Official LG LB5D Owners Thread (37LB5D, 42LB5D, 47LB5D, 52LB5D) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1455 Old 04-13-2007, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This thread is to discuss LG's new LB5D series of LCD flat panel TVs. As of this writing, the only model listed on LG's Web site is the 42-inch 42LB5D. Upon reading the owners manual, which is available for download from here there are references to 37-, 47-, and 52-inch sets.

The 42LB5D is making its way through retail channels and is available at Circuit City, Best Buy, and Sears. One can only assume that the other size sets will follow shortly.

All specifications of the 42LB5D are listed in the first link above. This thread is for owners to discuss their experiences and answer questions. MSRPs are typically listed on LG's site, and that's the extend of any price discussion that will take place here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1455 Old 04-13-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This tv has an awesome picture. I'm still on the fence deciding, but this ones picture quality definitely stood out at the store.
post #3 of 1455 Old 04-13-2007, 02:55 PM

I have been impressed too after looking at the 42" at both BB and CC and comparing it to the Samsung 40 and 4661s. To get the converstation here going I would like to invite owners to comment on the following topics:

1. Backlight uniformity - I watch a lot of fast moving light background sports and have been really bothered by "ghost bars" on the Toshibas, "clouds" on the Sony's and Samsungs, and various issues on the Sharps. When the action pans in golf like when the camera follows a ball through the sky, you should not see it go through lighter and darker areas of the screen due to backlight uniformity -- and you shouldn't have to turn down the brightness or contrast to below desireable levels to make it watchable. Can anyone comment on their sets -- especially viewing them in home lighting situations?

2. Audio sync issues - some sets seem to not be able to sync up the audio and video coming through the HDMI cable very well. From what I have seen, it is usually the audio that is ahead of the video processing. I hear HDMI 1.3 has some sort of lip sync feature but I imagine it requires HDMI 1.3 on both ends to work. Anyone have comments on this issue with the LB5D and know for sure whether the LB5D series definitely has 1.3?

3. USB connection - I would like to do slideshows of my 8 mp .jpg pictures through the USB connection. Anyone tried this and can comment on how fast the LB5D is able to switch photos and draw the images on the screen (some TVs take forever)?

4. Off center viewing - they all advertise 170+ degrees but some wash out badly at as little as 45% off center. Not so good if some of your prime seating is off center. The LB5D looked pretty good in the store but the lighting makes it hard to judge so I would like to hear from some folks who have checked it out in their homes - especially in the dark with minimal lighting.

5. Pixel issues - stuck, hot and dead pixel are defects to me no matter what the manufacturers say about being a normal occurance. I occasionally watch from less than 8 feet and can see a hot pixel on a 1080 set in a dark sceen at that distance which I find distracting. Can those of you who have purchased one of these comment on whether yours was pixel defect free?

6. Overscan - I have seen some comments that indicate there is no 1:1 pixel mapping on this series which I find kind of hard to believe. The spec sheet says there are 6 aspect ratio adjustments. Isn't one of them a "full" mode with no overscan? I am primarily interested in the HDMI connections but would like to hear about folks' observations through component and direct RF as well.

All thoughts and observations are much appreciated!
post #4 of 1455 Old 04-13-2007, 03:23 PM

I bought this tv last week and love it. In response to gameling's questions:

1. I bought the tv last friday and ended up exchanging the one I had the next day due partially to some clouds on the screen (the main reason is coming up). The replacement has no clouding or banding that I can see.
2. I've had no issues with sound being out of sync with my PS3 that is connected to the TV via HDMI.
3. I don't have any experience with pictures on the USB, so I can't comment on that.
4. Off center viewing on this TV is great, I mean its not as perfect as sitting straight in front of the TV, but the picture quality viewed from an angle is the best I've ever seen on an LCD.
5. This is the main reason I exchanged the first TV I picked up. I counted 20 stuck pixels, some much more annoying than others (5-6 of them were bright green). The new one I got only has one stuck pixel, it's green and can't be seen from more than 5-6 inches away from the TV, you really have to look for it to find it.
6. I've only found 5 aspect ratio adjustments: Set by Program, 4:3, 16:9, zoom1, zoom2. I have my computer connected to the TV and noticed bad overscan but then found if you go into the options on the tv, go to input labels, and select PC for the input that the computer is connected to, it completely fixed the overscan. I tried setting other inputs to PC to see if it makes the input 1:1 and it doesn't. (I tried on a 480p source).

