AVS Forum banner

Samsung LNTXX61/65/66 Calibration Settings

849K views 4K replies 663 participants last post by  WPWoodJr 
#1 ·
Now that these sets are in the hands of a few folks, let's get a calibration thread going so we can get these sets tweaked.

LNT4661F

=========

Contrast: 85

Brightness: 46

Color: 56

Tint: G50 / R50 (still experimenting with this one)

Sharpness: 15

Backlight: 5

Black Adjust: low

Dynamic Contrast: low

Gamma: 1

Everything else is pretty much set to defaults at this point, but that is only because I haven't figured out what all of the controls actually do.

NOTE: These settings were achieved from both Avia and DVE calibration DVDs. Hopefully, I will have the HD DVD of DVE in the next week or so to really get a good calibration going.

See less See more
#102 ·
Do these TVs, I have the 5265F, support independent pictures settings for each input or are the settings for Dynamic, Standard, and Movie modes applied globally across all input sources? Both the Sony XBR2 and the Sharp D92U that I had for brief periods of time remembered settings for each input independently; which came in very handy. On the Sony the settings were always saved per input, but the Sharp had the same three modes as the Samsung, but also had a 3rd mode called User that would cause the settings to be applied per input. Too many TV's I'm so confused!

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by km106 /forum/post/0

Do these TVs, I have the 5265F, support independent pictures settings for each input or are the settings for Dynamic, Standard, and Movie modes applied globally across all input sources? Both the Sony XBR2 and the Sharp D92U that I had for brief periods of time remembered settings for each input independently; which came in very handy. On the Sony the settings were always saved per input, but the Sharp had the same three modes as the Samsung, but also had a 3rd mode called User that would cause the settings to be applied per input. Too many TV's I'm so confused!

They are independent. And the settings are saved as well.

#105 ·
Hey Everyone,

Received my 5265 last night. Traded in my cloudy 4695 last years model and cash for it.

Impressions so far have NOT been good. All sources seem to be worse than the 4695 it replaced. I do NOT like movie mode at all. Everything seems so darn dark and lifeless...

I do have some small flashlight issues but it is better than the 4695 clouds I had. It also seems that the sides are brighter than the center of the screen...

I also find the motion blur in hockey to be worse than the 4695...

Anyone have good settings in standard or other than movie mode?

I want desperately to be happy with this unit...even my wife dislikes the picture we are getting and she usually doesnt care...

thanks in advance.

#109 ·
I've noticed that most (if not all) of the settings on this thread have been for Movie Mode. Any feedback on the preference over Standard? I seem to have better contrast and colors and deep blacks (not crushed) in Standard. I can't seem to adjust movie enough to give that eye popping wow. Keep in mind my HD sources are OTA and a STB...no HD DVD player yet and only a PS2 (yes I said PS2) for games, until the format wars shake out a little more.

#111 ·
i have a 4665f and im not sure if this is a calibration issue or not. the only thing i have connected through hdmi is my pc (dvi-hdmi). every once in a while i get a flash of a green or sometimes purple overlay. it only last for a split second but when you pay this kind of money it can be annoying. is this a calibration issue or just a problem with the tv? id hate to have to return it, other than that, i love this thing.

#114 ·
Thanks Waldorf Salad,

Very eager to hear your results. If I just need to install 2 small fans on either corner of the TV to eliminate the flashlight I will. Although I think this is just nuts. To me each of these TV's should be black screen tested before ever being shipped. But in this day and age they would rather have a handful of people complain and return then take the time to achieve screen perfection.

Looking forward to your results.

thanks!

#116 ·
Hey could you guys post viewing conditions with your cal settings? I'm a calibration noob so knowing some of the details would be helpful. Like like/dark rooms, why you tweaked hi or low on certain settings, etc. I got Avia and I understand some of the basics but the hard part I'm learning is that when you change setting A for characteristic A, it changes characteristic B so you have to go back and tweak setting B...

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_yu_job /forum/post/0

HDTV in Movie mode:

Con: 85

Bright: 34

Backlight:4

Black Adj: Low

Dynimic Con Low

Gamma: 1

Thanks, i was actually able to get rid of most of the color change by reducing the green offset and green gain in the White Balance settings.

#118 ·
I know protoboard is going to try, but could some other people please try a 1080p signal over HDMI3?

As I posted before, my Oppo 981 set to 1080p causes the screen to flicker on HDMI3. If I lower it to 1080i, 720p, etc., it works perfectly.

If I keep it at 1080p, but put it on HDMI1 or HDMI2, it works perfectly.

I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with my HDMI3 port, or if this is a problem with the sets.

Thanks!

#119 ·
here's my new settings for Movie mode on my 4661:

Contrast=90

Bright=44

Sharp=26

Color=55

Tint=5050

Back=5

Black adj=low

Dy Cont = med

Gamma = -1

Color = auto

White balance = all 15's, G offset=10

hdmi=low

power sav=low

heres pics:

..since taking the pics ive changed gamma to +1, and dyn cont to low...my camera sucks ass, but these settings are the best ive come up with for movie mode. You may like them, you may not, but they r worth a try. Anyone else find themselves changing settings more than watching the actual tv lol.

#121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolburn95 /forum/post/0

I know protoboard is going to try, but could some other people please try a 1080p signal over HDMI3?

As I posted before, my Oppo 981 set to 1080p causes the screen to flicker on HDMI3. If I lower it to 1080i, 720p, etc., it works perfectly.

If I keep it at 1080p, but put it on HDMI1 or HDMI2, it works perfectly.

I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with my HDMI3 port, or if this is a problem with the sets.

Thanks!

not sure i have no hdmi 1080p devices yet.

getting a ps3 either this weekend or early next week and will test hdmi 3 than but for now all i can say is make sure it is set to rgb in you Oppo 981 as i know if its not you will have some issues

#122 ·
^ You are not the only person having HDMI issues...

I just received my television yesterday and I'm having problems with the HDMI 1 connection. The connection works fine for 10 mins then I loose the connection and recieve a "Not supported mode" message. If I disconnect the HDMI and power cycle the tv it will work again, but after 10 mins I get the same error... Samsung has no knowledge of this issue and suggested I have a service tech come out, but I'm plan to return the set.

I will just wait for more HDMI 1.3 compliant displays to hit the market.

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Name|ess /forum/post/0

^ You are not the only person having HDMI issues...

I just received my television yesterday and I'm having problems with the HDMI 1 connection. The connection works fine for 10 mins then I loose the connection and recieve a "Not supported mode" message. If I disconnect the HDMI and power cycle the tv it will work again, but after 10 mins I get the same error... Samsung has no knowledge of this issue and suggested I have a service tech come out, but I'm plan to return the set.

I will just wait for more HDMI 1.3 compliant displays to hit the market.

What are you connecting via HDMI? I have not had any issues with my Denon 757 to HDMI 2...trying to get a feel for why this seems to be hit or miss.

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY /forum/post/0

What are you connecting via HDMI? I have not had any issues with my Denon 757 to HDMI 2...trying to get a feel for why this seems to be hit or miss.

I used my cable box & PS3 and had the same problem.

Now things are getting more interesting; I made sure the Anynet feature was turned off and changed the mode to "game mode", the connection has been rock solid for an hour... I'm not sure if the solution was Anynet or Game mode, I will try changing the features back and see if I can recreate the problem. I'm still worried about the HDMI stability and I have 30 days buyers remorse to return the TV for a full refund.

Also, Samsungs tech support is absolutely worthless, I got into an argument with tier 2 support. I asked for a manager and was hung up on by the tech... I'm tempted to return the TV for poor service alone, but at least everyone speaks clear english...

Once again curious if anyone else has run into problems with the AnyNet feature?

The HDMI just does not seem solid with this set, perhaps it's the 1.3 standard...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.