Philips 42" 1080p LCD TV (42PFL7432D/37) - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 6891 Old 06-03-2007, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Drove 45 mins to a BB that had the tv in stock to exchange the one I had that wouldnt power on. Picked up another one and came home... set it up and plugged it in. Check the attached picture to see what this one looks like. I had it in the backseat of my avalon all the way home, didn't drop it and the box even looks ok. When the tvs off there are no marks or scratches on that spot where it looks cracked. Is this bad shipping or what? I have no luck.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 6891 Old 06-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkeekles View Post

These settings are awesome! I tweaked them a little more for my preference. These are a great starting point. It has made the picture so much better, especially in HD Mode. I take back my perfect pixel setting comments, HD rocks with perfect pixel HD on.

No one has exactly the same tastes, but I've found these work just fine by me.

And I'm starting to realize that the forum is having an ill effect on my enjoyment of the set. I'm spending too much time looking for uneveness in the screen when I can barely see any flashlighting when using these settings. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I just have the hum when the thing is turned off...and as I've said before, with a set this good, it's a shame to have it off in the first place.

Bob
post #813 of 6891 Old 06-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtguy View Post

Drove 45 mins to a BB that had the tv in stock to exchange the one I had that wouldnt power on. Picked up another one and came home... set it up and plugged it in. Check the attached picture to see what this one looks like. I had it in the backseat of my avalon all the way home, didn't drop it and the box even looks ok. When the tvs off there are no marks or scratches on that spot where it looks cracked. Is this bad shipping or what? I have no luck.

Damn! What's in the right side of the screen? Is it black/broken? Or we are seeing the circuitry in the back? You can consider BB to deliver the TV for $50. The delivery unit of BB checks the TV first and then deliver it. They mostly check for the issues like you are having, not 4 stuck pixels like mine.
post #814 of 6891 Old 06-03-2007, 08:29 PM

The right side looks like the LCD is cracked somehow on the inside. the outer part of the screen has no cracks or scratches but as you can see from the pic when it's turned on it has a spiderweb looking crack on the right side and all I can get on the rest of the picture is those bars. Im just hoping they dont try to blame it on me and say I dropped it or something and not take it back.
post #815 of 6891 Old 06-03-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhemu View Post

I tried fitting my set and box into my mazda 3 again. No dice when it's outta the box and there's no way I'm going to try to put that rubics cube of a shipping package back together again. So, I have to wait till tomorrow when I can borrow a friends truck before I can pick up a replacement set. By midday, we'll see if I get another nonuniform set as far as lighting goes.

I just bought my daughter a 07' Mazda 3i for her high school graduation gift. I can not see this Philips TV fitting into the this car.

As for the "wennie remote", the remote reminds me of a cow's udder/nipple (not that I have been around farm animals. I leave that for the Sun Devil fans to enjoy).
post #816 of 6891 Old 06-03-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBN View Post

Well, I've been going over this TV with a fine tooth comb. I'm happy with it still, but there are some issues I am concerned with, and I only have one week to return it to Best Buy if I'm not happy.

I really want to keep this TV.

+Ambilight is awesome
+Great price
+Supports 1080p.24/30/60 via two component and three HDMI inputs
+Beautiful image with nice blacks for an LCD
+Great support and easy foolproof updates
+Option for unscaled ouput
+Each input/Analog/Digital signals have a good amount of separate remembered settings

Minor issues:
-High pitch hum when off (doesn't really bother me, but I wonder if Philips can really do anything about it)
-Clouding, pillars, and flashlights (My set seems to be getting worse, but my friend's is nearly perfect, so I would exchange it for a new set until I was happy)
-Stuck/dead pixels (I only have a few, and out of 2 million plus that's great. I don't notice it from a distance, so it's not any concern of mine)
-Interface/navigation is just a tad clunky and slow (pretty good overall, but could use some work)

Major issues:
-I've confirmed that the image processor is bleeding the signal. Reds smear to the right a few pixels, and possibly other colors. I do not know if this can be fixed via firmware. It really detracts when using a PC in 1080p. It should look crisp, but it doesn't.

Still this being my first TV and putting down a large amount of money, even knowing no TV is perfect, I want them to be as perfect as possible baring limitations of the technology.

