Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 6891 Old 06-07-2007, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iis_iis View Post

I have the 47" 47PFL7432D and yours is (if I am not wrong) the 42" 7422. This is one reason we should have kept the two models separated, but now it is too late.

I'm new to AVS Forum, but isn't the title of this thread Philip 42" 1080p LCD TV (42PFL7432D/37)? How does that cover the 47"?

PS -- Am I the only person in this thread that actually likes the remote control?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 6891 Old 06-07-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrewer View Post

I'm new to AVS Forum, but isn't the title of this thread Philip 42" 1080p LCD TV (42PFL7432D/37)? How does that cover the 47"?

PS -- Am I the only person in this thread that actually likes the remote control?

Because both the 42 and 47 are the same internally, and because the 47" thread has barely any posts.

This thread has become the defacto thread for the 42", & 47" PFL7432d/37 along with the 42" PFL7422D/37 (offered by costco, same set as the 42" 7432 just with no ambilight and different remote) mainly because it's the only one of 3-4 threads on avs that actually gets any posts.
post #993 of 6891 Old 06-07-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsohne View Post

I did what you said and can hear an electrical noise if I put my ear right to the back of the set. Of course my old fart ears might not be picking up what others might be sensitive to.

that's where the power supply sound is coming from - I can see it being an issue for people who would be using this in their bedroom, with the sound bothering them as they sleep.
post #994 of 6891 Old 06-07-2007, 09:35 PM

the noise is there if u & i can hear or not ... that i would call a human ear defect
post #995 of 6891 Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 PM

Anyone else have a high pitched buzzing? I thought I read that some people did. Mine comes and goes randomly. Sometimes it's loud as hell, sometimes faint. What usually causes this?

As far as the Powerstrip thing, I downloaded it, but I don't think this is going to fix something that the TV is doing. I'll play around with it though.

Edit: OMG, must have missed the last couple posts! People talking about the same thing I believe!

Edit 2: Powerstrip has no options that will reduce/fix bleeding.
post #996 of 6891 Old 06-07-2007, 10:43 PM

just read the last 2 or 3 posts or all of em u will find that ur problem is not so weird lol
post #997 of 6891 Old 06-07-2007, 11:35 PM

Re: the whine...

I have my set plugged in to my cable box. When I power off the cable, it turns off the tv. I hear no whine with this setup. I also do not have a cable line going straight into the set, just the cable box through s-video and rca audio. When I leave the cable box power on and turn the tv off, I hear a faint noise, but I have to put my ear to it to hear it. Ambient noise covers any trace of it if you're not directly next to the set.

Perhaps this is a viable work around for others till philips provides a fix?
post #998 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermix24 View Post

sounds like ur only the happy one vs most of us here . & yea 2 people can make a diffrence . its not so hard to take a look @ what we are talkin about , but its all about how much u care about things also .. my 2 cents

Rshone, you're not the only happy one. I too am very happy with these sets having personally owned some of the other major brand sets that are much more expensive. I now skip most posts except PhilipsTV and daveinga because I don't want to read about all the issues that everyone has. In the past, if I read about an issue I run and check my TV and if it has it, then it bothers me. But it never bothered me before I read about it. The whine is the perfect example.
post #999 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrewer View Post

I don't think that the remote is the best out there but I definitely don't hate it as much as many on this thread. Hey, it even lights up.
post #1000 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 01:06 AM

I'll also chime in. This set is awesome. I'm keeping the TV.

I was eyeing a Samsung before, but then I saw this thread, and PhilipsTV/dave taking time in it. I pulled the trigger and I'm very happy. I saved nearly half, by going with this set over other big name brands. It has a few hiccups, but its an awesome display first and foremost.

I was mostly concerned with being stuck with something that would not be backed up, or I could exchange. However with the talk of the IR board being replaced and the issue known about, I'm much more at ease.

I don't think anyone wants to find something wrong with something they purchased. Especially for this price. I apologize if I sounded negative, and I hope I didn't turn away any business for this wonderful product.

Looking forward to our voice helping them work out some of the kinks. Thanks again PhilipsTV and dave.

Is there any place specifically you'd recommend that we can offer feedback and suggestions on your products? (Besides you guys. Full time jobs and putting up with us.)
post #1001 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 01:11 AM

Just thought I'd let everyone know I'm extremely happy with my set. I was happy with it before with the flashlighting, but I'm too much of a perfectionist so I had to swap them out. I don't have any issues with the set, the remote is fine considering I don't use it at all unless I'm changing settings on the tv. All in all, a great buy. And as others have mentioned, I too was looking at sets almost twice the cost as this one and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been happy with those.

On a side note, I know we've had some people post some settings, but has anyone gone into the individual color settings and tweaked it with avia or dve or something? I'd love to get some of those settings going to fully tweak the set and I can't for the life of me find my avia dvd, think I lost it in the last move. Anyone? Bueller?
post #1002 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhemu View Post

Just thought I'd let everyone know I'm extremely happy with my set. I was happy with it before with the flashlighting, but I'm too much of a perfectionist so I had to swap them out. I don't have any issues with the set, the remote is fine considering I don't use it at all unless I'm changing settings on the tv. All in all, a great buy. And as others have mentioned, I too was looking at sets almost twice the cost as this one and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been happy with those.

On a side note, I know we've had some people post some settings, but has anyone gone into the individual color settings and tweaked it with avia or dve or something? I'd love to get some of those settings going to fully tweak the set and I can't for the life of me find my avia dvd, think I lost it in the last move. Anyone? Bueller?

I am going to try for number three this weekend so wish me luck. Hopefully the set won't have flashlights or clouding. I REALLY don't want to return another tv to BB (neither does my wife) .
post #1003 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 AM

I'm very happy with set I have (May build date). No dead pixels. No whining noise. Watched Finding Nemo last night where there are couple of completely black scenes- to look for clouding. No clouding either I do, however, have a minor HDMI issue. I was unable to get my receiver's setup screen up via HDMI.
I'm keeping this set and hopefully Philips TV and Dave will come up with a fix for the HDMI issues soon.
post #1004 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

It just occurred to me in the wake of my purchase of a Logitech 720 universal remote (BTW, very good deal...close out at Costco, making the thing half price) that Philips was very smart not to over-invest in the remote. Let's face it, when you have an AV receiver, DVD player, cable box, etc. etc., with all the remotes that this entails, they couldn't possibly put a remote in the box that would satisfy. So they concentrated on the TV. Smart move. And now that remote sits in a drawer and I have complete control of my different viewing setups with a touch of a button.

BTW, the customer reviews on my Logitech are pretty mixed, but CNET ranks it as high as any remote they have reviewed. I admit, I like rubber buttons better than the mix of plastic and rubber ones, but it has a color screen, downloadable remote configurations, backlighting and it only runs $140 (in-store special). The only issue I'm having is a source switch issue with the TV, but I'm already having that problem with the existing remote. So I'll eagerly await the next firmware update and working on tweaking my configuration for the meantime.

Bob
post #1005 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

WARNING: I had to come back up to warn of a long post.

Hello, guys!

I stumbled upon this forum doing research to find my perfect (first) hdtv. I was looking at Toshiba 42HL167 and LG 37/42LB5D but I was concerned about the problems reported in their respective threads. I learned here that no TV is perfect and defect-free (I should have known better, I am in software development and my wife in manufacturing... insight) but as I was going through this thread for the last few days (phew! I caught up yesterday), I decided that this would be the TV I would 'invest' in. Mostly, because of the customer service (thank you Daveinga and PhilipsTV) and the ability to upgrade firmware over USB, which I haven't seen in other models.

I understand the delays in fixing (and testing, as I am in QA) known issues, and I have to say that PhilipsTV and Daveinga are doing a wonderful job taking notes of the issues and passing them onto development, and then keeping us on the loop. It seems like they have their hands full outside of this forum at the time, but hopefully they will be able to spare us some minutes to keep us up to date.

So anyway, after several weeks in research, I decided I would buy this TV so a couple of days ago I took the wifey to the electronics store to convince her this would be a good buy. She was sold, so yesterday I went to 3 BB with the online price and 12% coupon in hand, asking for both discounts... they didn't buy it in the first two stores, than in the third one, the rep told me he would do it, so I applied for my BB card to get financing, and when a different guy was processing my order (had him match the online price first), when he scanned the 12% coupon, it automatically (or at least that's what it looked like) made the discount from the regular price. So I left it at that.

Even so, it cost me $0.96 more than the 37LB5D on Crutchfield (same 30 day return, great customer service and technical support, I hear; and free shipping, no tax). We came back with a 42PFL7432D/37 that I have not even opened yet (can't wait) because I have another home project putting ceiling fans (not as fun), but hopefully will have time soon to check the panel and play around with the settings. I am going to check if Blockbuster online has an Avia or Dve and I will post the setting if I find them.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks a lot for all the information.

Æ
post #1006 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 09:02 AM

Bob,
What source switching problem are you encountering with your Harmony? I'm using the 550 and everything's working just fine. You may also want to visit
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/forums.cgi
A good source for remote control issues.
post #1007 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips TV View Post

There is also a quirk with the "nudge" feature. If you are inputting a 480i via Composite / S-video / Component to the set, you will have to label the input "Game" or "Digital STB" in order to activate the nudge feature. I don't know why this is done, it is just one of those things an engineer thought was a good idea.

Yes, I labeled the AVI port "Digital STB" and now the "nudge" feature works, well sort of. It doesn't work up/down, just left/right and it doesn't work in the Automatic mode. Actually in the Automatic mode has a strange behavior, it slightly adjusts/scales the image -only down- when a channel is presented with black bars at the top and bottom and the logo of the channel is in between the image and the black bars at the bottom. Hard to explain but if somebody cares to test you will see what I mean. If when watching such channel you press the down arrow on the remote, the image will readjust about an inch down covering the whole screen (eventually making parts of the logo not visible). This shows that adjusting the image up/down is there but it is somehow limited in functionality.

According to you there is a technical reason for centering the image not to work in Automatic mode, but it worked fine on a previous Philips model. Why adjusting the image up/down doesn't work on any of the inputs in any format? Maybe a firmware update can change this if the engineers look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips TV View Post

Are you having the problem on PC 1080p where you have a border around the screen? (I can't remember all of the posts, now that there are 900+ in this thread )

If so, try something for me, if you haven't already. (I have no idea if this will make a difference). Label the HDMI input "PC" Let me know if it changes anything.

I tried labeling the HDMI input "PC" and it indeed changed the options in the Format. Before, I had only Automatic - Wide Screen - Unscaled and now I have all options... besides Automatic! The Automatic settings are needed for Media Center to enlarge a channel in SD 4:3 to full screen. This doesn't work anymore if the HDMI input is labeled anything else than "None". I tried every label option available for a port and could not get the Automatic back (it is grayed out in Format options). Do you think this can be changed in the firmware for at least the "PC" format input? I tried this in 720p and 1080p computer resolution with the same result, I get all formats available but not "Automatic" when the port label is changed to anything other than "None".

---------------

Also, are the engineers working on the 1080p computer resolution issue? Maybe we can get this fixed in the next firmware update? Currently the "Automatic" mode doesn't work when in 1080p resolution and Media Center will not adjust a SD channel to full screen (works in 720p and the port label set to "none"). Since this is a 1080 native panel the best image is achieved when setting the resolution on the computer to 1080p. Since the Automatic settings do not work in 1080p resolution, the only solution to get the Automatic settings back is to set the resolution to 720p, and the result is a degraded/blurred image - definitely not at par with the image quality at 1080 resolution. Please let us know when this is expected to be fixed.

---- On a different note, I managed to have all 3 HDMI inputs connected and eliminate the problem with the sound and DVD 1080 upscale (I explained in previous posts). I connected the computer to HDMI 3 with the 5x1 HDMI Switch. Turning on all 3 devices doesn't create any issue this way and I have sound on HDMI 1 when only one device is turned on. I am not sure why these issues but this is the workaround I found to make all of them work.
post #1008 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High&Def View Post

I don't think that the remote is the best out there but I definitely don't hate it as much as many on this thread. Hey, it even lights up.

Yeah, the only addition would be an enter button, but even that is not a big deal. I find it is shaped a little odd, but heck it is only a remote. Would rather have them spend the money elsewhere.
post #1009 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc9789 View Post

Bob,
What source switching problem are you encountering with your Harmony? I'm using the 550 and everything's working just fine. You may also want to visit
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/forums.cgi
A good source for remote control issues.

The latest firmware (51.12) has a bug where after watching stuff on an HDMI or Component port, the source cannot be switched using the source button. It brings up the menu, but when you select another source, it won't switch away. You need to press the channel button or favorites button and select that way. Then the problem goes away.

The issue with the remote is a little more complicated, in that it takes me to HDMI 3 when I choose TV. I think I've narrowed that problem down, though, and will be trying my tweak to the remote software this afternoon.

Bob
post #1010 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west43rd View Post

The issue with the remote is a little more complicated, in that it takes me to HDMI 3 when I choose TV. I think I've narrowed that problem down, though, and will be trying my tweak to the remote software this afternoon.

Bob

Most of issues I had with my 550 were "delay" related. I'm also using source input discrete codes now. Input source switch is a lot better with discrete codes. There are several threads about delay as well as discrete codes in the Remote Control forum. Hope this helps.
post #1011 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High&Def View Post

Rshone, you're not the only happy one. I too am very happy with these sets having personally owned some of the other major brand sets that are much more expensive. I now skip most posts except PhilipsTV and daveinga because I don't want to read about all the issues that everyone has. In the past, if I read about an issue I run and check my TV and if it has it, then it bothers me. But it never bothered me before I read about it. The whine is the perfect example.

Thanks for the support and it took me some time to see myself doing the same thing. I was just trying to bring out the point that some of the problems have been voiced a hundred times and acknowledged by Philips TV and passed on to engineering. Hey ,at least Philips is here direct to let you know what is going on. Look for that in the other AVSForums!
post #1012 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

I am going to try for number three this weekend so wish me luck. Hopefully the set won't have flashlights or clouding. I REALLY don't want to return another tv to BB (neither does my wife) .

BB is bad enough but the wife is another story..LOL
post #1013 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 11:04 AM

Just happened to look through the manual and found what I believe is Philip's stand on bad pixels.Look in your manual at page 3, paragraph 1.6 and it states:

Your TV display is made with high-precision technology with a high number of color pixels. Although it has effective pixels of 99.999% or more,black dots or bright points of light (red,green, or blue ) may appear constantly on the screen.This is a structural property of the display (within common industry standards)and is not a malfunction.

Comments?
post #1014 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

BB is bad enough but the wife is another story..LOL

Exactly! I think she is just mad that she is having to watch tv on an old Sony 27" for now .
post #1015 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just happened to look through the manual and found what I believe is Philip's stand on bad pixels.Look in your manual at page 3, paragraph 1.6 and it states:

Your TV display is made with high-precision technology with a high number of color pixels. Although it has effective pixels of 99.999% or more,black dots or bright points of light (red,green, or blue ) may appear constantly on the screen.This is a structural property of the display (within common industry standards)and is not a malfunction.

Comments?

That is a surprise (to me, at least). If I understand that correctly, even 207 dead/stuck pixels is within the 'accepted' range.

Could that be true, or am I missing something?

Æ
post #1016 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgary View Post

That is a surprise (to me, at least). If I understand that correctly, even 207 dead/stuck pixels is within the 'accepted' range.

Æ

In theory though, you could have 207 dead pixels and not see any of them at normal viewing distances for television watching. If you're using the display as a monitor, that's another story.

Now obviously, anyone with 207 dead pixels would be quite pissed, but what can ya do
post #1017 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc9789 View Post

Most of issues I had with my 550 were "delay" related. I'm also using source input discrete codes now. Input source switch is a lot better with discrete codes. There are several threads about delay as well as discrete codes in the Remote Control forum. Hope this helps.

For delay they have a complete menu section in setup software for customizing signal delay. For instance, I had to put a full 12 second delay for start up of the unit, but could enter 0 delay between commands on the TV itself. I think I've finally tweaked it to an acceptable level. But I'm sure I'll be tweaking more once I dig in further. I know I'm gonna wind up on yet another forum at remotecentral.

Bob
post #1018 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west43rd View Post

I know I'm gonna wind up on yet another forum at remotecentral.

Bob

I did already
post #1019 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgary View Post

Æ

I think your math is off by one decimal place:

1,920 x 1,080 = 2,073,600 pixels

99.999% good would be 2,073,579.264 meaning 20.736 could be bad and be within what they consider acceptable.

I have one stuck red pixel on my 7422 in the upper left quarter which is pretty good compared to some of the other LCDs I have had so far this year.
post #1020 of 6891 Old 06-08-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Comments?

Thanks for finding that. I had asked the question a couple times and the answer was never as clear as what you found in the manual.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Philips , Philips 42pfl7403d 27 42 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread