AVS Forum banner

Samsung LNTXX61/65/66 Calibration Settings

849K views 4K replies 663 participants last post by  WPWoodJr 
#1 ·
Now that these sets are in the hands of a few folks, let's get a calibration thread going so we can get these sets tweaked.

LNT4661F

=========

Contrast: 85

Brightness: 46

Color: 56

Tint: G50 / R50 (still experimenting with this one)

Sharpness: 15

Backlight: 5

Black Adjust: low

Dynamic Contrast: low

Gamma: 1

Everything else is pretty much set to defaults at this point, but that is only because I haven't figured out what all of the controls actually do.

NOTE: These settings were achieved from both Avia and DVE calibration DVDs. Hopefully, I will have the HD DVD of DVE in the next week or so to really get a good calibration going.

See less See more
#152 ·
anyone in here picking up the hd dve dvd next week?

#153 ·
My copy of HD DVE should be here in the next day or two. Can't wait to see how it looks after a real calibration.

#154 ·
Bryan, hook us up with those settings after bud

#155 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolburn95 /forum/post/0

I'm posting this here, because the main owner's thread has primarily become people interested in the TV, posting requests for information... or their feelings based on views in-store. That is needed, of course, but it also means that posts geared towards owners are quickly lost in the mayhem.

I wanted to summarize what seems to be the current issues with the TV, and how calibration has an effect to fix at least one of them.

1. 480i is not accepted over HDMI. Samsung has confirmed that this is intentional.

2. 480i has white bands/clouds on the left and right side when played over component connections. It is not very practical to try and calibrate to get rid of them, as you would have to make your set extremely dark to really get rid of them. This is a flaw that we have to live with for now, unless Samsung decides to make a fix.

3. There appears to be HDMI handshaking issues.

3a. This has widely been experienced with the PS3. People get signal dropouts, and the TV says searching for signal. Sometimes people have to power the TV off to restore. People are only experiencing this while playing games... NOT while watching Blu Ray movies.

3b. There is a rarer experience, in which the screen momentarily turns to all white static. Some people have seen this with the PS3. I have seen it playing the AVIA calibration disk on an Oppo 981. It seems to only last for a second or two, and then is restored.

4. Those white bands/clouds can appear over HDMI as well. However, these are much more minor, and can be calibrated out... especially by changing HDMI Black Level to LOW. The HDMI Black Level option only shows up over HDMI if you have the right kind of source that supports it. You only have to change it once, and then it applies to all HDMI ports going forward.

5. I have personally experienced the TV turning off momentarily and then turning back on a second later. I hear it "click" when it turns off. (LN-T4661F). I am not sure if I have a defective set, or if other people have had this problem as well. I have experienced it with a TIVO Series 3, and with the Oppo 981.

6. We are still trying to get the discrete IR code for HDMI2. Logitech has them for HDMI1 and HDMI3 already, but not HDMI2.

7. Most sets have almost no true mura/clouding/Sharp Banding issues. However, most do show the mura issues when viewing at an angle. The panels still seem much, much better with regards to mura than most other sets out there.

I have a LN-T4052H and am experiencing similar issues -- such as the clouded pillar on the left side of the screen and the backlight 7 being brighter than 8. I have refered my H series breathren to these F series threads. They have been a big help.

The pillar issue has been problematic (not with HDMI as it can be remedied by setting HDMI to low and my component has no such issue) with my VGA input. I can get it to disappear when I set my LCD to Dynamic and setting the Contrast to about 90 with my Britness at about 41 (Blacklight at 10). Nonetheless, in some games it still appears ever so slightly. I was wondering if there are any settings in Standard picture setting that can make the pillar a disatnt memory without sacrificing PQ -- maybe adjust the gamma?

I want to make this a thing of the past, but need all of your help. Thanks ahead of time.

#157 ·
I'm having a bit of an issue, I have my xbox connected via vga and it seems like everything has a blue outline around it, I tried playing around with the settings on the tv but the issue persists.

The xbox is set up to output the maximum resolution and my tv settings are as follow:

contrast: 80

Brightness:46

colortone: warm 1

energy saving: auto

Unfourtnately I dont have my HD cable box or an antenna just yet to see if this issue occurs via other inputs.

Thanks in advance.

#158 ·
FYI, in case anyone is interested, I think I was able to access the service menu on my 5265. I was a little suprised it worked so I just took a picture and turned the set off because I was too afraid of messing something up.

With the set in standby press mute, 1, 8, 2, power.

