post #721 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anklosaur View Post

Here's the post where Bob shared his settings.

Bob's settings...

HTH

Ankly

I put my daughter to sleep last night and just passed out. Never got to repost this info, so I appreciate you doing this, Anklosaur.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 06:18 AM

I am a retired Philips Medical employee and have wondered why we never actively pursued the upscale TV business in the states. I have had the 7432 since last Friday and I am truly amazed by its quality and performance. It set up quite easily and has performed flawlessly with little adjustments. I hooked it to an old outside TV antenna and all the local stations came in with HD. Some of the UHF stations that I could not receive came in with HD and much better reception. Directv looks very good. I am amazed at the SD broadcast PQ.

I just downloaded the latest upgrade and will try installing it tonight. Does anyone know if the older firmware is saved on the set anywhere in case of an error of installation
post #723 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 07:06 AM

This might be a silly question, but since I don't have the TV yet I'm curious - how do you download/install firmware upgrades?
post #724 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megashock5 View Post

This might be a silly question, but since I don't have the TV yet I'm curious - how do you download/install firmware upgrades?

go to the official site:
http://www.usasupport.philips.com/pr...SU_US_CONSUMER

as for the actual procedure:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/na4/4/42p...37_fur_aen.pdf

Xbox Live: ChestR0ckWell23 (that's a zero after the R)
PSN: VeeArSix
post #725 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 08:16 AM

Is there any word on when the latest firmware will be updated to the support site?
post #726 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeArSix View Post

go to the official site:
http://www.usasupport.philips.com/pr...SU_US_CONSUMER

as for the actual procedure:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/na4/4/42p...37_fur_aen.pdf

So just a thumb drive or something would do it, cool. Thanks for the links!
post #727 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megashock5 View Post

So just a thumb drive or something would do it, cool. Thanks for the links!

That's exactly right. You copy and paste the upgrade file (.upg) to the root directory of the usb thumb drive, put it in and it does the rest on its own. Very slick!
post #728 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclfoxtrot View Post

Is there any word on when the latest firmware will be updated to the support site?

Some people on this thread have claimed that although the release date hasn't changed, the actual file is the newest firmware (Check out post #668). You can confirm by installing it and looking at the version information. If the fw version you're trying to install is the same or older than your current fw on the set then it won't install.
post #729 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High&Def View Post

Some people on this thread have claimed that although the release date hasn't changed, the actual file is the newest firmware (Check out post #668). You can confirm by installing it and looking at the version information. If the fw version you're trying to install is the same or older than your current fw on the set then it won't install.

You are exactly right. Thanks
post #730 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinga View Post

I am testing with a Philips DVP-8962.

Works in all formats:

1080i
1080p

I picked up the 47 model - 47PFL7432D from BB yesterday. As I mentioned before, I still have (but will return) the 47 - 47PF9441D so I can compare the two.

I only had a chance to play with it for a few hours last night and I can say that this TV is great. if we can resolve some major issues I found. I am reluctant to install the latest firmware as I would like to have the 39.11 available also (just in case something goes wrong with the newer firmware). Can anyone please PM me with a link with the 39.11 firmware so I can download. just in case.

The new model (7432) is definitely better than the previous (9441) Costco sells. It has the viewing angle improved (left/right) and the design is better when compared with the older model. The image is perfect, no banding, flashlight or noise from the back of the TV. I can hear some noise if I put my ear in the back of the TV but not from a few feet away. I like the ambilight also.

Now I will go to the issues. The TV is connected as follows:

- HDMI 1 - Dish Network HD (1080i)
- HDMI 2 - DVD Player - Philips DVP 5960 1080i or 720p upconvert
- HDMI 3 - Media Center - 1080p or 720p
- AV2 - Component from the Dish Network Receiver (for testing)

I do not have Dolby equipment yet, all sound is through the TV.

HDMI handshake issues (I have to change the channel up and down several times before on the HDMI 3 - Media Center computer - the image appears).

Also, there are sound and image adjusting issues. In a previous message I asked David or PhilipsTV if centering the image with the remote works. The response was positive but this does not appear to be the case. As I mentioned the TV is still with the manufacturer delivered firmware (which I will update once I have the 39.11 also in case something breaks - I assume the TV will accept an older firmware, can someone please confirm).

Image Adjusting - The Automatic settings do not work. Only HDMI 1 from Dish Network will enlarge SD 4:3 broadcasts to the full screen. As a test, I have tried the DVD player in HDMI 1 and it doesn't work either (so it doesn't matter which HDMI 1,2,3 port is used with the devices where the Automatic settings do not work).

- Automatic - Resize the image on HDMI 1 Dish Receiver - works - enlarge SD 4:3 broadcasts to full screen.
- Automatic - Resize the image on HDMI 2 or HDMI 3 does not work. This includes the DVD player (an anamorphic DVD is shown on half of the screen in the middle and not enlarged to a full screen). I have to mention that the older model has the Automatic settings working correctly - slightly expanding up/down portion of the image to a full (or almost) screen depending on the image ratio. This issue also includes the Media Center and this is really unwatchable because, besides not enlarging the SD (4:3) left/right to a full screen, in case a SD is presented with black bands up and down, the image will be about one third of the screen in the middle. The old model pulls the image up/down and left/right until the image fills the screen in the Automatic mode.

Image Center - Centering the image with the remote does not work in Automatic mode. Works fine on the previous model. In the High Definition and Wide Screen modes the Left/Right adjusting the image works, but not up/down. I believe this was mentioned by someone else earlier in the thread.

Sound Issue. This one is an even bigger problem. It appears that all works fine as long as there is more than one HDMI source connected. Once I turn off the HDMI 2 or 3 sources, the sound on HDMI 1 disappears. The only way to get the sound back is to turn on the DVD player in HDMI 2 and then change to HDMI 1 and it will work.

Sorry for the long post and I hope I made myself clear. Dave and Philips TV, can you please help me sort these things out. I will try to test some more over the week-end and eventually post some pictures if needed to understand the Automatic resizing or centering the image with the remote - settings that do not work.

Thanks,
IIS
post #731 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:

I'll have to check that out. I've been waiting for the new firmware since I have the dropout issue when changing inputs and I want to get that corrected. I didn't think there was any sense in upgrading the firmware if the new one was coming out any day now.
post #732 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 11:34 AM

Does anyone know if the firmware upgrade dated 05/08/2007 on the model 42PFL7432D/37 support website is the 39.11 upgrade? Size = 16989 KB

What is the firmware upgrade listed on model 42PFL7422D/37 support website dated 03/26/2007? Size = 18,027 KB
post #733 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon04 View Post

Does anyone know if the firmware upgrade dated 05/08/2007 on the model 42PFL7432D/37 support website is the 39.11 upgrade? Size = 16989 KB

The new firmware is 17,230KB. The one dated 5/8 looks to be 39.11.
post #734 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

What do you think?

Have 4 stuck pixels (always on) also. I can't see them from 5 ft. away. Should I return and try another one? I am really tired.

Daveinga/Philips TV: Should I give a call to Philips service? Do you think the service guy will be able to do anything with this set?
post #735 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 11:53 AM

That's pretty bad, mine has a bit of clouding, but nothing anywhere close to that. I would return it, especially combined with the 4 stuck pixels.

Roger
post #736 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikoo View Post

What do you think?

Have 4 stuck pixels (always on) also. I can't see them from 5 ft. away. Should I return and try another one? I am really tired.

This is definitely a bit worse than my set. I have barely noticeable clouds and only brightness in the top left and bottom right corners. I see this when I turn the set on, but then my settings kick in and the screen gets nice and even. It worries me a bit, but frankly, I never see any problems once I start watching content.

I would return your set, Pikoo. I can't image a repair tech can do anything about that screen.

Bob
post #737 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikoo View Post

What do you think?

Daveinga/Philips TV: Should I give a call to Philips service? Do you think the service guy will be able to do anything with this set?

This is quite like how my set looks with just a plan black image, though I have no stuck/dead pixels. Out of curiosity, where are you located and where did you purchase your set?
post #738 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhemu View Post

This is quite like how my set looks with just a plan black image, though I have no stuck/dead pixels. Out of curiosity, where are you located and where did you purchase your set?

Bay area, Northern CA. Bought it from Santana Row, San Jose Best Buy.
post #739 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, I am seeing everyone's pix of clouds and agree they are there, but I am confused, are they only present during power up and no signal periods, or are they present in dark scenes as well? If they are present when black should be black, I would be concerned, but if this is just the tv's way of entertaining itself without a signal, what is the harm?
post #740 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmen View Post

Ok, I am seeing everyone's pix of clouds and agree they are there, but I am confused, are they only present during power up and no signal periods, or are they present in dark scenes as well? If they are present when black should be black, I would be concerned, but if this is just the tv's way of entertaining itself without a signal, what is the harm?

The problem is that - they are present in the dark scenes. The good test for the clouding is - if you have Disney's "Mighty Joe Young" DVD, look for the first few minutes in the dark jungle.
post #741 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 12:45 PM

danmen: those of use reporting issues with flashlighting and uneven lighting have the issue during regular viewing. For some of us, either the issue is no noticable during normal viewing or our eyes just don't notice it. For others, it's quite evident during all viewing and rather annoying.

In my case, if it was just during blank scenes, but not when actual content was on the display, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But the lighter spots are evident while viewing, even in non-black areas. I'm starting to notice that reds in the flashlight areas are a little lighter and washed out when compared to the rest of the screen.

Some say that the liquid crystal will settle and even out after a period of usage, so I'm crossing my fingers that this is the case and that my issue will resolve itself or become unnoticable. If not, I'll be swapping out my set for a replacement from best buy and crossing my fingers....again.
post #742 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 12:50 PM

Just for the record, I grabbed the firmware from the philips site listed as being from 5/8/2007. I installed it on my set, I haven't noticed any changes in the flashlighting (not that I expected firmware to do that, but a guy can dream). The version now on my set is 51.12 dated 22/05/2007 (weirdo europeans with their funky date).

So, for those interested, the version on the philips support site is not 39.11 but in fact 51.12, despite the fact that it's not labeled as such.
post #743 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

danmen: those of use reporting issues with flashlighting and uneven lighting have the issue during regular viewing. For some of us, either the issue is no noticable during normal viewing or our eyes just don't notice it. For others, it's quite evident during all viewing and rather annoying.

In my case, if it was just during blank scenes, but not when actual content was on the display, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But the lighter spots are evident while viewing, even in non-black areas. I'm starting to notice that reds in the flashlight areas are a little lighter and washed out when compared to the rest of the screen.

Some say that the liquid crystal will settle and even out after a period of usage, so I'm crossing my fingers that this is the case and that my issue will resolve itself or become unnoticable. If not, I'll be swapping out my set for a replacement from best buy and crossing my fingers....again.

Thanks for the info, just trying to learn and research... can someone with LCD knowledge verify what was said above, can the flashlighting "settle" or is that an urban legend? If it is bad on day 1 after calibration will it be the same in a month? a year?
post #744 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:

danmen:

I have the Philips 42PF7421D, when I turn on the TV I can see some light bleeding and some uneven black screen but as you say, after 1/2-1hour of usage both the light bleeding and the uneven blacks dissapear and the screen looks perfectly.
post #745 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabgon View Post

I have the Philips 42PF7421D, when I turn on the TV I can see some light bleeding and some uneven black screen but as you say, after 1/2-1hour of usage both the light bleeding and the uneven blacks dissapear and the screen looks perfectly.

Will it be possible for you to share some pictures (blank black screen) before and after the usage? This will be really helpful for all of us.
post #746 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 01:40 PM

I wish I could but I don't have a digital camera.
post #747 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabgon View Post

I believe this is more a case of your eyes adjusting and you becoming more aware of your content than the display. I was refering to a set period of time, perhaps best called a "break in period" where the crystal will settle a bit and even out. Perhaps within a few weeks of owning the set and normal usage. Just wanted to clear up what I meant.
post #748 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 02:49 PM

On Memorial day I purchased a Philips 42PFL7432D/37 42" LCD 1080P TV. I brought it home and unpacked it. It set up perfectly in under an hour. But failed in 4 hours. Was it a fluke? OK maybe it was, I returned it to Best Buy the next day and exchanged it for another one. I brought it home unpacked and set it up, 3 hours later it refused to turn on. I called Philips support at 9:00 pm and someone answered the phone and very courteously walked me through the troubleshooting steps, but alas it was no use. I returned unit #2 to Best Buy and picked up unit #3 thinking the first two were bad luck. Guess what? I unboxed #3 at 3pm, and it had failed by 7pm. Three in a row? Philips needs to try harder.

Observations:
TV(s) were carefully set up, it was my third LCD HDTV purchase.
Only power and Houston Time Warner cable TV were attached (cable from wall directly to TV.
It was the same power and cable, that faithfully connected my Trinitron for five years.
All three failed while powered down (off).
All three made a clicking noise, like a relay, about every two minutes while powered off, after failure.
None of the buttons on the TV or remote had any response.
Not even the menu could be reached, the screen was completely black after failure.
Failure #1 was diagnosed by the "Geek Squad" and found to be in the condition described above.
I had to make Four trips to Best Buy
While watching the TV after setting it up there were absolutely no problems, until I powered the unit down using the off button on the remote, and returning an hour later to turn it back on.
The units were unplugged, for a minute, 5 minutes, and overnight, in an attempt to resurrect the TV.
Unit #1 was built in April 2007, #2 and #3 were built in May 2007.

Kudos:
Best Buy cheerfully replaced the TV's and refunded my money without question.

Philips service was helpful, and courteous, and offered to send a repair team at their cost to my home to repair the problem. I felt it would be easier to return it, since there was not anyone home usually during the day to receive them.

The setup and operation of the set was superior while working. The picture was incredible, I loved the ambilight, and the auto picture resizing is positively the best I have ever seen (and I have seen a lot)... It had the best 480P analog cable picture I have ever seen. The replacement Samsung below is inferior, yet more expensive, and a current model.

I replaced it with a Samsung LNT4065F 40" 1080p LCD HDTV. No Problems. But I REALLY like the Philips better.

Can Philips stay in business with TV's that fail like that?

------------------ Edited 6/23/07 ----------------------------

Philips found and fixed the problem!

Anyway here is the update. I offered Philips the use of my home to test for a failure, and they took me up on it! Two fine gentlemen from Philips set up an appointment, and visited my house, with a TV, to see why they seemed to fail so frequently. This was not some hack repair service, but by all appearances factory trained and sponsored team with instructions to find out why the TV's had failed. I was impressed, and I do not praise easily.

Here are the results that I observed:

The set brought to my house failed almost immediately. In the exact manner that my previous sets failed.
The failure was software related. The current theory is that there are too many stations being auto tuned (close to 600). The Sammy that I now have also auto tunes the very same stations.
A software update fixed the problem.
The Philips employees were very knowledgable, courteous, and had a sincere desire to solve the problem.
The failure was caused by the cable company signal, although the exact reason has yet to be determined.

I have been purchasing electronics for a long time, and consider myself pretty well informed. Perhaps I do whine a little about things that i do not like, but I always try to represent the information fairly. The fact that Philips sent a team to my house to investigate the problem really impressed me. If this is the kind of response to problems that Philips normally makes, I will have to highly recommend the purchase of this set, and any Philips merchandise.
post #749 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post

On Memorial day I purchased a Philips 42PFL7432D/37 42" LCD 1080P TV. I brought it home and unpacked it. It set up perfectly in under an hour. But failed in 4 hours. Was it a fluke? OK maybe it was, I returned it to Best Buy the next day and exchanged it for another one. I brought it home unpacked and set it up, 3 hours later it refused to turn on. I called Philips support at 9:00 pm and someone answered the phone and very courteously walked me through the troubleshooting steps, but alas it was no use. I returned unit #2 to Best Buy and picked up unit #3 thinking the first two were bad luck. Guess what? I unboxed #3 at 3pm, and it had failed by 7pm. Three in a row? Philips needs to try harder.

Observations:
TV(s) were carefully set up, it was my third LCD HDTV purchase.
Only power and Houston Time Warner cable TV were attached (cable from wall directly to TV.
It was the same power and cable, that faithfully connected my Trinitron for five years.
All three failed while powered down (off).
All three made a clicking noise, like a relay, about every two minutes while powered off, after failure.
None of the buttons on the TV or remote had any response.
Not even the menu could be reached, the screen was completely black after failure.
Failure #1 was diagnosed by the "Geek Squad" and found to be in the condition described above.
I had to make Four trips to Best Buy
While watching the TV after setting it up there were absolutely no problems, until I powered the unit down using the off button on the remote, and returning an hour later to turn it back on.
The units were unplugged, for a minute, 5 minutes, and overnight, in an attempt to resurrect the TV.
Unit #1 was built in April 2007, #2 and #3 were built in May 2007.

Kudos:
Best Buy cheerfully replaced the TV's and refunded my money without question.

Philips service was helpful, and courteous, and offered to send a repair team at their cost to my home to repair the problem. I felt it would be easier to return it, since there was not anyone home usually during the day to receive them.

The setup and operation of the set was superior while working. The picture was incredible, I loved the ambilight, and the auto picture resizing is positively the best I have ever seen (and I have seen a lot)... It had the best 480P analog cable picture I have ever seen. The replacement Samsung below is inferior, yet more expensive, and a current model.

I replaced it with a Samsung LNT4065F 40" 1080p LCD HDTV. No Problems. But I REALLY like the Philips better.

Can Philips stay in business with TV's that fail like that?

What you described must have been a bad shipment or mishandling of the sets by BB. This is definitely not the norm as there are many users on this thread who haven't reported a similar problem. (I think there is only one other user who has reported this.) I think you are just extremely unlucky. If you decide to return the Sammy, I suggest never going back to that same store. Although many users post their issues with these sets on this website, I think you will be hard pressed to find many that have actually returned their sets. I think the majority of readers on this forum would have no problem returning this set if they thought that a different set exists with the same value as the Philips (quality for the price).
post #750 of 6891 Old 06-01-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:

What you described must have been a bad shipment or mishandling of the sets by BB. This is definitely not the norm as there are many users on this thread who haven't reported a similar problem. (I think there is only one other user who has reported this.) I think you are just extremely unlucky. If you decide to return the Sammy, I suggest never going back to that same store. Although many users post their issues with these sets on this website, I think you will be hard pressed to find many that have actually returned their sets. I think the majority of readers on this forum would have no problem returning this set if they thought that a different set exists with the same value as the Philips (quality for the price).

I agree! This is the only set that does what I want it to do, with the price I wanted to pay. Until stumbling upon this thread, I was about to spend more money on a westy....needless to say, I'm glad that I didn't.

My only qualm is the fact that I'm so anal and picky that I don't know if the minor flashlighting I have will bother me or not. If it does, I'll do a swap for a new set and roll the dice again.

Dollar for dollar, the philips can't be beat, especially when you consider we have the ear(eyes) of some of their employees on a daily basis.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Philips , Philips 42pfl7403d 27 42 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page