I'm the friend he's referring to. I LOVE the TV so far, but my biggest gripe is the bleeding of RED. Reds are so horrid to look at. I use the TV as my PC's monitor, and some other web forum that I visit, has red text for the forum categories, topics, etc. They're extremely blurred (bleeding) and it's just an eye sore. I'm hoping too that it's something that can be updated via firmware, but I don't want to take my chances of getting another bad TV that bleeds and has other things wrong with it, when this one is pretty darn good to begin with.
post #817 of 6891 Old 06-03-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west43rd View Post

And I'm starting to realize that the forum is having an ill effect on my enjoyment of the set. I'm spending too much time looking for uneveness in the screen when I can barely see any flashlighting when using these settings. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Bob

This is very interesting! Enjoy your set and quit looking for imperfections.

This thread has enlighten me about this HD TV and raised concerns as well. The Samsung threads had me bailing out on what I believed was going to be my selection (4061F). Next the LG 42LC7D I had to get info about this set at the CC website with customer reviews there (no major complaints). Issue are with all brands of HD TVs. To spend 2K plus for a TV with issues (Sony XBR, Samsung 4065F and 4066F) it would drive me crazy, but in the price range of $1600 I would be a bit more tollerant of minor issues (like that chessy remote).

I look forward to receiving my set and spending less time here (not that I am disliking my stay here, but the complaints........ ). I did the same research on forums like this before buying a hot tub for my backyard. Once I made my selection, I faded away from the forums and the complainers there.
post #818 of 6891 Old 06-03-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west43rd View Post

No one has exactly the same tastes, but I've found these work just fine by me.

And I'm starting to realize that the forum is having an ill effect on my enjoyment of the set. I'm spending too much time looking for uneveness in the screen when I can barely see any flashlighting when using these settings. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I just have the hum when the thing is turned off...and as I've said before, with a set this good, it's a shame to have it off in the first place.

Bob

Funny you mentioned the forum issues keeping you from enjoying the set. My wife accused me of it a week ago and I have decided to input what I believe are the positives on this set and not nitpick looking for problems I may never had noticed in the first place. I realize some of the users on here are having problems but like I had read elsewhere,most user's do not input positive remarks. I love being more educated but I am no longer going to rip a tv out of the box and look for the problems I might never see or hear.

If you think you have problems with Philips go read the thousands of messages in 3 separate Samsung forums on HDMI flashs,lockups and drops! I had 1 of those 4061F's!
post #819 of 6891 Old 06-03-2007, 09:49 PM

I don't know if anyone noticed, but right now the philips support site lists a new firmware being released on 5/30/07. This is weird as all weekend it has shown the latest firmware to be 5/8/07, quick refresh tonight, all new.

Anyone tried it? daveinga or philips tv, can we get some info on this new release?
post #820 of 6891 Old 06-03-2007, 10:20 PM

This TV sounds like it may finally be the end of my search for a LCD to replace my defective-by-design Samsung TX-P3071WH. I've been very impressed by DaveInGA and Philip's quick response to issues brought up, which is a huge difference compared to Samsung.

My questions:
1. How well does the QAM tuner work? This is the main reason I'm replacing my Samsung, as the model was sold with a defective QAM tuner (which Samsung now claims isn't in the TV, despite my box and manual... )

2. Does the TV pass all audio signals out through the coax digital out, including L/R audio when using a component source, and does it properly output DD5.1 from an appropriate QAM source?

Thanks!
post #821 of 6891 Old 06-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't know if anyone noticed, but right now the philips support site lists a new firmware being released on 5/30/07. This is weird as all weekend it has shown the latest firmware to be 5/8/07, quick refresh tonight, all new.

Anyone tried it? daveinga or philips tv, can we get some info on this new release?

C:\\>cksum autorun.upg.1 (daveinga's version)
3336030603 17642924 autorun.upg.1

C:\\>cksum autorun.upg.2 (downloaded from web just now)
3336030603 17642924 autorun.upg.2

The posted (5/30/2007) one is exactly same as daveinga's version.
post #822 of 6891 Old 06-03-2007, 10:41 PM

Mike,

I was watching Nascar in HD last week and it properly put out 5.1 Dolby Digital via the Coax.
post #823 of 6891 Old 06-03-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:

The version now on my set is 51.12 dated 22/05/2007 (weirdo europeans with their funky date).

What do you find "weirdo" about a date sequence listed as "day-month-year"?

To me it sure is a more logical sequence than "month-day-year", which is standard US.
post #824 of 6891 Old 06-03-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNY View Post

2. Does the TV pass all audio signals out through the coax digital out, including L/R audio when using a component source, and does it properly output DD5.1 from an appropriate QAM source?

Thanks!

