post #2042 of 2068 Old 07-07-2010, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo87mi View Post

My email is: [deleted] Thanks

Folks, just a reminder that if you post your email like Matteo did, you're guaranteed to get a lot more spam. Spammers run robots that "harvest" email addresses from across the web. You're much better off sticking to private messages if you want to communicate with other members here.
post #2043 of 2068 Old 07-07-2010, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialskid View Post

is there a way to stop the dimming on credits?

If I remember correctly (I have a W3000), select game mode ON. Auto dim was created to mask any uniformity issues during a credit roll, I believe.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #2044 of 2068 Old 07-17-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post

Hi all

I am posting this for a freind that owns a kdl 46v3000 which is just over a year old. When the set is turned on the first time it has problems with the display, it has 3 horizontal thin white lines,cetain text is smeared on the screen. At times it will also have groups of thin white lines as well. I am goin to read through this whole thread but i figured i would post in hopes someone is familiar with this behavior.

Here's the rub, Sony said they would fix the set under warranty , which is good, the bad is we are 1600 miles from the nearest service centre. This means huge freight and sony wont cover any shipping. With some luck if its a common problem we will purchase a part and fix ourselves. To ship it out and then have it come back and not be fixed or the problem reoccurs is my friends concern.

Second choice is to get a service manual and do some trouble shooting though i am not sure we are qualified enough .

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. all commments more than welcome

I'm having the same problem here. Did anyone figure out fixes for this problem?
post #2045 of 2068 Old 07-24-2010, 07:47 AM

Did you folks know that Sony LCD TVs are actually made with either Sharp or Samsung LCD panels. I found this out when my Sony KDL46V3000 LCD TV panel failed less than a year out of warranty. I checked to see if just replacing the TCON pcb at about $49, would fix the single vertical red line problem in the middle of my display. I noted the part number for both the TCON pcb and the LCD panel was a Samsung part number. It turns out they must be replaced together, and the LCD panel costs more than the TV is worth.

I paid a premium for the Sony brand name believing it to be more durable than Samsung or Sharp. Therefore it would seem the smarter purchase for this Joe consumer would have been to buy lower price brand models and use the Sony premium difference to pay for the extended warranty. It turns out there is a pretty high failure rate in LCD panels, and they are not repairable.
post #2046 of 2068 Old 07-24-2010, 07:59 AM

As mentioned in my other post, my kdl46v3000 developed a single red vertical line in the middle of the display, and it seems to heat related as to when it appears. Sometimes it will take up to 3 hours after being turned on for the problem to appear, and it will be fine again if turned off for 30 min. or so.
I noticed that the manual control panel is right on the top center
of the TV and this blocks the heat ventilation, and likely causes a heated related failure.
post #2047 of 2068 Old 07-24-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe 22 View Post

Did you folks know that Sony LCD TVs are actually made with either Sharp or Samsung LCD panels. I found this out when my Sony KDL46V3000 LCD TV panel failed less than a year out of warranty. I checked to see if just replacing the TCON pcb at about $49, would fix the single vertical red line problem in the middle of my display. I noted the part number for both the TCON pcb and the LCD panel was a Samsung part number. It turns out they must be replaced together, and the LCD panel costs more than the TV is worth.

I paid a premium for the Sony brand name believing it to be more durable than Samsung or Sharp. Therefore it would seem the smarter purchase for this Joe consumer would have been to buy lower price brand models and use the Sony premium difference to pay for the extended warranty. It turns out there is a pretty high failure rate in LCD panels, and they are not repairable.

Yes. Sony does not make its LCD panels. My new KDL-52EX701 has a Sharp panel. Thankfully, Sharp's banding issues are /were confined to Sharp's shoddy product line.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #2048 of 2068 Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

While panel is an important part of TV, the electronics by Sony are also important.
post #2049 of 2068 Old 07-30-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewsgrp View Post

While panel is an important part of TV, the electronics by Sony are also important.

This is true. Many variables such as video processing software are just as important.

post #2050 of 2068 Old 08-03-2010, 03:29 AM

alright, i'm hoping this thread isn't dead by now as this tv is now considered an old model (i have an kdl40v3000)

the thing is, i've been searching the internet for a problem i have with this tv using it as a monitor

i've been using it for over a year with the vga input and it looked awesome, everything was alright, but lately with using photoshop and such i've found the 1360x768 (especially the resolution height ofcourse) to be a limitation

as the vga input is limited to 720p resolution i had to get me hdmi cable setup
so i got a proper high speed hdmi cable and tried 1920x1080

the trouble here is: normal use of windows (using win7) while browsing and such looks atrocious, i've tweaked the tv settings so far so it's usually fine, but dark blue text gets extremely blurry and red text, especially on black and gray backgrounds has dirty ghosting effects, also, when i select text or move a window it affects almost half of the screen next to it and small text gets al jumpy

i've tried 3 different gfx cards a geforce 9800gt, the onboard g45 intel and now a radeon hd5550, the geforce looked the worst by far, but the other 2 i can't wrap my head around why it looks so dirty still, i've tried everything, disabled all the enhancements on the tv, put it on full pixel mode, tried underscan on gfx card and wide scaling, color temperatures, sharpness settings, everything, and i can't get red text on dark backgrounds to not smear/ghost and dark blue text sharp

as my tv is a pal model, i appear to not have some settings i've seen in the calibartions some people swear by as baseline, however they are most likely pitched towards blu-ray and dvd and gaming on consoles rather than using it as a monitor for windows, for instance the picture setting with a 0-100 value orso, isn't there, no white balance either, i know how to get to the "secret" menu with the remote combinations to set individual rgb values, but ofcourse i shouldn't mess with that too much as it affects too much other stuff in the overal colors

even when i use 720p 60hz on hdmi, it looks fine, i can use the tv to upscale the half size and it's perfectly fine like the vga was, but when i put it higher the blurry blues and ghosty reds start popping up, it's like the tv uses some preprocessiong anti-aliasing algoritm on its native resolution even with all enhancers off and sharpness on 0, any sharpness over 7 will give everything auras so between those values i've tried all combinations with no avail, also tried numerous settings on the gfx card utilities for both the ati and the nvidia

however i'm hdmi->hdmi hooked up, i didn't try dvi->hdmi yet, but as it's pin compatible and basically the same it shouldn't matter, should it?

is this just a quirk in the tv, and is it unable to show 1080p in windows without somehow preprocessing the input stuff as it gets jumpy and really picky with readability with the same font and text in other color ranges?

i assume there's nothing much i can do about it and at least the pal version of this tv makes for a pretty lousy monitor on resolutions higher than 720p, but as it's a full hd tv, shouldn't native actaully look waaay better, putting it on zoom with hd-ready settings on graphics looks awesome on text mode so appearantly the internal upscaler in the tv is top notch, but it's like it tries to scale even when it's on it's native 1080p causing quirks on basically the whole screen area to occur whenever something changes color or animates, obviously in games or full screen video it isn't really much noticable as it's moving all the time and all, but for windows use it really looks bad
also tried all kinds of font settings, no cleartype, other cleartype settings, i did notice though, pulling down color on the gfx card (for nvidia it's called digital vibrance) would cause it for the red to even out, but colors became so flat i couldn't fix that back with tv settings, really tried everything i could find on both software and tv end

is there actaully some firmware (yep, eu so i can't get jack from sony) or settings in that sneaky menu i could use to bypass this odd behaviour?
or does this one just make a crappy monitor on anything over 720p?
i know that menu kills warranty but hey, i'm past that anyway

oh and... sorry about the wall of text, but i wanted to get into detail, as it was really hard for me to find any information on this , at least for this specific model , found a thing or 2 but people didn't go into detail about that much so the answers i found, if any, were nothing i hadn't tried yet by then

if anyone has tried this as a 1080p resolution computer screen, noticed this kind of stuff, and foudn a way to fix it, or at least greatly reduce it, i think i'll have to fiddle with individual colors somewhat in order to fix the red a bit, but the blue stays blurry all the way

thanks in advance
post #2051 of 2068 Old 08-04-2010, 10:16 AM

I hook up my laptop through a DVI -> HDMI cable to my W3000 ( similar model to yours) and the Windows desktop is super sharp at 1080p. The text is very readable and I have no excessive motion artifacts when I move windows around etc. I have game mode on for this input.
post #2052 of 2068 Old 08-04-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsmesa View Post

I hook up my laptop through a DVI -> HDMI cable to my W3000 ( similar model to yours) and the Windows desktop is super sharp at 1080p. The text is very readable and I have no excessive motion artifacts when I move windows around etc. I have game mode on for this input.

thanks for your reply
the model might be almost similar to mine, maybe ntsc models of my particular tv do, but mine has no game or movie mode, i've read about how game mode takes away in between frame smoothing so 1080p/24 on some xbox 360 games and such don't lag by waiting for the next frame to make a tweening kind of effect, however, i don't think this tv has that function at all, i'm actaully pretty convinced, it's also very discomforting to know eu customers can't get firmwares adn very likely mess up on the ntsc versions, and there are some significant differences within the same models for pal/ntsc versions..
post #2053 of 2068 Old 11-27-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewsgrp View Post
Are you kidding me! By your analogy, Sony owes me for the value of the t.v. with
a defective Samsung lcd panel but with some Sony components still working. They
quoted $1800 in repairs. Nobody in their right mind would actually spend this to repair a
t.v that you could now buy for $1000, 18 months later.

As I said before, don't waste your money on Sony, but be sure to buy
the extended warrantee on what you do buy.
post #2054 of 2068 Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you kidding me! By your analogy, Sony owes me for the value of the t.v. with
a defective Samsung lcd panel but with some Sony components still working. They
quoted $1800 in repairs. Nobody in their right mind would actually spend this to repair a
t.v that you could now buy for $1000, 18 months later.

As I said before, don't waste your money on Sony, but be sure to buy
the extended warrantee on what you do buy.
In reality, 40" 60 Hz, CCFL backlit LCD TVs are about $500 and under this Xmas. If you got a bad Samsung panel, that's a shame but it's either Samsung or Sharp as far as panels go.

post #2055 of 2068 Old 11-29-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

In reality, 40" 60 Hz, CCFL backlit LCD TVs are about $500 and under this Xmas. If you got a bad Samsung panel, that's a shame but it's either Samsung or Sharp as far as panels go.

You should read more carefully before you respond, I quoted the cost of the t.v. 18 months after it's original purchase, not the current cost.

Also Sony should be held criminally liable for misrepresenting these t.v.s as as their own, when in fact they are for all practical purposes Samsung and Sharp rebranded with Sony logos.
post #2056 of 2068 Old 11-29-2010, 08:31 PM

this was my very first LCD tv. And still working amazingly well after 3 years.
post #2057 of 2068 Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

You should read more carefully before you respond, I quoted the cost of the t.v. 18 months after it's original purchase, not the current cost.

Also Sony should be held criminally liable for misrepresenting these t.v.s as as their own, when in fact they are for all practical purposes Samsung and Sharp rebranded with Sony logos.

And you should research more before you keep complaining. Rebranded Tvs? You know nothing then...
post #2058 of 2068 Old 11-29-2010, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-It-Yourself View Post

And you should research more before you keep complaining. Rebranded Tvs? You know nothing then...

EXACTLY, and Joe 22 should read my comment more carefully. His $1800 TV, now claiming it's worth $1000 is living in a dreamland. A 60Hz TV in the 40" size is by no means worth that much. Maybe even dipping below the $400 price point. 120hz, 240hz, 3D, LED Edge Lit, LED Dynamic Edge and LED Local Dimming technologies have blown CCFL away. There are few panel makers which is a known fact. When you buy Windows based PCs, which I do not, components are from everywhere. The fact that Sony buys panels from Sharp or Samsung has little to do with the finished product.

post #2059 of 2068 Old 12-02-2010, 02:30 PM

Hey guys, I have had this TV for a few years now and recently its starting making these clicking sounds, even when its off. Its starting to get really annoying. It doesn't seem to affect the picture quality or anything but its startying to worry me! Any ideas of what it could be? and how to possibly fix it?

thanks!

Mike
post #2060 of 2068 Old 12-02-2010, 07:08 PM

I've had my 46v3000 for 3 years and it's still perfect. It's going to my bedroom next week and being replaced in the living room with a Sharp lc60e88un. I love my v3000 though. It's a great TV.
post #2061 of 2068 Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 PM

Well, add me to the list of people experiencing a thin vertical line in the display. For me it's actually two vertical lines about 3 inches apart from each other on the right side. One is red and one is yellow. The yellow one goes away after about 5 minutes, but the red doesn't go away at all.

Fortunately, it came with a two year warranty through the store plus extended another one year by my credit card. I'm sure I'll have to go through a real painful process in getting my money back, but had this of happened a month from now, I'd be SOL.

What bothers me the most is that I've got a flat screen LCD computer monitor that is at least twice as old as the Sony TV and I've never had a problem with it. Sorry Sony, might have to try out another brand for my next TV.

Jon
post #2062 of 2068 Old 03-24-2011, 04:29 PM

hello,

i joined this forum a few days ago for the sole purpose of getting info on my recently purchased KDL-40V3000. I purchased it for dirt cheap, but it came with no base stand. I have searched all over and found that the part is no longer made by sony. can anyone point me in the direction of one? PM me if you have one and are interested in selling it. I hope people are still on this thread, i know it is pretty old by now. thanks.
post #2063 of 2068 Old 06-15-2011, 10:36 AM

My Two Cents:

Recently my Bravia KDL-46V3000 started displaying picture issues that range from 2/3’s of the screen being dark and muddled, to vertical red, green and black lines across the entire screen.
These symptoms appear intermittently but frequently and when they do appear, it takes a power cycle (on\\off) to correct. And even with that it will most likely reappear within a few minutes.
The TV was purchased 8\\17\\2008 so well out of warranty I know. But it is still very disappointing that the TV basically died in just 34 months of what may be at best 4 hours average use a day. I have researched this issue online and have found that this same problem (bad T-CON board or LCD panel or both) is fairly common in Sony LCD’s and has resulted in hundreds of complaints and various ill received remedies (replacing with refurbished units that over time exhibit the same problems as the original) that fail to adequately address the problem. The most logical conclusion is that the LCD panels and controller boards are defective or badly engineered or both.
The Sony brand used to mean quality and I have had excellent Sony CRT televisions that were the reference standard. What happened?
After looking into this particular issue online, I don’t think I will ever purchase another Sony TV and will caution others from doing so. $1,200 is just too much to spend every three years on replacement TV’s.
post #2064 of 2068 Old 07-06-2011, 01:34 PM

I know the odds are slim but I am wondering if anyone has the base/stand for one of these units. I picked one up cheap but it has no base, only a wall mount. If you have one laying around and would part with it reasonably please let me know. Thanks.
post #2065 of 2068 Old 12-17-2011, 07:50 AM

Hello. I had my 40V3000 hooked up to a PC via D-SUB and the panel would turn off whenever the PC ordered it to sleep or went into sleep mode itself.
Last week I built a new rig and connected it to the TV via HDMI. Now the panel stays on all the time. No matter which HDMI connection I use, or if it gets any signal at all. The screen will turn black but the backlight will remain on and show me the selected input. I have to turn it off using the remote.

Of course, being the HTPC something I use most of the time for music, I find it disturbing to have to turn the TV on and off by hand every time I look for a song. I wonder if I'm missing any menu option. I've already tried the power saving at low, high and screen off. The 1st and 2nd do nothing and the 3rd turns the screen off regardless of the video input.

Thanks in advance.
post #2066 of 2068 Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 AM

Almost 6 years and still going strong. !!!!
post #2067 of 2068 Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 AM

Our V3000 has been through 5 apartments with our daughter through college and now it's back home and mounted to her bedroom wall. Still working fine, but it definitely is thicker than our newer "flat screens". So, this get's the durability award for surviving college parties and moves. I wish the PS3 was as durable, since it now seems have its video out problems. But we've also had both for about 6+ years and that's not bad for electronics.

---
post #2068 of 2068 Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 AM

Hello,

Sorry the following is so long.

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40V3000 LCD TV that is not working properly. I am hoping someone will be able to advise what the problem might be and what PCB to change out. I am also hoping hard that the problem is not with the LCD panel itself.

As you can see from the pictures, there is a vertical band or bar effect going on that is a little less than 3.5” wide. This seems to indicate that one of the 10 (there should be 10 along the top as the display is about 34 7/8” wide) driver sections is not operating properly.

I applied signal through S-video input 1 and component video input 1 and both inputs had the same problem. I did not check the other inputs with signal, but I did cycle through the remaining inputs (with no video signal), and the vertical band was obvious on all inputs. Audio is fine on the inputs I applied video to. Audio was not checked on the other inputs.

The picture quality within this vertical band seems fine, but seems to be out of time or sync with the rest of the picture and thus produces two images. Not a ghost image as it is generally known, but two distinct, sharp, and clear images to describe it as best as I can. There is also a fine horizontal line at the extreme top right of the display that goes from the right edge of this vertical band to the outer edge of the display, but this is not nearly as annoying as the vertical band, and if I have to live with this, I will.

I changed out the T-Con board, but there was no difference to the problem and the band location remained at the same position on the display. I also removed the LCD panel peripheral metal bezel to check for TAB (Tape Automated Binding) failures by gently pushing on the TAB associated with this cell (if “cell” is the correct word) while the set was running, but that made no difference to the display. I also gently pushed on the remaining TABs, and that made no difference either.

The two ribbon cables from the T-Con board output were inspected and were found to be seated properly with no signs of overheating or other issues. The T-Con's LVDS input cable was also inspected and found to be seated correctly. I tap-tested all the boards and cables to check for bad solder joints and sub-standard cable connections, but that made no difference as well. Finally, I performed a power reset by turning on the set, holding down the remote's up arrow button, and then momentarily pressing the power button on the TV. That did not help either.

It seems to me that because the picture within this approximately 3.5” wide vertical band region is fine, that there should not be a problem with the LCD panel itself, but some sort of timing issue with the drive to this cell. Maybe bad capacitors in the driver???

Please inform me if my post here would be better served on another thread instead of this one.

Thank you and I hope to get this resolved as painlessly as possible....
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page