post #541 of 6891 Old 05-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikoo View Post

I had similar experience today. I will try another store tomorrow.

I got the 12% off today in another store. Will get the 7432 in 2 days. Will return the 7422 after that. I didn't have the 'whining' sound problem in 7422. Is it only problem with 7432 and may be something to do with ambilight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6891 Old 05-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmen View Post

I found the same coupon for costco as well Jun028-July 4 (approxamately) 42" Magnavox 1080p for $1k. This is what I see at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-42MF4.../dp/B000OWKIRO
It appears to be identical in features and design as the current Phillips 422 model currently at costco. Can Phillips TV or daveinga please highlight the technical differences of these models? Thanks!

I heard that Magnavox is the inferior brand of Philips. I didn't find any mention of Perfect Pixel on Magnavox.

Does Philips outsource the panel manufacturing to BenQ? One my friend knowledgeable to video industry was mentioning this. Is this info correct?
post #543 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasiaMille View Post

P.S. Costco also has a Magnavox 42" 1080p (Costco Item # 197490) available only on its website for $999.99 from July 9 thru July 15. Can anyone shed some light on this item? I'm not a Costco member yet, so I can't look it up on their site. Thanks again.

I don't have the flyer in front of me, but I believe this deal comes later in the summer, so maybe that unit won't be released until then. It does look similar, but for some reason I seem to remember that it has few connection ports. The Philips has three HDMI and 3 component connections as well as the host of other connections you would expect. There is no VGA port, but a DVI to HDMI adapter fixes that for me, plus there's the s-video port.

I'll research, but the set is not listed on Costco.com yet.

Bob
post #544 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Whining issue seems to be only a 7422 issue...that is, either there have been no complaints or I haven't been reading this forum accurately. It may also just mean that Costco buyers have better ears.
post #545 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west43rd View Post

Whining issue seems to be only a 7422 issue...that is, either there have been no complaints or I haven't been reading this forum accurately. It may also just mean that Costco buyers have better ears.

Nope, I've got the 7432.
post #546 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips TV View Post

Correct. There will be two 9 series sets this year. 47PFL9732D and 52PFL9732D both 120hz 1080p LCD sets.

Thanks for the update!
Any MSRP's for those sets?
Sure happy to see 120 Hz.
Will the onboard scaler be the same? Same contrast ratio? HDMI 1.3 w/Deep Color support? Will they be 8 bit as well?
(if you can't say, no problem, enjoying all the info on this set!!!)

Quote:

Our 120Hz aren't actually Grey or Black field insertion (the JVC process you describe). We actually are inserting picture material as the additional frames, not generic blank fields.

Is that better? If so, why?
Sorry, Newbie, thanks.

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #547 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 11:59 AM

After reading through this thread...and through a ton of others regarding other manufacturers tvs...I think I've decided to get the 7432/7422.

Can other 7422 owners confirm the clouding/banding issues that some are having?

If I am understanding the consensus of the thread, the costco 7422's can have the "buzz" (but most don't) and can have clouding/banding; the bb 7432's all have the "buzz" but none have clouding/banding. Is this assesment accurate?

The new firmware is still not listed on the philips site...does it fix the hdmi audio issues with some of the upconverting players that people are having?

Lastly, how is SD and 480p content? Right now, I will not be hooking up any HD source to the tv, just a progressive scan dvd player, a wii, and a cox digital cable box. So, for the time being, SD and 480p content is all I'll be using...I assume this tv is no better and no worse than competitors in this aspect?

So far, this set has been the least problematic when compared to others that I've researched and it's available at B&M stores (always nice) for a great price. If I can get some answers to these questions, I'll be heading down to BB or Costco (both have inventory) to pick one up. TIA for the responses.
post #548 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 12:17 PM

Wow!!! I go away for 3 days and I have to read through 4 pages of posts!!!! Fortunately most were in regards to the BB coupon so I could skim through those...

Note to self: never indicate when software will be released, because it will of course get delayed. I think now we are going on 2 weeks since I said it will be posted... But the good news is I confirmed today that the factory is using the 51.12 SW so now it will just be another day or two before it makes its way to the consumer support site. Don't ask why it takes that long because I dont know...

I have not seen too many posts recently on connectivity issues so I am hoping most have been resolved. Pikoo, how is your oppo player working?
post #549 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 12:21 PM

I just went from a 30 inch Sceptre LCD to the 42PFL7432D/37 from BB. My wife loves the Ambilight and I love the size! So far no buzzing or banding. I had a daylight flourescent hooked up behind the previous LCD which she really liked but the Ambilight is a different thing altogether.

I read through this post and didnt see much discussion on recommended settings. Any suggestions on turning off/on some of the features like Pixel Plus, etc?
post #550 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhemu View Post

If I am understanding the consensus of the thread, the costco 7422's can have the "buzz" (but most don't) and can have clouding/banding; the bb 7432's all have the "buzz" but none have clouding/banding. Is this assesment accurate?

I am not sure why the posts seem to have skewed this way, but we do not think that these issues are model dependant. I have a 7432 on my desk and have take the back off to hear the whine. I also have a 7422 on the floor behind me and have to get on my knees behind the TV to hear it. As far as the clouding/banding the only reports we have seen are from the posts here so I cannot comment on that, but there should not be any difference between the models. I have not seen the clouding/banding on either of the models at my desk, nor any comments in our call center data.
post #551 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 12:31 PM

daveinga: can you comment on what issues/changes the new firmware will resolve/have? I know nailing down a timeframe is hard for software development what with the testing cycles and all, but can you give a rough answer to any fixes/changes that will be made? Thanks!

By the way, I think it's awesome that Philips (either officially or unofficially) has employees checking this forum and providing direct assistance and feedback regarding their customers. I haven't seen this level of customer support in a LONG LONG time for any kind of product or from any kind of company/manufacturer. Kudos to Philips and daveinga & Philips TV!
post #552 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmen View Post

I found the same coupon for costco as well Jun028-July 4 (approxamately) 42" Magnavox 1080p for $1k. This is what I see at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-42MF4.../dp/B000OWKIRO
It appears to be identical in features and design as the current Phillips 422 model currently at costco. Can Phillips TV or daveinga please highlight the technical differences of these models? Thanks!

bump
can dave or Phillips TV comment on the above?
post #553 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 12:39 PM

Sorry about being absent from the forum, was traveling last week, and finally back in the office this week after a long holiday weekend. I'll try to get caught up on some questions lingering.

Talked with Daveinga about the "whining" issue and this is being investigated further, will update when more information is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverseL View Post

am in the market for a 52" lcd I understand that philips has a 52 model (52PFL7432) unfortunately I read that this model will only have ambient 2 channel. My question is that will Philips come out with a 52" model that has ambient surround like the 42 PFL9832 model?

No, there are no plans for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef24 View Post

i decided to change it to automatic. well. when i did that. i pop in kingdom of heaven. notice a very juttery effect. like the scene would would stop and go.. i remember reading back in this thread about 3:2 pull down(page4&5)..
change the setting agian in my ps3 to off instead of automatic and tried to play the movie agian and it seems smooth..

is what im expereincing this 3:2 pulldown mention before?
also. if most 1080p tv has this 3:2 pull down. why would someone use 1080p 24hz?

Can't find the Kingdom of Heaven disc in the office, but updated our PS3 to 1.8 and tried this with several movies (Ultraviolet, Night at the Museum) and did not notice additional judder over the 60Hz output.

The TV will do 3:2 pulldown on 24Hz material. I will look further to try and locate this movie to see if we can replicate the motion problem you are experiencing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerK2 View Post

The TV is working great. Only thing that is a bit annoying is the overscan (or is it underscan?) issue with Full/High Resolution. I love to use this format, because it looks the best.

Sometimes it's some "information" on the top of the screen (one line of black and white dots/stripes). Sometimes it's a white or yellow line on the left. I noticed on Discovery HD that the line only appears when there is an overlay (the Discovery HD logo, or a TV PG13 rating) on screen.

When using the "High Resolution" or "Unscaled" formatting options you will see everything the broadcaster is sending. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do from the TV side to account for different coding/sync information that broadcasters are sending on the video signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juugcatm View Post

The file is on my thumb drive located at F:\\upgrades\\autorun.upg

I plug the drive into the TV and it takes a number of insertion/removal cycles before it will recognize it. Eventually it does.

Then when I go into the menu and get to local update, "autorun" is an option.

So, I click that and the TV turns off and reboots into an upgrade mode and claims there's no upgrades available.

That's really where I'm having trouble. Could it be that my thumb drive, not being immediately recognized by the TV is also not recognized by the upgrade program

If you are still having problems, try another USB drive if available.

Also, you don't have to put the "autorun.upg" in a folder. You can simply put the file on the root of the USB drive and it should automatically start when you insert the USB drive into the side of the TV.

Quote:

2. HDMI handshaking issue:
a) Oppo 981HD works with 1080p (audio ON), but if I go to a different input (say another HDMI input) and come back to Oppo HDMI input, I see "no video signal", "unsupported video format", different test pattern screen, blue screen, and then slowly settles down.

Pikoo, how long does this process take?

Quote:

3. I am not still getting the "right" color. I mean the colors still look washed away.

Is this only with your PC input? (I haven't yet had a chance to connect a computer and try the gmail example you mentioned earlier)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsohne View Post

PhilipsTV

These video cards gave me no problems with any other TV manufacturers. I have had in the last 1 1/2 months a Sharp 42, Sceptre 42 Naga,Samsung 4061F,Toshiba 42,LG 42,Mitsubishi 46131 and the 7432. There must be something in the signal that the Philips is not picking up. I was just glad I could get this working because I finally found a TV worth keeping.

Looking into it, but this is very difficult as all PC cards are slightly different. We have also found PC's/Cards that work with our set and not with competitive sets.

Quote:

Does Philips outsource the panel manufacturing to BenQ? One my friend knowledgeable to video industry was mentioning this. Is this info correct?

No, we make our own TVs. Trust me, I've been to the factory more times than I can remember.
post #554 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

Thanks for the update!
Any MSRP's for those sets?
Sure happy to see 120 Hz.
Will the onboard scaler be the same? Same contrast ratio? HDMI 1.3 w/Deep Color support? Will they be 8 bit as well?
(if you can't say, no problem, enjoying all the info on this set!!!)

Is that better? If so, why?
Sorry, Newbie, thanks.

No MSRP's yet, Scaler will be the same, don't know contrast ratio yet, HDMI1.2a, 8-bit.

Black or Gray Field/frame insertion, reduces the brightness and color of the image. Using picture content results in a brighter more vibrant image.
post #555 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinga View Post

Wow!!! I go away for 3 days and I have to read through 4 pages of posts!!!! Fortunately most were in regards to the BB coupon so I could skim through those...

Note to self: never indicate when software will be released, because it will of course get delayed. I think now we are going on 2 weeks since I said it will be posted... But the good news is I confirmed today that the factory is using the 51.12 SW so now it will just be another day or two before it makes its way to the consumer support site. Don't ask why it takes that long because I dont know...

I have not seen too many posts recently on connectivity issues so I am hoping most have been resolved. Pikoo, how is your oppo player working?

As of yesterday my PC connectivity issues have started again! The tv will report Unsupported Video Format) every time I boot it, but now I can confirm that if I turn my Xbox or PS3 first(which are connected to HDMI 2 and 3) the tv will recognize it everytime! I know its weird but it seems to work. At least I have a work around because I returned the Mits 46131 to CC today. I love this TV!
post #556 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No MSRP's yet, Scaler will be the same, don't know contrast ratio yet, HDMI1.2a, 8-bit.

Black or Gray Field/frame insertion, reduces the brightness and color of the image. Using picture content results in a brighter more vibrant image.

Thanks for the FAST reply!
Hope you enjoyed the long wkend.
And congrats on 'your' display.

No reply, necessary.

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #557 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsohne View Post

As of yesterday my PC connectivity issues have started again! The tv will report Unsupported Video Format) every time I boot it, but now I can confirm that if I turn my Xbox or PS3 first(which are connected to HDMI 2 and 3) the tv will recognize it everytime! I know its weird but it seems to work. At least I have a work around because I returned the Mits 46131 to CC today. I love this TV!

If the TV is turned on before the XBOX or PS3, does it never make the handshake? Even after waiting a few seconds (or minutes/hours/days )
post #558 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 01:30 PM

bump for info about the Costco Magnavox deal
post #559 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Lastly, how is SD and 480p content? Right now, I will not be hooking up any HD source to the tv, just a progressive scan dvd player, a wii, and a cox digital cable box. So, for the time being, SD and 480p content is all I'll be using...I assume this tv is no better and no worse than competitors in this aspect?

I'm in the same boat, no HD content to feed the thing (yet). I don't know how it compares with similar models, but my 7432 looks pretty decent at the 480p my DVD player puts out. My PS/2 will only do 480i but that looks good also.

Though you might keep in mind the set it replaced was a 27" tube I bought during the Reagan administration, so even SD S-Video looks darn good on it to me!
post #560 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:

If the TV is turned on before the XBOX or PS3, does it never make the handshake? Even after waiting a few seconds (or minutes/hours/days )

If I start the system from cold it goes in these steps:

1. Turn on TV
2. Turn on pc, you can hear pc check for floppy and go to post screen
3. TV first reports (no signal) then (Unsupported video format)
4. I can hit reset on pc and tv reports same as in step 3.
5. Next I power up xbox (HDMI 2) or PS3 (HDMI3)
6. Hit reset on pc again and tv will display post screen and boot into Vista.

It works this way everytime and I guess it would iritate me more if I could not find a way around it. I know it's strange. It almost seems like the HDMI channels get some signal from the game consoles to help it recognize the pc. If there is anything else I can help with let me know. I am just hoping a firmware update in the future will fix it.

I have also tried a 2nd dvi>hdmi cable
post #561 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Don't forget (I think someone mentioned it), that you can probably get some network HD content free right from the wall if you are a cable customer. Sorry satellite guys...

If you are using a SD box just split the signal before the box, run one cable in the TV and one into the box, then connect the box to one of the AV inputs. My understanding is that the cable companies are required by the FCC to send HD content down the pipe if it is availalle OTA. They don't tell anyone that and usually they do a good job hiding it. My HD networks at home are 101.1 up to 103.3. I get the following: ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, TBS, PBS. (although PBS and TBS never seem to have anything in HD)
post #562 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Pikoo, how long does this process take?

I think 10 to 15 secs. After that picture settles down.

Quote:
Is this only with your PC input? (I haven't yet had a chance to connect a computer and try the gmail example you mentioned earlier)

No, I see it for other inputs also. Somehow the color does not look "right".[/quote]

Quote:
No, we make our own TVs. Trust me, I've been to the factory more times than I can remember.

Great to know this info.
post #563 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Don't forget (I think someone mentioned it), that you can probably get some network HD content free right from the wall if you are a cable customer. Sorry satellite guys...

IfI get the following: ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, TBS, PBS. (although PBS and TBS never seem to have anything in HD)

yeah, my cable co doesn't say anything, but i get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, TNT, and 65 audio channels...

HD looks awesome on this set...what a great purchase, and to think it was only a coincidence that i came to even see the set at BB...but it blew me away, so i had to buy

steven
post #564 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am not sure why the posts seem to have skewed this way, but we do not think that these issues are model dependant. I have a 7432 on my desk and have take the back off to hear the whine. I also have a 7422 on the floor behind me and have to get on my knees behind the TV to hear it. As far as the clouding/banding the only reports we have seen are from the posts here so I cannot comment on that, but there should not be any difference between the models. I have not seen the clouding/banding on either of the models at my desk, nor any comments in our call center data.

You guys are awesome! Great to see you back in action!

For banding, can you pl. check DVE title 14, gray screen 1?

For clouding, the best way to find out is when the TV is searching for channels and could not find one. It goes to a black screen, and the clouding is evident on that screen.

A picture of the above screens will be really helpful. . imageshack.us hosts it for free.

Today afternoon, I have seen a new problem. Similar to "blue screen of death" problem. Watching Dish network SD (connected via S-Video). Every few mins, the picture goes away, sound is still there (sound is thru audio receiver though). There is nothing reported in the screen, like "no video signal" etc. It happened almost 20 times. Any idea what is going on?
post #565 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Today afternoon, I have seen a new problem. Similar to "blue screen of death" problem. Watching Dish network SD (connected via S-Video). Every few mins, the picture goes away, sound is still there (sound is thru audio receiver though). There is nothing reported in the screen, like "no video signal" etc. It happened almost 20 times. Any idea what is going on?

Can I blame your Dish SD box?

You said it has happened 20 times, but over what time period? What is your audio connection? Direct from box to receiver? or through TV? How long is the video out for? Can you try a composite cable also to another input? should not matter, but just checking.

Do you have a small TV around you could hook up next to your Philips? Most boxes will output S-video and composite at the same time so if they both went out it would be the box, but if only the Philips went out it would be the TV...
post #566 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

I agree that 480 looks pretty darn good on most channels. I expected a 1080p set to show more flaws but it does remarkably well. Admittedly, though, there are some stations, like WGN SD that are just completely horrible.

As for settings, this has been on my mind as well. Later tonight I'll post the settings I use for both my HD channels and for my upscaler DVD player. (Luckily the latest software remembers the settings for each input...all except sound, which is on my wishlist.) The only auto setting I currently use is the Pixel Perfect HD. I've turned off everything else and rely on manual controls.

Anyway, I'd love to share what I find appealing and see what others are finding works for them.

BTW, I wondered before about whether I had slight clouding, but now I'm going with the light leakage (flashlighting) explanation. I've minimized this with proper contrast settings and I'm trusting the opinion of others on this forum that this will minimize further with time.

This picture is simply beautiful.

Bob
post #567 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:

When using the "High Resolution" or "Unscaled" formatting options you will see everything the broadcaster is sending. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do from the TV side to account for different coding/sync information that broadcasters are sending on the video signal.

Philips TV or DaveinGA

I currently have (for a few more days) the 47PF9441D model that I decided to return to Costco this week because of the 1080p input from a computer issue (and the expiration of the 90 days return policy). In the meantime I ordered the 47PFL7432D from BB and I will probably have it on Thursday.

I have a question regarding the image - that can be centered with the remote control using the left/right up/down arrows. I had similar issues on the model I currently have (as described in a previous message someone else posted) with a white band at the left edge (or top) of the screen on some of the DishN HD channels and managed to adjust the image with one or two clicks to the left until the white band disappeared.

Is this feature (centering the image with the remote) still available on the 47PFL7432D? Unfortunately I have not been able to see this TV in any store, for some obscure reason they (BB and Sears) have it for sale if ordered (in the past two-three weeks) but not in the store for display (at least in my area) so I have not been able to play with this TV at all.

Thanks for the excellent support,
IIS
post #568 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 02:48 PM

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of this set while it's in its box? Trying to figure out if my mazda 3 will be able to carry this beast home or if I need to borrow a friends truck. Thanks!
post #569 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 02:48 PM

Well, I've tried the new software and from what I can tell -- Video no longer says "unsupported video" when booting ps3, instead it says "no video". This is fine, however the screen flickers repeatedly for 20 seconds or so while the games load.

I do see the "unscaled" option now, this is good to know what the setting means, as compared to what it was before.

I'm still getting the black bar on the right while watching TIVO (through SVIDEO OUT to tv SIDE input) if the mode is set to automatic, wont fill the whole screen, manually setting to wide seems to get rid of most of the bar.

I'm noticing a lot of "light leakage" on the top right and left corners of the screen -- noticable mostly on all black screens. This was happening prior to the update.

Channels are displaying rather well now on analog cable input (I'm getting digital channels that are unscrambled).

I noticed that it also reset the video settings to default settings, I'm going to play with the settings again. If anyone has a video calibration tool and runs it on their tv and it looks "great" to them, please post your settings and what you did to get them there. I'd be glad to try.

thanks so much to the folks at Philips for not only listening to the community but also making such an awesome tv.
post #570 of 6891 Old 05-29-2007, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameling View Post

I went for the 7422 from Costco and unfortunately it has relatively poor off angle viewing (lot of leakage others have described as goldish or brownish tinge). The attached pictures show the issue from about 45 degrees off to the right. The vertical viewing is also an issue as my viewing locations when sitting are about 25 degree below the TV and there is a bit of washout there too (TV has to be mounted a little higher than eye height due to a built in above my fireplace but I have not noticed a vertical viewing issue with other LCD panels I have owned - Toshiba 42HL196/42LX196/42LZ196, Sharp LC-42D62U, and Sony KDL-40S2010).

My panel also has some cloudiness that shows mostly in darker scenes and/or when the room is darker. This cloudiness can also be noticed in brighter panning scenes like when watching a golf tournament. I can mask the cloudiness to some degree by turning the dynamic contrast up to its highest setting but feel the picture looks somewhat unatural at this setting.

One thing I can't find on this set that most others have is a backlight adjustment. Perhaps if the backlight was cranked down these issues would not be a problem. I have my brightness cranked down to about 45 which helps but on my other sets I could greatly improve things by turning the backlight down from its default torch setting (any chance to add a backlight adjustment in a future firmware update daveinga or PhilipsTV???).

Also have a 42PFL7422D/37 and it has the flashlight problem. Very noticeable when the set is first powered on, all black screen, most of the left side and the upper right quarter of the screen is white. Any programming with dark content is unwatchable. Sadly this is a show stopper, because everything else on this unit is top notch at this price. With HD content that the flashlighting is not a detractor from, the PQ is amazing.

I am also curious as to why no backlight adjustment at all.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Philips , Philips 42pfl7403d 27 42 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page