#159 ·
Samsung LN-T4665F Help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I just bought the 4665F and im noticing faint horizontal grey bars scanning up the screen. These bars are clearly visible in dark scenes. I have the tv connected using component to a SA8300HD PVR, the resolution is set to 720p for HD and 480p for SD. My settings are as follows

Movie

Contrast 95

Brightness 44

Sharpness 26

Color 52

Tint 50 50

Backlight 5

Color Tone Normal

Digital NR Auto

Black Adjust Low

Dynamic Contrast Low

Gamma -1

Color Space Wide

Edge Enhancement On

xvYCC Off

RO 15

GO 14

BO 13

RG 10

GG 18

BG 12

Energy Saving Low

Any suggestions or recommended settings i could try to get rid of the grey bars/lines that continually scroll up the screen. And should i use 720p or 1080i for HD

Thanks

JIV

#161 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIV /forum/post/0

Samsung LN-T4665F Help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I just bought the 4665F and im noticing faint horizontal grey bars scanning up the screen. These bars are clearly visible in dark scenes. I have the tv connected using component to a SA8300HD PVR, the resolution is set to 720p for HD and 480p for SD. My settings are as follows

Movie

Contrast 95

Brightness 44

Sharpness 26

Color 52

Tint 50 50

Backlight 5

Color Tone Normal

Digital NR Auto

Black Adjust Low

Dynamic Contrast Low

Gamma -1

Color Space Wide

Edge Enhancement On

xvYCC Off

RO 15

GO 14

BO 13

RG 10

GG 18

BG 12

Energy Saving Low

Any suggestions or recommended settings i could try to get rid of the grey bars/lines that continually scroll up the screen. And should i use 720p or 1080i for HD

Thanks

JIV

Does your box have hdmi on it, i have the 8300hd from time warner hooked up through hdmi, and i've heard others say that component tends to show the bars a bit more. I have the 4661, but our settings are very similar i think.

#162 ·
I just can't seem to get rid of the blocking whenever there's some motion on the 52 65. At times it looks amazing and sometimes there's quite a bit of blocking...I have DNR turned off, I get the same results on composite and HDMI? This is my second set and the first one did the same thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

#163 ·
Hi Venom,

I have been posting similar issues for months. I have received one of 3 answers:

1) Its the source

2) Its because the Samsung is a POS and I should buy a Sharp

3) Turn DNIE off and adjust the set

Neither one is helping me....and Hockey is unwatchable on this set

#166 ·

Quote:

Samsung LN-T4665F Help

Hi,

Movie

Contrast 95

Brightness 44

Sharpness 26

Color 52

Tint 50 50

Backlight 5

Color Tone Normal

Digital NR Auto

Black Adjust Low

Dynamic Contrast Low

Gamma -1

Color Space Wide

Edge Enhancement On

xvYCC Off

RO 15

GO 14

BO 13

RG 10

GG 18

BG 12

Energy Saving Low

Thanks

JIV

Which tools did you calibrate the grayscale with?

#167 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafire /forum/post/0

Hi Venom,

I have been posting similar issues for months. I have received one of 3 answers:

1) Its the source

2) Its because the Samsung is a POS and I should buy a Sharp

3) Turn DNIE off and adjust the set

Neither one is helping me....and Hockey is unwatchable on this set

I havnt posted in a while since being one of the first to own the 4066 but I want to share to help out Venom and Aqua.

I truly belive it is the source. I think this because I watch the NY Mets religiously and as some of you may know we get it on 2 channels (SNY HD for weekday games and CW11 for weekend games) Now the SNY HD is amazing, never have any macro blocking/artifacting etc but when the weekend comes and I have to watch the game on SD CW11 (info says its 1080i, but STB info say not HD) the macro/artifacting is evident when motion occurs occasionally. To further test it I do split screen and watch the game via AIR and its the same.

Hope that helps and no the sammy is not a pos...I love it and my 30 day return just expired so I finally took the sticker off (for all of you that told me to take it off 2 weeks ago ^^)

#169 ·

Quote:

Samsung LN-T4665F Help

Hi,

Movie

Contrast 95

Brightness 44

Sharpness 26

Color 52

Tint 50 50

Backlight 5

Color Tone Normal

Digital NR Auto

Black Adjust Low

Dynamic Contrast Low

Gamma -1

Color Space Wide

Edge Enhancement On

xvYCC Off

RO 15

GO 14

BO 13

RG 10

GG 18

BG 12

Energy Saving Low

Thanks

JIV

Since you don't mention it, I assume you have HDMI level set to normal. Most ppl seem to think "low" is best and helps with backlight uneveness.

