Sharp D42U/D43U owners thread (32D42U, 32D43U, 37D42U, 37D43U, C3742U) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 612 Old 06-25-2007, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm happy as heck. Sure, no native 1080p PIP, USB and such but for the COSTCO sale price of $649.00 it's great! I have seen 1080i and 1080p side by side and we we are not missing much at this price.
The QAM is good here too, and the cable box has the PIP handled. Nice little TV!
It's back up to $799.00 now.

Thanks, 2therock

My Setup

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 612 Old 06-25-2007, 04:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtsl1 View Post

Do you mean to say that you've tested a 1080p signal and the TV is not processing it? I am also not bothered by the lack of 1080p, but I just want to make sure that this isn't a flaw in my TV specifically.

Someone tested the set for 1080p with a Toshiba upscaling player that sends 1080p as well, and the set would not accept the signal. There are also some 1080p sets out there that do not accept the 1080p signal and simply upconvert all other signals to 1080p belive it or not.
post #183 of 612 Old 06-25-2007, 05:48 PM

In Canada,the 37D43U was 1299$ here at Costco, 400$ cheaper than Best Buy still sells it (for some reason this model is never on sale by much). I've never seen it again in a Costco since I got it. But compared to U.S. prices,especially online, it's still expensive. I wonder why we still pay a high premium in Canada when the canadian dollar is almost on par with the US dollar now.

and the question I'm really asking myself is this :I think the black and shadow details on this set are pretty good and I'm not sure what people are talking about when they are raving about Plasma level "deep blacks".Would I be blown away with the picture quality of a plasma with the highest contrast ratio on the market compared to this set,based on contrast ratio alone?Again I am not sure what I am actually looking for or if the difference would be obvious. Heck my 3 year old PC monitor only has 1:500 and the blacks seem black enough,or is my untrained eye missing something...
post #184 of 612 Old 06-26-2007, 10:40 AM

Liked: 13
Actually, the blacks on the Sharp were a big selling point for me. On many of the sets I looked at in this price range and below the blacks were fine...but were more grey (or worse, dark green). I am very happy with the blacks on the Sharp...which to me is much better than the competition in this price range. There are enough settings to satisfy most opinions of what "nice black levels" mean. Some sets also had a lot of settings but either did not make a big enough difference or created too many compromises in other aspects of the picture.

My brother has a Toshiba wide screen CRT which he brags about having "no compromises" in the blacks and about having a great SD picture. He came over the other day to see my new set. He turned and said...Shoot, I need to buy a new TV.
post #185 of 612 Old 06-26-2007, 06:04 PM

Yes,because I hope to keep this TV a long time.I just hope when I see a new LCD in a store in 2 years the picture won't be light years ahead of this one(I don't see how it could be,but I'm still a bit worried).i know some people already plan to replace it in a few years,but I would like to keep it as long as it doesn't break.
post #186 of 612 Old 06-27-2007, 09:48 AM

I'm in the same boat as you King Mark. I seriously doubt any future advances in LCD PQ would make me want to buy a new set. The only thing that would make me start looking is some new technology that makes a huge difference. If I start craving an even better picture...I'll get a BlueRay or HdDVD player. The absolute top of the line TVs don't really impress me much because any mid priced TV playing BlueRay or HdDVD material looks just as good to me.

I'm a musician and definately understand the "chasing rainbows" effect. We constantly switch setups looking for some unattainable sound that the audience doesnt hear anyway. It's all in our heads...our passion fuels us to find imperfections and then we start a cycle of buying new equipment. In the music world we call it a bad case of "GAS" ...."Gear Aquisition Syndrome."
post #187 of 612 Old 06-27-2007, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks sinkdrain for the long post. It prompted me to create a new section to lead off my collective-wisdom post: Consensus / Summary Opinions. We all seem to be generally happy with this set so I thought it was worth mentioning right up front. Some have read my summary post, with all the problems detailed, and thought they should avoid the set. Quite the contrary, it has its problems but we all seem to like it enough to keep it.

For those of you who have bought sets recently, what are the first 3 digits of your serial number? (704, 705, etc.) And if you don't mind, take a few minutes to follow the instructions in my post about determining the firmware version. If you have firmware newer than 1.14 ("main version") then we'll want you to check whether some of our annoying feature problems have been fixed.