One thing I noticed that I thought was odd is if I set the tv to 4:3, the bars on the side are greyish, and not as dark as some of the blacks in the picture. Not really something that is a problem, I just thought it to be strange.

I can try to answer any other questions that people have, but I must say, this TV is thus far excellent and I am glad I bought it.
post #5 of 1455 Old 04-13-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

How exactly is your computer hooked up Landge? VGA or DVI to HDMI conversion cable? Are you actually sending it a 1920x1080@60hz signal? Thanks for chiming into this thread.
post #6 of 1455 Old 04-14-2007, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameling View Post

1. Backlight uniformity - I watch a lot of fast moving light background sports and have been really bothered by "ghost bars" on the Toshibas, "clouds" on the Sony's and Samsungs, and various issues on the Sharps. When the action pans in golf like when the camera follows a ball through the sky, you should not see it go through lighter and darker areas of the screen due to backlight uniformity -- and you shouldn't have to turn down the brightness or contrast to below desireable levels to make it watchable. Can anyone comment on their sets -- especially viewing them in home lighting situations?

This is going to be an issue that will vary from set to set. My particular 42LB5D doesn't suffer from this, but that's no guarantee that if you buy one you won't have these issues. Based on what people are saying about this TV, your odds should be pretty good that you'll get uniform set.

Quote:

2. Audio sync issues - some sets seem to not be able to sync up the audio and video coming through the HDMI cable very well. From what I have seen, it is usually the audio that is ahead of the video processing. I hear HDMI 1.3 has some sort of lip sync feature but I imagine it requires HDMI 1.3 on both ends to work. Anyone have comments on this issue with the LB5D and know for sure whether the LB5D series definitely has 1.3?

Like the other poster in this thread, I've not noticed this issue with my PS3 hooked up via HDMI, both in games and while watching Blu-ray movies.

Quote:

3. USB connection - I would like to do slideshows of my 8 mp .jpg pictures through the USB connection. Anyone tried this and can comment on how fast the LB5D is able to switch photos and draw the images on the screen (some TVs take forever)?

I put a few slightly lower resolution images on a spare USB thumb drive I had and plugged it into the TV. The definition of "forever" is certainly subjective, but the pictures didn't take terribly long to load. Your best bet is to experiment with it. If you brought in a thumb drive with some pictures on it, the store should let you try it out.

Quote:

4. Off center viewing - they all advertise 170+ degrees but some wash out badly at as little as 45% off center. Not so good if some of your prime seating is off center. The LB5D looked pretty good in the store but the lighting makes it hard to judge so I would like to hear from some folks who have checked it out in their homes - especially in the dark with minimal lighting.

By virtue of the way my living room is laid out, I have to sit at an angle from the TV, and it looks just about every bit as good as staring at it straight on.

Quote:

5. Pixel issues - stuck, hot and dead pixel are defects to me no matter what the manufacturers say about being a normal occurance. I occasionally watch from less than 8 feet and can see a hot pixel on a 1080 set in a dark sceen at that distance which I find distracting. Can those of you who have purchased one of these comment on whether yours was pixel defect free?

Not a single dead or stuck pixel on my set.

Quote:

6. Overscan - I have seen some comments that indicate there is no 1:1 pixel mapping on this series which I find kind of hard to believe. The spec sheet says there are 6 aspect ratio adjustments. Isn't one of them a "full" mode with no overscan? I am primarily interested in the HDMI connections but would like to hear about folks' observations through component and direct RF as well.

I don't think there is one on this set, but I'm not having much of an issue with overscan on my set. Maybe 1% at the absolute maximum. I'll have to dig around and see what I can find about a full mode.
post #7 of 1455 Old 04-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

If I were to buy one today could I lay it down in the bed of my truck? I've got a hard cover and didn't know if it was alright to lay one down horizontally.
post #8 of 1455 Old 04-14-2007, 08:58 AM

LCDs don't have gas which may leak out like plasmas so they should be fine to lay down for a trip home from the store. Of course you wouldn't want to pile anything on top of the box and I hear it is best to put the front of the unit facing up (the box should show which side is the front on it somewhere). I have taken several home this way in the back of my SUV without any problems. Good luck and please post your comments after you have some at home experiences.
post #9 of 1455 Old 04-14-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 View Post

How exactly is your computer hooked up Landge? VGA or DVI to HDMI conversion cable? Are you actually sending it a 1920x1080@60hz signal? Thanks for chiming into this thread.

DVI to HDMI cable.
post #10 of 1455 Old 04-14-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply Landge. If you tried the other sources at 480p and it didn't work, I wonder if it only works using digital input such as HDMI. I just got back from Sears looking at this set and the Sammy 4061. Both were awesome, but the LG is considerably cheaper with just as nice of picture. Have you tried using your dvi to hmdi cable on another of the 3 hdmi inputs to see if you get the same result? I have downloaded the manual online, but it doesn't seem to clear in this respect. I could always use the VGA for my pc as long as there is no overscan there, but will be hooking up the new xbox360 elite with the hdmi, and prefer to run that as 1:1 if possible without overscan.
post #11 of 1455 Old 04-14-2007, 03:13 PM

I just went through and tested some things, and it seems the tv DOES overscan on the PS3 via HDMI. However, this is remedied by setting the input label to PC. I tried setting the PS3 to output in only 480p to see if it is a 1:1 mode, but it does not seem to be. Also, these input labels seem to only have an effect on digital sources. Changing the input label made no change to anything over component or VGA.

Edit: Oh yeah, and my computer is outputting in 1920x1080 at 60hz
post #12 of 1455 Old 04-14-2007, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for testing that. Is it possible to have 2 digital sources at once both being given the label 'PC'. Or can the PC label only be given to one component. I am looking at hooking up a PS3 and a HDMI equipped 360, and want to be able to run both at 1:1 with no overscan. Did the PS3 picture noticeably sharpen up once you fixed the overscan?
post #13 of 1455 Old 04-14-2007, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

So in other words, you had the PS3 and you computer both hooked up at same time, both labeled 'PC'? Thats what I think I am looking for. If it wasnt for forums like these, I'd be lost. Buying a tv sure isn't what it was 10 years ago.
post #14 of 1455 Old 04-14-2007, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landge View Post

I just went through and tested some things, and it seems the tv DOES overscan on the PS3 via HDMI. However, this is remedied by setting the input label to PC. I tried setting the PS3 to output in only 480p to see if it is a 1:1 mode, but it does not seem to be. Also, these input labels seem to only have an effect on digital sources. Changing the input label made no change to anything over component or VGA.

Edit: Oh yeah, and my computer is outputting in 1920x1080 at 60hz

awesome , worked like a charm
post #15 of 1455 Old 04-14-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:

So in other words, you had the PS3 and you computer both hooked up at same time, both labeled 'PC'? Thats what I think I am looking for. If it wasnt for forums like these, I'd be lost. Buying a tv sure isn't what it was 10 years ago.

You can set every input to PC if you'd like. There are a few different things they have for input labels: VCR, DVD, Set top Box, Satellite, Cable box, Game, and PC. None of them really seem to do anything on any source except for PC on a digital source. When you switch from any of them to PC on a digital source the screen goes blank for a second and then you can immediately tell that it is no longer overscanning.
post #16 of 1455 Old 04-14-2007, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Thats what I wanted to hear. Thank you VERY much for this information. Does the tv also pass through a Dolby ditgital signal from the digital output, on so equipped devices? Some tvs will only pass through what comes through the tuners. You have been a lot of help. Are you having decent results with the VGA input too?
post #17 of 1455 Old 04-14-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:

Thats what I wanted to hear. Thank you VERY much for this information. Does the tv also pass through a Dolby ditgital signal from the digital output, on so equipped devices? Some tvs will only pass through what comes through the tuners. You have been a lot of help. Are you having decent results with the VGA input too?

Ive got my surround connected to the TV through a digital coaxial connection and it does pass through the dolby digital from the ps3. And yes, the VGA input is fine. I have my xbox 360 connected via VGA and it looks great.
post #18 of 1455 Old 04-14-2007, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Awesome, I just may pick this set up Monday. Now if i can just get BB, Sears and CC in a price war....lol. The only other set I'm considering right now is the Sammy 4061, but I am leaning towards this one because its got a 10% larger viewing area and it's cheaper. If I rememeber right, spicaly returned his 61 series Sammy for this one and is quite happy. Oh, does this set accept 1080p over component also?
post #19 of 1455 Old 04-15-2007, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landge View Post

Edit: It worked completely. I don't really care about component or VGA because my Wii and Xbox 360 look great over those respective connections. I'm also glad I ordered my digital cable box with HDMI. Thank you very much for providing this information.
post #20 of 1455 Old 04-15-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Awesome, I just may pick this set up Monday. Now if i can just get BB, Sears and CC in a price war....lol. The only other set I'm considering right now is the Sammy 4061, but I am leaning towards this one because its got a 10% larger viewing area and it's cheaper. If I rememeber right, spicaly returned his 61 series Sammy for this one and is quite happy. Oh, does this set accept 1080p over component also?

