LCD Wall Mount Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 550 Old 04-20-2007, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was recently doing research on this topic and could not find enough information about wall mounts in one place, so I figured to start a wall mount thread.

Please post your review and any pictures of your wall mounts. Tell us if you are satified with its construction, installation ease, and operation performance. I don't know if price discussion is allowed on accessory items so I will not post mine but give a link to the product.

I'll start it off:
The mount I have my Sharp LC-D72U mounted to is the Peerless SP850-S (the S is for silver color) wall mount and their adapter plate PLP V400-S.

The Sharps are VESA 200x200 bolt pattern for wall mounts. When companies refer to VESA 200, it is actually a 200x100 pattern. So in my case I needed the adapter plate.

I love this mount, it is only 2" deep and allows the screen to be pulled out from the wall 10" for cable access. The mount allows the cables to be fished through and has tie off points, but I didn't use them because my cables are pretty much hidden anyways.

On top of that, it allows up to 45 degrees of rotation depending on the screen width. the 42" only allows up to +/- 30 deg.

A close up of the adapter plate. It allows up to 10 degrees of tilt for those who want it higher up on the wall.

This plate allows you to screw to 2 wall studs that are the typical 16" apart and these holes are slotted and allow up to 4" of horizontal movement. Its construction is very heavy duty and easily handled this screens 70lb+/- weight. I purchased both the mount and adapter plate through Buy.com but to find a good low price go to Google Product search: Peerless SP-850 search on Google Products

I recently had a party and someone wanted to hook up their camera to the LCD to show some photos. When I pulled the screen from the wall and rotated it to get to the connectors there was a collective gasp. Major coolness factor points. Bonus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 550 Old 04-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

I have two mounts, a small 360 swivel and one that's larger
that only pivots up and down. Nice photos! It would be GREAT
not to have to take the TV off to adjust the inputs.....
post #3 of 550 Old 04-24-2007, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Two wall mounted Sharp 52 LCD's.

Articulating wall mount from Costco.com.

Tilt mount from the local Costco store.

post #4 of 550 Old 04-25-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Does the tilt mount allow you enough room to get access to connections in back?

This was my issue with my Sharp, because all the connectors are in a hollow spot in back and I needed to see and reach them. Yes, articulating mounts definately cost more, but I thought it was worth it for convenience sake.

Is that Cosco articulating mount wide enough to catch 2 studs 16" apart? If not, then adding support blocking to walls is a real pain.
post #5 of 550 Old 04-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

It is extremely difficult to access the connections on the Sharp when it is on the tilt mount. But it is possible. I can't see the connections when I do it. There is a picture of the input connections layout in the owner's manual. What I have to do is look at that picture and feel around back there for the pattern of inputs I am looking for. So, I basically have to make the connections by feel, not by sight. If I had to do it again, I would have paid the extra money and put the articulating mount there. The tilt mount at least give you a little room to work, but they also make a "static" mount that doesn't tilt and is very close and flush to the wall. I bet that one is impossible to connect inputs without removing the TV for the Sharp.

The articulation mount is wide enough to catch two studs. Mine are 24" apart, and the mount catches them. That particular mount in the picture extends 26", so they way the picture looks fully extended, the backing plate is in the background and looks smaller due to the way the picture is taken. That backing plate is actually about the same size as the front part of the mount that attaches to the TV.

The room I have the articulating mount had steel studs, so I have to remove the drywall and augment the steel studs with wood studs, and rehang the drywall. It was a lot of work. You can see the remnants of the two steel studs in the pictures. All the 2x4 wood stud work had to be added, as my walls had no wood studs.

post #6 of 550 Old 04-28-2007, 11:54 PM

I just bought a Sony 52" XBR3 LCD and am in the market for a mount, it is a lot heavier than I expected. The peerless ST660 was recommended to me, any opinions?

Just wanted to mention that I very much appreciate you having started this thread. So thank you, I will be following intently for responses.
post #7 of 550 Old 04-29-2007, 11:52 AM

Thank you for the pictures, Frank. Regarding the last picture of the drywall with all the cables hanging out, could you please describe what cables you have going thru the drywall and where they run to?

I'm looking to purchase my first lcd. Eventually I'd like to wallmount it with a cablecard, but also be able to connect to a computer somewhere to display digital photos when the not watching television. But I'm having a hard time figuring out what cables and connections I will need and where everything will be located.

Thanks, David
post #8 of 550 Old 04-29-2007, 12:02 PM

I picked up a Omnimount U2 Tilt for my 32" Westy last week and installed it this weekend. The hardest thing for me was just gettting the holes drilled level and deciding how high I wanted it. Overall it was pretty easy, and my "carpenter" skills are pretty lacking. I had a electrician friend install a plug behind the TV and I ran the other wires no problem. Overall I'm pretty happy with the quality, ease, and the price I got ( from Circuit City's Ebay store)

@ Tazo, on my mount which looks similiar to the the Costco tilt monut pic above, the TV can slide left or right on the back plate attached to the wall, so plate is'nt exactly centered on the wall, but the TV is.
post #9 of 550 Old 04-29-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorn View Post

Thank you for the pictures, Frank. Regarding the last picture of the drywall with all the cables hanging out, could you please describe what cables you have going thru the drywall and where they run to?

I'm looking to purchase my first lcd. Eventually I'd like to wallmount it with a cablecard, but also be able to connect to a computer somewhere to display digital photos when the not watching television. But I'm having a hard time figuring out what cables and connections I will need and where everything will be located.

Thanks, David

I am designing my living room and I think the way I will do it is with a faceplate on the wall behind my Sharp 52" LCD with jacks for 3 HDMI, 1 DVI and 1 composite set jacks. All of my components will be in a nearby closet so I'll run all cables through the wall and install jacks in the wall there also. My quick question (not to hijack the thread away from Mount Talk) is what is the maximum length for HDMI, DVI and composite cables?
post #10 of 550 Old 04-29-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
PDR articulating mount with tilt and swivel. (click to enlarge photos)

Whodean,

I don't think there are limits you can push a signal if you really want to spend the time and money but generally 50' is around the limit with out getting some type of signal boosters involved for digital connections. I have 50' connections with the 3 you've listed with no boosters and no issues and the cables are "cheap" price wise but good quality from monoprice.com

Cheers
post #11 of 550 Old 04-29-2007, 04:14 PM

Great Thread

How high should the TV be mounted on the wall? My Sony XBR midpoint is about 44" from the floor (almost exactly eye level). It looks a bit low to me and I want it mounted higher. As a reference point, I thought it preferable to have the bottom of the set at eye level.

Before I move it, I tried sitting on the floor and watched several programs. After a while, I felt a kink in my neck. Too high?

Should I leave it mounted where it is? What you all think?
post #12 of 550 Old 04-29-2007, 06:31 PM

Converse to the last question, I have to mount my 52" Sharp above my fireplace, is this too high?
post #13 of 550 Old 04-30-2007, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post

Converse to the last question, I have to mount my 52" Sharp above my fireplace, is this too high?

The top of my 52" Sharp (on the articulating mount) is about a foot from the ceiling, and it looks great.

Just make sure to not get a "static" mount. Get either an "articulating" or "tilting" mount. Because from that high up, you are going to want to tilt is slightly downward.
post #14 of 550 Old 04-30-2007, 07:30 AM

Thanks Frank.

With your articulating mount (by the way, which brand/model?) how far from the wall does the Sharp protrude?
post #15 of 550 Old 04-30-2007, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorn View Post

Thanks, David

One is the coax cable for cable TV. The others are for monitors.

But, you want to make it so you can easily snake new cables through as needed. The drywall pic has a large hole in the wall with the cables coming out. Also, from the attic, I can drop new cables down. You want it to be flexible for future expansion.

For instance, on the pic with the TV in the living room, you notice I only have a Home Theather and a DVD player. The cable TV was basic cable without a box. About a month later I decided to upgrade my cable TV, so I needed a cable box. Last week I snaked the component video cables for the cable box through the wall.

What I do is just leave large holes and space in the wall, so I can easily run new cables later. If the hole is behind the TV or piece of furniture, then don't worry about it. If the hole is visible, then go to Home Depot and get some nice looking covers or trim pieces over in the electrical department.

You could prewire a bunch of different cables for every possible combination, but it would cost a couple hundred dollars to buy all those cables (multiple HDMI's, composites, digital audio, etc.). I would rather just buy the cables and snake them as I need them.
post #16 of 550 Old 04-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am designing my living room and I think the way I will do it is with a faceplate on the wall behind my Sharp 52" LCD with jacks for 3 HDMI, 1 DVI and 1 composite set jacks. All of my components will be in a nearby closet so I'll run all cables through the wall and install jacks in the wall there also. My quick question (not to hijack the thread away from Mount Talk) is what is the maximum length for HDMI, DVI and composite cables?

You can go about 80 feet with those. Maybe even 100 feet with HDMI. But that is going to cost a lot of money for all that. Rather than "wire for the future", I prefer to have the routing path through the wall ready to be snaked in the future and just "wire for today's needs". Then, if and when you need additional cables, buy the cable and snake it when needed. You will save a lot of money that way.
post #17 of 550 Old 04-30-2007, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Frank.

With your articulating mount (by the way, which brand/model?) how far from the wall does the Sharp protrude?

I bought the mount from Costco.com. It is a Sanus mount, model number VMAA26.

When you push it all the way to the wall, it protrudes 3 inches from the wall to the back of the TV. When you fully expand it, it pulls out 26 inches. So, the range is 3 inches to 26 inches, and anywhere in between.

Sanus also as model VMAA18 (goes between 3 inches and 18 inches), and model VMSA (goes between 3 inches and 9 inches).

The Sanus mount is rock solid with the Sharp. The tilting mount on the other Sharp I have makes the Sharp kind of wobble a little (due to the 200mm VESA pattern). I definitely like the Sanus best. Also, the way the inputs are located in a recessed panel in the center of the back of the TV on the Sharp, it is worth getting an articulating mount so you can pull the TV out to connect the plugs. It is near impossible to connect the plugs on the tilting mount. And I would bet that you would have to remove the TV from the wall to connect cables if you had a flush static mount.
post #18 of 550 Old 04-30-2007, 09:39 AM

I just mounted a Vizio VX32L in our bedroom using this $24.99 mount from MonoPrice. I am pretty happy with the results, especially for $625.00 total!

post #19 of 550 Old 04-30-2007, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

I have not done this myself, but have seen installations where people used 2"+/- plastic PVC pipe from the hardware store to make a cable conduit.

The installation I saw had the pipe going from the floor (where the AV equp. was) to the TV 5' above the ground. In this instance the power cable also went through the pipe but once the wall is open, it's very easy to add another wall outlet. I'd imagine then it's really easy to fish through another cable, if needed, in the future.

radm1f I have no first hand knowledge but the peerless ST660 mount allows you to mount to studs 24" apart, also they say you have up to 12" of horizontal adjustability. That's really nice to have to center your screen in your room. I ended up rejecting this mount because my Sharp would be too close to the wall to mess with connectors, but with other TVs, it may be perfect. One thing I have to say, the Peerless products are really heavy duty. Solid.

calv1n Is that PDR mount the model #AWM175? How is the mount's construction? I was really worried about buying a mount that extended the TV that far away from the wall, the torque on the wall studs must be significant. Did you have to do any additional reinforcing or blocking in the wall? And wow, that is kinda an expensive mount, but pretty beautiful looking when the TV is extended from the wall.

Panic 66 How far from the wall is the back of the TV? It looks to be about 3" or so. Do you have any problem reaching/seeing any connectors? $25? Man, the mount selection/price really changes when you get below 37", I'm jealous.
post #20 of 550 Old 04-30-2007, 11:42 AM

Just finish mounting the mount for my 26" Polaroid on the ceiling right above the bed using the mount I bought on eBay. It is the exact one from Monoprice like in the picture of the above post. I will hang the TV and run the wire next week. It gets hot in the attic past noon to continue to work up there. Will post pic when finish. It is a 200x400 mm VESA odd for a 26"
post #21 of 550 Old 04-30-2007, 02:23 PM

Great thread! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I bought an articulating wall mount last week from Costco for my 32" Toshiba LCD HDTV. Couldn't use it for that TV so I took it back. I just got a 46" XBR3 last week and I am definitely going to have that one mounted. I am hoping I can find an articulating mount that will work for it. Sony advises to only use their wall mount but I am going to do some research to see if I can find one that will work.
post #22 of 550 Old 04-30-2007, 02:53 PM

Tazo

I am not at home but I would say it is about 3-4 inches from the wall. I could easily look up under it and see/access the inputs. The inputs on the Vizio are facing downward so that helps. It's a pretty basic mount but it is built well, easily adjusts side to side and has 15 degrees of forward tilt. This model is just as cheap for the larger version (see below).

MonoPrice 37-63 inch
post #23 of 550 Old 04-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazo View Post

I have not done this myself, but have seen installations where people used 2"+/- plastic PVC pipe from the hardware store to make a cable conduit.

The installation I saw had the pipe going from the floor (where the AV equp. was) to the TV 5' above the ground. In this instance the power cable also went through the pipe but once the wall is open, it's very easy to add another wall outlet.

It is a building code violation to run the power cord through the wall, even if it is in a conduit. The reason is because a power cord is not made for that, it could overheat in the wall and start a fire.

You have to snake Romex wire through the wall, and add another outlet plug behind the TV. You connect one end of the Romex to an existing outlet, and the other end to a new outlet and box. Then plug the TV into the new outlet. This is a little more work than snaking the power cord, but it is a whole lot safer and code compliant.

If you can't do it yourself, then an electrician will install the one drop for about $75.
post #24 of 550 Old 04-30-2007, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post

It is a building code violation to run the power cord through the wall, even if it is in a conduit. The reason is because a power cord is not made for that, it could overheat in the wall and start a fire.

You have to snake Romex wire through the wall, and add another outlet plug behind the TV. You connect one end of the Romex to an existing outlet, and the other end to a new outlet and box. Then plug the TV into the new outlet. This is a little more work than snaking the power cord, but it is a whole lot safer and code compliant.

If you can't do it yourself, then an electrician will install the one drop for about $75.

I agree wholeheartedly. Safety is paramount.

Once a wall is open, adding an additional outlet is very easy and inexpensive.
post #25 of 550 Old 04-30-2007, 05:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazo View Post

calv1n Is that PDR mount the model #AWM175? How is the mount's construction? I was really worried about buying a mount that extended the TV that far away from the wall, the torque on the wall studs must be significant. Did you have to do any additional reinforcing or blocking in the wall? And wow, that is kinda an expensive mount, but pretty beautiful looking when the TV is extended from the wall.

Tazo,

The PDR mount is built like a tank even at full extension I could hang off the thing and very few Flat panel HDTV's weigh close to 190lbs like I do.
I usually end up buying more then I need but I like quality stuff and PDR is top quality IMO the mount is exceptionally well built - easy to work with, went up fast and works like it should. (I did have some minor issues which I fixed with a back plate I had made but those issues were due to my increasing the TV size to 46" when I had the installers build to a 42" display. - It was still a quick fix and it looks and works great). I have the mount installed into 2x4's which are covered with a 1" OSB sheet with the lag bolts that came with the display and it is some solid I have no fears what so ever of that thing ever falling or coming down with out 2 guys and a ratchet. If you want to know where to get a great deal on the mount send me a PM I'll give you the info of where I bought it - which was for considerably less then most stores were charging.

Cheers
Calvin
post #26 of 550 Old 04-30-2007, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post

I bought the mount from Costco.com. It is a Sanus mount, model number VMAA26.

Frank, the VMAA26 is rated to hold up to a 50" TV and you're using a 52" Sharp. Could you comment on why you chose that mount over the VMDD26. I'm debating on which to get for a 52" LCD myself and thought the VMAA would be plenty fince since the LCDs are a good 30-40lbs lighter than the plasmas of the 50" variety.

Thoughts? Did you get any specific input / and how is it holding up?

Thanks!

Drew
post #27 of 550 Old 05-01-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radm1f View Post

I just bought a Sony 52" XBR3 LCD and am in the market for a mount, it is a lot heavier than I expected. The peerless ST660 was recommended to me, any opinions?

Just wanted to mention that I very much appreciate you having started this thread. So thank you, I will be following intently for responses.

I just had my 52XBR2 installed over the mantle two weeks ago. I bought the Omni Mount UCL-X (articulating mount). It's expensive. But It is the best looking mount I've seen too. Why have a nice home, great flat panel and have a sad looking mount. It handles up up to 200 lbs and no wires are seen. Enjoy the new tv.
post #28 of 550 Old 05-01-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagamecock View Post

I just had my 52XBR2 installed over the mantle two weeks ago. I bought the Omni Mount UCL-X (articulating mount). It's expensive. But It is the best looking mount I've seen too. Why have a nice home, great flat panel and have a sad looking mount. It handles up up to 200 lbs and no wires are seen. Enjoy the new tv.

Any pics?
post #29 of 550 Old 05-01-2007, 08:53 AM

To Frank_F

You showed a picture of the Costco Articulating Wall Mount that you used for your Sharp 52" Panel. I will be installing a Sharp 52" (*LC52D92U*) so the application is similar. I checked the mounts out on Costcocom and the picture you displayed is for a mount that they rate up to 50". This may sound silly, but I was wondering if the 2 inches mattered and if we could get away with with using the same one. the weight rating is still way above what the Sharp unit weighs.

If anyone out there has an opinion - it is of course, greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #30 of 550 Old 05-01-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Any pics?

Sorry. I'm computer challenged. However, you can se a pic on the Circuit City web site.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page