Philips 42" 1080p LCD TV (42PFL7432D/37) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 6891 Old 05-14-2007, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They were also the first LCoS I ever saw, but then I never saw another one from them again.

Sony (SXRD) and JVC (D-ILA) own that now.

I have a Philips DVP-622 DVD player because the darn thing will play anything I throw at it (easy hack to region-free, DivX/XviD compatible) and only cost $60. How's that for value!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6891 Old 05-14-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post

That's a bit disappointing ... could there be a firmware upgrade to do away with the 3:2 pulldown? A 48Hz (or better still 72Hz) refresh rate would be best. Would the 9-series be able to do this?

Seconded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips TV View Post

usasupport_philips_com .... ProductCode=42PFL7432D/37...

According to the 42PFL7432D/37 leaflet, the 42PFL7432D/37 has a 24 Hz refresh rate!
post #93 of 6891 Old 05-14-2007, 02:22 PM

is the a difference between 42PFL7432D/37 and the 42PFL7432D/37B

just check the philips.com and they had two version..

also what a 3:2 pull down?
post #94 of 6891 Old 05-14-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Good Eyes YOTR. There was a minor change in the board layout which could cause minor video interference in some situations with Analog connections. There is already have a firmware update out to fix it.

42pfl7432d_37_fus_aen 16-45-24.zip

I am unable to decompress this Zip. My computer returns "Error 1 - Operation not permitted" after trying to decompress the Zip for a second. I am using Mac OS X 10.4.9. Does anyone else have this problem?

What changes are contained in the new update? The Web site doesn't have any release notes published for this new firmware.
post #95 of 6891 Old 05-14-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHou View Post

Seconded!

According to the 42PFL7432D/37 leaflet, the 42PFL7432D/37 has a 24 Hz refresh rate!

No, this panel like the vast majority of LCD panels in the USA is a 60Hz panel. 24Hz is listed under "supported video formats" This means that the TV will accept a 1080p24 signal into the component or HDMI inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef25 View Post

is the a difference between 42PFL7432D/37 and the 42PFL7432D/37B

No, there is no difference. Exactly the same TV, website always shows a regular and 'B' version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrewer View Post

I am unable to decompress this Zip. My computer returns "Error 1 - Operation not permitted" after trying to decompress the Zip for a second. I am using Mac OS X 10.4.9. Does anyone else have this problem?

What changes are contained in the new update? The Web site doesn't have any release notes published for this new firmware.

Unfortunately I'm not familar with Macs. I did not have a problem with this file on a Windows XP machine.

This update fixes the problem mentioned by YOTR.

Quote:

also what a 3:2 pull down?

3:2 pulldown is the process for converting movies, which are shot at 24 frames per second, to video which is 60 frames per second (progressive). 24 does not go into 60 evenly, so 3 shots of the first frame are taken, then 2 shots of the second frame, 3 of the third, 2 of the fourth... and now 24 will fit into 60. you can search on this forum or on Wikipedia for more information on 3:2 pulldown.
post #96 of 6891 Old 05-14-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There isn't much choice with a 60Hz panel. 3:2 pulldown is the best way to transition the 24Hz material to 60Hz. (Any Blu-Ray player that outputs 1080p60 does this also). Also, with the TV supporting 24Hz, it gives you the choice of letting the TV do the 3:2 pulldown, or the Blu-Ray player. If one does a better job you have the option.

72Hz would be a good option. The only TVs I know that are currently doing this are some higher end Pioneers. 72Hz still doesn't have smooth motion because you are just tripling the frames, so the image will still appear "juddery" I would consider 72Hz a higher-end "videophile" feature. Not really the price point these TVs are in.

The 9-series will also use 3:2 pulldown. But, I'll do some investigating if there are any differences b/c of the 120Hz panel.

Philips TV,
Just to confirm this set 42PFL7432D is a 60hz set but the 9 series are 120hz?
Depsite the fact they have a 120Hz panel they still use a 3:2 pulldown to 60Hz then double?

Philip doesn't lose any points for not doing 5:5 pulldown for optimal display of 24fps because nobody in the same price point is doing it either. Wish at least one LCD company would implement 5:5 on 120Hz display then likely everyone would jump onboard and we could eliminate the anachronism of 3:2 pulldown.

Thanks for being here to provide information. Every company should have at least one rep working the boards at AVS.
post #97 of 6891 Old 05-14-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what a 3:2 pull down?

Movies are shot at 24fps.
TV display at 60fps.

So how do you display it? 3:2 pulldown.

The source alternates displaying 3 and 2 frames.

