Official Samsung LN-Txx42H and LN-Txx53H Topic - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Samsung LCD have the "tearing" problem?
Yes 219 39.39%
No 337 60.61%
Voters: 556. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3882 Old 04-01-2007, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Welcome to the Official Samsung LN-Txx42H and LN-Txx53H topic. This is my first Official topic so bear with me. These are the 2007 models that are an upgrade of the 41 and 51 series. The only difference that I could find between the two was that the LN-Txx42H had 1,000 less contrast and side mounted speakers (but it was also $200 cheaper) the 4053 has "Wide Color Enhancer" whatever that is, plus a USB slot, and HDMI-CEC. And more curved edges, judging by the photos online. Also the 4053 weighs one pound less, and has two antenna input jacks, as opposed to one on the 4042. Also don't forget that the 42 series has a 170 degree viewing angle vs. 178 for the 53. Has anyone seen these in person or compared them to the 53's? And apparently neither of them have HDMI 1.3 as well. And as of right now the 23 inch models seem to have off angle fade out issues. (the viewing angles are very bad) this should be fixed at a later date.

Here is a quick review of the LN-T4053H written by RLampke
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLampke View Post

Ok - this is just a quick review as I hate to type

For starters, I think it's worth telling a quick background of what kind of pic I like, my HT setups and what I'm comparing this to; and how old this panel is.

Overview:

- Both of my displays, the Qualia 006 in my HT room and my Sony 52XBR3 in the Great Room [what I'm comparing the Samsung to] are ISF calibrated - I plan to get the Samsung ISF calibrated as well, but as if yet it is not. Both displays are calibrated for deep blacks and true neutral color reproduction, which is typical of true ISF calibration. No, my Sony does not have any clouding whatsoever - and thank god

- I received the panel from ABT Electronics on 3/25/07 - factory fresh

- This Panel is for the Master Bedroom, and will be wall mounted in a few weeks.

- The connection is HDMI.

- Yes it has a QAM Tuner.

Photos:
These are just some quick pics so take the pics w/a grain of salt; they do not come close to capturing the panel's ability to produce a stellar pic.

Off:

On:

Build Quality:

Outside Construction is flawless, fantastic; this panel is beautifully crafted and is stunning to look at - the attention to detail is every bit of my XBR3. Panel Construction is equally impressive; no horizontal/vertical banding, backlight leakage or clouds whatsoever - 100% linear even in a totally blackout room.

The glowing halo on the bottom of the screen is a wonderful touch

HD Performance:

Spectacular - way better than the LN-S4051D and about 90% of the Sony. After ISF calibration I'm sure I can get to 95% of the Sony - this Panel is that good. Neutral colors and great blacks and a smooth and very detailed pic; but you have to adjust the panel to achieve this performance. Out of the box as w/all Panels, these settings can be overpowering IMO. I will say there is some over scan in HD and there is no 1:1 mapping - so that was a little disappointing, especially for you gamers out there. However, I estimate the amount of over scan in HD is about 1% - but don't hold me to this. Also, even though this panel is 720p, you'll never miss this panel over a 1080p because of it's size - unless you sit extremely close in which case you'll see artifacts either way.

SD Performance:

Above average from other offerings and about the same as the XBR3; loosing out to the Sony only because there is no "Wide Zoom" for 4:3 material which I really like. The Samsung seems to over scan too much if you use the zoom modes, and 16:9 mode seems to compress and stretch the Pic more than the Sony. But this is SD so it's garbage-in-garbage-out anyhow.

Conclusion:

For thoes that are on the fence about this TV, get off of it and go and get yourself this panel. There is no better performing or looking panel in this price range IMO.

I'll end it here, so if there are any specific questions let me know and I'll answer them if I can.

Links to Samsung's website.

42 series http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/L...T4042HXXAA.asp

53 series http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/L...T4053HXXAA.asp

And my original topic.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1&page=1&pp=30

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3882 Old 04-01-2007, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is this model out in Europe pls?
post #3 of 3882 Old 04-01-2007, 12:53 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braska10 View Post

I'm not positive, but I think they're called "Bordeaux" in Europe. At least they look the same. I can't seem to make out the name on the front where it should say "Samsung."

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...tty-234629.php
post #4 of 3882 Old 04-01-2007, 01:02 PM

Noob question:

RLampke wrote "I will say there is some over scan in HD and there is no 1:1 mapping - so that was a little disappointing, especially for you gamers out there."

Does this mean that it won't do 1:1 pixel mapping over dvi->hdmi from a PC? On page 45 of the manual it says it can display several resolutions over dvi->hdmi including 1360*786 at 60Hz.
post #5 of 3882 Old 04-01-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braska10 View Post

ok I can't post urls to show you the site (I have to post 5 times before I can for spam protection reasons) but if you go on samsung's UK site and find the R87 model I think that's what your looking for. it's also sold on amazon co uk
post #6 of 3882 Old 04-01-2007, 01:56 PM

I will get my LN-T4042H on Monday and will let you know my impressions.

As PENDRAG0ON says in the opening post differences between these two lines are:

42H: Side speakers
53H: Bottom speakers

42H: No blue led on the front of the TV
53H: Blue led on the front of the TV

42H: 3 remote control keys not included in 53H: HDMI - Auto Prog. - Add/Del.
53H: 3 remote control keys not included in 42H: Rec - Wiselink - Anynet+

42H: 7.000 Contrast Ratio
53H: 8.000 Contrast Ratio

42H: 170 degree viewing angle
53H: 178 degree viewing angle

42H: Can't change the size of PIP (Picture In Picture)
53H: Can change the size of PIP (Picture In Picture)

42H: 0 USB 2.0 port
53H: 1 USB 2.0 port

42H: No Anynet+
53H: Anynet+ (*)

(*) Anynet+ is an AV network system that enables you to control all condected Samsung AV devices with the TV's remote (can be used only with Samsung AV devices that have the Anynet+ feture).

After checking the two lines (both 40') at BB, I noticed that both sets have 2 antenna input jacks. I've also talk to Samsung and both panels have Wide Color Enhancer.

If you know of any other differences or have more information please share it with us.
post #7 of 3882 Old 04-01-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well now, it looks like the 42 series is a better deal after all (the few minor differences in specs don't make that big of a deal to me, nor does the shape of the HDTV) I might have to get a 4042 instead. Let us know how it is.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #8 of 3882 Old 04-02-2007, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the reply JPowers and dchris2. I think its the the R88. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks again
post #9 of 3882 Old 04-02-2007, 07:56 AM

Yes, that's true and that's the reason I went with the 42H. This panel will be used in my master bedroom and the differentiations were minimal compared to the almost $300 difference in price. I like the look of the 53H much better, but again this has to do more with aesthetics than performance were both lines are almost identical.
post #10 of 3882 Old 04-02-2007, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo232 View Post

Yes, that's true and that's the reason I went with the 42H. This panel will be used in my master bedroom and the differentiations were minimal compared to the almost $300 difference in price. I like the look of the 53H much better, but again this has to do more with aesthetics than performance were both lines are almost identical.

Same conclusion that I came to after seeing the differences. I will get mine in about 1-2 months and maybe I'll get lucky and it will be on sale.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #11 of 3882 Old 04-02-2007, 09:41 AM

Guys I need your help on the Sammy models (42 and the 53).

I found them online at hideflifestyle for a much better price then best buy.
The only thing I am concerned about is my experience with shipped TV's and LCD in general.

I purchased a Philips 42PF7421D/37 from Costco.com and when I set it up it had really bad uneven back lighting so back to the store it went.

I then purchased a JVC from Bestbuy.com which I really like but again the backlighting was horrible and I had some stuck pixels. I would have tried my luck with another one but BB does not carry this model any more. BTW the JVC LT-40X667 had awesome speakers for a LCD.

I would like to order this from hidef but I have some concerns maybe you guys can help me with.

Has anybody used this co. and what has there over all experience been with them.

If you do have to return a TV do you have to pay for the shipping?

I see they will use other companies besides UPS which is great.

And has anybody had any uneven light issues with these two TV's (i.e. mura, flash lights, etc).

I am almost tempted to pay more so I can open it up at the store before I purchase it. I am getting tired of returning TV's.

What do you guys think?

Thanks a ton.
post #12 of 3882 Old 04-02-2007, 11:30 AM

Liked: 29
I buy a lot of stuff online, but I'd never buy a tv. If something is wrong with it you have to send it back and wait. Print out the price and see if any local stores will match the price.
post #13 of 3882 Old 04-02-2007, 01:51 PM

can anybody that owns this TV confirm if it can do 1:1 pixel mapping over dvi->hdmi from a pc? thanks
post #14 of 3882 Old 04-02-2007, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchris2 View Post

can anybody that owns this TV confirm if it can do 1:1 pixel mapping over dvi->hdmi from a pc? thanks

I don't think that it can do 1:1 over HDMI but it can over VGA.
(Samsung's are notorious for overscan)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #15 of 3882 Old 04-02-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

thanks

oh well.. back to LG it is then
post #16 of 3882 Old 04-03-2007, 11:23 AM

Does anyone want to talk about settings for the 3253? I was using DVE last night but got a bit confused. I was wondering what everyone else is using.

H
post #17 of 3882 Old 04-03-2007, 08:55 PM

(Re: hideflifestyle)
Quote:

Has anybody used this co. and what has there over all experience been with them.

I just recieved my LN-T4053H today. The order process was fine. I just ordered it from their website, I never called them. In fact, I never even saw a real 4053. I felt like I didn't need to after reading all of the helpful posts here on AVS, plus seeing the photos and information on the Samsung website.

My TV shipped via Con-way, Inc., freight, two days after I placed the order. I was given a tracking number, which was informative. The TV was hauled 2,000 miles, and arrived five days after it was shipped. The box looked to be in mint condition. I would say that the price was the lowest of the reputable resellers online. And roughly a couple of hundred less that the brick and mortar stores, like Worst Buy $321 more at WB...for WHAT!?! So I give hideflifestyle my highest recommendation. I would have ripped them here if they had deserved to be bad-mouthed.

Now the TV. I don't yet have a DVD player. I am waiting for the new Samsung HT-X40 home theater system to become available. Then I can ditch my 20 year old home stereo system I don't have cable or satellite, and I do not have the 4053 hooked up to my computer. I only have OTA. HDTV looks great. There are literally millions of possible combinations of settings for video adjustments. Plus stations and shows vary, but shows look mostly great, after PQ adjustments, which may be ongoing.

The sound is as loud as you could want. Does the bass rock the house? No, but there is nowhere to hide 12 inch woofers on this beauty. I have an old amplifier and large old speakers from an old home stereo system, and I see why American Idol gets people to watch. Between HD video, and cranking up the home theater, that's some entertainment. Well, the top singers on the show anyway

Any questions I will try to answer, but like I said, I only have OTA to go by. I gave my old digital camera to my nieces and nephews, so I can not post any photos.

Here's the TV stand I ordered in black: http://www.standsandmounts.com/index...OD&ProdID=5124

Oh, yeah, I don't like the reflections off of the frame, but I knew that earlier. Why, oh why, couldn't Samsung make a flat black bezel like my Dell 1800fp LCD computer monitor ?
post #18 of 3882 Old 04-03-2007, 09:39 PM

Could anyone with the xx53h try this?

1) In the "all" channels list, make sure all the channels are selected (have the checkmark beside it)
2) Turn off the set
3) Turn on the set and go to the "all" channel list. Now, delete any channel on the list (so there is no checkmark beside it).
4) Turn off the set.
5) Turn on the set again. Check your "all" channel list. Did the set remember your channel list (the deleted channel)?

My set is having problems with me deleting any channel, then turning off the set, and turning it back on. It then only has a few channels to cycle through, yet all the channels it found via autoprogram are greyed out.

However, if I leave all the channels autoprogram found and selected, and turn off the tv, and turn it back on again, all channels are there.

Could anyone please try this? I think something may be wrong with my set...
post #19 of 3882 Old 04-03-2007, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Larry, when you get everything hooked up could you borrow that didital camera so that you could post a few pictures of it?

I'm still trying to decide which one to get, and still trying to figure out what size would be best for my viewing conditions. (6 feet away for gaming, 8-10 for Movies and TV)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #20 of 3882 Old 04-03-2007, 11:36 PM

Can you not watch STD using the HDMI ports? I found that to watch any STD I have to go thru componant. I guess that makes sense. So now I have both componant and HDMI out of my cable box DVR. Is that correct?

Hugh
post #21 of 3882 Old 04-04-2007, 05:44 AM

andysc,
I just tried that. My TV remembers any and all deleted and added channels.

PENDRAG0ON,
Yes, I'd like to post pics, when I can get the use of a camera. But it might be weeks. I don't know what sizes you are considering, but don't bother with a 32". Get a 40" or bigger. Each larger size seems to me to be a huge leap. A 46 is way better than a 40, which is way better than a 32. What's the size of your credit card?
post #22 of 3882 Old 04-04-2007, 07:00 AM

I got my LN-T4042H yesterday. This TV will be for my master bedroom and I'm afraid I'm going to end up all the time in my bedroom and forget about my 50 Panasonic LCD rear projection at my family room. This TV looks great out of the box! I'm overwhelmed for the number of settings this TV has to be adjusted. I liked the aesthetics of the 53H much better, but this set looks very nice in my room too. I just switched the viewing mode to Movie and took the Sharpness all the way down until I receive my Philips DVP5960/37 HDMI DVD to run a full AVIA calibration.
I wanted to go for the 4061F but couldn't justify the almost $600 difference for my viewing purposes. After my first night of viewing, I think I've made a wise choice.
Tomorrow I will post my settings after calibration. One more thing, this TV is a dust collector; have a microfiber towel on hand to clean it periodically.
post #23 of 3882 Old 04-04-2007, 09:28 AM

Larry thanks for the reply.

Anybody have any back lighting issues?
post #24 of 3882 Old 04-04-2007, 10:37 AM

After going through both manuals, differences were updated in my post #6.
post #25 of 3882 Old 04-04-2007, 11:06 AM

Just picked up this tv, and now I'm trying to decide which Oppo player would compliment it more.

After reading up on the 970, 971, 981... I think I'm leaning towards the 970.

Opinions?
post #26 of 3882 Old 04-04-2007, 11:13 AM

The 970 is a very good piece of equipment. I just got the Philips DVP5960/37 HDMI DVD (very good reviews) for my bedroom; this DVD costs half of the price compared to the 970.
I'm waiting for the true HD DVD to come down in price!!!
post #27 of 3882 Old 04-04-2007, 11:27 AM

I bought the Oppo 981 refurbished from their website. It works great with my 3253. I love it and the refurbished price is hard to beat.

H
post #28 of 3882 Old 04-04-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Respectfully, this has been true for the now-old 2006 Samsungs, but over on the LN-Txx61F/LN-Txx65F thread, it is indicated that this problem is largely eliminated when using the HDMI-1 input on the 1080p 2007 models.

Also, the LN-Txx61F, LN-Txx65F, and LN-Txx53H PDF manuals have removed the restriction of not connecting DVI/HDMI to the HDMI-1 input, like on the 2006 Samsungs. (I haven't looked at the LN-Txx42H manual.)

So, I think that the fact that the old models have had trouble with this, and that the LN-Txx61F/LN-Txx65F have it fixed, I am hopeful for the same improvement in the LN-Txx53H series.

Now, who can confirm?

Cheers!
-Greg
post #29 of 3882 Old 04-04-2007, 12:09 PM

EDIT: I went to my local OfficeDepot today to try this, and it did not work. The guy at the store spent a long time on the phone w/ TechDepot to try to do this, but they can only do it with computers when the customer wants to have them configured at the store. Oh well!!

I see that there has been discussion of ordering via TechDepot in this thread, so I thought I'd add the following.

Since it's difficult to me to be at home for deliveries, and I'm a cheapskate who wants to save on shipping fees , I called my local OfficeDepot to see if I could order a TechDepot TV and have it delivered to the store. The guy at the store just said "no".

Wanting to try all the angles, I contacted TechDepot customer service. Here's how they replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechDepot_via_e-mail View Post

You will need to place the order at the kiosk at the
store and then they can ship it to the store .

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Sharon Palmer
Correspondence Group
TechDepot Com - An Office Depot Company

I may try to go this route. I'll report what I find.

-Greg
post #30 of 3882 Old 04-04-2007, 01:33 PM

Plea for help , having a component input problem with this new Samsung...

Yesterday afternoon I brought to my home a LN-T4642H Samsung LCD TV and am pretty
happy with it overall. The month prior to this I had a Vizio 42 inch LCD and thought this new
Samsung cost a tad over 1,000 more I'm not sure it's a 1000 dollars better picture quality but
it has all the extra inputs I really wanted such as 3hdmi, two RF inputs, etc etc..
Plus having 4 extra inches diagonal screen estate is nice.

Here is my problem and it is driving me nuts.
My old DVD player, a el cheapo Sungale , which worked fine with the Vizeo LCD, refuses
to work via COMPONENT on the new Samsung TV. Via composite, or S-Video it is fine and displays. THe Samsung displays 'Weak or No signal Present' and sometimes' Unsupported MOde'.

Okay, so I had bright idea maybe the Sungale DVD player, which had been working fine hours before on the Vizeo, had died in some way or was just mysteriously incompatible. I then went down to purchase another DVD player, this one is a RCA DRC257N, which has in addition to component out and the others a HDMI output.
Well, long story short, only the HDMI and Svideo outputs work with this new RCA DVD Player. When using Component the Samsung still displays the same error messages, Low Signal or Unsupported Mode (it varys).
I tried BOTH sets of component inputs on the Samsung with same result. I went out and bought another set of cables, to swap out, and had same result.

Here is the odd kicker, I have a Sanyo Xacti Video Camera and when hooking it up to the component inputs of the Samsung the Samsung finds the signal and displays fine.

I'm about to go through the hair raising experience of calling the Samsung support to see what they have to say but thought I'd toss this out here and see what pops up.

I can still manage to watch DVD"S with that new RCA el cheapo player as it does have HDMI out but it is very troublesome that BOTH of the DVD players are refused by my Samsung TV's
component inputs.

OH, I almost forgot to add. Even my Cable Box (Motorola) wont work with the Samsung component input. I get same error messages on both ports. Of course I ususally run that via HDMI,. which works fine , but wanted to test another component input.

So, maybe some others have this new set and have similar issues or is it maybe just me?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page