It does. My receiver recognizes DD 5.1 audio input from the TV via the audio coax, shows it on its display, and sounds like one.

The problem is that the audio keeps getting lost every 20-30 seconds. It only happens on free HD digital QAM channels I am getting from Comcast with my standard analog package without any cable box. The analog channels don't drop the audio, L/R stereo audio goes out with the digital audio coax just fine.

Hope daveinga and PhilipsTV will be able to help with the issue.

By the way, when I press the Info button on my remote while watching an HD channel (like FOX HD on the 122.2 channel) the TV says it's an ATSC channel not a QAM one.
post #825 of 6891 Old 06-03-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips TV View Post

My only comment is that all of the features people are excited about with HDMI1.3 are optional features, and are expensive for manufacturers to activate...

Will the more expensive "9-series" Philips sets, such as the 120 Hz 47PFL9732D due out late summer, have HDMI version 1.2a, 1.3 or 1.3a?
post #826 of 6891 Old 06-03-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vowani View Post

Will the more expensive "9-series" Philips sets, such as the 120 Hz 47PFL9732D due out late summer, have HDMI version 1.2a, 1.3 or 1.3a?

asked

Quote:

No, HDMI on the 9732 series is also 1.2a

and answered.
post #827 of 6891 Old 06-04-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinga View Post

As long as you have the 39.11 on it right now dont worry about upgrading unless you need to. The SW posted on the Philips support site is outdated, but if you run into any problems let me know and I can send you an approved but un-posted version. But check to see if you have any issues on the 39.11 first. Always nice to know what the upgrades are fixing.

David

Question for our two wonderful Philips reps in this forum:
are the firmware updates that are posted by your team also valid for European units of these sets, or only for American ones?

If they are only for US, how do you guys synchronize European and US versions? Are you in constant contact with your worldwide colleagues, so that you can share information about bugs you found and were able to solve?
post #828 of 6891 Old 06-04-2007, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAiLs00 View Post

I'm the friend he's referring to. I LOVE the TV so far, but my biggest gripe is the bleeding of RED. Reds are so horrid to look at. I use the TV as my PC's monitor, and some other web forum that I visit, has red text for the forum categories, topics, etc. They're extremely blurred (bleeding) and it's just an eye sore. I'm hoping too that it's something that can be updated via firmware, but I don't want to take my chances of getting another bad TV that bleeds and has other things wrong with it, when this one is pretty darn good to begin with.

The reds were hot initially, but the settings I posted have fixed it. I hate to keep harping on these like they solve all problems, but for me they work beautifully.

Bob
post #829 of 6891 Old 06-04-2007, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis View Post

By the way, when I press the Info button on my remote while watching an HD channel (like FOX HD on the 122.2 channel) the TV says it's an ATSC channel not a QAM one.

Same. I was wondering about that.

Bob
post #830 of 6891 Old 06-04-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsohne View Post

It just says guide to assembly at the top for Stand Assy 37-42 ME7/BK. That is all I have for you but if you want I can scan and send to you. I agree with you on this panel and it is the first in nine sets that I felt was worth the trouble. I only brought up this instructions sheet thinking maybe part of the clouding issue(which I don't have)was caused by lifting the TV improperly. Who knows?

Are you pulling my leg? Found the stand instructions that you were referencing. Step 7 does show a picture of "clouds" on the screen, but that is not meant to indicate that you can damage the TV screen by swiveling the stand.

We are reviewing why that piece of paper is in the box though, it wasn't approved by the art department, and the stand assembly instructions are in the Quick Start Guide as well. Thanks for pointing this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc9789 View Post

I really do like this set so far. But would like to request for two changes in future upgrades.
1. To me, the TV channel number on the upper left corner when changing channels is a
bit small from 10-12' away. It'll be nice to increase the font and change the blue color.
The blue color is hard to see as well.
2. Issue with "lost channel".
for instance, If I'm on Ch-8, then tuned to my DVR; power off TV. Power back on and go
back to TV input, the set will be on Ch-3, not Ch-8. I hope this can be corrected.

Thank you and Best Regards.

Definitely appreciate suggestion number 1. I can't guarantee anything though, SW releases are going to be mostly focused on HDMI and any technical problems experienced by users.

For problem 2, we are taking a look at what might be causing this.

Quote:

Philips TV or daveinga: Will entering the service menu void our warranty?

Technically yes. As a Philips rep I can't say anything different than the warning screen that pops up on the screen when you try to enter the service menu.

As a side note though, there are not any additional features that can be turned on in the service mode, as had been see in some previous models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss_iss View Post

- Automatic - Resize the image on HDMI 2 or HDMI 3 does not work. This includes the DVD player (an anamorphic DVD is shown on half of the screen in the middle and not enlarged to a full screen). I have to mention that the older model has the Automatic settings working correctly - slightly expanding up/down portion of the image to a full (or almost) screen depending on the image ratio. This issue also includes the Media Center and this is really unwatchable because, besides not enlarging the SD (4:3) left/right to a full screen, in case a SD is presented with black bands up and down, the image will be about one third of the screen in the middle. The old model pulls the image up/down and left/right until the image fills the screen in the Automatic mode.

I just need to confirm. DVD player is set to 16:9 in the setup menu? DVD is widescreen (not widescreen 4:3)? Same DVD worked with the 9441's automatic mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss_iss View Post

Sound Issue. This one is an even bigger problem. It appears that all works fine as long as there is more than one HDMI source connected. Once I turn off the HDMI 2 or 3 sources, the sound on HDMI 1 disappears. The only way to get the sound back is to turn on the DVD player in HDMI 2 and then change to HDMI 1 and it will work.

Does this happen only when you've had HDMI 2 & 3 devices on and then turn them off? Basically, if you only have the HDMI 1 device on, and turn on the TV, do you get sound?, or not until you turn on HDMI 2 & 3 devices?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikoo View Post

Daveinga/Philips TV: Should I give a call to Philips service? Do you think the service guy will be able to do anything with this set?

pikoo, you are more than welcome to call Philips service, I don't know if they are going to be able to fix this, as it is typically related directly to the panel.

Wondering if you can try 1 thing. If you push on the plastic frame around the screen, does the "clouding" change? just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzWildcat View Post

This is very interesting. Here in Tucson the two BB locations have both the 42PLF7432D with the same frozen picture on them. Both have a game type map with a tan and brown images. The other sets on the wall were playing fine.

We saw this the first day we had our sets at BB. It is related to the content stream running in those BB stores. We made BB aware of the issue and they apparently had problems with other manufacturers (don't know who), and released a new stream that was fixed.(must not be running in your store)

It was related to a change in the formatting of the content stream (not a real world situation). SW versions 39.11 and later have a fix for it, eventhough you shouldn't encounter it in real world situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikoo View Post

When the TV was powered off yesterday night, I was hearing the 'clicking noise' every 4-5mins. I thought that's it - may be in the morning - it will refuse to turn on. (I am using a power line conditioner) But, in the morning, it powered on and worked. But, don't know how long. This is really frustrating experience.

pikoo, this is most likely the set turning on the signal board to update the channel map. The TV will turn on the board every so often (I don't know exactly how often) to scan for new channels.

Quote:

Major issues:
-I've confirmed that the image processor is bleeding the signal. Reds smear to the right a few pixels, and possibly other colors. I do not know if this can be fixed via firmware. It really detracts when using a PC in 1080p. It should look crisp, but it doesn't.

Is this only on your PC source? Have you noticed this on other connections? What are your PC card settings and driver information?

We have not seen this issue.

I see pikoo's comments too, and I will try to get a PC hooked up to one in the office today and take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtguy View Post

Looks like it got dropped on its face somewhere along the way. See if BB will let you plug in the set to make sure it isn't cracked before you go home. You should be able to just slide off the top of the box and leave the TV in the bottom tray and plug it in to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vowani View Post

Question for our two wonderful Philips reps in this forum:
are the firmware updates that are posted by your team also valid for European units of these sets, or only for American ones?

If they are only for US, how do you guys synchronize European and US versions? Are you in constant contact with your worldwide colleagues, so that you can share information about bugs you found and were able to solve?

The firmware update from Daveinga is only for US versions. The philips website will have updates for European TVs as well. US TVs are designated by the /37 at the end of the model number. European TVs will have a different number like /12. The SW basically has a header that the TV reads. the TV will only load SW that is meant for it.

Daveinga and I are in contact with our colleagues overseas, and we alert them to technical problems and issues.

I will check with Daveinga on the whine issue today, and see if there are any updates.
post #831 of 6891 Old 06-04-2007, 07:40 AM

I've had the tv for a week, and am happy with everything except the remote. When I power on the tv, I'm unable to adjust input, volume, or anything else for a minute and a half minimum. This can be a problem if the volume is too loud. I think in the quick setup guide it states that the remote may take awhile to talk to the tv, but I thought that was just for the initial setup. Does anyone else have this issue?
post #832 of 6891 Old 06-04-2007, 08:09 AM

PhilipsTV,

eVGA nVidia 7800GT 256MB
ForceWare 93.71
DVI cable output with a DVI-F to HDMI-M connector at the end from Monoprice @ 1080p60
DVI out from my PC works fine to my Samsung SyncMaster 204T with no problems.

My friend has a 7900GT in a Dell laptop with a DVI to HDMI cable from Monoprice, and had a similar result. Could possibly be their cables...

I put some high quality JPEGs I made on a thumb drive and the red also bled. The edges of the JPEG were red, so it was not bleeding from JPEG compression. But perhaps it was the TV scaling it. Yet it only bled to the right.

pikoo said he saw this issue too.

I've only noticed it on uncompressed static sources.

I gave a call to a Philips repair dealer in town and got the run around, always being told me it was incompatibility with my devices and the TV was fine.

Back to testing things out more for you. I'd feel really bad sending you on a wild goose chase. We all really appreciate your time.

And to DMG666, yes I've noticed that happening sometimes, but not everytime. Dunno why. It shows the LED flicker, but the TV doesn't respond. It just locks up occasionally for a brief time.
post #833 of 6891 Old 06-04-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:

I just need to confirm. DVD player is set to 16:9 in the setup menu? DVD is widescreen (not widescreen 4:3)? Same DVD worked with the 9441's automatic mode?

Does this happen only when you've had HDMI 2 & 3 devices on and then turn them off? Basically, if you only have the HDMI 1 device on, and turn on the TV, do you get sound?, or not until you turn on HDMI 2 & 3 devices?

I did some more tests over the week-end and can narrow down the issues I found.

I can reproduce the sound issue easily. When I have only one HDMI device (Dish Network HD ViP622 receiver) connected (the other HDMI devices are turned off) there is no sound if I turn the TV on. If I press the Info button on the remote, the Sound info entry on the screen is empty. To get the sound back, I have to turn on another HDMI device (DVD player or computer) and change the channel to HDMI 1 and the sound will come back. When I press the Info button I get: Sound - Dolby 3/2. I cannot get sound if I turn on a device connected to AV1,2,3. It has to be an HDMI device on HDMI 2 or HDMI3 to get sound on HDMI 1.

---Does this happen only when you've had HDMI 2 & 3 devices on and then turn them off?---- If I have them on and turn them off then I change the channel from HDMI 1 and back, I lose the sound.

---Basically, if you only have the HDMI 1 device on, and turn on the TV, do you get sound?, or not until you turn on HDMI 2 & 3 devices? ---- If I have the HDMI 1 device on and turn the TV on, I won't get sound until I turn another HDMI device on and change channel back to HDMI 1.

--------------

On the older TV model regardless how the DVD was set (16:9 or 4:3) the TV would adjust the screen automatically. Now that appears not to be working anymore but the image improves if I set the DVD player to 16:9 so I won't call this an issue anymore.
Same DVD worked with the 9441's automatic mode? - Yes, that was what confused me at first but after changing the DVD player's settings to 16:9 it appears to be working fine.

-------------

The other issue was with filling the screen when using the Media Center. I found that the Automatic settings work when the computer resolution is set to 720p but will not work when setting it to 1080p.

-------------

The last problem was with the Centering the image with the remote and that is still an issue as per my previous post (arrows on remote will only work to adjust the image left/right but not up/down and arrows won't work at all if the TV is set to Automatic)

Thanks,
IIS
post #834 of 6891 Old 06-04-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:

PhilipsTV,

I put some high quality JPEGs I made on a thumb drive and the red also bled. The edges of the JPEG were red, so it was not bleeding from JPEG compression. But perhaps it was the TV scaling it. Yet it only bled to the right.

pikoo said he saw this issue too.

I've only noticed it on uncompressed static sources.

I gave a call to a Philips repair dealer in town and got the run around, always being told me it was incompatibility with my devices and the TV was fine.

Back to testing things out more for you. I'd feel really bad sending you on a wild goose chase. We all really appreciate your time.

I too have noticed bleeding with text or even sharp lines of contrast, for example on cartoons (simpsons-black pupils in white eyes). I posted about it a while back when I first got the TV and no one really commented. For me, I see bleeding with most colors not just red, but mostly with high contrast, for example white lettering on a black backround or white lettering on a bright red backround. For me I only see the issue on my cable, connected with component. Have a SA8300 HD DVR. I see this with both HD and SD sources. And just like some other people have mentioned, it is only bleeding to the right. Everything looks like it has a shadow to the right side.
For me, though, when I put on the XBOX360 at 1080p (component) and High Res mode I get really sharp text with no bleed at all. I thought it was something with my cable, but now that people are starting to see teh same thing with 1080 computer sources as well I am starting to wonder.
post #835 of 6891 Old 06-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

pikoo, this is most likely the set turning on the signal board to update the channel map. The TV will turn on the board every so often (I don't know exactly how often) to scan for new channels.

Thanks a lot again for all the answers. Your and daveinga's presence in this forum really gives us lots of confidence.

The comcast cable is connected using component and dish network is connected using s-video connectors. I am not using the tuner. The tuner is not connected to TV. Then, should it try to update the channel map even when the tuner is not connected? May be a possible upcoming f/w fix.
post #836 of 6891 Old 06-04-2007, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Well I thought the flashlight in the corner wouldn't bother me but I keep going back to it each time when I am watching tv. I think I will do one more swap and hope for the best. It's weird but the first one I got in early May didn't have any flashlights or clouding at all (just had a few other problems). Most people that reported then didn't either. It seems like the sets purchased in the last few weeks have had quite a few issues screen wise. I admit that flashlights are hard for me to deal with even if the set is a good deal. So hopefully everything will work out when I exchange it later this week. I really love the set but clouding/flashlights on a screen really become an eye sore for me when watching or playing a game.
post #837 of 6891 Old 06-04-2007, 11:13 AM

I'm glad Philips is looking into the color bleeding problem! Any red on the spectrum is just disgusting to look at. And after having local repair guys give the run around saying "It's your cables" and "Your TV is fine," is just bogus. I'm happy that Philips is man enough to investigate the problem!

My TV being only a little over a week old and having a big problem as such, kind of sucks!

Now I can't wait to hear the results.
post #838 of 6891 Old 06-04-2007, 11:15 AM

Ok, after some tweaking of the set to get it where I want colorwise and contrast/lighting wise, and after further inspection, the flashlighting on this set is almost the exact same as my first set (only I haven't "moved" the flashlighting yet). Top left which runs a bit down to the bottom slightly, a little at the bottom center, and a little at the top right. It's almost like a horse shoe. I'm thinking, since this is almost the same make up as my first, and from the same bestbuy, perhaps it's from the same shipment.

daveinga, if you want the serial number from this one, let me know.

YOTR: I'm of the same mind as you, too much of my viewing is dvds with tons of dark scenes. If this issue can't be fixed, it's not looking too good. Maybe daveinga or Philips TV will send those of us with flashlighting some new sets personally inspected in return for ours for testing and QA purposes
post #839 of 6891 Old 06-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If this issue can't be fixed, it's not looking too good. Maybe daveinga or Philips TV will send those of us with flashlighting some new sets personally inspected in return for ours for testing and QA purposes

Count me in on this list - pl. It is not fun watching dark scenes in this TV. Discovery HD Theater's "Planet Earth" ad is very good example of black/dark screen. If you have non-uniform backlight, you can not ignore it.
post #840 of 6891 Old 06-04-2007, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Ok, after some tweaking of the set to get it where I want colorwise and contrast/lighting wise, and after further inspection, the flashlighting on this set is almost the exact same as my first set (only I haven't "moved" the flashlighting yet). Top left which runs a bit down to the bottom slightly, a little at the bottom center, and a little at the top right. It's almost like a horse shoe. I'm thinking, since this is almost the same make up as my first, and from the same bestbuy, perhaps it's from the same shipment.

daveinga, if you want the serial number from this one, let me know.

YOTR: I'm of the same mind as you, too much of my viewing is dvds with tons of dark scenes. If this issue can't be fixed, it's not looking too good. Maybe daveinga or Philips TV will send those of us with flashlighting some new sets personally inspected in return for ours for testing and QA purposes

LOL! If they want to do that, I would definitlely volunteer . The settings have definitely masked the flashlight but it is something I notice. Even my wife noticed it which is saying something. She is tired of my tv drama though . Well I guess I will go back to BB in the middle of the week and see what happens. I think I will just remove the top box and plug it in before I even unpack it from the base. At least that way if it does have flashlights again, it is easy to pack up. I REALLY want to keep this set though because despite the flashlight issue, it has been the best performing LCD I have owned in 2 years.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Philips , Philips 42pfl7403d 27 42 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page