#170 ·
Hi,

Here are my current settings which are an adaptation of what others have posted in combination of what looks good to my eye. I have not used any calibration software.

Mode: Movie

Contrast: 100

Brightness: 42

Sharpness: 55

Color: 52

Tint: R50 / G50

Color Tone: Cool1

Detailed Settings

Black Adjust: Low

Dynamic Contrast: Low

Gamma: +1

Color Space: Wide

White Balance: RO15, GO14, BO13, RG10, GG18, BG12

Edge Enhancemnet: On

xvYCC: Off

Size: 16:9

Digital NR: Auto

Active Color: Off (grayed out)

DNIe: Off (grayed out)

HDMI Black Level: Low (grayed out)

Film Mode: Off (grayed out)

Game Mode: Off

Energy Saving: Auto

To my eye, the white balance settings seem to help to get rid of the yellow cast that I fined with movie mode.

Please let me know your screen settings.

Regards,

O

#171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sho /forum/post/0

FYI, in case anyone is interested, I think I was able to access the service menu on my 5265. I was a little suprised it worked so I just took a picture and turned the set off because I was too afraid of messing something up.

With the set in standby press mute, 1, 8, 2, power.

Has anybody experimented with the service menu settings? I would be interested to know what different screen settings could be adjusted with this.

#172 ·
I have gone through 4 SONY 40V2500 LCD panels and sent them all back because of clouding. Samsung used to have the same problem since the panels are essentially the same.

Are these new panels (LNT series) free of the clouding issues? SHould I take my current Sony back and change for this new Samsung? All other aspects of the Sony are supurb except for the clouding.

Thoughts?

#173 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohms /forum/post/0

Has anybody experimented with the service menu settings? I would be interested to know what different screen settings could be adjusted with this.

I have used a few tweaks in the service menu, but they are not really worth mentioning on here as many inexperienced users will essentially ruin their sets. Make sure you NEVER enter the calibration menu on the service menu, even out of curiosity.

#174 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguy /forum/post/0

I have gone through 4 SONY 40V2500 LCD panels and sent them all back because of clouding. Samsung used to have the same problem since the panels are essentially the same.

Are these new panels (LNT series) free of the clouding issues? SHould I take my current Sony back and change for this new Samsung? All other aspects of the Sony are supurb except for the clouding.

Thoughts?

I went thru 2 46V2500 and they both had bad clouding. I replaced it with the LN-T5265. IMHO everything is better on these new Samsung's. Get rid of your Sony while you still can.

O

#175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguy /forum/post/0

Thoughts?

I went through 3 40XBR2s, all with significant clouds and corner flashlights. My LN-T4061f has clouds covering just as much of the screen as any of the Sonys--I'd estimate about 40%--but they are not quite as intense. Like the Sonys, I only notice the clouds at night on a dark screen. For example, I recently watched The 12 Monkeys on HD-DVD, and the clouds really stood out during the opening "scene" where there is a message in green lettering over a black background. The Mrs. noticed them right away. All we could do is laugh. My 4061 has a very mild flashlight in one corner.

At this point I could probably just accept the clouds, since I paid about $1,200 less for the 4061 than I paid for the Sony--due in part to sales tax on the Sony--but the 4061 has a fuzzy, grainy picture compared to the Sony. I'm experimenting with the various calibration settings posted here--thanks, everyone--but haven't gotten a picture I like yet. If anyone with a XX61 had the same thought about their set and found satisfaction through some particular settings, please let me know. I'd appreciate it.

#176 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFT /forum/post/0

I went through 3 40XBR2s, all with significant clouds and corner flashlights. My LN-T4061f has clouds covering just as much of the screen as any of the Sonys--I'd estimate about 40%--but they are not quite as intense. Like the Sonys, I only notice the clouds at night on a dark screen. For example, I recently watched The 12 Monkeys on HD-DVD, and the clouds really stood out during the opening "scene" where there is a message in green lettering over a black background. The Mrs. noticed them right away. All we could do is laugh. My 4061 has a very mild flashlight in one corner.

At this point I could probably just accept the clouds, since I paid about $1,200 less for the 4061 than I paid for the Sony--due in part to sales tax on the Sony--but the 4061 has a fuzzy, grainy picture compared to the Sony. I'm experimenting with the various calibration settings posted here--thanks, everyone--but haven't gotten a picture I like yet. If anyone with a XX61 had the same thought about their set and found satisfaction through some particular settings, please let me know. I'd appreciate it.

Please try my calibration settings posted above and see if it helps your clouding. In particular, the energy savings auto may be helpful. I have virtually no clouding on my set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.