Then we can all get on the "can I upgrade my firmware" treadmill

Atlanta over-the-air digital TV reference table, now with Atlanta OTA FAQ:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16732147
post #188 of 612 Old 06-28-2007, 05:38 AM

My Sharp came in yesterday, I hooked it all up and watched Hero DVD first thing. This DVD really does put every aspect of the TV to the test. The Blacks, Shadow detail, color saturation and it all looked great. However the reds were noticeably over saturated so I will have to adjust that and maybe the green because the yellows were slightly too yellow too. Saturation over all will need to be brought down.

I may need to load the older firmware on my Buffalo network dvd player so that it will upscale to 720p, maybe it will also be less noisy. Scenes with a lot of detail were fine despite the noise, as long as the colors weren't over saturated and this movie has some extreme colors. The DVD player however was outputing to 480p and the TV did the other scaling part, it all still looked very sharp and detailed though striaght out of the box.

I am considering converting this movie on my computer and resizing it to 720p to see how well it can do comparatively. I had also watch a little bit of Jericho in Xvid form and it looked even better, granted this show does not use extreme colors so nothing was blown out and it did not appear noisey at all and it was upscaled to 720p.

However I will say that either my Buffalo Linkstation has a blue wallpaper that has limited colors in its gradient or it appear that my set has some color banding! o0!! ><... I will have to run some more tests to find out for sure.
post #189 of 612 Old 06-28-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC47[SIZE=3 View Post

INPUTS[/size]

I'd add a section for OUTPUTS. This set only has AUDIO OUT. There is NO VIDEO OUT. I would NEVER have dreamed that TVs of this quality would eliminate recording the Video out of them!
This sucks, as the TV has built-in tuners for OTA and QAM, but I cannot RECORD anything directly from these tuners, because there is no Video Out. I know, if I have a set-top box, I can record from its outputs. But I am not using a set-top box. The great features of OTA and QAM tuners are somewhat diminished by this shortcoming.
Checking other LCD sets (in stores), this missing Video out appears to be a trend. Is it THAT costly to down-convert the signal to 480i, so a normal VCR could record it? Or to 480P or better, so you could use a DVD-recorder? What am I missing, here? Is this omission just to save $10 on each set, or what?
I have an older Phillps LCD with just an analog tuner, and it has the old yellow (RCA) Video Out and Red & White Audio Out jacks.
So now, when I buy my MAIN LCD, I'm considering just a monitor (and a separate OTA/QAM tuner), as I WILL care about recording.
post #190 of 612 Old 06-28-2007, 10:05 PM

Isn't that why DVD recorders and VCR's have their own tuners?

I've never really ran into a situation where I had to record directly from a TV's video output.I can only see this happening if you only rely on your OTA TV tuner for digital channels.

Do any TV's have video outs for their digital QAM tuners?I don't recall Samsung having any either.
post #191 of 612 Old 06-29-2007, 05:08 AM

This TV definately does not have video outputs but I can't really think of a reason it needs them. VCRs and DVRs have tuners in them already and that fact has made the video output on TVs obsolete.

...However, with the "switch-over to digital" coming there is a trend with the newer DVRs and VCRs. The ones with just an NTSC tuner are disappearing in favor of recorders that have either no tuner at all (using the TV's own tuners via outputs) or having multiple tuners.

There will always be recorders in the future with the needed tuners so this is not a problem. However, we will not be able to take advantage of the much cheaper prices of recorders lacking tuners.

The only real application I can see for needing a video output is if you wanted to watch your Sharp TV from a monitor located in a different room without having to get another cable box. But that's still messy as you still have to figure out the IR to change channels etc... when the source is in a different room.
post #192 of 612 Old 06-29-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchbit View Post

My Sharp came in yesterday, I hooked it all up and watched Hero DVD first thing. This DVD really does put every aspect of the TV to the test. The Blacks, Shadow detail, color saturation and it all looked great. However the reds were noticeably over saturated so I will have to adjust that and maybe the green because the yellows were slightly too yellow too. Saturation over all will need to be brought down.

I may need to load the older firmware on my Buffalo network dvd player so that it will upscale to 720p, maybe it will also be less noisy. Scenes with a lot of detail were fine despite the noise, as long as the colors weren't over saturated and this movie has some extreme colors. The DVD player however was outputing to 480p and the TV did the other scaling part, it all still looked very sharp and detailed though striaght out of the box.

I am considering converting this movie on my computer and resizing it to 720p to see how well it can do comparatively. I had also watch a little bit of Jericho in Xvid form and it looked even better, granted this show does not use extreme colors so nothing was blown out and it did not appear noisey at all and it was upscaled to 720p.

However I will say that either my Buffalo Linkstation has a blue wallpaper that has limited colors in its gradient or it appear that my set has some color banding! o0!! ><... I will have to run some more tests to find out for sure.

When you calibrate, I suggest setting the temp to the lowest setting and then, after calibrating, turning the temp up to med or med high. I found this toned down the reds and made the colors more realistic.
post #193 of 612 Old 06-29-2007, 01:44 PM

I just bought a Sharp LCD the LC37D43U model, and am curious to know what user A/V settings people have used. What settings they use for regualr TV, Gameing, and Movies (if the same or if at all different settings). Any help would be great to this newbie HDTV owner. Thanks.

Adam
post #194 of 612 Old 06-29-2007, 03:41 PM

I have a 42U model, but it's pretty much the same set. I first made sure to turn down the sharpness and the contrast below the half way mark, and in the Advance menu, turn color temp to mid-low or low. Then I did this in this order:

I set the opc range in advance menu to a range within 1-2 values. This way if left on, it will not dim the set from time to time when watching dark scenes. Then back in regular picture setting I did this:
OPC on
Backlight +16
Brightness +2
Contrast +30
Color -7
Tint -2
Sharpness 0
Then I put the color temp up to middle for better skin tone and whites (see what you like best). This really helped to tone down reds and give more realistic colors. This is my movie mode setting for a dark room.

I use my movie setting for most movies and some network stuff, depending on the signal. I also sometimes use these for a brighter picture or when playing games, etc.

Backlight +12
Brightness +2
Contrast +30
Color -18
Tint -4
Sharpness 0

I think I have the set set up with the above seetings, and when I watch a dvd, it's set for movie mode settings. There are other settings posted on this and other threads which you can search. Also I really suggest getting a calibration disk and doing it yourself, because you will know your preferences better than anyone else.
post #195 of 612 Old 06-29-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkdrain View Post

However, with the "switch-over to digital" coming there is a trend with the newer DVRs and VCRs. The ones with just an NTSC tuner are disappearing in favor of recorders that have either no tuner at all (using the TV's own tuners via outputs) or having multiple tuners

What outputs? There is no video output. There is no coax output. Only an audio output. Record some music, maybe, but not a show!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkdrain View Post

There will always be recorders in the future with the needed tuners so this is not a problem. However, we will not be able to take advantage of the much cheaper prices of recorders lacking tuners.

Exactly. I full-well know there exist options to BUY yet another device with an OTA or QAM tuner (or both). My existing VCR has an OLD tuner that does not pick up ANY digital stations, nor does it pick up OTA HD stations. Having these tuners built into your TV SHOULD remove the need for buying a DVD recorder that HAS to have said tuners built-in (at another $50 to $150 for these tuners). Or for buying an updated VCR (heaven-forbid!). It's just a shame that this VIDEO OUTPUT is disappearing.
Also, Kingmark, MANY other LCDs have stopped the VIDEO OUTPUT jack. It's not just our Sharp TVs.
post #196 of 612 Old 06-29-2007, 06:22 PM

Aren't they just trying to prevent the potential copying of "protected" HDTV content, just like they don't allow upscaling via anything other than HDMI - you might just copy this great looking program?
post #197 of 612 Old 06-29-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sordof View Post

Aren't they just trying to prevent the potential copying of "protected" HDTV content, just like they don't allow upscaling via anything other than HDMI - you might just copy this great looking program?

Maybe. So why allow DVRs on the market? Or, why remove the ANALOG (Yellow RCA) Video Out. That doesn't seem to be the reason - or not a GOOD one - to me.
post #198 of 612 Old 06-30-2007, 05:16 PM

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Sharp LCD (lc-37d43u). I am very satisfied with the TV. I also purchased an HD cable box to watch HD TV.

Here is my problem.

When my cable box is connected with component cable. Everything is OK. Once I change the connexion with an HDMI cable, i can see a very slightly jump from time to time in the picture. I first noticed that when i was watching a still image with line of text in it. I can really see the text jumping a little from time to time and as soon as i change to component, this image become very stable with no jump at all.

Can someone help me with this because i really would like to be able to use the HDMI connexion (my two other component are in use for other equipment).

Thanks in advance
post #199 of 612 Old 06-30-2007, 10:35 PM

Maybe the issue is with the cablebox.

I have an HDMI out on mine but the cable company recommended not to use it and use the component(!)
post #200 of 612 Old 07-01-2007, 07:36 AM

Is the component input as good as the hdmi one for the cable box ?

Thanks
post #201 of 612 Old 07-01-2007, 11:58 AM

I recently bought a Sharp LC-37D43U, and the option in video settings for OPC to have it on or off, is it better to have it off or on. And in the advanced settings what should I have the opc settings adjusted to? Right now its +16 and -16. If its off or on what should I have the backlight set too. Keep in mind my set is close to a set of windows in my living room where light seeps through. Thanks.

Adam
post #202 of 612 Old 07-01-2007, 01:09 PM

I purchased a LC-C3242U from Costco a few weeks ago. The set is installed in a small bedroom. While I am generally happy with it, I have these issues and would appreciate any comments.

1) The set smells of hot plastic or electronics when turned on for even a short while. The smell is strong enough that my wife complains about it. I've been hoping the smell would fade after a while, but so far not. Has anyone experienced this? (I had tried a Sony V32XBR2 and it did not have a noticeable odor problem--but had clouding so I returned it for that reason.)

2) Volume control has a range of 0 to 100. There is no noticeable change in volume above 50. That's probably loud enough for our small room in all but a few exceptional cases, but I wonder if this is standard behavior?

3) I have a Dish 522 DVR (SD, not HD) connected to the set. While SD display, with side bars, is quite good, zoomed display (as when watching letterboxed program) seems fairly coarse -- coarser than I remember the Sony display as being. What look like scan lines are quite visible.

At this point, the odor issue is probably going to doom this set for us. It doesn't bother me, but it does bother my wife.

Thanks for any comments.

Guy
post #203 of 612 Old 07-01-2007, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gumby View Post

Exactly. I full-well know there exist options to BUY yet another device with an OTA or QAM tuner (or both). My existing VCR has an OLD tuner that does not pick up ANY digital stations, nor does it pick up OTA HD stations.

It's actually worse than that, 2gumby. You can't buy a device that records OTA HD right now. All those cool HDD/DVD Recorder devices that were on the market a year or two ago? All discontinued with no replacement. The FCC has a mandate that all recording devices must have an ATSC tuner if they have an NTSC tuner (that is, any tuner at all). So since March there's actually nothing on the market, except for the Tivo Series 3, which is very expensive and huge overkill if all you have (and want) is your handful of OTA channels. This may get remedied by Christmas (I think Panasonic has some HDD+DVDrecord products coming) but then again it might be a sign of some sort of evil conspiracy with the content providers, a la the broadcast flag, analog hole, etc. ...

post #204 of 612 Old 07-01-2007, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Scharf View Post

1) The set smells of hot plastic or electronics when turned on for even a short while. 2) Volume control has a range of 0 to 100. There is no noticeable change in volume above 50. That's probably loud enough for our small room in all but a few exceptional cases, but I wonder if this is standard behavior?

Re 1, some have posted here about the smell and the consensus was that it was simple outgassing of new plastic. I recommend that you set up the device in a room with an exhaust fan (meaning lots of airflow past the device) for a couple days before giving up on it altogether.

Re 2, I have been unsatisfied with the top-end loudness of this set. I can't crank it up as loud as I used to be able to with my 2001 Sony CRT, loud enough for my wife to hear it in the next room. But I hadn't noticed that the volume doesn't do anything above 50. Mine goes from 0 to 60. Does yours have the same numeric range?

Re 3, I've been happy with zoomed-in letterbox SD content -- , that is, when I CAN zoom, i.e. when watching via one of the analog video inputs. We can't zoom at all when watching either a digital input (HDMI) or a digital broadcast (ATSC). Bah.

post #205 of 612 Old 07-01-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC47 View Post

I hereby present the "everything we know about the Sharp D42U/D43U series" thread!
INPUTS
.....Component input(s?): any problems with particular signals?
....HDMI inputs: ......

My 32" Aquos is a few months out of warranty and I've just purchased a Motorola HD PVR from Shaw in Vancouver, BC. This goes with my existing Panasonic DVR that doesn't do HD.

With these two boxes now I've discovered two interlocking problems which might be a defect in the monitor or it might be a problem in handshaking.

1) when connected via HDMI, the HD image loses its orientation when I switch from HD signal to analog signal and back to HD. The resulting HD signal is magnified and shifted significantly to the right, so there is a band of black on the left and the right-hand third of the image is off the screen. to correct I have to shift input to the TV, toggle the display mode, then return to to the Shaw HD input from the Motorola box

the Shaw cable tech said he has heard of this only one time before in 6 years and doesn't know the cause. He recommended switching to component input. that leads me to problem #2.

2) I can't seem to maintain two component inputs. The unit has input 1 and 2 for component, but when I have both my Panasonic DVR and the Motorola HD PVR feeding component signals to the TV, the first input shuts off. I can get them both working, but the next time the units are on, #1 is greyed out. This was never a problem because I didn't need two component inputs before, so I don't know whether this was a problem I had from the start, or whether something has gone haywire over time, and I'm only just discovering it.

Any advice/experience with either or both of these situations? thanks in advance.

Paul Belserene
post #206 of 612 Old 07-02-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:

Re 1, some have posted here about the smell and the consensus was that it was simple outgassing of new plastic. I recommend that you set up the device in a room with an exhaust fan (meaning lots of airflow past the device) for a couple days before giving up on it altogether.

I hope the smell goes away after a while. I plan to give it at least one month of use to see if that will fix the problem. I'll try running it continuously for several days. I hadn't thought of directing a fan at the set; I could do that.

Quote:

Re 2, I have been unsatisfied with the top-end loudness of this set. I can't crank it up as loud as I used to be able to with my 2001 Sony CRT, loud enough for my wife to hear it in the next room. But I hadn't noticed that the volume doesn't do anything above 50. Mine goes from 0 to 60. Does yours have the same numeric range?

My mistake--I wrote from memory rather than double checking the numbers. Yes, mine is 0 to 60. I find that volume changes little when moved above about the half-way mark.

Quote:

Re 3, I've been happy with zoomed-in letterbox SD content -- , that is, when I CAN zoom, i.e. when watching via one of the analog video inputs. We can't zoom at all when watching either a digital input (HDMI) or a digital broadcast (ATSC). Bah.

I'm glad that zooming SD works for you. This is not a serious problem for me. We're planning on dumping Dish soon anyway, so I soon won't have any SD signal to zoom anyway!

I have noticed that I cannot zoom when using HDMI input from my Oppo DVD player. So far I have had no desire to zoom DVD input. Is this restriction common to other HDTVs?

Another issue I've noticed concerns my Dish DVR. The HDTV takes about 10 seconds to turn on. After turning on the TV and the DVR, it takes perhaps 30 seconds before the DVR will respond to its remote. I'm puzzled about why connecting to HDTV via HDMI would block operation of the DVR for that long. Any ideas?

Guy
post #207 of 612 Old 07-02-2007, 10:26 PM

You should be able to test SD content with your analog connection to a DVD player. Zooming looks good to me and is desirable for many wide aspect ratios as stated in the manual. If you can't zoom through the HDMI input, maybe your DVD player can zoom the content?

My smeall went away after a couple of weeks. I thought it was the normal amount of hazardous chemical explusion one would expect.

Is lack of 1080p support/downconversion a potential problem? Won't a 1080p output device downsample according to the display?
post #208 of 612 Old 07-02-2007, 11:45 PM

I should mention, what I have just noticed, that my Aquos is actually a 32D4UJ, an earlier version than the 32D43U or 32D42U Not sure if that makes a difference with my HDMI handshaking problem or the problem using both component inputs.
post #209 of 612 Old 07-03-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbel View Post

I should mention, what I have just noticed, that my Aquos is actually a 32D4UJ, an earlier version than the 32D43U or 32D42U Not sure if that makes a difference with my HDMI handshaking problem or the problem using both component inputs.

Probably,since I can't even google that model.
post #210 of 612 Old 07-03-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Ladies and Gentlemen -

When fast-forwarding a videotape (VCR connected to composite input), the TV loses sync to the video and goes to black. I have to go back to playing at normal speed to see where I am in the tape. This stinks for fast-forwarding past commercials I'm hoping there's an advanced setting somewhere that I'll be able to tweak to get it to hold lock on the FF signal from the VCR. We watch a particular Show Daily (hint) and I really don't want to watch the ads for erection and fat loss pills over and over. Also, after the FF and going back to regular playback, the display can get stuck with jerky video and stuttering audio; pausing the videotape momentarily and then continuing playback seems to fix it.

I experienced the same loss of sync and black screen when fast-forwarding my VCR when connected to the composite input but I found a solution that works for me.

Setting the 3D-Y/C (Picture/Advanced menu) to Off (2D) did the trick on my LC-26D43U. This is the setting that is recommended for gaming but it seems to fix this problem.

I've also seen the problem where the video is jerky and stuttering after fast-forwarding and pausing briefly does seem to restore proper operation.

Doug
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Brand

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page