The manual says it does. I don't have my Xbox 360 component cables with me so I can't check. The manual also says that 1280x768 is the highest resolution supported for RGB-PC, which is how I've got the xbox connected. I'm not really sure how to check if that's what the TV is displaying, the 360 is set to 1920x1080. I guess I will have to find my component cables and see if I can notice a difference.
post #21 of 1455 Old 04-15-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I just read that part in the manual too. However, I understood it to mean that if you are using the VGA, you have the option of using the 75hz refresh. If using the HDMI, use the 60. I would have to assume that the 360 IS sending it a 1920x1080@60, and the tv is displaying it as such.

On a sidenote, I just got back from CC, and the LG was gone. They did have the new Toshiba 42HL167 which just came out, but it was a terrible feed of sd. The tv itself was attractive, and comes in 200 cheaper than the LG. I believe the contrast ratio is around 5,000:1 dynamic, so a bit short of the LG.
post #22 of 1455 Old 04-15-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

After going through the manual, I didn't see anything about backlight level settings? Does this set have a backlight adjustment?
post #23 of 1455 Old 04-15-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:

After going through the manual, I didn't see anything about backlight level settings? Does this set have a backlight adjustment?

There are buttons on the remote to increase and decrease the backlight. There is also a sensor on the TV that you can use that automatically adjusts the backlight depending on the light in the room.
post #24 of 1455 Old 04-16-2007, 07:28 PM

Due to width constraint and washed out colors at 45 degree angle viewing on the Mits 37", I'm waiting for the 37LB5D as a replacement. None but one online merchant seem to have it in stock in the US. When someone has it delivered, please post your experience.

Thank you.
post #25 of 1455 Old 04-17-2007, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This was odd. I had turned on my PS3 last night and noticed that parts of the screen (where the background flows) had odd red speckles. They weren't dead or stuck pixels. When I changed the input label to anything but PC (thus bringing back the overscan), it went away. I tried changing HDMI inputs and such to no avail. I was able to keep the input label at PC but change the picture type to Intelligent Eye. That seems to have fixed it. It looks fine, though I was rather dreading the thought of something being wrong and having to box up the set and return it, especially since the display has a nice, uniform backlight and no dead pixels otherwise.

I still love this TV and have no regrets about the purchase. It certainly does have its quirks, though.
post #26 of 1455 Old 04-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Could an owner clarify the PIP capabilities of LB5D series? The manual references it as a feature and leaves it as that. Thanks.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #27 of 1455 Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post

This was odd. I had turned on my PS3 last night and noticed that parts of the screen (where the background flows) had odd red speckles. They weren't dead or stuck pixels. When I changed the input label to anything but PC (thus bringing back the overscan), it went away. I tried changing HDMI inputs and such to no avail. I was able to keep the input label at PC but change the picture type to Intelligent Eye. That seems to have fixed it. It looks fine, though I was rather dreading the thought of something being wrong and having to box up the set and return it, especially since the display has a nice, uniform backlight and no dead pixels otherwise.

I still love this TV and have no regrets about the purchase. It certainly does have its quirks, though.

I have the same red speckels only during the menu system not during any gameplay or blu-ray/dvd watching. so not really worried about it, its only noticeable from a few feet away 3' or less
post #28 of 1455 Old 04-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Went to BrandSmart to check out the 42LB5D and was extremely impressed. The settings were typical showroom, with colors so hot I was reaching for my shades. But it was running BD Ultra Violet from the BDP1000 and it still looked great relative to it's surroundings. The bezel is sleek and the finish is acceptably glossy. The set is very thin and notably lighter then it's competitors. It has all the inputs I was looking for and I got a great deal so I made her mine. I will relay my experiences, and maybe some pictures, if anyone is interested.

post #29 of 1455 Old 04-17-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post

Could an owner clarify the PIP capabilities of LB5D series? The manual references it as a feature and leaves it as that. Thanks.

Which manual/brochure did you see it reference PIP? It would be nice feature to have but I don't think it does.
post #30 of 1455 Old 04-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

I downloaded it from the LG service site as linked from the OP. The manual has 42LB5D listed on the cover. On the "Features of this TV" bookmark under the heading "Multimedia" it says "Picture-In-Picture feature allows you to view your PC and video images simultaneously". That is the only reference to PIP in the manual so I suspected it was a typo. The salesman at BrandSmart said it had no PIP. But PIP be damned, everything else about the TV was great so I was sold.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page