Sharp D42U/D43U owners thread (32D42U, 32D43U, 37D42U, 37D43U, C3742U) - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 612 Old 04-15-2010, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I started this thread (including creating the FAQ in the first post) and I've never heard anything about a bad capacitor. Certainly it might be the case, perhaps in a tech bulletin put out by Sharp, but we've never seen it here.

Atlanta over-the-air digital TV reference table, now with Atlanta OTA FAQ:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16732147
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 612 Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC47 View Post

Ladies and Gentlemen -

We have not heard of any way to obtain or apply a firmware update.

Note: You MUST use a miniSD or SD card depending on the model.

(See back of the TV for a non-descript port that's covered by a plastic cap.)

I have both the firmware and the instructions upon request or you can look for D42UA123.zip or D42UA123.sdc (the binary file) online.

I was emailed the March 2008 ('C' version) of the firmware for free from a Sharp ASC, so I don't suppose it's that impossible to get it, depending on the attitude of the person providing it - in this case a manager who supports the idea that all firmware updates should be provided to customers upon request - my kinda guy.

The information for my current (non-updated) firmware is as follows:

Main Ver 1.20 (U 2007/05/24 1 A) <-- this is apparently the 'A' version
Monitor Ver 1.07
Boot Ver CFE-D42U 1.00 <-- note the D42U on a D43U set
Vmouse Ver --
EQ Data Checksum -- ROM
Hotelmode -- Off
POD - 000

I can't say this enough...

I VERY STRONGLY recommend plugging the TV into a UPS before attempting the flash. If the flash goes bad because of a power outage, well...you know the rest. It probably means having to bring it to an ASC and paying them. Better to spend the money now on a UPS than someone to do work you can do yourself.
post #603 of 612 Old 01-29-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks!

I tried googling for "D42UA123" and the only result was in Spanish which I don't speak. Even with the help of a translation engine I couldn't figure out how to get to the file. If you can provide specific instructions to get to it I'll link it up in the FAQ.

Which is here, the first post in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...27&postcount=1

post #604 of 612 Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 PM

[quote=ChrisC47;19918007]Thanks!

I tried googling for "D42UA123" and the only result was in Spanish which I don't speak. Even with the help of a translation engine I couldn't figure out how to get to the file. If you can provide specific instructions to get to it I'll link it up in the FAQ.

Which is here, the first post in this thread:

=====

UPDATE:

Please send an email to steve (at) vwebr (dot) net if you want the firmware file for the LC-37D(or 32D)43U(or 42U). I don't know of any other way to get it to you.

I flashed my TV with the new version 1.23 firmware from version 1.20 successfully last night. Hey, it didn't magically offer any new functionality! (Wasn't expecting it to, haha!)

You must use a 2GB or smaller SD card formatted as FAT16 in order to be successful. The version of Linux in the TV can only read FAT16 of the M$ filesystems.

There was a detail I found when I flashed it that I need to correct. While the filedate of the firmware file is from March 2008, the actual date of the version is 8/8/2007. What I had was from May of 2007 (version 1.20).

This is the information about the 1.23 version I received from the Sharp Authorized Service Center person who emailed the update to me:

The new firmware can resolve the following occurrences:

1. Picture and audio may not be present when using a Set Top Box (STB) via HDMI connection (480i signal selection).
2. The channel OSD may flicker on and off when TV recognizes no HDMI signal input.
3. Black levels may appear poor when the Sony PLAYSTATION is connected via HDMI.
4. The display may flicker when using PAL-N or PAL input signal via component or composite.

Note: After doing an exhaustive Google search -- the template for the main firmware files are D42UA### (starting with '120' for the numbers) and for
the monitor firmware D42UM### (starting with '107' for the numbers) -- I could find no later versions mentioned at all other than the one I was provided.

==========

INTERESTING SIDELINE:

Don't recall a mention of anyone having accessed the Public Menu (this is different than the Service Menu aka "Adjustment Process Mode"). This can be done with or without updating the firmware as above.

1. With the TV unplugged, hold down and <+VOL> (this is instead of and <-VOL> for the Service Menu/Adjustment Process Mode)
2. You will be prompted for a Public Mode password. The password is 027.
3. After a few seconds, the Public Menu will appear.
post #605 of 612 Old 03-02-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks ssybesma!

post #606 of 612 Old 04-24-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC47 View Post

Thanks ssybesma!

Glad to help.

Now if we can just figure out how to hack this file.

The file is in a GZIP format and expands to a slightly larger filename of D42UA123 which has an ELF header.

Clicking on that file opens up filenames 0, 1 and 2, which 2 having the vast majority of the code.

I tried a few disassemblers but no luck so far.

I would like to change some of the labels for the inputs (like Game, for instance, which is not one of the ones you can select).

The text for the labels does not appear in the file as a string, so my guess is that the ELF file is still compressed in some way.
post #607 of 612 Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 AM

Hi all! I need help, i have a Sharp Aquos LC-42D43U 42" LCD TV that has started showing a weird issue on the screen. Black colors are now showing up green and the RGB colors look like their gain is too high (ie:red has overpush to start showing pink in it and color bleeding). When i turn down the contrast and brightness the colors are still there like ghosts where the excess colors are. I will attach a picture to show you what i mean, I have access to the service menu and I am quite sure there is no hardware malfunction as i see it, it seems to be a RGB push or gain issue, however i am not a tv tech so i am no expert.

any help would be appreciated!!!

tad_sharpusa_black_messed_up.jpg 1530k .jpg file
post #608 of 612 Old 07-28-2013, 06:43 PM

Anyone ever get the firmware? I have the same issue as the guy above, and I cant get the firmware for anything.
post #609 of 612 Old 07-28-2013, 07:33 PM

This is what my tv is doing. Updating firmware had no effect.
post #610 of 612 Old 11-16-2013, 08:33 AM

Liked: 11
I just calibrated my set (LC-C3242U / Costco) after many years of ownership using the AVIA disc and a Panasonic DVD-S35 (480P) via Component. Previously I was using picture settings recommended by other users. I was surprised to find that my settings were way off for Brightness and Sharpness. Here is what I am now using:

OLD SETTINGS
OPC on (dim light viewing) / OPC off (day time viewing)
Backlight -4
Contrast +30
Brightness +4
Color -8
Tint 0
Sharpness -1
Color Temp med-high
Black Ext off
Range of OPC
Max -4
Min -16

CALIBRATED SETTINGS
OPC on (dim light viewing) / OPC off (day time viewing)
Backlight -4
Contrast +34
Brightness -1
Color -8
Tint 0
Sharpness +6
Color Temp med-high
Black Ext off
Range of OPC
Max -4
Min -16

Curious whether it is worth dicking around with firmware or factory menus. I'm pleased with the picture as-is.
post #611 of 612 Old 04-07-2014, 03:05 PM

Can you tell me the screw sizes required for the stand on the 37D43U?!  There should be 9 screws total. 

We have misplaced them and the sizes are not listed in the manual.  Would like to be able to go to the hardware store to get them.

Thanks.

post #612 of 612 Old 08-20-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssybesma View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by ChrisC47

Ladies and Gentlemen -

We have not heard of any way to obtain or apply a firmware update.

Note: You MUST use a miniSD or SD card depending on the model.

(See back of the TV for a non-descript port that's covered by a plastic cap.)

I have both the firmware and the instructions upon request or you can look for D42UA123.zip or D42UA123.sdc (the binary file) online.

I was emailed the March 2008 ('C' version) of the firmware for free from a Sharp ASC, so I don't suppose it's that impossible to get it, depending on the attitude of the person providing it - in this case a manager who supports the idea that all firmware updates should be provided to customers upon request - my kinda guy.

The information for my current (non-updated) firmware is as follows:

Main Ver 1.20 (U 2007/05/24 1 A) <-- this is apparently the 'A' version
Monitor Ver 1.07
Boot Ver CFE-D42U 1.00 <-- note the D42U on a D43U set
Vmouse Ver --
EQ Data Checksum -- ROM
Hotelmode -- Off
POD - 000

I can't say this enough...

I VERY STRONGLY recommend plugging the TV into a UPS before attempting the flash. If the flash goes bad because of a power outage, well...you know the rest. It probably means having to bring it to an ASC and paying them. Better to spend the money now on a UPS than someone to do work you can do yourself.
does anyone have the 42u firmware file available? Thanks
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Brand

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page