Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by asis View Post

1. The audio signal that goes from the TV via a coaxial audio cable to my receiver keeps dropping at least every 20-30 seconds for less than a second, than comes back. It's very annoying and doesn't allow listening audio via the receiver. I did some investigation and ruled out all other possible sources of the problem, but the TV:

I notice this problem intermittently and thought it was my cable box. Mmmm... interesting... There seem to be some problems with HDMI and digital audio out.

Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by High&Def View Post

It seems that there have been more reported "clouding" issues with the 7422 non-ambilight model, although Philips claims both to be identical panels. I have the 7432 and am extremely satisfied with this product but have been most impressed with PhilipsTV and Daveinga's willingness to listen and help us with our issues.

I have noticed this to. I have had two 7432's with no clouds. I have a small light leakage spot that is not even noticeable once I calibrated the set (and a few stuck pixels which isn't a big deal). The 7422 I got from Costco had clouds all over the place. My friend got the same tv from another Costco and it had the same problem. That is why I went back to get the 7432 again even though I didn't need ambilight.

Regardless both sets are good and some people don't notice clouds like I do. For the price offered at Costco, it is almost worth dealing with a few clouds. Even the ambilight version is a steal for the price.
post #633 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 12:26 PM

Has anyone tried using a toshiba hd-a2 or hd-a20 on this set? I know some people have reported issues with some upconverting only players, do the problems exist with hd-dvd players that upconvert too? I ask about these players as they have a rebates and free dvd specials and I'm thinking of getting one.
post #634 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsohne View Post

I had the 4061F and returned it. This TV is a good and IMHO better. If you have a 360 or PS3 it is like a new experience. More detail in these games than I had ever imagined!

Great to hear that the Samsung was no good, and yeah I have a 360 and cant wait to hook it up. Probably getting the TV tommorrow.
post #635 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclfoxtrot View Post

I have been unable to get the clock or the program guide to work. The station label will appear when I change channels, but the time (set to automatic, PBS station..have tried others) is not being set. Anyone else experience this issue or could possibly help?

Sometimes this has to do with the quality of signal your cable co is sending or the broadcaster itself. if you read the manual, it states the following:

"Most of the TV channels are not transmitting clock information. There are a few cable channels but they are at the end of the channel ring. There is no clock transmission in antenna channels. In such cases either clock extraction is taking a long time or there is no clock."

as for the program guide, as far as i know, it only work on the channels that are also broadcast OTA (such as ABC-HD, ABC, etc), it doesn't seem to work on cable channels for me...

the feature that sets the channel name is a hit or miss for me, some channels are labeled automatically, and some aren't.

steven
post #636 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 01:04 PM

I have firmware 39.11 and a set with no issues that I can see. Is there any benefit to upgrading the firmware that's listed on the philips site? Any improvements or changes, aside from cosmetic changes in the menu system? Coming from the computer world, I'm torn as there's two trains of thought: if everything works with your current firmware, don't bother upgrading and then my philisophy is to always have the latest and up to date firmware on my compenents. Any thoughts on this?
post #637 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhemu View Post

I have firmware 39.11

i believe that the firmware listed on the philips support site is 39.11, as i have upgraded, and my tv lists itself at 39.11

steven
post #638 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichealGames View Post

I drove around to two Costco locations in Northern Virginia to see this set up close. No one had them. This morning it appears that the set is gone from the Costco site. Bah!

With the issue concerning no option to lock down unused inputs, I'm tempted to look at other sets... even though the Philips on Costco was a great price.

I just sent back a Toshiba 42HL167 that I had on review and it was a great set. It took a while to get great colors but once that happened it was stellar... tempted by that one although it costs more and had 3 HDMI.

I noticed this morning the Philips was no longer on their site, I just assumed they sold out.

I'm going to Costco on Friday to purchase one, hopefully they have not stoped selling them.
post #639 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fam Money View Post

I noticed this morning the Philips was no longer on their site, I just assumed they sold out.

I'm going to Costco on Friday to purchase one, hopefully they have not stoped selling them.

It's not listed on the site anymore, but I called some costcos in my area yesterday and some had stock, some said they'd be getting more in in a day or two. One listed a shipment coming in today and that I could come in and pick one up if I so desired.

So, it appears even though it's not currently listed, the B&M's will/do/should have plenty.
post #640 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have firmware 39.11 and a set with no issues that I can see. Is there any benefit to upgrading the firmware that's listed on the philips site? Any improvements or changes, aside from cosmetic changes in the menu system? Coming from the computer world, I'm torn as there's two trains of thought: if everything works with your current firmware, don't bother upgrading and then my philisophy is to always have the latest and up to date firmware on my compenents. Any thoughts on this?

This is not the latest firmware, but I agree that upgrading is cost/benefit thing. For me, I kept losing my hand-entered channel info and had some minor handshake issues. Both were resolved with this update, so I'm glad I did. There were also some minor menu changes that make things more intuitive.

I have a few more fixes on my wishlist that I would probably pursue as well if they were offered, but nothing dramatic. Very happy after this upgrade, though.

The update is not public yet. Dave has not been able to confirm a specific release date, but it should be soon.

Bob
post #641 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:

All,
Got the 42PFL7422D/37 set at Costco last week.

I like PQ very much. I can live with the levels of cloudiness, backlight leaking, and the power unit off noise; they all are acceptable to me, at least in this particular unit.

I have two issues so far with my TV that need to be fixed:

1. The audio signal that goes from the TV via a coaxial audio cable to my receiver keeps dropping at least every 20-30 seconds for less than a second, than comes back. It's very annoying and doesn't allow listening audio via the receiver. I did some investigation and ruled out all other possible sources of the problem, but the TV:

It is not a coaxial audio cable - tried a few different ones, don't have this problem if the same cable is used to connect audio from DVD directly to the receiver.

It is not TV signal from Comcast - happens also with audio coming from DVD to the TV via a HDMI cable and then going from the TV to the receiver via a coaxial audio cable.

It is not a DVD - happens with audio from Comcast too, doesn't happen if audio goes from DVD to the receiver directly.

It is not a HDMI cable - happens with audio from Comcast too.

So, it leaves the TV as the only source of the problem.

2. Another problem: No matter what I tried to do, I could not get an upconverted 1080P video signal from DVD via HDMI to be shown on the TV. I tried a few different DVD players - Samsung 1080P7, Philips DVP5982/37, Pioneer DV-400V-K, but it's all the same. 720P and 1080i work fine. With 1080P the TV keeps trying to get the HDMI handshake; sometimes it shows video signal from the DVD for a second or two, but keeps dropping it right away and the DVD freezes.

Does anyone else have similar problems?

I would appreciate if the Philips guys can let me know if those are the known issues, if there are any configuration setting that will address them, and if they are getting fixed in the new software upgrade patch.

Thanks in advance.

Just installed the software update offered by davinga (thanks, davinga, for your prompt PM).

The update fixed my second problem - no 1080p HDMI handshake. It works fine now, even though the DVD I played to try freezes once in a while. It could be a DVD problem though.

My first problem - dropping audio via a coaxial audio cable out from the TV to a receiver - still exists, the update did not fix it. It has nothing to do with anything but the TV itself. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
post #642 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveliv View Post

Sometimes this has to do with the quality of signal your cable co is sending or the broadcaster itself. if you read the manual, it states the following:

"Most of the TV channels are not transmitting clock information. There are a few cable channels but they are at the end of the channel ring. There is no clock transmission in antenna channels. In such cases either clock extraction is taking a long time or there is no clock."

as for the program guide, as far as i know, it only work on the channels that are also broadcast OTA (such as ABC-HD, ABC, etc), it doesn't seem to work on cable channels for me...

the feature that sets the channel name is a hit or miss for me, some channels are labeled automatically, and some aren't.

steven

I have a pioneer plasma and a Sony XBR2 SXRD and am able to get the program guide (TV GUIDE) and the auto clock information. The quality of the signal is very good. I had the pio plasma hooked up to the same cable previously and did not have any issues. I set the channel to PBS but perhaps I should change to ABC.
post #643 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:

My first problem - dropping audio via a coaxial audio cable out from the TV to a receiver - still exists, the update did not fix it. It has nothing to do with anything but the TV itself. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure Dave and Philips TV are working diligently getting the reported bugs fixed. These guys are doing a great job addressing issues. Why not give them a little time?
post #644 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc9789 View Post

I'm sure Dave and Philips TV are working diligently getting the reported bugs fixed. These guys are doing a great job addressing issues. Why not give them a little time?

Absolutely! I totally agree that Dave and PhilipsTV are the best. I am very happy with their support.

However, I still had to report that the bug still exists even after installing the most recent update.
post #645 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Just installed the software update offered by davinga (thanks, davinga, for your prompt PM).

The update fixed my second problem - no 1080p HDMI handshake. It works fine now, even though the DVD I played to try freezes once in a while. It could be a DVD problem though.

Thanks to all you guys I am sitting at my desk with a 7432 and 2 DVD players hooked up via HDMI with coax out to a receiver trying either to make the audio drop out or have the 5.1 get stripped off somewhere in the TV. So far I have been unsuccessful.

The movies I have are LOTR and Fried Green Tomatoes. Which one do you think I watch more?

I am working on it...

The good news (yes you have heard it from me before), is the the 51.12 went official in the internal Philips system. Meaning we should be only waiting on a daily data transfer for the updates to be reflected in the Philips support area for public consumption. This should be available for the all the 7432 and 7422 models.

Cross your fingers
post #646 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinga View Post

The good news (yes you have heard it from me before), is the the 51.12 went official in the internal Philips system. Meaning we should be only waiting on a daily data transfer for the updates to be reflected in the Philips support area for public consumption. This should be available for the all the 7432 and 7422 models.

Cross your fingers

Can we get a list of changes/fixes for this release? Pretty please?
post #647 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Can we get a list of changes/fixes for this release? Pretty please?

When it gets posted there "should" be a readme file next to the dowload link... This should have the fixes.
post #648 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 02:16 PM

And if any of you are either from the Atlanta area or Knoxville area please let me know so we can get a first hand look at the issues you are having. Although with my luck most of you are from a state west of the Mississippi or north of the Mason-Dixon line.
post #649 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 02:18 PM

With the current firmware on the site, there is a readme, but it pertains only to upgrading and the steps involved. The zip containing the upgrade doesn't have a readme.

Do you mean there "will" be a readme included that will provide the information, or are you referencing the current "readme", which is not really a readme at all but instead instructions? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just like to know if I should upgrade or not.
post #650 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 02:21 PM

Just purchased a 7422 from Costco. Phillips set was mounted between two Sharp models and picture was awesome. I understand the Costco models have not been upgraded to latest 39.11 firmware. Is this 39.11 firmware the latest ? and does it incude the current upgrade listed on the Phillips 7422/7432 website? One recent thread commented on 39.9.0 installed software.
post #651 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 02:22 PM

Out of curiosity, why are some of you using the digital audio out jack to run to the receiver?

fewer cables?
don't need to change sources on the receiver?
using the TV to fix lip sync issues?
other?

Just curious. At home my setup is running and optical from my DVD and a coax from my HD box direct to the receiver. Just wondering why you guys are choosing this setup.
post #652 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Thanks to all you guys I am sitting at my desk with a 7432 and 2 DVD players hooked up via HDMI with coax out to a receiver trying either to make the audio drop out or have the 5.1 get stripped off somewhere in the TV. So far I have been unsuccessful.

The movies I have are LOTR and Fried Green Tomatoes. Which one do you think I watch more?

I am working on it...

Davinga,

Thanks a lot, for looking into it.

I did some more investation on my own. It looks like the audio goes fine without any dropping via coaxial audio out when watching analog cable channels and when playing mp3 files on an USB flashkey inserted into the USB port on the back of the TV unit.

Both audio from Comcast cable and DVD HDMI unputs get dropped via coax out. No problem with the analog audio output though.

Once again, I very much appreciate your support.

PS. One more comment - I don't see it as a bug, just a "nice to have": No support for Unicode UTF8 in file names and MP3 info displayed by the TV. It shows some garbage characters instead of non-Latin characters in there. iPod does it just fine.
post #653 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:

With the current firmware on the site, there is a readme, but it pertains only to upgrading and the steps involved. The zip containing the upgrade doesn't have a readme.

Do you mean there "will" be a readme included that will provide the information, or are you referencing the current "readme", which is not really a readme at all but instead instructions? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just like to know if I should upgrade or not.

The readme is supposed to have update info in it.. if it does not i will make some calls. You should upgrade. All of the 7422 and 7432 models being produced in the factory right now are using the 51.12. I have an idea of what it fixes but do not have a list in front of me, and dont want to talk about what i am not positive about.

no worries...
post #654 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iis_iis View Post

PhilipsTV,

On the previous model - 47PF9441D - I can adjust the image in High Definition and with HDMI on both HDMI inputs. I am a little confused here but I assume I have to have the TV in front of me to see and compare so I will wait until tomorrow. hopefully Costco won't send anyone to pick up the one I return until I have the new 47PFL7432D and I can test both of them side by side.

The way I see this nudge feature is that is should adjust the image position on the LCD panel (as you would do through the service menu), and this is how it appears to be working on the model I currently have.

Thanks,
IIS

DaveInGA

Since you have the TV connected with HDMI, can you please do a quick check and let me know how the "center the image with the remote" works?

Thanks,
IIS
post #655 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

I have the Costco 7422 version as well. While I am extremely happy with the PQ and features for the Costco price.

A few things really bug me and 1 looks like it won't even get fixed via Firmware. And that is the time it takes to turn on. It takes about 15-20 secs every time! This is my 4th attempt at an LCD TV in the past 2 months. And NONE of the others tooks more than 2 secs to give me an image at power up. While this sounds like a little thing, I turn the TV on and off all the time with little kids, and it's so annoying to feel like it's broken each time I turn on the set.

Does anyone else have the 15-20 sec power on delay?

I have the 7432D, but it only takes me 8 sec to power on.
post #656 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iis_iis View Post

DaveInGA

Since you have the TV connected with HDMI, can you please do a quick check and let me know how the "center the image with the remote" works?

Thanks,
IIS

I am testing with a Philips DVP-8962.

Works in all formats:

1080i
1080p
post #657 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:

I am testing with a Philips DVP-8962.

Works in all formats:

1080i
1080p

Excellent. Thanks for the quick response.
IIS
post #658 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Out of curiosity, why are some of you using the digital audio out jack to run to the receiver?

fewer cables?
other?

Just curious. At home my setup is running and optical from my DVD and a coax from my HD box direct to the receiver. Just wondering why you guys are choosing this setup.

Two reasons:

1. I don't have an HD cable box, in fact I don't have any cable box. Not sure if I want to get one yet. I have analog Comcast cable with free HD channels - Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS. The coax digial audio out allows me to listen 5.1 DD when available on those channels without any cable box.

2. My receiver has only one coax in and it's occupied with a coax from the TV. Unfortunately, many new DVD players don't have optical out. So, I thought about running audio to TV via HDMI, and then from TV to a receiver via a coax.

Hope it answered your questions.
post #659 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

I have the Costco 7422 version as well.

Does anyone else have the 15-20 sec power on delay?

i have the Costco 7422 and it takes at least 10 sec. for the screen to display the image. it might be 15 sec. but i'm not going to get out the stop watch to verify..... so sounds like yours is normal. for what it's worth, mine is quiet ie: no hum!!!
post #660 of 6891 Old 05-30-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:

fewer cables?
other?

I use this setup because of the fewer cables. It just seems the cleanest way to do things, with HDMI carrying both sound and video. On top of that I also have only one coaxial input on the receiver, so I don't need to change inputs on the receiver.

Roger
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Philips , Philips 42pfl7403d 27 42 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page