Sharp LC-32D7U screen turned red. Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-09-2007, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I couldnt find too much info on this lcd here on avs and figured i would turn to you guys since sharp has always been a problem. I am out of warranty by several months and all of the sudden the lcd screen turned red. All the signals come through from my inputs(twc and xbox 360 and htpc via hdmi)but they all have a red tint. I felt it was a backlight issue but sharp dispatch has no idea and told me they are going to send me sd card with firmware to update. I dont think this is a firmware issue and would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. By the way, this tv was sent to replace the first lemon i got a year earlier. So it seems i got a lemon to replace a lemon. Please, thoughts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-10-2007, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

has anyone ever had this happen with any brand lcd???
post #3 of 13 Old 05-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds like you lost a color in the video processing. The backlight cannot cause this. Connect it to a PC and run solid red, green, blue, black and white. This will show you what colors are not being processed correctly. It might be a simple gamut correction in the setup.
post #4 of 13 Old 05-11-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

i have it connected to a pc via hdmi and it only outputs my pc's signal in red with lines going through it. I dont get the lines from my cable box or from my 360. But everything comes through as red. Could firmware be a fix?
post #5 of 13 Old 05-11-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If it happens on all sources and only recently started to do it, I doubt that new firmware will help. Then again, it can't hurt.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-11-2007, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

i called a local repair center and they said it sounds like the video board is bad and they estimate it to be around 3-400. I was also told not to do a firmware update on my own as i would risk breaking the mainboard and tacking another 500 onto the damages. I called sharp and told them to send a tech to do it. I cant get over that they would tell me to do it on my own and allow me to risk that especialy when it may not resolve the issue.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-12-2007, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

You cannot "break" a video board with a firmware update but you can screw it up. If you erase the current program in flash memory and cannot sucessfully load in the new program, the set could be still-born. And who is this idiot you are talking to? How the hell do you damage a video board AND the "mainboard". There is only ONLY board inside the set.... the video board. The other thing inside is the backlight inverter and that cannot get wrecked. Go to someone who knows something.

Too bad the video board is going for $3-400. They cost about $35 at the factory.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-12-2007, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the responses. He didnt say it could brake the video board. He said it sounded like there was a problem with the video board. He also said that if i were to improperly apply the firmware update i could risk making the main board dead which would be an additional part and labor. Keep in mind this was a service center outside my area who couldnt even do the work for me so he had nothing to gain through misinformation. The one local place i contacted also told me it sounded like a video board issue and they said 4-600. I know the part may be cheap but as we know they like to rip you on repairs. Ill see what happens this week. If repairs end up being more than 3-400 i think i may be better off getting a new tv. Its just sad because this certainly wasnt a budget lcd and i did have another sharp lemon prior to this. Either way i think this will be my last sharp even though i feel they have great picture performance.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-12-2007, 08:29 PM

I agree. The pic quality on the sharps is fantastic but I wish they would QC their stuff better....
post #10 of 13 Old 05-12-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

it wouldnt hurt if they beefed up customer support either.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

There is NO main board and a video board. The video board IS THE MAIN BOARD. I still question your technical advisor.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-15-2007, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

ok so here is the update. The certified repair center picked up the tv today. The tech didnt even know how to do the firmware update. He spoke to sharp tech, even though he could barely speak english and they told him they need to replace the av unit and the main board. However they (sharp) dont stock the av unit so they will fix mine and put in a new main board. Im a bit worried about this remanufacturing idea. Im not sure thats a long term solution. Forget that this will prolly take a month at best even though sharp says how fast they can get parts to the repair center. My repair center is the pits. I just hope in comes back in same condition but works. I guess ill have to wait and see.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-17-2007, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

does anyone have experience with refurbed av units???
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page