Philips 42" 1080p LCD TV (42PFL7432D/37) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok guys, local BB just got in their first Philips 47" 47PFL7432D/37 panels and I've decided to pull the trigger on one this evening. Question is, are there enough 47" owners to warrant a new Owner thread or should issue discussions (or do 42" owners mind if) be kept here in this thread for now?

Ankly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightwulf View Post

I've only tested it at 60hz, I can certainly try the others when I get home from work.

It's currently connected to a BFG GeForce 8800GTX on XP SP2.

Vista, though pretty, just isn't mature enough for my needs yet. Too many driver incompatibilities... Though, I think the DX10 eyecandy is going to sway me over to the dark side before I'm ready...

The only thing which I did not try was to turn off all picture processing on this connection. I have also downloaded the new firmware so thats what I'm going to try tonight.

If you could test at 30 Hz, that will be great.
post #363 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roopG View Post

The only thing which I did not try was to turn off all picture processing on this connection. I have also downloaded the new firmware so thats what I'm going to try tonight.

If you could test at 30 Hz, that will be great.

I seem to be having the same problems on the pc side as you. Unfortunately, I got the new firmware and it seems better at recognizing the post screen,initial Microsoft Corp meter but then loses the connection. I have set the display to 30hz and it will sync but the Nvidia driver is interlaced so it flickers alot. I also have tried a new dvi>hdmi cable with the same results and I am using Vista also. I may try to install a new copy of XPsp2 and see what the results are then.

Also, PhilipsTV ..I have one pixel stuck mid screen about 4" from the top. Is there anything I can do for this?
post #364 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 01:32 PM

for those of you that has a ps3 and bluray movies can you try these and see if you can duplicate what im experiencing.

set your bd/dvd setting in your ps3 to output bd 1080p 24hz (AUTO) and pop in a bluray. let me know if your noticing some frame slow down. like the frames are skiping. i notice it last night and tried it agian today when i went home for lunch and it did it agian. i turned off bd 1080p 24hz (off) and it worked fine. no skipping. the movie i tried it on was kingdom of heaven.

ps3 is connected via hmdi.
post #365 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anklosaur View Post

Ok guys, local BB just got in their first Philips 47" 47PFL7432D/37 panels and I've decided to pull the trigger on one this evening. Question is, are there enough 47" owners to warrant a new Owner thread or should issue discussions (or do 42" owners mind if) be kept here in this thread for now?

Ankly

Ankosaur,

At what location you found this 47 inch? Here is Chicago, I have not seen this offered at BB yet and neither I can see it on BB online!!
post #366 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 01:53 PM

YOTR ur are right there is a little whining noise coming off the back off the tv when its OFF .
u can barely hear it , but why would a tv whine when its off ? the powersupply ? its more than one unit doing so seems like it .. who knows :P
post #367 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roopG View Post

Ankosaur,

At what location you found this 47 inch? Here is Chicago, I have not seen this offered at BB yet and neither I can see it on BB online!!

I'm in East Texas about halfway between Dallas Tx and Shreveport LA. They got 1 display model yesterday and a second one this am. The guy who checked for me yesterday said he showed 70 more "at the warehouse". Neither it nor the Westinghouse TX units are at BB website but they are hitting the brick and mortars just in time for Memorial day weekend and the 10-12% off coupon (can I post that? sorry if not).
post #368 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:

Ok guys, local BB just got in their first Philips 47" 47PFL7432D/37 panels and I've decided to pull the trigger on one this evening. Question is, are there enough 47" owners to warrant a new Owner thread or should issue discussions (or do 42" owners mind if) be kept here in this thread for now? Ankly

I do not know but it is nice these are finally around !!
post #369 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

should issue discussions (or do 42" owners mind if) be kept here in this thread for now? Ankly

I think it will be better if it is here. Then we all know what is going on - on the 47 side. We have 2 great contributor from Philips (Philips TV and daveinga). They are really great and very supportive. It will be less hopping from thread to thread for them too!
post #370 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Ankly

Actually, there has been a 47" thread since April 14. Here is a link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6&page=3&pp=30

Since their thread is less active than this one maybe it makes sense for one of you owners here to create one entirely new thread called something like "Official Philips PFL7432 and PFL7422 Owners Thread" and invite folks here and there to move over to it. This would make life easier for PhilipsTV and daveinga too since they seem to visit and comment at both threads.
post #371 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Well, the whine is still there, but I really didn't expect the software to fix that issue. That's why the repair tech is coming.

But as for my issue with channel info disappearing (hand-entered names of channels) that seems to have been stopped. The system does seem more responsive on the handshaking issue when changing connections, but I have to test more. I also noticed that the option for "high definition" has been replaced with "unscaled" which is probably a better description for what it does anyway.

Issue with the gold bar on the left of the screen on NBC is still there, but that seems to be the a problem with the source material on a 1080p screen, rather than a problem with the TV. All other channels are good.

Watching Planet Earth on Discover HD at the moment. Frickin' awesome!

Repair tech is schedule for tomorrow morning. I'll keep you all posted on the whining resolution.

Bob
post #372 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikoo View Post

I think it will be better if it is here. Then we all know what is going on - on the 47 side. We have 2 great contributor from Philips (Philips TV and daveinga). They are really great and very supportive. It will be less hopping from thread to thread for them too!

The less thread hopping the better. I have a hard enough time keeping up with this one!!!

And the only difference between the 2 models is the screen size. Actually I would not mind a thread for all the models... something like "xxPFL74x2D/37 official thread". Screen size and ambilight are the only differences between the 4 models... and this does not even include the 52"...

But then again that looks kind of stupid...
post #373 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinga View Post

The time has come folks... Even though the SW is not posted yet, Philips TV and I have a released copy. It is supposed to hit the support website tonight in a daily update, but I want to distribute to those of you having issues, especially HDMI connectivity issues. This should address the problems you are having.

Please PM me your email address and I will send a link to the download. The email will be from yousendit.com. The file too big to email so I am using a 3rd party FTP server. I am using a free service so I will not be able to send to everyone. There is a limit to the amount of downloads so once that limit has been reached that will be it. I would like to give some priority to those who have been active on these boards.

If you are currently not having any issues or can wait another day or so please do not PM me. Sending these out is going to be a manual process and I don't want to spend extra time sending out to those who don't need it.

The email address indicated on the email that we send you is only there for the distribution of the SW. daveinga_philipsTV@yahoo.com is a phantom email that will not be monitored, because neither I nor Philips TV is crazy enough to let our real email out there. Any emails sent to that address will not be read.

One final word. The reason we never wanted to send out beta versions of SW is because in the past we have sent to one person and then that SW is suddenly posted all over the internet. We ask you to please not re-distribute to others especially on the internet. We will find it. It if happens we can all rest assured that early distribution of SW before it hits the official site will never happen again.

Good luck guys... (and gals).

Well....This firmware did not fix my problem. I still have the same issue at all resoultion at 60 Hz (I tried 1920x1080, 1280x720, 1360x768).

30Hz progressive still gives me "unsupported video signal" error and 30Hz interlaced is too flickery to watch.

24 Hz progressive fills the screen but video is jerky.

I love the PQ and want to keep it but most of this I watch via Vista Media center so I would love to have this problem to go away.

PhilipsTV/Daveinga....please help...

post #374 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 06:29 PM

Same here
post #375 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 08:05 PM

Well i would like to thank everyone who spoke up about the price at costco snagged one today for that low price so far everything has been pretty awsome
i currenty have my PS3 hdmi x360 hdmi and wii all connected with a few issues mainly due to handshaking and some channel lockups when changing channels going the wrong way to avi which at that time the TV will hardlock and i have to turn it off

i also have my PC hooked up VIA dvi to hdmi convert and havent had any problems as far as that goes looks awsome specs on PC are XPS 1710 lappy 7900gtx etc etc
i have XP pro and VISTA Ult both installed and both are running fullscreen at 1920x1080 60hz

im just wondering now if i should update my FW cause of the few handshake issues im having and channels hardlocking i havent even looked in the manual yet to see what the FW upgrade entails cause ive been the kid in the candy store for the past few hours ....
post #376 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermix24 View Post

YOTR ur are right there is a little whining noise coming off the back off the tv when its OFF .
u can barely hear it , but why would a tv whine when its off ? the powersupply ? its more than one unit doing so seems like it .. who knows :P

I know that's what I was thinking to. Maybe it's a power supply issue or just how the tv is. I have decided that I can deal with the slight whining even if the non-ambilight version has it to. The tv is to good to let it go for that reason. Yes the sound bugs me but I will just have to learn to deal with it. Hopefully I can get my new set tomorrow evening.
post #377 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by west43rd View Post

Well, the whine is still there, but I really didn't expect the software to fix that issue. That's why the repair tech is coming.

But as for my issue with channel info disappearing (hand-entered names of channels) that seems to have been stopped. The system does seem more responsive on the handshaking issue when changing connections, but I have to test more. I also noticed that the option for "high definition" has been replaced with "unscaled" which is probably a better description for what it does anyway.

Issue with the gold bar on the left of the screen on NBC is still there, but that seems to be the a problem with the source material on a 1080p screen, rather than a problem with the TV. All other channels are good.

Watching Planet Earth on Discover HD at the moment. Frickin' awesome!

Repair tech is schedule for tomorrow morning. I'll keep you all posted on the whining resolution.

Bob

Yes definitely do. I am anxious to hear what the tech thinks about the whining sound. I am thinking it may just be something we have to live with but maybe not.
post #378 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 08:48 PM

The TV is working great. Only thing that is a bit annoying is the overscan (or is it underscan?) issue with Full/High Resolution. I love to use this format, because it looks the best.

Sometimes it's some "information" on the top of the screen (one line of black and white dots/stripes). Sometimes it's a white or yellow line on the left. I noticed on Discovery HD that the line only appears when there is an overlay (the Discovery HD logo, or a TV PG13 rating) on screen.

Any help on how to get rid of it is appreciated. Here's my setup:

Philips 42 LCD
HDMI --> Motorola HD Comcast Cable box
HDMI --> Philips DVD

Thanks,
Roger
post #379 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 09:41 PM
D 5

Hi all,

Thank you for all the help on HDMI.
post #380 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 09:42 PM
D 5

Has anyone updated the NEW software and if so what VERSION is it?

My Philips 42PFL7422D/37 under Current Software Info It displays VERSION Q531U-0.39.9.0

I hope the NEW Update fixes my -Unsupported Video Format- signal flickering.
post #381 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerK2 View Post

The TV is working great. Only thing that is a bit annoying is the overscan (or is it underscan?) issue with Full/High Resolution. I love to use this format, because it looks the best.

Sometimes it's some "information" on the top of the screen (one line of black and white dots/stripes). Sometimes it's a white or yellow line on the left. I noticed on Discovery HD that the line only appears when there is an overlay (the Discovery HD logo, or a TV PG13 rating) on screen.

Any help on how to get rid of it is appreciated. Here's my setup:

Philips 42 LCD
HDMI --> Motorola HD Comcast Cable box
HDMI --> Philips DVD

Thanks,
Roger

Call the cable provider ... they're using the valuable 1920x1080 resolution to house crap
post #382 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinga View Post

The less thread hopping the better. I have a hard enough time keeping up with this one!!!

And the only difference between the 2 models is the screen size. Actually I would not mind a thread for all the models... something like "xxPFL74x2D/37 official thread". Screen size and ambilight are the only differences between the 4 models... and this does not even include the 52"...

Could the forum moderator pls. merge the threads into a Sticky official thread?

I think there's enough interests among users to warrant such a move.

post #383 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 10:51 PM

daveinga,

I tried the beta firmware but just as the 7432 firmware, it boots into the update menu but then claims there are no updates. I have the autorun file in the path F:/upgrades/autorun.upg

any suggestions? Are there any other files I need? A different directory perhaps? Am I missing a button press?

I've got a 7422, btw.
post #384 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juugcatm View Post

daveinga,

I tried the beta firmware but just as the 7432 firmware, it boots into the update menu but then claims there are no updates. I have the autorun file in the path F:/upgrades/autorun.upg

any suggestions? Are there any other files I need? A different directory perhaps? Am I missing a button press?

I've got a 7422, btw.

You need to follow this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10561500
post #385 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikoo View Post

You need to follow this:

I swear I'm doing just that.

The file is on my thumb drive located at F:\\upgrades\\autorun.upg

I plug the drive into the TV and it takes a number of insertion/removal cycles before it will recognize it. Eventually it does.

Then when I go into the menu and get to local update, "autorun" is an option.

So, I click that and the TV turns off and reboots into an upgrade mode and claims there's no upgrades available.

That's really where I'm having trouble. Could it be that my thumb drive, not being immediately recognized by the TV is also not recognized by the upgrade program?
post #386 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post

Could the forum moderator pls. merge the threads into a Sticky official thread?

I think there's enough interests among users to warrant such a move.

First, I was leaning this way myself... as daveinga said, the less topic hopping the better I think.

Second, I've had my panel home for a few hours now and my first impression is "WOW!" I haven't played too much as I'll not have my cable HD box until tomorrow. I suppose it's to be expected but SD is not as good as I'd hoped but better than expected while the few clear HD channels on the unscrambled cable feed are fantastic. Once I've got all the peices together tomorrow through Sat, I might be able to give more detailed comments (if I can tear myself away from it).

Third, this
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingsun13 View Post

Noticed the Whine right away. It's quite a high frequency, something in the 15KHz, or higher, range.

got me thinking... I didn't hear it, but my oldest daughter hears it "dad, you're well over 30 you shouldn't be able to hear it!" . I'm an old rocker and my high freq is shot to hell and I wonder if there's a correlation there between who hears it and who doesn't.

Ankly
post #387 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

daveinga,

1. As roopG mentioned, I am having exact same problem as him. The new f/w is NOT filling up the whole screen with 1920x1080. We were really expecting this problem to be fixed.

2. HDMI handshaking issue:
a) Oppo 981HD works with 1080p (audio ON), but if I go to a different input (say another HDMI input) and come back to Oppo HDMI input, I see "no video signal", "unsupported video format", different test pattern screen, blue screen, and then slowly settles down.

b) I see lots of MPEG artifacts while displaying 1080p from Oppo. It was not the case with Sharp. Is Philips trying to do any processing with the output it got from Oppo and messing up? Oppo does a pretty good job converting.

3. I am not still getting the "right" color. I mean the colors still look washed away.

4. I see "High Resolution" became "unscaled" now.

I have couple of cosmetic suggestions for the next f/w update:

a) Can the menu be displayed as a background? Now it is so distracting, the picture goes away and you see the menu screen, till you choose the 'contrast' etc. And the fonts of the menus are so BIG, it almost looks like it is a 720p TV. The fonts are not impressive at all. They can be crispier (may be Times New Roman) will be a good idea.

b) In the "Installation --> Connection" option, can we have some more, like "Satellite", "DVD2", "Cable" etc.
post #388 of 6891 Old 05-24-2007, 11:44 PM

I went to BB today and they didn't even have the 7432D on display. They had it in the back and hooked it up for me in about 15 minutes. I still don't know what the big deal with Ambilight is, does it make a difference if you're in a dark room?
post #389 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by channy View Post

I went to BB today and they didn't even have the 7432D on display. They had it in the back and hooked it up for me in about 15 minutes. I still don't know what the big deal with Ambilight is, does it make a difference if you're in a dark room?

You'll never see the effect of ambilight in a place like BB unless you can get them to setup in a special darkened area. I'm honestly still undecided about it though the more I watch in a darkened area, the more I see the benefit. It's difficult to describe just what it is.

Ankly
post #390 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juugcatm View Post

I swear I'm doing just that.

The file is on my thumb drive located at F:\\upgrades\\autorun.upg

I plug the drive into the TV and it takes a number of insertion/removal cycles before it will recognize it. Eventually it does.

Then when I go into the menu and get to local update, "autorun" is an option.

So, I click that and the TV turns off and reboots into an upgrade mode and claims there's no upgrades available.

That's really where I'm having trouble. Could it be that my thumb drive, not being immediately recognized by the TV is also not recognized by the upgrade program?

Mine recognizes the thumb drive and does the firmware update unattended. Maybe you need to take the autorun.upg out of the \\upgrade folder and put it in the root.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Philips , Philips 42pfl7403d 27 42 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page