Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 6891 Old 05-22-2007, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roopG View Post

Does anyone know if the current firmware available on Philips website is the one everybody was waiting for or is it still the old one.

The posted date on this is "Posted Date: 05/08/2007 Size = 16,989 KB".

Looks to me that Philips did not update the firmware yet. PhilipsTV, can you please confirm.

Thanks.

This is not the version that we have been talkng about. While the latest was scheduled for yesterday, it has been pushed out to Thursday. Additional testing is being performed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 6891 Old 05-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinga View Post

This is not the version that we have been talkng about. While the latest was scheduled for yesterday, it has been pushed out to Thursday. Additional testing is being performed.

Thanks for the update. We are really looking for this update. Will it be possible for you or Philips TV to summarize the fixes coming in with this f/w update?

I am expecting the following fixes with this f/w update:

1. HDMI handshake issues:
a. Oppo 981HD DVD player or other up-converting DVD players should be able to display 1080p (with audio ON) using HDMI-HDMI cable.
b. DVI to HDMI connection should work so that it will fill the whole screen when using 1980x1020 resolution from a computer.
c. DVI to HDMI from cable boxes (e.g. Comcast) should work (no "no video signal" or "unsupported video" problem)
d. Lip-sync issues forum members mentioned.

2. Ability to remember per-input settings (all of them) including Perfect Pixel etc.

3. Fixes to color-wash problem.

4. Fixes to high-pitch sound problem.

Am I asking too much?
post #273 of 6891 Old 05-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

I customized my channel guide on my 7422D with the names of the networks. Then when I went to use them in my favorites list, the software erased all of my channel names in blocks at a time. Seems to only affect the digital channels with point numbers. (ie. 113.13). Very strange bug.

Gotta say that I'm falling out of love with this TV. Lots of bugs as I delve deeper. But I guess that's the pain of early adoption.

Bob
post #274 of 6891 Old 05-22-2007, 10:16 PM

its nice to know philips tv and daveinga keeps us informed. thanks you too.

nice job pikoo.. totaly right on the money. lets cross our finger till thursday
post #275 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikoo View Post

Am I asking too much?

Definitely not, just don't expect a quick fix ...
post #276 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 05:45 AM

I use a panel as my primary PC display the majority of the time and was wondering how the PQ was? I have seen posts about the screen not filling in, but what about the pq? Also, what do the gamers think of this display with their 360/ps3 consoles?
post #277 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Speaking of the screen-not-filling-in issue. I had this issue with a Sharp and it ended up being a monitor setting in my computer. I use a Mac, so I changed the resolution options in my video preferences and got a full screen. I've not tried this with the Philips yet, since I still do not have a DVI to HDMI adapter.

Has anyone else tried this?

Bob
post #278 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsohne View Post

I use a panel as my primary PC display the majority of the time and was wondering how the PQ was? I have seen posts about the screen not filling in, but what about the pq? Also, what do the gamers think of this display with their 360/ps3 consoles?

It looks great with games! I have all three consoles connected (360,PS3,Wii) and they all look great.
post #279 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

It looks great with games! I have all three consoles connected (360,PS3,Wii) and they all look great.

Do you have any idea if it compares to the upper televisions like the Samsung 4061F. I am about ready to bring it back to BB because of HDMI issues. I love the blacks and how the colors pop but constant drop outs make it not worth it. I can deal with some problems but that was more than I could take.
post #280 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have any idea if it compares to the upper televisions like the Samsung 4061F. I am about ready to bring it back to BB because of HDMI issues. I love the blacks and how the colors pop but constant drop outs make it not worth it. I can deal with some problems but that was more than I could take.

The only other set I can compare it to is my old Sony 40V2500 I had. That set looked great with games and the Philips easily matches it. The black levels are also really good on the Philips.
post #281 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west43rd View Post

Speaking of the screen-not-filling-in issue. I had this issue with a Sharp and it ended up being a monitor setting in my computer. I use a Mac, so I changed the resolution options in my video preferences and got a full screen. I've not tried this with the Philips yet, since I still do not have a DVI to HDMI adapter.

Has anyone else tried this?

Bob

I have tried all resolutions on my computer but picture stays bordered. If I change the refresh rate to 24 Hz, then it fills up the screen on all resolutions. 30 Hz gives me "unsupported format" error!!
post #282 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:

To me, pq looks great on my computer connected to HDMI port on this TV. I have Vista Media center on my computer and has a HD tuner in it. HD recordings look awesome (good black levels, bright picture, wide range of colors).
post #283 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Well now my tv is exhibiting a whining high pitched sound while powered off. It wasn't doing this before so if it doesn't stop, I may just get BB to swap it out for another one by the end of the week (also just in case the smudging problem was indeed the tv).

YOTR, is the "whining" constant, or does it only last for a few minutes? Also, is your set connected to Coax or Antenna for ATSC or QAM?

Reason for my asking is I know the set will do channel scans to update new or moved QAM and ATSC channels, for this the circuit board actually turns on, or stays on, while the panel is off. After several minutes of updating the channel map, the circuit board will turn off and the entire set will be off. I'm wondering if this might be what you are hearing/experiencing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72jey View Post

for philipstv
no answer for me?
please!

I am only familar with North American sets. The European sets are different. I'll see if I can dig up some information...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGambone View Post

I see that the firmware is available (42pfl7432d_37_fus_aen.zip), but I don't see any documentation stating what it fixes. Can you provide this for us?

As Daveinga mentioned, the new firmware has not been released yet. Checked with Development today and they are finishing the build as we speak, and hope to have it out by Friday. If there are not detailed upgrade notes I will try to provide.

Quote:

Also, I'm curious... how come this TV is close to $500-$1000 less to some comparable sets? Is most of the work being done via software where the more expensive versions are hardware based? The quality of the picture seems better on this set, although it's a bit washed out in a room that is bright during sunny days. Don't get me wrong... I love the TV. I just got it Sunday and even the wife is in love with it. She didn't want to sleep in bed the other night because she enjoys watching the TV and was going to sleep on the sofa.

Set is constructed in the general manner of all LCDs, uses similar amounts of software/hardware. Software really just drives the hardware, so you can't make up for lack of hardware with software.

As for why the TV is cheaper... I think the question should be to other manufacturers: why are they so much more expensive?

Quote:

Also, is there anything that can be done about the longer turn-on time? Could the set turn-off to only turn off the video and audio control in a sort of stand-by mode, but keep the kernel loaded? I understand that this would result in higher power consumption, but at least I would have the option between quick turn-on/higher power vs slow turn-on/lower power.

No, this would be a major change, and we have no plans to alter this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikoo View Post

I am expecting the following fixes with this f/w update:

1. HDMI handshake issues:
a. Oppo 981HD DVD player or other up-converting DVD players should be able to display 1080p (with audio ON) using HDMI-HDMI cable.
b. DVI to HDMI connection should work so that it will fill the whole screen when using 1980x1020 resolution from a computer.
c. DVI to HDMI from cable boxes (e.g. Comcast) should work (no "no video signal" or "unsupported video" problem)
d. Lip-sync issues forum members mentioned.

2. Ability to remember per-input settings (all of them) including Perfect Pixel etc.

3. Fixes to color-wash problem.

4. Fixes to high-pitch sound problem.

Am I asking too much?

pikoo, point 1. We hope the new firmware fixes many of these issues. We have just sent over the information about the players and computer connections. These may already be taken into account in this update, but also many not. I am also curious about the Oppo piece since "wormbaby" mentioned that he has his Oppo connected via HDMI and is running 1080p no problem. That one has us a little confused. Should be the same for both devices.

Also, I see Ironchef25 is mentioning Lip Sync issues, but I haven't seen anyone else mention them. Cable itself (especially with DVR boxes) can sometimes experience lip sync outside of the TV. We have the Kingdom of Heaven Blu-Ray in the office and have had a couple of people look at it, and no one has noticed lip sync. Ironchef, are you running the signal through any other devices (Receiver?) or is it a straight connection to the TV?

To point 3, we need some more information. Nothing was altered in SW that should affect this. Is it possible the ambient lighting conditions in your room changed (sunlight/lamp/new light bulb..) Ambient room lighting does have an affect on any TVs performance. If this is not the case, I need to get as much info about the condition as possible.

To point 4, need to figure out if this is indeed the channel map updating feature listed above, normal panel noise as mentioned eariler, or something else.
post #284 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Philips TV,

The "whining" noise is constant and doesn't go away. I don't have the set connected to Coax or an Antenna for ATSC or QAM.
post #285 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 09:56 AM

YOTR my buzzing sound is gone .. why .. i have no clue ,, remmeber a few posts back it , i had a problem .. now i played with some settings , i have it on vivid sensor light off .. no buzzing ! .. weird huh !
post #286 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermix24 View Post

YOTR my buzzing sound is gone .. why .. i have no clue ,, remmeber a few posts back it , i had a problem .. now i played with some settings , i have it on vivid sensor light off .. no buzzing ! .. weird huh !

Are you referring to the buzzing that is occurs when the tv is on? I need to try some different settings then to see if it helps. My main issue right now is the "whining sound" that can be heard from the tv when it is off. It is terribly loud but is noticeable nonetheless.
post #287 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 10:29 AM

oh when the tv is off .... thats a big prolem .. return the tv
post #288 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 10:31 AM

i worked at retail store & i know how some people handle stuff .. u probablly bought a tv that was kicked down by an employee was havin a bad day
post #289 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips TV View Post

I am also curious about the Oppo piece since "wormbaby" mentioned that he has his Oppo connected via HDMI and is running 1080p no problem. That one has us a little confused. Should be the same for both devices.

"wormbaby" - can you pl. confirm your philips model, oppo model, resolution and HDMI audio status?

Here is mine: Philips 7422D, Oppo 981HD, 1080p, HDMI audio needs to be disabled to get 1080p.
post #290 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 10:37 AM

i haven't read the manual yet , but Philps Tv , does this Tv adjust itself according to the light in the room ?
post #291 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

oh when the tv is off .... thats a big prolem .. return the tv

What is strange is there are a few people in this thread with the same "whining sound" so I don't know if it is a defect or simply how the tv is. I am going to return the set regardless. Hopefully the next one won't have this issue. There really isn't a trouble free LCD out there (I have gone through quite a few recently) but this one is the closest I have seen to perfect in awhile. It does have a few weird quirks to it but hopefully the ones that bother me the most (buzzing/whining sound) will be resolved when I exchange it.
post #292 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 10:41 AM

ok bout the 1080p problems with the ps3 , if u hold the ps3 for 5 secs it will redectect ur hdmi cable & tell u what setting u want it in .. i noticed something , if the game is in 720 p , the resolution of the whole system has to set to 720 p or else u will hear only audio .. sometimes get lucky & get the picture on the tv ..
post #293 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 10:45 AM

YOTR a tv humming when its off sounds like an electrical problem .. a defect .. my humming was not very loud , it was noticeble but i probablly had some settings jacked to the moon .. if so i have no clue why it would buzz maybe cause of the high current to supply a brighter picture , but if i was u i would pack it today & get a new one .. @ least u can do that
post #294 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

YOTR a tv humming when its off sounds like an electrical problem .. a defect .. my humming was not very loud , it was noticeble but i probablly had some settings jacked to the moon .. if so i have no clue why it would buzz maybe cause of the high current to supply a brighter picture , but if i was u i would pack it today & get a new one .. @ least u can do that

That is very true. Honestly the buzzing is not that loud but it is something I am not used to coming from 3 LCD's before this one. All of my previous LCD's were completely silent. I have a feeling some slight buzzing is normal and I may have to live with it. The whining sound however is something that definitely bothers me. It again is not very loud but when I am loading a game or dvd, I can hear it and just wonder why the sound it there to begin with. The image of the tv itself is pretty amazing. The black level's are VERY good for an LCD and rival most expensive Sony LCD's. I am a pretty big gamer and all of my consoles look great on the tv including the Wii.
post #295 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 11:13 AM

i got lucky , i didn't know this tv just came out :P
post #296 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 11:19 AM

i do also have that whinnnig noise. its a high pitch but its not noticable unless you put your ear near the vent on top of the tv. the pitch is there only when the tv is off.

also i have this white vertical line at the right edge of the tv when im viewing hd signal 1080i/720p when the format on the tv is set in highdefinition. it goes away when i switch the format to widescreen. anyone experiencing this? the set is connected to a motorola hd box
post #297 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 11:23 AM

yess ironchef25 i noticed that widescreen/hi-resolution event change problem .. on a 360 it does it , on a ps3 it does it (only in the game not the menu) the xbox 360 is the same but in the menu it still flickers on the right side of the tv , on the edge of it .
post #298 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

A couple replies:

Philips TV, the whining when off is constant. Low, high-pitched hum.

Powermix24, the manual says yes to the adjusting to room lighting.

Ironchef25, I get a gold line on the left side in high definition format, but only on certain channels. Right now only NBC affiliate has this issue, but had a white line at the top one time on PBS as well. CBS, ABC, Discover HD, etc., do not. Widescreen solves, but would like to know who's issue this is. I would think this is the affiliate or the network and not the TV.

Bob
post #299 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 11:42 AM

Not sure if you guys saw, but Costco is now selling the Phillips 42" 1080p for WAY less than BB...
post #300 of 6891 Old 05-23-2007, 11:57 AM

wow. your right jimmy. the tv is only 1399.99 in costco.. hmmmm will best buy price match it?ive already done a price match when i got the tv. cost 1700.00 then price match it with the price bestbuy.com had it for 1600.00. i wonder if they will be able to price match it agian. only had the tv for 20days
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Philips , Philips 42pfl7403d 27 42 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page