Sharp D42U/D43U owners thread (32D42U, 32D43U, 37D42U, 37D43U, C3742U) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 612 Old 05-25-2007, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys, post updated.

Atlanta over-the-air digital TV reference table, now with Atlanta OTA FAQ:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 612 Old 05-26-2007, 05:25 AM

Your summary post on this Sharp TV consists of known/suspected problems or limitations. How about any features or points where it may excel - versus other brands? Why would anyone should consider buying this model?
post #93 of 612 Old 05-26-2007, 10:33 AM

Most of it is nitpicking in regards of this set,there is no major bug/design flaw that made me take it back to the store,or any of the people posting in this thread,I think it's rare for a LCD TV model to be so well rounded.I looked at most of them and it came down t this set.

The PQ is excellent IMO,colors are accurate and vibrant including flesh tones,the selection of imputs is great,speakers are better than average,cabinet is nice to look at,...
post #94 of 612 Old 05-26-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I agree with king mark: it's actually a good set and on balance I'm happy with it. I did evaluate many other models and in fact came closest to buying a Toshiba 37HL67 or JVC 37X787 instead of this set, but was tipped towards the 37D43U for reasons I won't go into.

The larger problem is that flat panel haven't really matured to the point yet where all the tiny bugs are worked out, like the HD zooming problem. Basically once you live with any flat panel you're going to discover the problems with that set. In fact one factor for me to go with Sharp is that they long ago "bet the enterprise" on LCD panels and so I expected that they would have a more polished product (and I'm not saying they don't).

I'm a taxonomist by nature so I'm just inventorying the problems in the hope that they'll get fixed or someone discovers a workaround. At the very least it gives me a list of subtle things to look for in my next TV ... in 2009

I updated the post with some annoying volume/mute behaviors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 612 Old 05-26-2007, 04:17 PM

how would I got about changing my laptop resolution to 1360x768? When i try to change it, i cna only do 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1400x1500. I have a VGA connected from my laptop to the sharp, but i cant figure out how to get my laptop resolution to 1360x768. Its a 1.8 GHZ mobile P-4 Toshiba Satellite, with a 64 mb nvidia graphics, but I'm not sure how to access the nvidia graphics card itself.
post #96 of 612 Old 05-26-2007, 06:49 PM

Your allowed 1400X1500 and you can't get 1360X768?
post #97 of 612 Old 05-26-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtsl1 View Post

Good to see a thread like this for owners of D42U/D43U. I have the LC37D43U from Costco and I love it. While the Aquos remote has 1 input button to switch between inputs, I was happy to find that my harmony 880 remote database has discrete codes for inputs, allowing me to directly go to TV, Input1-Input5 and PC. I tested these and Input1-Input5 codes work fine, but for some reason, I can't get TV (InputTV) and PC (InputPC) to work. I got around TV input by programming it as Next Channel, becoz one of the posters mentioned that you can get to TV input from any other input by changing the channel. However, this leaves the PC input still unresolved. Anybody got this problem? How did you resolve it?

I am having the exact same problem with the 880...can't get to the PC input via any codes or settings...have to manually change the input...no big thing, but if you found a solution, please pass it on

Rogman
post #98 of 612 Old 05-26-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king mark View Post

Your allowed 1400X1500 and you can't get 1360X768?

ya...i read some specs from the toshiba website, and it seems that my laptop doesnt support 1360x768
post #99 of 612 Old 05-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Do these TVs have custom picture settings? User 1, 2, 3 or something like that, or just 1 set of settings?
post #100 of 612 Old 05-27-2007, 03:14 PM

i noticed the last few weeks that the price of this tv has actually gone up. best buy has the set (with there own custom model #) for $899. the place where i bought it locally for $775 3 months ago has it now for $849. wondering why this is??
post #101 of 612 Old 05-27-2007, 05:35 PM

Sale coming up on June 11 at Costco for $150 off the 32D43 set (their version #LC-C3242U).
post #102 of 612 Old 05-27-2007, 06:13 PM

32 inch model only or 37 inch too?

Costco Canada or US?
post #103 of 612 Old 05-27-2007, 06:36 PM

32" sharp US Costco in their Summer 2007 coupon savings book.
also 46" Sharp $400 off online only starting later in june.

I also notice in the Sunday paper ads, a new(?) model Sharp LC-32AV22U at BB. It has somewhat different input/outputs and appears to be lighter in weight than the 42D/43D. Is this another Asian mfg panel I wonder?
post #104 of 612 Old 05-28-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threemaples View Post

I am having the exact same problem with the 880...can't get to the PC input via any codes or settings...have to manually change the input...no big thing, but if you found a solution, please pass it on

Rogman

Another poster (Netcruzer) had indicated that Harmony support would have to be contacted to specially set up a pseudo discrete code (i.e. Input 5 or InputPC + Input + Input) since we can't program this on our own.

I have not contacted Harmony support about this yet since don't use my TV as a monitor.
post #105 of 612 Old 05-28-2007, 06:43 PM

I own the same Sharp aquos model but with different model number (LC32PX5M, here in asia)

Here's the problem: During scenes where there is a very bright background and dark foreground, the brightness or contrast fluctuates or shifts! I frequently notice this problem when watching DVDs in progressive mode.

What is causing this? I'm already aware of the black level enhancement, a feature that is disable in user mode. But this is a different problem entirely!

Please help!
post #106 of 612 Old 05-28-2007, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdalfonse View Post

During scenes where there is a very bright background and dark foreground, the brightness or contrast fluctuates or shifts! I frequently notice this problem when watching DVDs in progressive mode.

Read my post (link in sig below). There's a whole section in there about the dimming behavior of this set -- and how to defeat it.

post #107 of 612 Old 06-02-2007, 02:11 PM

Just got my Sharp 37d43u. According to my serial number it was produced in April, 2007. I have a question. The reason I got this model is because it had a flat black finish. I'm not really fond of the piano finish. I went and looked at this model at Sears and liked the design. However, I got mine and it has the piano finish. It is a different cabinet design than the one I saw at Sears. The one I saw had a frame where the screen was inset in the frame. This one has the screen flat against the frame like most flat panel TVs. Am I right? Has Sharp changed the cabinet design?
post #108 of 612 Old 06-02-2007, 02:26 PM

the 37d43U has a piano black finish.Im sure the one you saw at Sears was a different model.

Im not sure why everyone hates a piano black finish.Not once have I been preoccupied with unwanted reflections or whatever.A silver frame would bother me much more
post #109 of 612 Old 06-02-2007, 03:15 PM

I've seen some new 32" Sharp models, one appeared at BB and another I just saw today at BJ's wholesale. The one at BB was lc-32AV... the other one also had a different (not D) middle designation. Both models had a very inferior picture display. Not bright at all, sort of dull. I did also notice today the one at BJ's was assembled in Thailand and neither of these two TV's were labeled AQUOS - just simply Sharp TV's.

Probably leftover D40's relabeled and not using Sharp panels. Beware.
post #110 of 612 Old 06-02-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:

the 37d43U has a piano black finish.Im sure the one you saw at Sears was a different model.

Im not sure why everyone hates a piano black finish.Not once have I been preoccupied with unwanted reflections or whatever.A silver frame would bother me much more

I don't hate the piano finish. I have not had any reflection issues. It is just dust and fingerprints I hate. Maybe it won't be too bad...
post #111 of 612 Old 06-02-2007, 04:39 PM

I've tried two Sony models and both did very well at OTA signals. I have a Philips indoor antenna and both would pull in the stations very well. The Sharp seems to be weaker in the OTA area. It has trouble holding stations that I had no trouble holding before with the Sonys. Most of the time it will not lock on the stations at all. Anyone else experienced this issue? This will be an issue for me if I can't get my OTA stations. Also, when you search for channels, why does the Sharp show you that it has found a large number of stations, in my case 43, which I know can't be the case, it is more like 18, but when you cycle through the channels after it has finished, there are only a handful?
post #112 of 612 Old 06-02-2007, 09:09 PM

Picked up an HD-A2 from toshiba ..My movies finally arrived today and i must say, WOW the PQ is amazing on the 37d43u.It handle 1080i great without any hiccups so far.I am still waiting on my hd calibration disk so i cant even imagin what the PQ will look like once i have done that.
Any ? please let me know i will do what ever im able to to get you more info.
post #113 of 612 Old 06-03-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxplanner View Post

I've tried two Sony models and both did very well at OTA signals. I have a Philips indoor antenna and both would pull in the stations very well. The Sharp seems to be weaker in the OTA area. It has trouble holding stations that I had no trouble holding before with the Sonys. Most of the time it will not lock on the stations at all. Anyone else experienced this issue? This will be an issue for me if I can't get my OTA stations. Also, when you search for channels, why does the Sharp show you that it has found a large number of stations, in my case 43, which I know can't be the case, it is more like 18, but when you cycle through the channels after it has finished, there are only a handful?

Click for Article on OTA
This might be a good read...maybe. At least there is some info on how stations split channel signals into x.1, x.2, x.3, etc, which can therefore register as a channel but not send you any picture, etc.
post #114 of 612 Old 06-04-2007, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've tried two Sony models and both did very well at OTA signals. I have a Philips indoor antenna and both would pull in the stations very well. The Sharp seems to be weaker in the OTA area. It has trouble holding stations that I had no trouble holding before with the Sonys. Most of the time it will not lock on the stations at all. Anyone else experienced this issue?

I would LOVE to hear from people who have owned other ATSC tuners about what they think about this Sharp's capability to pull in OTA. This is the first comment I've seen about relative performance. OTA is critical for me. So far it's OK on this set; I continue to have problems with the local ABC affiliate, but I have no experience with other ATSC tuners. Reports needed! I will update the summary post accordingly.

Quote:

when you search for channels, why does the Sharp show you that it has found a large number of stations, in my case 43, which I know can't be the case, it is more like 18, but when you cycle through the channels after it has finished, there are only a handful?

I think I know what the problem is, because it threw me off too. When it is scanning for channels, it shows you which channel it's on now, and the channels that it has "found". The found display is NOT a counter! It's showing you the last valid channel number that it locked onto. In your example, 43 was the last channel that it had locked onto.

post #115 of 612 Old 06-04-2007, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilham1 View Post

Picked up an HD-A2 from toshiba ..My movies finally arrived today and i must say, WOW the PQ is amazing on the 37d43u.It handle 1080i great without any hiccups so far.

gilham1, here's a couple thngs you can look into for us:

1. let us know how you are connecting (HDMI, component, etc.) and try other connections to see if they work

2. what kind of zoom behavior does it allows for each connection?

3. If you can set the Toshiba for 1080p output, does the Sharp accept it? (to confirm another report that it does not)

post #116 of 612 Old 06-04-2007, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The reason I got this model is because it had a flat black finish. I'm not really fond of the piano finish. I went and looked at this model at Sears and liked the design. However, I got mine and it has the piano finish. It is a different cabinet design than the one I saw at Sears.

As other have posted, you were looking at a different model; this one has a piano black bezel.

Initially the gloss black bezel was disqualifying this set for me too, however Sharp made the bezel CURVED (convex), so you don't get a "real" reflection of the things behind you, you just kind of get a glossy effect. And in looking at it in the store I realized that it's flat (not curved) glossy black surface that is annoying. With the curved surface it's not annoying at all. I still would prefer a non-gloss / matte surface, but with the curved surface it's no longer a deal breaker.

Now, HD zoom, that would have been a deal breaker if I'd known about it then

post #117 of 612 Old 06-04-2007, 02:17 PM

I don't think other brands do HD zoom either since the black bars are part of the broadcast image.Last years Samsungs which I tried didn't do HD zoom
post #118 of 612 Old 06-05-2007, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't think other brands do HD zoom either since the black bars are part of the broadcast image.Last years Samsungs which I tried didn't do HD zoom

There are certainly TVs that can do this zoom, it's just that as of late 2006 / early 2007, it's an esoteric feature. See this separate thread that I opened to discuss it

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=851136

post #119 of 612 Old 06-06-2007, 06:40 PM

Can anyone recommend the correct Monoprice wall mount to use with this set?

Thanks!
post #120 of 612 Old 06-07-2007, 10:11 AM

Hey guys maybe you can shed some light on this for me. I recently bought a 37D43U and I just got a Cable HD PVR hooked up via Componet cables.

I have to say that my HD programming doesn't not look the greatest, some channels that show 1080i on my cable box is show in a 4:3 aspect and it's kind of grainy and then again some channels are crystal clear.

Does anyone know why this is?? also some 720P channels are coming out ugly and some are clear as hell..

Will connecting the cable box via HDMI work better? an I suppose to connect the cable box on input 1 or 2 or 3?? cause I have it on 3 as I don't see how it would make a difference.

as you guys can tell i'm not that techically advanced when it comes to video componets and so on.

Thanks guys!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Brand

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page