Imagine the movie has frames ABCDEF (this is 1/4 a second 6 frames @ 24fps).
It does a 3:2 pull down and duplicates the frames to
AAABBCCCDDEEEFF (notice it is 3 copies then 2 copies).
The 6 frames @ 24fps (1/4 second) are now output as 15 frames @ 60fps. Movie is still same speed 6 frames @ 24fps = 1/4 second and 15 frames @ 60fps = 1/4 second.

The problem is that not each frame is displayed the same length of time. The A, C, E frames are displayed 3/60 or 1/20 of a second each but the B D F frames are displayed 2/60 or 1/30 of a second each.

This can cause "juddering" where the film jerks ever so slightly due frames being displayed an uneven amount of time. It can be most easily seen in high resolution material with a slow pan across a regular background (tiles or stairs).

The "holy grail" in movie playback would be to display each frame the same number of times. This could be done @ 24fps, 48fps, 72fps, 96fps, or 120fps.
24fps or 48fps is too slow for LCD & Plasma and would flickering and eye strain. 72fps or 96fps would work fine but lead to problems syncing video (30 or 60fps). The magic number is 120fps.

A 120fps panel could:
take 60fps input and display each frame twice AABBCCDDEEFF and get 120Hz.
take a 30fps input and display each frame 4 times AAAABBBBCCCC and get 120Hz.
take a 24fps input and display each frame 5 times AAAAABBBBBCCCCC and get 120Hz.

The ideal display of 24fps content on 120Hz panel would be called 5:5 pulldown because both the even and odd frames are each displayed 5 times.

To display 24fps without 3:2 pulldown you need 4 things:
1) Source with 24fps output.
2) Display that can input 24fps.
3) Display that has proper processing to handle 24fp w/o 3:2 pulldown.
4) Panel displays a a frequency that is a multiple of 24Hz (120Hz would be ideal).
post #98 of 6891 Old 05-14-2007, 05:14 PM

hmmm this 3:2 pulldown is intresting stuff. you learn someting new everyday . namechamps that explanation was very solid and perfect for a tv noob like myself. lol. i read wikipedia but i didn realy understood it. however when i read your post, it totaly made sense to me. Id love to see a tv that has true 120hz in action.

Philips Tv, you my friend is what every manufacture needs. You are one in a million. I tip my hat to you Sir. thanks for the support. keep it up.
post #99 of 6891 Old 05-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good Eyes YOTR. There was a minor change in the board layout which could cause minor video interference in some situations with Analog connections. There is already have a firmware update out to fix it.

http://www.usasupport.philips.com/pr...SU_US_CONSUMER

Can this firmware be installed on 42PFL7422D?
post #100 of 6891 Old 05-14-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Well everything was going smoothly until last night. The tv has performed great for satellite and PS3/XBOX 360 but I am having an issues on the component connections. My DVD player and Nintendo Wii both have what seems to be interference (power/electrical) on the screen. There are wavy/static lines whenever I turn them on. When they are off there are no lines at all on the screen. It exhibits a perfect blue background. None of my other ports do this on the tv. I already tried plugging into a different outlet in the house and moving the component cables from behind the tv to the front and it does the same thing. About the only other thing I can think to do is take the tv out of the cabinet and isolate it. If it still does it, then it's going back. My previous Sony LCD didn't do this at all and nothing has changed in my setup. Anyone have ideas?

PS: Man that black piano finish on the outside bezel scratches easily! LOL

Im having the same exact problem you are having
post #101 of 6891 Old 05-14-2007, 08:52 PM

YOTR and xbox19 (and anyone else),

With Philips TV on vacation I feel I must chime in. I happen to sit a few floors away from Philips TV and can assure you that the firmware update on the Philips suport website will take care of your interference issues that you are seeing on analog/component connections. We have verified and verified again that this firmware update solves the problem.
post #102 of 6891 Old 05-14-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namechamps View Post

A 120fps panel could:
take 60fps input and display each frame twice AABBCCDDEEFF and get 120Hz.
take a 30fps input and display each frame 4 times AAAABBBBCCCC and get 120Hz.
take a 24fps input and display each frame 5 times AAAAABBBBBCCCCC and get 120Hz.

The ideal display of 24fps content on 120Hz panel would be called 5:5 pulldown because both the even and odd frames are each displayed 5 times.

To display 24fps without 3:2 pulldown you need 4 things:
1) Source with 24fps output.
2) Display that can input 24fps.
3) Display that has proper processing to handle 24fp w/o 3:2 pulldown.
4) Panel displays a a frequency that is a multiple of 24Hz (120Hz would be ideal).

If my understanding is correct, 120Hz isn't aimed at a 5:5 pulldown. It should be something like what JVC has been doing ... adding a black field in between to reduce the response time.

Personally, I prefer something like:-

- AAAA Black BBBB Black CCCC Black DDDD Black EEEE with 24p input
- AAA Black BBB Black CCC Black DDD Black EEE with 30p input
- A Black B Black C Black D Black E with 60p input
post #103 of 6891 Old 05-15-2007, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Well I applied the firmware update per PhilipsTV's instructions. I now have no video interference at all (as far as I can tell at least ). Regardless I don't have the scrolling interference line and everything looks good. I tried my Nintendo Wii/DVD player last night and could not see any wavy lines anymore. I then decided to connect my Xbox 360 to the component connections just to be sure because it is a true high def source were the Wii isn't. The image is crystal clear and I did not see any interference. I was very skeptical of the update working but it seems to have done the job. So as of right now, I am very happy. I honestly didn't want to return the tv because it is the first set in probably five I have looked at that doesn't have the usual LCD hang ups (uneven backlight, cloudy screen, etc., etc.). I also love the fact that the set is very quiet. I noticed a little "white noise" (very slight ringing sound only noticeable when you place your ear a few inches from the screen). Believe me, I am not complaining.

Plus the black levels are VERY impressive on this set considering it is an LCD. Other than the dreaded (I really keep harping on that don't I? ) piano "I scratch easy" finish, this set is great.

I also want to say thank you to PhilipsTV. His support and response has been great in this thread and this forum for that matter. It really makes me feel better about my purchase.
post #104 of 6891 Old 05-15-2007, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox19 View Post

Im having the same exact problem you are having

The firmware update works, don't worry. All will be good .
post #105 of 6891 Old 05-15-2007, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrewer View Post

mbrewer, make sure you are using Stuffit Expander to un-zip the file. Using the built-in BOM Archiver (which may be default on your system) gives the error you describe. Using Stuffit Expander (10.0.2 on my OS X 10.4.9 system) seems to do the trick giving a file named autorun.upg.
post #106 of 6891 Old 05-15-2007, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph lundgren View Post

/Quote/ lol,im sorry but you Americans make me laugh when you worry about philips being a good brand or not.

Over in Europe philips is one of 'the' brands.

We are talking on level terms as toshiba, sony..or even better, there tvs have always been awesome(very overpriced) but awesome.

They are a dutch company and have been making tv's since the 1950's...they also make everything else electrical you can think of. /Quote//

Another funny fact that people don't know is that about 10 years ago Philips made the worlds first flat panel ever.
RESPECT!

You have to understand that the bulk of the consumer electronics that Philips has been shipping to the US for the past decade or two has been their low-end stuff under the Magnavox brand. Strictly low-end/low-grade stuff, roughly comparable to the Sylvania and Emerson low end products in discount stores/pharmacies.

Its only been in the last couple of years that Philips has broadly shipped higher end product to the US under their name. In LCD TVs their presences has, so far, ranked behind upstarts like Westinghouse, Olevia, and Vizio so they are not considered first-tier vendors like Sony or Samsung. This new line of 1080p sets may *start* to change this but for now, there will be unavoidable questions about the expected quality of the products until word gets out.
Things are a bit different on this side of the pond is all...
post #107 of 6891 Old 05-15-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:

No, this panel like the vast majority of LCD panels in the USA is a 60Hz panel. 24Hz is listed under "supported video formats" This means that the TV will accept a 1080p24 signal into the component or HDMI inputs.

If so, the term "refresh rate" of the 42PFL7432D/37 leaflet is misused, it should be replaced by "frame rate", as used in

* A DTV Profile for Uncompressed High Speed Digital Interfaces - EIA/CEA 861:
"An additional format added to 861B is a version based on a film frame rate (1920X1080p @ 24Hz)."

* Wikipedia:
"The refresh rate (or "vertical refresh rate", "vertical scan rate" for CRTs) is the number of times in a second that a display is illuminated. This is distinct from the measure of frame rate in that the refresh rate includes the repeated illumination of identical frames, while frame rate measures how often a display can change from one image to another.
For example, a movie projector advances from one frame to the next 24 times each second. But each frame is illuminated twice or three times before the next frame is projected. As a result, the movie projector runs at 24 frames per second, but has a 48 or 72 Hz refresh rate."
post #108 of 6891 Old 05-15-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

The firmware update works, don't worry. All will be good .

I just did the update and all is well.....Much better now..

thanks
post #109 of 6891 Old 05-15-2007, 07:53 PM

tried connecting my wii too and i did notice a horizantal bar in the middle. will try the update and see if it works
post #110 of 6891 Old 05-15-2007, 08:38 PM

did the update. worked like a charm no more bar. awsome job philips!!
post #111 of 6891 Old 05-15-2007, 09:37 PM

i just bought one yesterday , its amazing in quality , got tons of features , sexy lighting in the back ! & that beauty black finish ( uhh can i keep the plastic around it ? :P ) overall this tv is 100 % worth it ..one thing if i have a dvi in my pc & i get me a cable from dvi to hdmi , can i display correctly the image ? thx a lot for the info 7 the firmware update u guys rock !

P.s : Ps3 & this unit are like brother & sister
post #112 of 6891 Old 05-15-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anklosaur View Post

mbrewer, make sure you are using Stuffit Expander to un-zip the file. Using the built-in BOM Archiver (which may be default on your system) gives the error you describe. Using Stuffit Expander (10.0.2 on my OS X 10.4.9 system) seems to do the trick giving a file named autorun.upg.

I went into the Terminal and executed the unzip command to decompress the Zip file. That worked. I wonder what is odd about Philip's Zip file that makes it incompatible with BOMArchiveHelper -- or the built-in Finder unzipping as most would know it.

Stuffit Expander is old and crufty. I haven't used it for years now and no longer bother installing it.
post #113 of 6891 Old 05-15-2007, 10:57 PM

I am currently in the market for a HD TV. I know that each brand has some sort of issues with them, so there is no perfect TV. I have spend time at BB, CC and Sears viewing sets to draw my own opinions.

I have read the praise here about the Philips 42PFL7432D and decided to check it out. Sears had the 47PFL7342D on and next to it was the Samsung LNT4665. IMO the Philips had a sharper picture and others that were viewing them felt the same way. At $900 less than the Samsung, the Philips was a steal.

BB had the 42PFL7432D and it rocked. Other sets that were more expensive around the Philips had nothing over it. Philips is a set that is over looked in that most people start looking at Samsung and Sony first, but the smart money now is on the Philips.

I am now down to the LG 42LC7D (720P) and the Philips 42PFL7432D. I like the LG in that the XD engine helps improves the SD images and it will save me about $275 over the Philips. If the Philips set Perfect Pixel engine improves the SD images, I would me more inclined to buy the Philips.

At BB on the weekends there is Panasonic rep that answers questions in the department. He said that on a 42" TV you would have to sit eight feet or closer to notice a difference from 1080P over 720P. At 10 feet or more viewing distance 720P should be the choice on a 42" TV. My viewing distance will be ten feet, so it would seem that the LG would be the choice.
post #114 of 6891 Old 05-15-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzWildcat View Post

I am now down to the LG 42LC7D (720P) and the Philips 42PFL7432D. I like the LG in that the XD engine helps improves the SD images and it will save me about $275 over the Philips. If the Philips set Perfect Pixel engine improves the SD images, I would me more inclined to buy the Philips.

At BB on the weekends there is Panasonic rep that answers questions in the department. He said that on a 42" TV you would have to sit eight feet or closer to notice a difference from 1080P over 720P. At 10 feet or more viewing distance 720P should be the choice on a 42" TV. My viewing distance will be ten feet, so it would seem that the LG would be the choice.

What the Panny rep didn't tell you is that you should be watching a 60" TV rather than a 42" one. Personally, I would not buy a 720p set for the minimal price difference. But I'm holding back for the 52" ...

Pixel Plus 3 HD does improve SD images drastically and IMHO, smokes XD on 768p sets. Have yet to AB compare Pixel Perfect HD vs. XD on the 1080p models, however.

post #115 of 6891 Old 05-16-2007, 09:54 AM

i was in the same boat as you wildcat. i was ready to get the lg lcd but when for $200 more why not just get a 1080p. came home and found out at the time that the philips was only in fact $100 more than the lg. i was so pleased that i got the philips. check bb online they might still have this tv for 1611.00 if so tell the store to do a price match. best tv hands down for the specs/price
post #116 of 6891 Old 05-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

I just bought the 7422 yesterday from Costco warehouse. This model comes without Ambilight. Should I start a new thread? I was thinking we can use this thread for both the TVs. Any comments?

I had a Sharp 4692U before. I was plagued with banding and clouding problem. Sharp replaced the TV 3 times, but all of the them were pretty bad.

I started liking this TV. I will update here later with detailed comparison.
post #117 of 6891 Old 05-16-2007, 11:46 AM

pikoo is your set also 1080p?
post #118 of 6891 Old 05-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

pikoo is your set also 1080p?

Yup.
post #119 of 6891 Old 05-16-2007, 12:32 PM

pikoo,

Please do a review and pics!! I saw this too at Costco this past weekend but they were all sold out.. Really impressive for the price. Also, how is the remote?
post #120 of 6891 Old 05-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalier95 View Post

pikoo,

Please do a review and pics!! I saw this too at Costco this past weekend but they were all sold out.. Really impressive for the price. Also, how is the remote?

I don't know where you are located, but most of the Northern California (Bay area) costco's got the shipment yesterday afternoon. Each store got 6 of them. The item number is '197742' and the price is very impressive.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Philips , Philips 42pfl7403d 27 42 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread