Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 6891 Old 06-05-2007, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by west43rd View Post

Just thought of something. Isn't HDMI 1 the port that also has the rca audio in connections? Maybe the port just isn't set up correctly to handle the audio stream from HDMI?

Not sure what to do with this thought, but worth checking out.

Bob

This is correct, and -according to the manual- the audio L/R can be used for HDMI 1 or 2. It doesn't appear to influence the sound though. It is more a HDMI general issue, than just one port issue.

The problem is that even if I connect the DN HD receiver to HDMI 3 I will get no sound if other devices in HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 are turned off.

The interesting thing is that if only one device is connected to HDMI 1 or 2 or 3 the sound will work with no problem. The moment I connect another device in HDMI 2 or 3 (and the device is turned off) and change the channel from HDMI 1 and back, the sound is gone. If I connect the device to HDMI 2 or 3 the result is the same.

DaveInGa and PhilipsTV, any idea?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 6891 Old 06-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Can anybody volunteer to summarize the questions/problems/comments/suggestions for Philips TV/daveinga and keep it dynamic? May be like a FAQ and/or sticky thread. I am not sure how to create a sticky thread/FAQ. It will be very helpful for everybody in this forum. That way questions/problems/comments will not disappear from people's mind.
post #903 of 6891 Old 06-05-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyca View Post

people need to start posting pictures of this flashlighting/clouding they are seeing (with actual programming displayed) - I am just not seeing it.

I've also watched a DVD of a movie in black and white - scaled up to 720p, coming in on HDMI - it looked great.

People have posted pictures, look earlier in the thread. Here are mine:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10673246

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10685843
post #904 of 6891 Old 06-05-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Well I returned the tv tonight to best buy. Funny thing is they remembered me . I showed the manager the flashlight. He stated he had received two other sets in the last week complaining of an uneven background/light leakage similar to mine but a lot worse. So I decided to just get my money back and head back home to an empty armoire . I guess I will wait a little while and see if their new stock (scheduled to arrive next week) has the same issues.

As you have seen from my previous posts, I've been torn on the issue of keeping the tv or just returning it and trying another brand. Well, today I returned my philips set and was planning on returning the set to get a sammy if this one had flashlighting like my previous two sets. Well, I'm glad I decided to give it one more go around cause this set has NO flashlighting.

I took some extra steps, which may or may not have affected my sets flashlighting. I used a different car to transport it, so it had to be laid on it's front or back. I chose to set it on it's back with the front of the panel facing up. Also, while setting it up, I did not set the tv on it's front, as the instructions say to, I instead set the stand up and then while vertical I placed it on the stand and secured it.

I also went to a different BB hoping that they received a different shipment. This BB gave me the 5th degree on what I did to the set to cause problems, blah blah blah, but finally they relented (after the manager suggested I plop down close to three grand on a top of the line set from a different manufacturer) and gave me a new set.

When I setup the set, I skipped all the automatic setup, leaving the factory defaults of super bright, super contrast settings, and put up an all black image. No flashlighting/clouding (or if it's there, it's the entire screen, either way I can't see any differences).

On top of all this, I kept my fingers crossed the whole time.

Long post short, I am now happy (fingers scrossed stills) and barring any other issues, I will be keeping the 7432.

On a side note, this unit shipped with 39.9 firmware, but there are no issues with component inputs. Go figure.

Hold out hope YOTR, I did and it paid off!
post #905 of 6891 Old 06-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, I just watched The Matrix, which has plenty of black in it. And I'm convinced that I don't have the issues that everyone is talking about. There is minor flashlighting in the corners, but I don't see any of it when I'm watching content. And the example of the Planet Earth promo really brings it home for me, because this looks so stunningly beautiful that I am in awe. Reds are not a problem, but admittedly I have not plugged in a PC yet. Having said that, though, this TV is not optimized for a PC. You have to use a DVI to HDMI converter, so I'm not expecting much.

Not denying the problems of others. Just admitting that my earlier comments regarding my own issues are probably overstated and wanted to be clear now. My only issues are the high-pitched noise when off and some source switching problems that seem to be related to the software.

Bob
post #906 of 6891 Old 06-05-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba676 View Post

Just a thought:

Did you try switching ClearType off? It does some very odd things to text if its assumptions about the pixel properties (relative position and size of colors on LCD matrix) are not right.

Microsoft has a tuner program: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...ner/Step1.aspx

It you run it it shows some examples about how it will look like if it is set up wrong. It is particularly noticable with a colored text.

Could you post how your fonts look llike with antialiasing and ClearType off?

Good thought. I totally forgot about ClearType. However, after turning off forced FSAA (was only on 2x) and playing around with ClearType settings (on and off, and tuned) it looked even worse with ClearType on. ClearType made the whites a little easier to read because it put a backdrop behind the text, but otherwise it made everything harder to read.

I forgot to add, my notebooks 17" UXGA w/ TrueLife LCD is perfect with colors. No bleeding like I see on the TV.
post #907 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 12:27 AM

ok after reading almost a book of posts on here about this tv , my whining noise seems to be the only thing . just sometimes the screen will go black then come on after 3 secs or so donno if thats my xbox 360 or the tv itself ... one thing is , i love this tv i see no flashing no destorting in picture ... i don't watch tv so i can't really tell on that part of the test

heres some thoughts .. Philips , when u do a firmware upgrade just think about including something bout this update ... how in the hell are u supposed to just update if not knowing what they tried to fix in the first place ? its no secret , hell if it is ... must be the holy grail in there or something ...
post #908 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhemu View Post

As you have seen from my previous posts, I've been torn on the issue of keeping the tv or just returning it and trying another brand. Well, today I returned my philips set and was planning on returning the set to get a sammy if this one had flashlighting like my previous two sets. Well, I'm glad I decided to give it one more go around cause this set has NO flashlighting.

I took some extra steps, which may or may not have affected my sets flashlighting. I used a different car to transport it, so it had to be laid on it's front or back. I chose to set it on it's back with the front of the panel facing up. Also, while setting it up, I did not set the tv on it's front, as the instructions say to, I instead set the stand up and then while vertical I placed it on the stand and secured it.

I also went to a different BB hoping that they received a different shipment. This BB gave me the 5th degree on what I did to the set to cause problems, blah blah blah, but finally they relented (after the manager suggested I plop down close to three grand on a top of the line set from a different manufacturer) and gave me a new set.

When I setup the set, I skipped all the automatic setup, leaving the factory defaults of super bright, super contrast settings, and put up an all black image. No flashlighting/clouding (or if it's there, it's the entire screen, either way I can't see any differences).

On top of all this, I kept my fingers crossed the whole time.

Long post short, I am now happy (fingers scrossed stills) and barring any other issues, I will be keeping the 7432.

On a side note, this unit shipped with 39.9 firmware, but there are no issues with component inputs. Go figure.

Hold out hope YOTR, I did and it paid off!

BB also gave me some grief at first but noticed the issue once they plugged it in. I might buy another one but it will definitely be at a different best buy. I am just so tired of returning tv's (so is my wife ). I might go this weekend and try again because there really isn't another brand I want. I could go back to the 40V2500 by Sony which is about the same price now with a discount I can get. Chances are though it will have clouds like my last one. I have also started looking at the Panasonic 42PX75u plasma. My friend has it and games look amazing on it. I worry about burn in but I haven't had that issue on our 37" plasma in the bedroom. I am just torn on what to do.
post #909 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Okay, I just watched The Matrix, which has plenty of black in it. And I'm convinced that I don't have the issues that everyone is talking about. There is minor flashlighting in the corners, but I don't see any of it when I'm watching content. And the example of the Planet Earth promo really brings it home for me, because this looks so stunningly beautiful that I am in awe. Reds are not a problem, but admittedly I have not plugged in a PC yet. Having said that, though, this TV is not optimized for a PC. You have to use a DVI to HDMI converter, so I'm not expecting much.

Not denying the problems of others. Just admitting that my earlier comments regarding my own issues are probably overstated and wanted to be clear now. My only issues are the high-pitched noise when off and some source switching problems that seem to be related to the software.

Bob

To be honest, most people are reporting flashlights on the 7432, not clouding. I have seen a set with it but clouding definitely isn't as common as flashlights are on this set. Flashlights are just as annoying though
post #910 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Not having this issue, although the volume indicator does not come up to let me know volume is being adjusted until the channel info goes away. Still, I do hear the volume going down anyway. Not sure about your specific issue.

Bob

I find this annoying, not a big deal. But I really can't stand how when you change channels, that it doesn't show the channel number until AFTER it tunes in and locks on. I have several complaints about the theme of the menu as well. But the channel thing is really the one that bugs me the most.

Does anyone know off the top of their head if Philips has a non-ambient light Plasma?

I did a watt test on my 42" Philips. Basically as I expected, there really isn't much change in power usage other than the backlight. Basicly 245-255 watts with backlight at 100% and 160-175w with the backlight at 50%, light sensor off, and dynamic contrast off. And less than 1 watt when turned off.
post #911 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

I find this annoying, not a big deal. But I really can't stand how when you change channels, that it doesn't show the channel number until AFTER it tunes in and locks on. I have several complaints about the theme of the menu as well. But the channel thing is really the one that bugs me the most.

Does anyone know off the top of their head if Philips has a non-ambient light Plasma?

I did a watt test on my 42" Philips. Basically as I expected, there really isn't much change in power usage other than the backlight. Basicly 245-255 watts with backlight at 100% and 160-175w with the backlight at 50%, light sensor off, and dynamic contrast off. And less than 1 watt when turned off.

42PFP5332D/37
50PFP5332D/37

I know they are available at walmart and sam's... not sure where else though
post #912 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

How did you adjust the backlight? Do you mean brightness? I wish I could adjust the backlight separately because I believe I could get a better resulting picture than only having contrast and brightness adjustments.
post #913 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Dave,

What do you know about this $500 in HDTV savings offer when buying a new razor from Philips? Are we eligible or is this only TV's purchased after purchasing the razor? I wouldn't mind spending $100 on a new razor if you all were going to send me $500 back. Seems like a no brainer.

Bob
post #914 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:

Dave,

What do you know about this $500 in HDTV savings offer when buying a new razor from Philips? Are we eligible or is this only TV's purchased after purchasing the razor? I wouldn't mind spending $100 on a new razor if you all were going to send me $500 back. Seems like a no brainer.

Bob

yeah, i saw this too on amazon. however, i do notice it says "up to $500" not $500 straight up. anymore info on this would be appreciated.

Xbox Live: ChestR0ckWell23 (that's a zero after the R)
PSN: VeeArSix
post #915 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 09:13 AM

Sign me up for a Philips Razor if that's the case
post #916 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 AM

Any detailed information about the coupon? For example, how much you have to spend on razor to get the $500 coupon?
post #917 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Dave,

Bob

Do you have a link pl.?
post #918 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAiLs00 View Post

Good thought. I totally forgot about ClearType. However, after turning off forced FSAA (was only on 2x) and playing around with ClearType settings (on and off, and tuned) it looked even worse with ClearType on. ClearType made the whites a little easier to read because it put a backdrop behind the text, but otherwise it made everything harder to read.

I forgot to add, my notebooks 17" UXGA w/ TrueLife LCD is perfect with colors. No bleeding like I see on the TV.

I was thinking that ClearType makes it harder to read if it does this subpixel thingy with incorrect assumptions about realtive position of individual color pixels. Most notebooks LCDs are using the same arrangements.

It is kind of odd if the set has an undefitable AA processing on such content. I remember a fiasco with Dell monitors when they had some clever movie-mode processing purmanently ON, resulting in bad color banding on regular usage. They had to issue a firmware upgrade.

Given that we know that Philips engineers like to make such decisions for us - the example with labeling a port in a particular way turning the soft mode on that was on this thread - I would not be surprised that something similar happens here. They somehow figure out that you want everything antialiased or what not.
post #919 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Here is the offer page for the razor offer:

http://www.fathersday.philips.com/

I can't find details on this offer anywhere. They are making you buy the razor before they disclose what your actual discount (if any) will be. Not liking that, which is why I pose the question to Dave.

Bob
post #920 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 10:52 AM

Does anybody know if Phillips makes a 42" 720p tv with ambilight? I have seen the 720p 42" at BB, but with no ambilight. I am just not so sure I can tell enough of a difference in 1080p content and 720p content to warrant the need considering my viewing distance is about 9 or 10 feet. But I do like the ambilight. Thanks
post #921 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyca View Post

the set runs auto channel scans on its own, while turned off? most of the cable companies are only delivering the legally required minimum set of properly encoded QAM channels anyway, so it can't be finding much.

Cable Companies often move around QAM channels. This will probably also happen more often as more channels go HD.

Last week Comcast in Atlanta moved NBCHD from 108.30 to 11.1
post #922 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 11:02 AM

I took a picture of my screen in the dark, and it appears to have some flashlighting, but it is unnoticeable. I have no dead/stuck pixels, and this is the only set i have had, no returns. Ans no audio cutout problems, and no problems using it as a computer monitor I do have the whine when the tv is off, but it again is only noticeable when you have your head behind the tv. I guess i should count myself lucky... there are some good sets out there, perhaps those of you having problems will get a good one when you go to BB to get an exchange... this phillips model really is a good buy, i'm glad i stumbled upon it at BB

steven
post #923 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Dave,

Bob

Sorry but I have no idea about that promotion... I am sure you guys know more than I do about this...
post #924 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 11:32 AM

daveinga or PhilipsTV

Couple questions that have gone unanswered:

1. Any solution to the issue of not being able to move the screen up or down via HDMI inputs?

2. What is Philips corporate position on stuck or dead pixels?

3. Can you post firmware release notes here if they can't be posted on your website (i.e., what each release is designed to fix)?

Thanks
post #925 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyfeet2 View Post

Does anybody know if Phillips makes a 42" 720p tv with ambilight? I have seen the 720p 42" at BB, but with no ambilight. I am just not so sure I can tell enough of a difference in 1080p content and 720p content to warrant the need considering my viewing distance is about 9 or 10 feet. But I do like the ambilight. Thanks

42PFL7332D/37...
post #926 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinga View Post

42PFL7332D/37...

and i just checked the prices, it is basically the same price as the 42PFL7432D/37, so for the same amount of money you can get a 1080p set

steven
post #927 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikoo View Post

Will Philips replace the TVs with clouding problem after the 30-day return expires? Or we need to keep returning/exchanging till we get a set without clouding / flash lighting?

Note: Sharp used to send the replacement units at home and pick up the faulty ones.

daveinga/Philips TV:

Can you pl. comment on this? pl.
post #928 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 01:22 PM

Has anyone installed the latest firmware update posted on Phillips website for the 7422D? It was posted on 5/30/07 and size is 17,032 KB. What does this upgrade address?

I setup my Phillips 7422D this weekend and so far the only problems I have encountered are with the Comcast setup box. Its a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD and its crap.

How does one verify the firmware installed on his tv?
post #929 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon04 View Post

Has anyone installed the latest firmware update posted on Phillips website for the 7422D? It was posted on 5/30/07 and size is 17,032 KB. What does this upgrade address?

I setup my Phillips 7422D this weekend and so far the only problems I have encountered are with the Comcast setup box. Its a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD and its crap.

How does one verify the firmware installed on his tv?

Generally speaking the updated fixes some HDMI handshake issues plus a few other things. Our friends in the development center in Europe are supposed to post release notes for each SW upgrade. Obviously they have not for this release. We are banging on them on a daily basis, as you are not the first nor will you be the last to ask about this...

Menu---TV menu---Software update----Current software. This will tell you what you currently have... You probably have 39.9 in your set if you just got it from Costco, but may have 39.11. I recommend upgrading to the lastest 51.12
post #930 of 6891 Old 06-06-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinga View Post

Generally speaking the updated fixes some HDMI handshake issues plus a few other things. Our friends in the development center in Europe are supposed to post release notes for each SW upgrade. Obviously they have not for this release. We are banging on them on a daily basis, as you are not the first nor will you be the last to ask about this...

Menu---TV menu---Software update----Current software. This will tell you what you currently have... You probably have 39.9 in your set if you just got it from Costco, but may have 39.11. I recommend upgrading to the lastest 51.12

Dave,

Are the issues below fixed in the 51.12 firmware?

- Sound on HDMI 1 (or 2 or 3) works only if another device is turned on in HDMI 2 or HDMI 3
- Computer resolution 1080p Automatic settings does not work (works fine in 720p - adjusts the Media Center image to full screen for SD channels)
- Center image with remote (in Automatic mode) does not work at all
- Center the image with remote works in Wide screen/High Def but only left/right not up/down

Other people have these issues, so I don't think it is only my set. Also, some people had issues with the new firmware and had to downgrade to 39.11

Can you please let us know.

Thanks,
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Philips , Philips 42pfl7403d 27 42 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page