Philips 42" 1080p LCD TV (42PFL7432D/37) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A couple days ago I was asking whether the 42PFL7422 had a swivel stand. Today, my local Costco finally got their shipment in and I checked it out and it does not. So just to summarize, the difference between the 42PFL7432 and the 42PFL7422 include:

No swivel stand
Different remote (black vs. silver)
No ambilight

Price difference is $400 retail but about $200 in reality since discounts are available at Sears and BB but not at Costco at this time. I chose to buy the 7422.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 06:09 PM

just got a costco 7422. the web site firmware upgrade for the 7432, will it work on the 7422? or should I not worry about that so long as I have rev 39.11 on my 7422?
post #453 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
New to high def. I am definatly not a videophile. (very much into
audio). Learned alot from this forum, and partically this thread.

I to choose the 7422 from Costco. This is to be put in a smaller
home theater. 1080p I didn't need, but my son is into gaming
so maybe that will be in his favor.

The picture at Costco was stunning. Next to a Sony and Toshiba
LCD (with much higher prices) the PQ was great to say the
least.

The cost of the 7432 at the BB out here was a few hunderd more
than the 7422. I don't need ambilite (although it would be nice)
or a swivel stand, remotes are bacically the same except for color.
So that's why I choose the 7422...but you can't go wrong with
either set at these prices....vardo
post #454 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyca View Post

just got a costco 7422. the web site firmware upgrade for the 7432, will it work on the 7422? or should I not worry about that so long as I have rev 39.11 on my 7422?

As long as you have the 39.11 on it right now dont worry about upgrading unless you need to. The SW posted on the Philips support site is outdated, but if you run into any problems let me know and I can send you an approved but un-posted version. But check to see if you have any issues on the 39.11 first. Always nice to know what the upgrades are fixing.

David
post #455 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 06:45 PM

I posted this on the DVD section as well.

I wonder if this is a DVD player issue (it's a Philips) or a TV issue:
Here's my problem:

Id like to have as little cable tangle as possible, so I thought HDMI would be perfect. Not so:

Full HDMI solution
DVD --HDMI--> Philips 42 1080 LCD --COAX--> Receiver --> No 5.1 whatsoever

Half HDMI solution
DVD --HDMI--> Philips
DVD --COAX--> Receiver --> Perfect 5.1

I wish I could just the HDMI to connect to the TV and have only one audio out from the tv to my receiver.

Hope I made myself clear. I have updated the firmware to the latest version.

Thanks,
Roger
post #456 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerK2 View Post

I posted this on the DVD section as well.

I wonder if this is a DVD player issue (it's a Philips) or a TV issue:
Here's my problem:

Id like to have as little cable tangle as possible, so I thought HDMI would be perfect. Not so:

Full HDMI solution
DVD --HDMI--> Philips 42 1080 LCD --COAX--> Receiver --> No 5.1 whatsoever

Half HDMI solution
DVD --HDMI--> Philips
DVD --COAX--> Receiver --> Perfect 5.1

I wish I could just the HDMI to connect to the TV and have only one audio out from the tv to my receiver.

Hope I made myself clear. I have updated the firmware to the latest version.

Thanks,
Roger

Roger, I am at home right now and don't have a manual or TV nearby, but I think you need to specify in the TV menu what the input/output of the coax should be (TV/AV1,2,3/HDMI1,2,3/side). I am not sure what it defaults to...

Also, are you getting audio through the TV speakers with setup #1? if not, check the HDMI menu on the DVD player as most players can be setup to either send audio down HDMI, or not send it...
post #457 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll look into it... thing is, I have cable and dvd on HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 and both worked on COAX out automatically (switching that is). Only no 5.1 for the DVD.

I'll have a look now and will let you know what I find.

Roger
post #458 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 06:54 PM

I forgot, I did not update the TV firmware yet.

Roger
post #459 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 07:03 PM

Awesome! I didn't even know about the connection settings in the setup menu.

I set DIGITAL AUDIO IN to HDMI 2

Also set HDMI 1 to HD dig STB and HDMI 2 to DVD

I have 5.1 now, thanks so much for your quick help. Have a great weekend!

Roger
post #460 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 07:16 PM

Ok follow up

1: When switching from DVD (HDMI 2) to Cable (HDMI 1) my reciever first tells me the cable audio it's a Dolby Digital Signal 3.2, only to switch to non 3.2 signal after a second (sound goes off when switching).

2: When switching back from Cable (HDMI 1) to DVD (HDMI 2) my 5.1 signal is gone and now DVD has a regular audio signal as well.

Is this an HDMI issue and should I upgrade the TV's firmware?

Thanks again,
Roger
post #461 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 07:18 PM

Question when i set dynamic contrast on my hdmi2 port which i have my ps3 on it ends up changing it also on hdmi 3 which i dont want it on cause thats the port i have my pc connected to seeing that all the other options are independent from port to port like sharpness etc im wondering why it does this

Another question my ps3 hooked thru hdmi has only 2 real options for stretching the image widescreen and unscaled but when im on my pc i have like 4 reason im in need of more for my ps3 is when i play ps2 games im not getting the full screen theres about an inch to inch and a half border on both sides and no way to change it but if i could use the superzoom setting it should fix that if it were available.

i do have the latest firmware installed Thanks daveinga
post #462 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

We love our TVs, but let our questions wait until after the holiday. (Even my PM

Have a good Memorial Day!

Bob
post #463 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 07:28 PM

Ok, one more observation:

I think it's the fact that I want two different devices over the COAX digital audio out.

The DIGITAL AUDIO IN setting seems to be reset after switching from DVD to Cable. WHen I go back into the connection settings it looks like the DIGITAL AUDIO IN setting is still set to HDMI 2, but it only becomes active with 5.1 sound once I select it again.

So I think I can only hve one digital audio device over DIGITAL OUT. Is that correct? I can wait for my answer till after the weekend

Have a good one!

Roger
post #464 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by west43rd View Post

We love our TVs, but let our questions wait until after the holiday. (Even my PM

Have a good Memorial Day!

Bob

I agree with you. Let them both have a good, and well rested holiday. then we can bombard them with our questions. lol
post #465 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Oh dear lord. I returned my Philips with Ambilight tonight and headed to Costco to purchase the model without it. Everything went smoothly but as soon as it went to a black screen I saw the dreaded clouds that normally pop up on Sony televisions. It isn't horrible but it sure is noticeable (honestly it's worse than the previous Sony TV I had). Well time to pack up another one and head back tomorrow morning. I honestly don't know if I will get another one at Costco. My friend purchased one at the same time at a different Costco and is reporting clouds also. Crap...............
post #466 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 09:25 PM

can i ask you guys where you're from? i noticed several people posted that they saw the 42PFL7432 model at Costco, BB, Sears, CC, etc. Well, I just went to my local BB, Sears, and Costco, and none of them had this model. Btw I'm from Orange County, CA (and its not called the OC!)

Sears did have the 52 inch model (not sure about model#) w/ ambilight. Costco and BB didn't even have any Philips LCD's...any suggestions?
post #467 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikoo View Post

I will try "TrueLife" OFF and report back.(Oppo 981HD and "March of the Penguins")

Picture looking much better. But still seeing lots of static noises, when camera is panning. I think we can call it "banding" in Philips. Anybody else seeing "banding"?
post #468 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Oh dear lord. I returned my Philips with Ambilight tonight and headed to Costco to purchase the model without it. Everything went smoothly but as soon as it went to a black screen I saw the dreaded clouds that normally pop up on Sony televisions. It isn't horrible but it sure is noticeable (honestly it's worse than the previous Sony TV I had). Well time to pack up another one and head back tomorrow morning. I honestly don't know if I will get another one at Costco. My friend purchased one at the same time at a different Costco and is reporting clouds also. Crap...............

Can you pl. post a picture? How bad is it? I posted a picture few posts back. A picture will really help other members. The 7432 you had - didn't have clouding??

What about "banding" - do you see any "noise" when camera is panning in light background?
post #469 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by userdefined View Post

can i ask you guys where you're from? i noticed several people posted that they saw the 42PFL7432 model at Costco, BB, Sears, CC, etc. Well, I just went to my local BB, Sears, and Costco, and none of them had this model.

Sears did have the 52 inch model (not sure about model#) w/ ambilight. Costco and BB didn't even have any Philips LCD's...any suggestions?

Bay area (Northern CA) costco's were carrying 7422D. You can get it from costco.com. Same price, but you need to pay shipping and handling.
post #470 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by userdefined View Post

can i ask you guys where you're from? i noticed several people posted that they saw the 42PFL7432 model at Costco, BB, Sears, CC, etc. Well, I just went to my local BB, Sears, and Costco, and none of them had this model. Btw I'm from Orange County, CA (and its not called the OC!)

I live in Texas. I noticed one Costco had the Philips while another one did not.
post #471 of 6891 Old 05-25-2007, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you pl. post a picture? How bad is it? I posted a picture few posts back. A picture will really help other members. The 7432 you had - didn't have clouding??

What about "banding" - do you see any "noise" when camera is panning in light background?

I would if I had my camera (my sister is using it). No banding at all. When I initally turned the tv on it defaulted to my standby dish network screen which is just a black background with the logo . I immediately noticed the clouds. My last Sony tv had it pretty bad so I know what to look for when it comes to clouds. No the 7432 was perfect picture wise. Perfect black background with no light leakage, flashlights, or clouds. I would say the clouds are comparable to the picture you posted but not quite that bad. My wife noticed the uneven background without me saying anything (she usually thinks I am just being anal ) to her about it. So I am at a loss at this point. I went to my friends house and his clouds are a little worse. So I packed up the tv tonight and will head Costco first thing in the morning. It is almost like the 7432's are built a little better but I can't prove that. I don't think I have read about one person having clouds on the 7432 model. I don't think I will get another one so I guess I will either rebuy the 7432 or search for something else. I am so tired mentally at this point.
post #472 of 6891 Old 05-26-2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:

1. As roopG mentioned, I am having exact same problem as him. The new f/w is NOT filling up the whole screen with 1920x1080. We were really expecting this problem to be fixed.

Pikoo,

Is it with the Oppo or with PS3 as well? Just been to a friend's place and watched BD/DVD on PS3 for 3 hours but didn't noticed any unfill space on screen in Unscaled mode. Have you tried checking wether oppo is cropping any pixel using say, AVIA?
post #473 of 6891 Old 05-26-2007, 12:34 AM

Just been to a friend's place this morning. He's just bough a 7422.

I brought my Spyder2Pro over to calibrate the TV for him. Didn't have time to do an iterative calibration but the 1st round calibrated results are shown in the spreadsheet in the attached zip file.

The picture is simply amazing ... a CR of 1429, with greys within 6350K-6900K from 10%-100%. Blacks are incredibly deep. Gamma, at 1.9x, is a bit too low, and the indiviual curves don't overlap. May be I should sacrifice the bright end a bit and bring red down.

Primary green is a little oversaturated, primary red is a little undersaturated, but generally very acceptable. Cyan and Magenta are off ... will see if I can do anything to it.

The resultant picture is incredibly detailed but not overly sharp - zero ringing with BD over HDMI. There's a bit of trailing but generally unnoticeable.

Overall a job well done by Philips. I'm heading for the 52" when it comes out.

47PFL7422.zip 39.3759765625k . file
post #474 of 6891 Old 05-26-2007, 01:51 AM

Hi all,

Just picked up my Phillips 1080p from CostMo. Coming from A sammy LNT-4665F that has the HDMI 1.3 issues and the reflective screen and the black crush of death. I really tried to love the sammy but returned it in the end, too many issues.

Anyway while I was demo-ing my new Phillips tonight I noticed some strange behavior and wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar. First I repeatedly noticed that while watching a movie through my dish HD feed that the screen would brighten and darken slightly in a given scene, weird and annoying. And More worrisome when demo-ing a bluray movie on my PS3 I noticed what I would describe as repeated slight skipping every 10 seconds or so. I know it's not the disc or my PS3, i just played it on the sammy the other night with out any issues.

Any feedback is much appreciated... Thanks...
post #475 of 6891 Old 05-26-2007, 04:26 AM

Duece, 3 things

First, the set has a light sensor that will adjust brightness to match the intensity of light in a room, you may want to turn that off.

Second, check what firmware you have and make sure it is at least 39.11. Remember, that you can update the firmware on these sets with a USB Thumbdrive.

Third, Sony has just released a firmware update because of some isues via HDMI and 1080p. You may want to update that also.

Then, after you confirm that you did all three, post your results.

These are all issues we have all had.
post #476 of 6891 Old 05-26-2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerK2 View Post

The DIGITAL AUDIO IN setting seems to be reset after switching from DVD to Cable. WHen I go back into the connection settings it looks like the DIGITAL AUDIO IN setting is still set to HDMI 2, but it only becomes active with 5.1 sound once I select it again.

So I think I can only hve one digital audio device over DIGITAL OUT. Is that correct? I can wait for my answer till after the weekend

That digital audio in setting shouldn't have anything to do with the audio coming in over HDMI. It should be for the lone coax digital audio input, so that you can assign that to the proper video input.

I get digital audio out of my TV into my receiver through that synced digital audio out port for a variety of sources. Apple TV (HDMI), ATSC tuner, Wii (composite & stereo). I do have to make sure my TV is on before the Apple TV is on otherwise I get horrible digital static being sent through my speakers -- this is only a problem now that I have it hooked up over HDMI. When I had it hooked up via component with an optical cable leading straight to my receiver, it was a non-issue.
post #477 of 6891 Old 05-26-2007, 05:28 AM

I get one wide horizontal band all the way across the screen when I watch something from my Toshiba DVD player over component cables. I had been using those component cables going into the same input for my Apple TV and I got no banding on the screen from that source. The banding appears on a variety of DVD movies, so it isn't bad source material.

Does anyone think one of the new firmware would solve this problem?

Edit: Apparently it does. So far, so good.
post #478 of 6891 Old 05-26-2007, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quazimojo View Post

Another question my ps3 hooked thru hdmi has only 2 real options for stretching the image widescreen and unscaled but when im on my pc i have like 4 reason im in need of more for my ps3 is when i play ps2 games im not getting the full screen theres about an inch to inch and a half border on both sides and no way to change it but if i could use the superzoom setting it should fix that if it were available.

Try setting it to automatic.
post #479 of 6891 Old 05-26-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinga View Post

The time has come folks... Even though the SW is not posted yet, Philips TV and I have a released copy. It is supposed to hit the support website tonight in a daily update, but I want to distribute to those of you having issues, especially HDMI connectivity issues. This should address the problems you are having.

What all is it supposed to fix?
post #480 of 6891 Old 05-26-2007, 05:51 AM
AZW

Hi i'm new to this thread, just bought this tv few days ago, really great discussion going on here so i thought mind as well input some info...

about the buzzing sound everyone is talking about i hear that too when up close, for some reason i hear it even when tv is on even though it has a different tone to it, wierd thing is that if i adjust CONTRAST to full the buzzing goes away... anyone notice it?

either way this product is great. since tv is only sits in living room and i sit like at least 6 feet away the noise is no issue, haven't try connecting to pc yet (my second most common use with the tv besides watching dvd and hdtv on it), no dvi to hdmi cable...=(

I saw the toshiba 42HL167 about same price as the philips both 1080p/42", anyone check that out before and how is it compare to philips'?

that was my second option but so far this tv is doing good and i plan to keep it since it's slightly cheaper than the toshiba in my area and it has better angle viewing which i needed...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Philips , Philips 42pfl7403d 27 42 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page