Theres none of this doubled horizontally that you are talking about. I had to remove the dvi and only use the vga because if I used both, for some reason my wireless linksys would not work properly. Going to have to find an answer for that one though.

I read your comment above, but asked nonetheless, because in an english forum, it took days or even weeks until someone noticed that there is some bleeding when using DVI->HDMI with JustScan in the older Samsung FullHD. Or maybe this is only when feeding 50 Hz...

I cannot provide the URL to one of the postings in the other forum, because I am not yet allowed to post URLs, not even by PM.
isucamper's Avatar isucamper 06:58 AM 03-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpjunkie View Post

Can I ask you what would be the importance of JUST SCAN while playing the 360 on components?

The most noticable example of overscan happening on the Xbox 360 is the original Ghost Recon: Advanced Warrior. The HUD had a boarder around it that would be hiddeously cut off if your TV was overscanning.

For instance, here is the game overscanning on my Sony 36 inch tube. Notice the blue line boarder being cut off.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...r/STA_0054.jpg

I don't suppose you could download the demo and check it out for us?
Tags: Samsung Lnt4061f 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop