Philips 42" 1080p LCD TV (42PFL7432D/37) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 6891 Old 05-19-2007, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was watching The Office in HD and noticed alot of ghosting (think thats what its called). When an object moves across the screen quickly it leaves a trail. Im a little OCD but any one else notice this, is it normal for LCD (my other set was DLP)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 6891 Old 05-19-2007, 04:33 PM

any else still expirience the signal drop out after the update date. i was watching a ps3 bluray movie(1080p) kingdom of heaven and after it finish i stop the movie and went to the dash board(1080p)decided to pop a regular dvd so my kid can watch. well. after i played the movie i got the blue screen (undectable signal) screen. stayed there for a while as the movie load. i can hear sounds but the screen is stuck in the bluescreen. change source on my remote to switch to a different hdmi and went back and it work.so im sure the update hasnt resolve the issue yet. screen still gets drop when signal switches from different format. i hope this thing gets resolve soon.
post #183 of 6891 Old 05-19-2007, 05:03 PM

PhilipTV
Quote:

Pikoo, does the Oppo work with other output resolutions?

The model number is the DV-400V-S. I also tried the Philips DVD Player with HD Upconversion Model: DVP5982/37 and it does the same thing . I love the tv, but I really want the 1080p to work.

By the way if there is anyone who is seeing ghosting on analog channels but not digital ones, try reducing the "color enhancement", "noise contrast" and the "dynamic contrast" settings.

Syirrus
post #184 of 6891 Old 05-19-2007, 05:43 PM

Thanks Syirrus. I had noticed some ghosting on non-digital channels and was going to post about it. I'll try your suggestions out.
post #185 of 6891 Old 05-19-2007, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Well I turned on my PS3 tonight to play Resistance and noticed some faint marks on the menu screen before I loaded the game up (black screen). It almost looked like dust streaks or smear marks. Well turns out it is on the tv itself. The smears or streaks seems to fade and appear in different sections of the screen also (it almost looks like the streaks flicker a bit but it is hard to tell). I tried powering the set off/on and noticed they were gone! Then about 10 seconds later they faintly appeared again, sometimes not in the same place or same pattern (sometimes a line, sometimes a weird blotch) You can't see the marks until you are about a foot from the screen. I also found two stuck pixels but they are on the left side and not even noticeable until you are a few inches from the screen. It seems strange because I had not noticed this before. I tried my xbox360 and it does the same thing so I don't think it is either game system. I REALLY don't want to have to return this set. It has been pretty much flawless up to this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I only have about 2 weeks left to return it to BB. Thanks!
post #186 of 6891 Old 05-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips TV View Post

TV is 8,000:1 Early panel spec numbers indicated 5500:1, so that is what the Point-of-Sale material was printed to say. After final testing on the production level panels contrast ratio was determined to be 8000:1. Online spec sheet is easy to update, printed materials are not.

Printed material is hard to change quickly. Contrast ratio is 8:000:1.

Thanks for the clarification. It really helps. By the way what is the native contrast ratio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips TV View Post

Pikoo, does the Oppo work with other output resolutions?

Oppo works with other output resolutions. But I must say, the HDMI connection is very flaky. It behave eradically. Sometimes it works for 720P, sometimes it does not. Sometimes it works for 1080p (without audio), sometimes does not.

Few other problems I observed:

1. Even I set the "MPEG artifacts reduction" to "on", I see lots of MPEG artifacts while playing the DVD, Comcast cable, dish (all of the inputs).

2. Looks like while camera is panning I see a layer of static noise (like the Sharp banding). I had 46D92U for a while.

3. I used DVE to display "title 14, gray screen 1", I see few artifacts in the screen. (It was a standard test for banding on Sharp). I see a vertical line around 3 inches long in the upper left hand corner on that screen. Gray screen #2 is not clean also.

4. Looks like I am not able to get the skin tone correctly (in SD or HD). Either it is too reddish, too yellowish, too light, too dark.

5. DVI to HDMI also is very flaky. First few times it will say "no video signal", "video not supported" and then generally the picture stays most of the time. But time to time it goes to the blue screen.

6. I was watching "March of the Penguins" DVD. There were lots of noise in the white background. The ice looked like it contains small square blocks of noise. It was not smooth at all. The similar thing I am seeing when a person is wearing a white shirt. It is not smooth. Even in HD I am seeing this problem. It was not there in Sharp.
post #187 of 6891 Old 05-19-2007, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Well I turned on my PS3 tonight to play Resistance and noticed some faint marks on the menu screen before I loaded the game up (black screen). It almost looked like dust streaks or smear marks. Well turns out it is on the tv itself. The smears or streaks seems to fade and appear in different sections of the screen also (it almost looks like the streaks flicker a bit but it is hard to tell). I tried powering the set off/on and noticed they were gone! Then about 10 seconds later they faintly appeared again, sometimes not in the same place or same pattern (sometimes a line, sometimes a weird blotch) You can't see the marks until you are about a foot from the screen. I also found two stuck pixels but they are on the left side and not even noticeable until you are a few inches from the screen. It seems strange because I had not noticed this before. I tried my xbox360 and it does the same thing so I don't think it is either game system. I REALLY don't want to have to return this set. It has been pretty much flawless up to this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I only have about 2 weeks left to return it to BB. Thanks!

Well the problem disappeared again. This is very strange. I actually though it was just the HDMI 2 connection so I switched it to another HDMI input. Low and behold it didn't show the same weird marks associated with the HDMI 2 connection. So I went back to the HDMI 2 connection and now they are not showing up. I am a little concerned if this issue is a "coming and going" problem. I tried different HDMI cables so I know it isn't that. I guess I can rule out it being a bad input. I am going to leave the tv on and see if it shows up again. I do notice the HDMI connections on this tv can act strange at times so maybe it has something to do with that.

Oh yeah, I shouldn't look at the screen so close because I noticed 4 stuck pixels . Oh well, no biggie honestly because I can't see them once I am a foot back from the screen.
post #188 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 07:25 AM

the tv is excellent except 1 thing thats bothering me now ... i hear noise , a humming sound when the screen is blue or when i'm in certain area's in the dashboard of the xbox 360 .. this humming noise disappears when the menu of the tv is up ..strange .. is it normal ... anyone with the same problem ?
post #189 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 07:31 AM

i Believe that humming sound started after the update .. i never heard it bofore that ...
post #190 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermix24 View Post

the tv is excellent except 1 thing thats bothering me now ... i hear noise , a humming sound when the screen is blue or when i'm in certain area's in the dashboard of the xbox 360 .. this humming noise disappears when the menu of the tv is up ..strange .. is it normal ... anyone with the same problem ?

I also have the humming sound. I can't hear it unless I am a few inches from the screen though.
post #191 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 07:58 AM

After the update I notice a few things on my set...

1. Smear marks , well black thin like marks going down the right side of the screen.

2. this one really bugs me... Whenver i have a black screen and look at the tv on an angle ,the black turns like a goldish yellow color...

3. the set makes a high pitch hum when the tv is off

I Dont remmeber seeing the first 2 before the update.
post #192 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox19 View Post

1. Smear marks , well black thin like marks going down the right side of the screen.

2. this one really bugs me... Whenver i have a black screen and look at the tv on an angle ,the black turns like a goldish yellow color...

I have a line that occasionally appears on the left side but that is during high def sources that are set to the "high resolution" mode which is normal (xbox360/ps3). Your problem sounds similar to my smearing/streaking I was talking about a few posts up but mine comes and goes. Mine doesn't make a hum unless it is on so that is very strange.
post #193 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinga View Post

For those of you who have purchased the TV, just an FYI... When the SW update comes early next week the "High Resolution" setting in the format options will change to "Unscaled" . We felt that the average customer will see a "High Resolution" option and of course think that is the best. But in that format occasionally you will see some digital data on the top of the screen (channel info, closed captioning, etc). We did not want people returning TV's thinking there is something wrong. I believe that this is seen mostly when viewing HD channels through the tuner (cable direct from wall).

When viewing content from my Apple TV and using the High Resolution setting, I see a very thin line of static (for lack of a better word) on the right hand side. I guess this is more a problem with the Apple TV than the Philips TV. Daveinga or Philips TV, can you confirm?
post #194 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 08:42 AM

Picked up a 42" from Costco yesterday. I have two questions: can I use the USB port to display jpeg photos and what is the advantage of upgrading to the new "SW" ?
post #195 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

sharpbank6282, can you please post which model you picked up at costco and review it? Thanks! I am looking at getting the costco 1080p 42" and wanted a first hand account of the good and bad. Thanks!
post #196 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpbank6282 View Post

Picked up a 42" from Costco yesterday. I have two questions: can I use the USB port to display jpeg photos and what is the advantage of upgrading to the new "SW" ?

Yes, the USB port is for displaying photos. as for the firmware, some people are having hdmi handshake issue that was fixed with the new firmware.
post #197 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 11:16 AM

It is a 7422D/37 model. I have a basic service from Comcast. The SDs are OK and HDs are quite good. I have little experience to compare it to other makers/models. In general, I am quite happy with it so far. Will soon hook it up with my DVD and try the USB for photo display. I do not have HD DVD to test the 1080p functionality, however.
post #198 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 11:50 AM

i just bought this gem yesterday at BB. such a nice display! quick question, most of my devices are standard def, and the only HD devices i have are a Nintendo Wii, a progressive scan dvd player, and a plain xbox. Which video modes will allow the High Resolution option to be selected? As it is i can only choose from the Automatic, Zoom, two forced modes, and the widescreen option.

thanks,
steven
post #199 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormbaby View Post

as for the firmware, some people are having hdmi handshake issue that was fixed with the new firmware.

The firmware which will be fixing HDMI handshaking issues will be released on coming Monday. Are you talking about the last f/w update (Posted Date: 05/08/2007 Size = 16,989 KB)?
http://www.usasupport.philips.com/pr...=42PFL7432D/37
post #200 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 02:02 PM

i noticed the Philips automated video setup is pretty good when compaired to my DVE setup disc.
post #201 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikoo View Post

The firmware which will be fixing HDMI handshaking issues will be released on coming Monday. Are you talking about the last f/w update (Posted Date: 05/08/2007 Size = 16,989 KB)?
http://www.usasupport.philips.com/pr...=42PFL7432D/37

oops, I thought that one is out already.
post #202 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveliv View Post

i just bought this gem yesterday at BB. such a nice display! quick question, most of my devices are standard def, and the only HD devices i have are a Nintendo Wii, a progressive scan dvd player, and a plain xbox. Which video modes will allow the High Resolution option to be selected? As it is i can only choose from the Automatic, Zoom, two forced modes, and the widescreen option.

thanks,
steven

only devices that output 1080 will have the option for High Resolution (1:1 Pixel) option
post #203 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 03:15 PM

but why the hum ?
i had a vizio 42 it didn't hum .. this update did something probably .. Philips Tv can u confirm this hum issue is it ok or because of components workin hard
?
post #204 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox19 View Post

Well now I notice the line down the right side of the tv also....LOL. If you put it in "wide screen" mode instead of "high resolution" mode, it goes away though.
post #205 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Well now I notice the line down the right side of the tv also....LOL. If you put it in "wide screen" mode instead of "high resolution" mode, it goes away though.

You can push left or right (depending on what side of the screen the line is on) on the remote to move the position the screen correctly and get rid of the line. Also any reason on why i got ghosting on HD The Office (digital signal played off DVR)? I dont seem to see it on other programs.
post #206 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 05:06 PM

the only thing lacking on this display is a vga port, that would have been real nice, i guess i will still continue to use the s-video out on my laptop to play vids on it...

steven
post #207 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 05:55 PM

For those of you on the fence and are seriously considering this TV, here are some pics of the ambient lighting on.

Ambient lighting

It really makes the tv look sharp as well as the pixel perfect feature.

Syirrus
post #208 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 06:25 PM

How is this TV with Xbobx 360? Is the picture quality good? Does the ambilight feature work with it? Does it work well or is it nothing special?
post #209 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconos View Post

How is this TV with Xbobx 360? Is the picture quality good? Does the ambilight feature work with it? Does it work well or is it nothing special?

I think it looks fantastic with my 360 and the Ambilight is a great addition.
post #210 of 6891 Old 05-20-2007, 09:17 PM

ambilight is awsome. this tv is excelent. i only have one stuck pixel its not bad cause if you look at it from 2 ft wont be able to tell or see.. as far as the picture quality its extremely good. the only bad thing is that hdmi handshake issue. once that gets resolve it will be perfect.

i havent experience the black bar on the side or the humming after the update. i ll let you guys know if it does.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Philips , Philips 42pfl7403d 27 42 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page