OFFICIAL Emprex-3202 32" LCD HDTV Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 231 Old 03-27-2007, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There should be a ton of folks with this display in the course of the next week or so given the liquidation that Fry's had (please no price talk). So, we need a place to talk about this display.

As for my experiences so far...

I wish I could report a positive experience as I think this display has tons of potential... but I received mine yesterday and it looks like I might be testing the Emprex RMA procedures as the display is showing artifacts via all input sources (hdmi, vga, svideo, direct cable connection) and can been seen here:

[edited the links out as I can't yet post links -- I'll add the pics once I'm above 5 posts]

Anywho, post your experiences and let the discussion begin.

Also, anyone with any suggestions on these issues I'm having (or have experiences with Emprex's repair service), please post away!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 231 Old 03-28-2007, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I'll talk to myself until more folks migrate to this thread...

Sent an email last night to Emprex's tech support and attached pics of this issue. They responded to return the TV to Fry's as it is a defect. Called Fry's, they set up a cross-shipment replacement and a DHL driver just picked up my bad TV.

The replacement should be here by Friday.

Thumbs up for Fry's.
post #3 of 231 Old 03-29-2007, 07:39 AM

For less than the cost of 2 replacement lamps for my sammy dlp I took a chance.
used as a bedroom/spare /computer monitor/digital tuner for panny dvr
so far not disappointed.good picture with ota hd, upscaled dvd. not good with 480i input,
one stuck pixel. and no it's not an xbr but it's 1/4 the price.
would I recommend it so far yes
post #4 of 231 Old 03-29-2007, 08:09 AM

Finally got around to playing with mine yesterday. Overall i am pleased with it. Tested the qam tuner out. It seemed to pick up 6 hd channels out of 11 that come through if you get Brighthouse digital box. The pic quality on HD looked very good. SD was good for what it is, though not as good as my Sony Wega crt. I have to say the manual was horrible, didn't even list what the cable options are in the menu. The remote is what you would expect, pretty cheap and weak signal. I think the exterior looked good and so far i haven't noticed any artifact or stuck pixels, though i would have to spend more time with it. This is going up on my kitchen wall and is pretty much just going to be used for the occasional tv show so I am happy for the price. Now i just have to mount the thing....
post #5 of 231 Old 04-01-2007, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

My replacement TV (please see 1st post) was delivered on Friday. It is in perfect condition and I've been playing with it all weekend.

Sidenote: Huge thumbs up to Fry's... they handled this return/exchange perfectly.
post #6 of 231 Old 04-02-2007, 05:52 PM

just got same one interested in what you find best : standard ,Vivid picture, etc

Cool Warm ?

any input on your setup appreciated
post #7 of 231 Old 04-02-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt21 View Post

just got same one interested in what you find best : standard ,Vivid picture, etc

Cool Warm ?

any input on your setup appreciated

I agree with dlt21, can you share any input or setting that you are using with TV. I'm still playing around with it.
post #8 of 231 Old 04-04-2007, 09:16 AM

I am using D* hughes htl-hd STB and for some reason the guide appears in shrunken image
it does not fill whole screen .Anyone else having this problem with your STB? Also when I push info button it too is much smaller than it should be
post #9 of 231 Old 04-04-2007, 10:15 PM

Had this for a couple days, quality is pretty good. I'm definitely satisfied with the TV, given the price. I suggest turning down the color saturation for a better picture.

My problem is that over-the-air HD doesn't fill up the whole screen. Instead I get 3" black bars on both sides. Anyone have a solution to this problem? There doesn't seem to be any zoom feature, and the Aspect button doesn't push it all the way out.

I only get one true HD (i.e. 720p) channel so this may be a problem with the feed. I don't know.

(If you have this problem too: I was able to solve this problem on DVD playback by changing the aspect ratio of the DVD feed to 16:9, but I can't do that with the radio signal)
post #10 of 231 Old 04-11-2007, 11:35 AM

Had played with this TV for ~2 weeks, am mostly happy with it. For a 32 lcd tv with this price, I should not ask for too much more.

Tried to hook it to my PC as a monitor through HDMI or VGA ports. My idea is to get this tv display 1360*768 1:1 mapping for best display quality, the results are not so impressing. for HDMI, a DVI-HDMI cable is used, 1280*720*60Hz (720p) is wonderful, but if you push the resolution higher, let's say 1360*768, seems like the signal need to go through scaler first, so you get 1080i at 30Hz which is pain in the a$$ for watching. VGA is the same, although you can set the PC input resolution to 1360*768, and I tweaked my video card to output 1360*768*60Hz to match, the image on the TV is not stable at all, only 720p can give you a pleasant view.

So all in all, as a PC monitor, this TV can only display 720p. If anyone can make this TV display 1360*768*60Hz, please post your setup.

For TV side, way better than my 5 year old CRT TV(although it is not bad in its own class). But HD is another league from SD. Plugged in basic cable and get all the local HD channels, HD image quality is wonderful and now found that I am kind of addicted into PBS HD documentary. I can even get TNTHD(which I should not receive), the catch is there is no sound in TNTHD, but for Thursday night NBA, audio part is not the most important, worst comes to worst, I can turn on my old tv to get the sound :-)
post #11 of 231 Old 04-18-2007, 08:32 PM

Had the tv for a month now, pretty happy with it. HD TV looks awesome, as well as the 360 on component. I purchased a VGA cable to see if it would actually make my 360 look better, but its much worse, colors seem way washed out and no were near as crisp as component, its a common problem for a lot of lcd owners just do a search on google. In summary dont waste $40 for a vga cable for your 360 if your using this tv.

Also can anyone post there color setup? Would be really appreciated, always trying to tweak the picture.
post #12 of 231 Old 04-19-2007, 12:59 PM

I am using the default color setup. Just lower the back light to 90%
post #13 of 231 Old 04-19-2007, 01:43 PM

These settings were posted on the slickdeals forum, work very well highly recommend them. Really made the colors a ton better for me, flesh tones now look how they should.

Brightness 48
Saturation 60-64
Contrast 74
Sharp 62
tint 1
r 55 g 50 b 50
Temp - Warm on Ota HD, Directv and cool/normal on Xbox 360)
Backlight 9
post #14 of 231 Old 05-16-2007, 09:17 AM

Hey guys finally got around to wall mounting this in my kitchen. I am impressed with it, though there is one issue I am seeing. Anyone else notice a delay when turning the tv on? On my set it takes like 8 seconds to actually turn on and get a picture.

Other than that i am happy with the set. Though i noticed you guys seem to really turn up the contrast and brightness a bit high which seems to introduce artifacts and washes out shadow detail. Generally speaking calibrating with DVE or Avia will produce contrast between 20-32 and brightness round 30-50, of course this depends on rooms conditions and lighting.
post #15 of 231 Old 05-24-2007, 08:02 PM

i've had this set for about 3 months now. very happy with it. high perfomance/price ratio. my remote however has been unresponsive the past couple of days. anyone having such a problem?
post #16 of 231 Old 06-05-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanayaw View Post

i've had this set for about 3 months now. very happy with it. high perfomance/price ratio. my remote however has been unresponsive the past couple of days. anyone having such a problem?

Sorry to hear that. Did you try to contact Emprex about it? Curious to know how useful the warranty will be...
post #17 of 231 Old 06-15-2007, 08:05 PM

still waiting for the reply to my email from emprex, it's been like a month, their product is good but customer service stinks, i'm thinkking of getting a harmony remote to solve my problem
post #18 of 231 Old 07-04-2007, 03:47 PM

has anyone been able to set this up from a PC with 1080i? I've got it goin from my Xbox360 on 1080i, but my PC is having massive difficulties on it. 720p looks great tho, but just curious what else is available

post #19 of 231 Old 07-04-2007, 05:09 PM

I just got this TV today, and the channels work fine. However, I cannot work my Playstation 2! I plug the red, yellow, and white cables into the TV in the AV ports, but there is no response on any source. We haven't bought any extra cables yet, just have the power and cable from the sattelite. Can anyone tell me what to do?

Thanks.
post #20 of 231 Old 07-05-2007, 05:18 PM

i just bought this TV and while i will be hooking it up to the PS2 via component, i will try the composite cable to see if i can get it to work and i'll let you know..
post #21 of 231 Old 07-05-2007, 05:19 PM

i hooked it up to my 360 via component & works beautifully, in 720p

post #22 of 231 Old 07-05-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadymg View Post

i hooked it up to my 360 via component & works beautifully, in 720p

that's why i bought this thing. i wasn't going to waste my money on a next gen gaming system by playing it on a SDTV. now that i have the TV, i'll have to decide between the two systems...
post #23 of 231 Old 07-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Friends and family have ordered 3 of these. I will let everyone know what I think when they come in. I'll have to see how they compare to my Westy 32w6.
post #24 of 231 Old 07-07-2007, 08:36 PM

does anybody know the warranty info on this? I am loathe to trust a voice on the phone where they sell these. (BTW, those of you needing a cheap remote option try the Sony vl600)

When did football games become talk shows?
post #25 of 231 Old 07-08-2007, 10:32 PM

i believe it's a 1 year warranty, but don't quote me on that

post #26 of 231 Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabblerouser View Post

does anybody know the warranty info on this? I am loathe to trust a voice on the phone where they sell these. (BTW, those of you needing a cheap remote option try the Sony vl600)

I bought from Fry's and got the 5-year warranty through them for cheap. Figured it was worth the money given I never heard of Emprex.
post #27 of 231 Old 07-09-2007, 08:19 AM

I love the TV so far and picture is beautiful but it's looking like mine needs to be exchanged. Here is what I'm seeing with "blanking" of the screen on the analog inputs every so often.

I've tried the following:

- 480p from Sony DVD player on component inputs (blanking every few minutes usually)

- 480p from Toshiba DVD (same as above)

- Xbox 360 on VGA input (blanking every 45 minutes or so on avg.)

- Dish SD PVR driving the SD input (no problems, very good picture for SD)

I'll be trying the HDMI input this week but still, I need at least one analog input to not "blank". Any ideas? Anyone else see this behaviour or do I just have a bad one?
post #28 of 231 Old 07-09-2007, 08:54 AM

my screen blanked last nite, but only once after 4 hours of usage. it seemed to happen more often earlier after purchase. time will tell on that one.

avsrussp, i thought about that warranty as well. do you know any details about it? In home? Cover dead pixels, backlight?

post #29 of 231 Old 07-09-2007, 09:56 AM

I have seen that blanking on other tvs where the soldering was not done properly. As it heats up and gets dusty over time it will probably do it more. If it is just the one input then they may be able to send you a user replaceable part- depending on the setup- I had a similar issue with an Olevia. All of this is really just speculation though, I have no credentials to back up what I am saying.

When did football games become talk shows?
post #30 of 231 Old 07-09-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadymg View Post

my screen blanked last nite, but only once after 4 hours of usage. it seemed to happen more often earlier after purchase. time will tell on that one.

avsrussp, i thought about that warranty as well. do you know any details about it? In home? Cover dead pixels, backlight?

We are probably discussing this on 2 forums now, this and missingremote, but in any case, the warranty seemed pretty good. They claim if they have to take the TV from your house they will give you a loaner (saw this on the computer screen rather than just hearing it from the sales guy). I have no experience with Fry's warranties otherwise so I can't say. I'm here in the Atlanta area where Fry's is relatively new (store opened less than 2 years ago) so this is my first big purchase from them.

Also, they claimed that they replace the TV for about any amount of dead pixels where they claim that Best Buy requires a "dime" sized area of dead pixels before replacement. Don't know how true that is but that's what they said. For the price I figured it was worth it. They also offer the 2 year warranty for 1/2 the price of the 5 year.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page