Official Samsung LN-TXX61F/65F/66F Owner's Thread III - with *updated* first post. - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
zoman504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
from what people have been saying, it sounds like the 1008 board is they key, but i think ill wait til people can for sure announce that they dont have any issues with them before calling and getting the board replaced.

LG 55LHX
PS3 60gig | HTPC (building now) | WDTV | AT&T UVerse
ATT UVerse
Denon 1712 receiver | JBL 190's, 130's, and 120c
zoman504 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Member
 
orangedrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post

Orangedrone, You must be the most unlucky person alive because I think you are the only person on this site with a 1002/1005 combo that has issue. You schedule a tech visit yet?

I doubt it.. I'm swapping for the 5265 now. Cause they went on sale at my local BB so I basically got it for like just a couple hundred more then I spent on the 4665.. It comes this Saturday so I'll see how that one works...

-O
orangedrone is offline  
post #543 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Norse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedrone View Post

I doubt it.. I'm swapping for the 5265 now. Cause they went on sale at my local BB so I basically got it for like just a couple hundred more then I spent on the 4665.. It comes this Saturday so I'll see how that one works...

-O


Hmm...I may just follow your lead...an extra 6 inches diagonal would be nice. hehe

Samsung 4665f 1028/1008 flawless
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
Norse is offline  
post #544 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Norse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok, for those wondering about the glare on the 4665f and the 5265f. Here is my condos tv section. It will give you an idea of my windows. While I do see reflections if I look for them, the tv is bright enough that they dont cause me any issues.



I will try to get a shot of the tv and put it in here as well....but you can see those windows arent too small. actually 70" wide and 60" tall each of them.

Samsung 4665f 1028/1008 flawless
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
Norse is offline  
post #545 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Chris NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post

ok, for those wondering about the glare on the 4665f and the 5265f. Here is my condos tv section. It will give you an idea of my windows. While I do see reflections if I look for them, the tv is bright enough that they dont cause me any issues.

Perfect. My setup is similar with the exception of the set being inset in a wall unit which gives it more shielding from the outside light.

For some reason the glossy screen appeals to me. I guess growing up with CRTs engraved in my mind that TVs should have reflective screens.

!
Chris NYC is offline  
post #546 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
WPWoodJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Villanova, PA
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

WPWoodJr: Ok, I went to www.amazon.com, and when I clicked on the TV, it shows the description and then you click on the price (2999) and it comes up saying the best price from J&R. Where did you go to get the "Amazon" direct product? Also, for those of you who have purchased, did you contact them first to find out if you were getting the correct firmware/board or whatever?

I bought the 4661f. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...565713-8835907

List Price: $3,499.99
Price: Click here to see the price (Why don't we show the price?)
Samsung LNT4661F 46" 1080p LCD HDTV


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


List Price: $3,499.99
Price: $2,257.28 FREE SHIPPING
You Save: $1,242.71 (36%)

Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
WPWoodJr is offline  
post #547 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Norgster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post

ok, for those wondering about the glare on the 4665f and the 5265f. Here is my condos tv section. It will give you an idea of my windows. While I do see reflections if I look for them, the tv is bright enough that they dont cause me any issues.



I will try to get a shot of the tv and put it in here as well....but you can see those windows arent too small. actually 70" wide and 60" tall each of them.

i like your stand, will the remote signal go thru the cabinet or do need to keep the doors open? where did you get it?
Norgster is offline  
post #548 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
WPWoodJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Villanova, PA
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazebo View Post

You can vastly improve SD by "upconverting" it.

I use my HTPC with an analog TV tuner card as an upconverter. I record analog programs in medium quality (4mbps constant bitrate) mpeg2 and play back on the HTPC set to output 1080p. The PQ of course cannot be compared to HD, but I don't see the prominent pixelation that you normally see on an HDTV set using their built-in upconverting processor. I attribute this better SD PQ to better hardware (TV card with MPEG2 encoder; nvidia purevideo hardware mpeg2 decoder/deinterlacer). I believe you can get the same results when playing back live TV.

My Comcast cable box does the upconversion to 1080i for me. Downside is, 720p signals get converted by the cable box to 1080i, then the TV converts to 1080p, but I lose frames in the process.

There is no "pass-through" option in the cable box unfortunately, eg to let 720p through as 720p and 1080i through as 1080i. I'm thinking of using the QAM tuner on the Samsung to pull the signals directly off the cable but then I'll lose the directory info provided by the cable box.
WPWoodJr is offline  
post #549 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Member
 
method404's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Norse,

Thanks for posting your photo it should help some people, but the angle of incidence you have with your setup would lead to minimal glare issues. If your windows were in front of your TV (behind your couch ... or even slightly off-center and behind,) I think you'd have a very difficult time seeing the picture due to the reflectivity in daylight. The light currently is hitting the TV surface at a very acute angle. The closer to a right angle you get, the worse the glare.

In my case due to my apartments cable outlet location, I'm limited to where my TV goes and have windows directly behind where I watch tv from. At night or when I'm able to control lighting, this is a non-issue. During the day (even with blinds drawn) I can see detailed reflections on the viewing surface where light is sneaking through he blinds.

I'd still like to hear peoples opinions on the 4661 in comparison to the 4665, especially from people who have personally owned both. When I've viewed them in-store and view from an angle where I can see the reflections of the store lights, the 4665 has an almost mirror-like quality, where the 4661 you can't see any detailed reflections,just a diffused-light due to the matte surface. This diffused lighting on the 4661 could possibly "wash out" the picture some, but it can't be nearly as distrating as seeing detailed sharp reflections on the viewing surface of the 4665.
method404 is offline  
post #550 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Member
 
Topsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's mine too... 4665F and the glare really isn't an issue. I find the sides have more glare. When the TV is on, it's hard to notice glare at all. I have windows all along the right side (part shown in picture) and I just turn close the blinds and turn em 90° usually. My 36" Xbr400 tube has way more glare as did my 46" wt510.

Topsy is offline  
post #551 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
 
santiagodraco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post

ok, for those wondering about the glare on the 4665f and the 5265f. Here is my condos tv section. It will give you an idea of my windows. While I do see reflections if I look for them, the tv is bright enough that they dont cause me any issues.



I will try to get a shot of the tv and put it in here as well....but you can see those windows aren't too small. actually 70" wide and 60" tall each of them.

This illustrates what I was talking about in an earlier post. Reflections really are not that noticeable if they are on an angle to the viewer, like in your shot. If they are directly behind you they have a much greater chance of showing up. Also, the brightness of these sets is good enough to wash out any ambient reflections as well.

I'm pretty thrilled with my 65 and my windows are very similarly placed to yours.
santiagodraco is offline  
post #552 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Senior Member
 
dkwong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by david09 View Post

Backlight varies. Backlight value of 1 to 5 depending on the content I'm watching (and time of day). DNIe off. Black adjust high, Dynamic contrast low, Energy save auto, HDMI low. Also tried fiddling with the gamma with very little improvement. Currently at -1. xvYCC off.

This is why you have so much black crush. I have my black adjust and dynamic contrast both set to off. Anything else introduces black crush.
dkwong is offline  
post #553 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
andydumi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10



Heres another setup, and I am seeing hardly any glare, even though there are more windows behind where the picture was taken from... When the TV is on and theres movement, its perfectly fine. The TV edges though have some glare at certain times of day ( something we call the "10:00 am glow").
andydumi is offline  
post #554 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Newbie
 
sk4665's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am novice to this area. I have a few questions:

1. How is the display on 4665 with XBOX ( NOT 360)?

2. How do the SD channels look like? Are they viewable? We cannot get a Dish.

3. How do the dvds look with a regular dvd player(without an upconvert dvd player)?


Thank You
sk4665 is offline  
post #555 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Member
 
danchee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I returned the 4066F to BestBuy due to HDMI drop out once in a while with a Samsung HD841 DVD player (DVI out). It was also $700 more than the 4065F with difference being just the look (I couldn't find any difference in settings or picture quality).

So I bought a 4065F from Electronics-Expo from New Jersey through Amazon. Delivered last Wednesday and I haven't experienced any drop outs yet. Although I've only been watching DVDs 2-3 hours each session. I will get the firmware versions when I get home tonight and post it but if I recall correctly it was a March 07 firmware. Don't remember the board version though. The DVI cable I'm using is the one that came bundled with my Dell 2001FP monitor and a el cheapo DVI adaptor from Merit Line (~$4.99).

This set has a slight pillaring issue but is very very hard to notice unless you have a completely black screen. Even then it's so slight that it's barely there until you stare at it in pitch darkness looking for it. There's also a similar amount of clouding only in the center of the screen that is hardly noticeable. Tried taking a picture, but it couldn't capture the leaked light. Think of it as a game of pong, 2 pillars on each end with a big pong ball in the center

SD picture is too soft and not as clear as viewing on a regular CRT screen. The source is a DirecTV R10 DVR. Planning on getting HD, but I haven't been able to figure out what I actually need for HD with DirecTV to future proof it. Some people are saying the current crop of HD DVR won't work when DirecTV launches more sats for new MPEG4 HD channels. And the CSRs can't tell me which dish do I need, 3LNB? 5LNB? How many leads from the Sat?

Upconverted DVDs were beautiful (>2001 DVDs. <2001 DVDs are slightly grainier but nothing close to being as bad as the DirecTV source). If you use 16:9 screen size with the HD841, there's a slight amount of overscan. Set the TV to use JustScan for full size picture. This was detected with my friend's AVIA DVD calibration disc.
danchee is offline  
post #556 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
ChristianZane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A setup like that is fine because the ambient light isn't going to cause issues as you can't see the windows in the reflection if you sit in front of the TV. Now if you pulled up a chair to right of your couch for someone to watch it they wouldn't be able to see much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post

ok, for those wondering about the glare on the 4665f and the 5265f. Here is my condos tv section. It will give you an idea of my windows. While I do see reflections if I look for them, the tv is bright enough that they dont cause me any issues.



I will try to get a shot of the tv and put it in here as well....but you can see those windows arent too small. actually 70" wide and 60" tall each of them.

ChristianZane is offline  
post #557 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
komari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant52 View Post

Just received my 5265F on Sat cable co has not been here yet so just have it hooked it via reg cable. No HDMI hookups yet but by tuesday will have them in and will hook up my whole Home Th system I did purchase the new Toshiba X2A will see how that looks, one point I would make is camera's on different shows that broadcast in 1080P vastly different , watched three shows on channel 7 all 1080p first show was so so but the other two were outstanding. Will give an update in a couple of days.

Yes - cameras used especially in sporting events are sometimes not all HD. I didn't think that would be the case in regular shows, but could also be possible with studio vs field shots perhaps? However, I don't know of any broadcasts in 1080p?

As for SD content on these sets, I think it all depends on the source (both cable provider and station). After tweaking the settings in Movie mode and using the TV scaler I have no problems with SD. Actually looks better than my 27" CRT TV, but I only have the 4061F so maybe it would be different for folks with the larger sets. I did not have luck with having the SA8300 STB do the upconversion to 1080i as the results were terrible, so have it output native resolution to the TV (480p/720p/1080i). However, I have to stress that Movie mode gave me the best results. At first I thought standard was better because I could get rid of the yellowish tinge in movie mode, but after using Cnet's white balance settings I could get movie mode using "Normal" for color tone to work. Use Warm1/2 for DVD viewing, but doesn't work for cable box...

To the guy who asked how to get 1080 signals via composite(?) - I think that is impossible. Has to be HDMI or component connections...
komari is offline  
post #558 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Member
 
Norgster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by komari View Post

To the guy who asked how to get 1080 signals via composite(?) - I think that is impossible. Has to be HDMI or component connections...

opps, i did say composite in my previous post. i did mean component cables. my tv info reads 480p when im using component cables with my samsung dvd-1080p7 upconverter. manual says 480p is max fot the component which makes no sense to me. was wondering if anyone had a fix? my hdmi cables wont be here till tomorrow.
Norgster is offline  
post #559 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Senior Member
 
komari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgster View Post

opps, i did say composite in my previous post. i did mean component cables. my tv info reads 480p when im using component cables with my samsung dvd-1080p7 upconverter. manual says 480p is max fot the component which makes no sense to me. was wondering if anyone had a fix? my hdmi cables wont be here till tomorrow.

Okay - then you might be dealing with copyright protection where component is limited to 480p. You'll have to use HDMI to get greater than 480p from your DVD player.
komari is offline  
post #560 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Senior Member
 
EPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nice seeing everyone's setup!

Topsy -- what is that on your table by your cup and remote?!
EPlay is offline  
post #561 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Member
 
Randy_Sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Folks - long post, bear with me please....

Ok. So, I have a 4061F that I purchased as a warranty claim on my previous Samsung HLN DLP set and have had the HDMI drops.

Background:
I posted earlier about the HDMI dropout when viewing my Moto Cable Box. The box is an older HD box with a DVI output. I am using the same cable from earlier but now with a DVI to HDMI adapter. The run is about 8 to 10 FT due to where all the gear is located. I had no issues with the old DLP set with dropouts when using strictly the DVI cable.

So, after reading here that this appears to be a "known" problem with Samsung, I figured I would call into tech support and see where I get. Called last night at about 8:30 and waited for about 1/2 hour. This is the gist of the conversation.

I explained issue to tech support. Asked me some general questions about the issue. Explained that this frequently happened. Tech immediately indicates that the issue must not be with the TV since it is new, but with the cable box. Asks me about run of cable - indicate that it is 8 to 10 feet. This immediately sends the tech into a RED FLAG mode. He indicates that I shouldn't have that long of run - the digital signals shouldn't be transmitted over greater than a 6 ft run. Question: I never heard of this? Sounds suspect?

I indicated to the tech that I read that there was an issue that was known to Samsung with the HDMI input dropping with these sets. He says he no, he is not aware of this problem. He would like to be try to the following to "rule out" the TV.

1) Change input from HDMI1 to another HDMI Input. Ok, I can try this...

2) Hook up cable box with 3FT HDMI Cable and see if problem persists. I can to this, but it is a pain. Need to relocate the box to about the fireplace and hook up.

3) Exchange the cable box for another box - if it persists with the box 3ft away from the TV. I indicated that I hadn't had any issues with the box before, but still wants me to try this...this is more of a pain in the butt to call cable co to exchange the box...but could try.

3) Finally, get another device with HDMI output and see if I still have drops. So, I don't have anything else right now with an HDMI output. He said I can try to take TV back to retailer to hook up another device - I really don't feel like hauling back to CC to do this...

And, it is cheesy in IMO to buy a HDMI output device only to return it and don't have many HT buddies in the area, may be able to call in a favor though...anyway...

Thoughts - I am not confident that the issue is with the box - I think that it is pretty well established as a TV issue.

Do I go through the above recommendations and call back and report my findings? Do I call back and push for a higher level of support - how did folks get Samsung to acknowledge the issue? Did you futz around with all this BS first?

Thanks for your help.
Randy_Sh is offline  
post #562 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Norse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgster View Post

i like your stand, will the remote signal go thru the cabinet or do need to keep the doors open? where did you get it?


stand is from Ikea....99 dollars and yes the remotes work through the glass...as does my ir cordless keyboard receiver. What I like about the stand is how deep it is. A pc tower fits inside and the connections on the rear are still within the stand.

Samsung 4665f 1028/1008 flawless
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
Norse is offline  
post #563 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Member
 
Norgster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Sh View Post

Asks me about run of cable - indicate that it is 8 to 10 feet. This immediately sends the tech into a RED FLAG mode. He indicates that I shouldn't have that long of run - the digital signals shouldn't be transmitted over greater than a 6 ft run. Question: I never heard of this? Sounds suspect?

heard the same thing from a guy at BB, but he was trying to sell me monster cables...
also read online that past 15ft can have problems

can anyone verify if hdmi length is an issue?
Norgster is offline  
post #564 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Member
 
Norgster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post

stand is from Ikea....99 dollars and yes the remotes work through the glass...as does my ir cordless keyboard receiver. What I like about the stand is how deep it is. A pc tower fits inside and the connections on the rear are still within the stand.

is the tower vertical or horizontal in there? if vertical how tall is the cabinet? ty
Norgster is offline  
post #565 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Norse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see what you are saying....but if I put the tv on the wall to the right, the windows are behind it. I had it setup like that prior to rearranging. I also had a plasma on the right wall as well. Never really had an issue with reflections. Yes, if you look for them you will see them, but I just get drwan into what I am watching and dont notice. I do remember being mad as a child when the sun would wash out my families 27inch crt. No such problem with these bright lcds.

Also, I am on the 9th floor of a high rise and when the sun starts to go down both the wall the tv is on, and the wall to the right get hit pretty good with sun/shadow from my open blinds. Some times I'll close them on one of the windows while others I will just ignore it


Quote:
Originally Posted by method404 View Post

Norse,

Thanks for posting your photo it should help some people, but the angle of incidence you have with your setup would lead to minimal glare issues. If your windows were in front of your TV (behind your couch ... or even slightly off-center and behind,) I think you'd have a very difficult time seeing the picture due to the reflectivity in daylight. The light currently is hitting the TV surface at a very acute angle. The closer to a right angle you get, the worse the glare.

In my case due to my apartments cable outlet location, I'm limited to where my TV goes and have windows directly behind where I watch tv from. At night or when I'm able to control lighting, this is a non-issue. During the day (even with blinds drawn) I can see detailed reflections on the viewing surface where light is sneaking through he blinds.

I'd still like to hear peoples opinions on the 4661 in comparison to the 4665, especially from people who have personally owned both. When I've viewed them in-store and view from an angle where I can see the reflections of the store lights, the 4665 has an almost mirror-like quality, where the 4661 you can't see any detailed reflections,just a diffused-light due to the matte surface. This diffused lighting on the 4661 could possibly "wash out" the picture some, but it can't be nearly as distrating as seeing detailed sharp reflections on the viewing surface of the 4665.


Samsung 4665f 1028/1008 flawless
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
Norse is offline  
post #566 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
Norse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPlay View Post

Nice seeing everyone's setup!

Topsy -- what is that on your table by your cup and remote?!


looks like a ferret to me. hehe

Samsung 4665f 1028/1008 flawless
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
Norse is offline  
post #567 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Norse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgster View Post

is the tower vertical or horizontal in there? if vertical how tall is the cabinet? ty


Benno tv stand

220lbs max

W47 1/4 D23 5/8 H23 5/8

My mid sized tower stands up inside.

Samsung 4665f 1028/1008 flawless
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
Norse is offline  
post #568 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Senior Member
 
santiagodraco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Sh View Post

Folks - long post, bear with me please....

Ok. So, I have a 4061F that I purchased as a warranty claim on my previous Samsung HLN DLP set and have had the HDMI drops.

Background:
I posted earlier about the HDMI dropout when viewing my Moto Cable Box. The box is an older HD box with a DVI output. I am using the same cable from earlier but now with a DVI to HDMI adapter. The run is about 8 to 10 FT due to where all the gear is located. I had no issues with the old DLP set with dropouts when using strictly the DVI cable.

So, after reading here that this appears to be a "known" problem with Samsung, I figured I would call into tech support and see where I get. Called last night at about 8:30 and waited for about 1/2 hour. This is the gist of the conversation.

I explained issue to tech support. Asked me some general questions about the issue. Explained that this frequently happened. Tech immediately indicates that the issue must not be with the TV since it is new, but with the cable box. Asks me about run of cable - indicate that it is 8 to 10 feet. This immediately sends the tech into a RED FLAG mode. He indicates that I shouldn't have that long of run - the digital signals shouldn't be transmitted over greater than a 6 ft run. Question: I never heard of this? Sounds suspect?

I indicated to the tech that I read that there was an issue that was known to Samsung with the HDMI input dropping with these sets. He says he no, he is not aware of this problem. He would like to be try to the following to "rule out" the TV.

1) Change input from HDMI1 to another HDMI Input. Ok, I can try this...

2) Hook up cable box with 3FT HDMI Cable and see if problem persists. I can to this, but it is a pain. Need to relocate the box to about the fireplace and hook up.

3) Exchange the cable box for another box - if it persists with the box 3ft away from the TV. I indicated that I hadn't had any issues with the box before, but still wants me to try this...this is more of a pain in the butt to call cable co to exchange the box...but could try.

3) Finally, get another device with HDMI output and see if I still have drops. So, I don't have anything else right now with an HDMI output. He said I can try to take TV back to retailer to hook up another device - I really don't feel like hauling back to CC to do this...

And, it is cheesy in IMO to buy a HDMI output device only to return it and don't have many HT buddies in the area, may be able to call in a favor though...anyway...

Thoughts - I am not confident that the issue is with the box - I think that it is pretty well established as a TV issue.

Do I go through the above recommendations and call back and report my findings? Do I call back and push for a higher level of support - how did folks get Samsung to acknowledge the issue? Did you futz around with all this BS first?

Thanks for your help.

My suggestion. Call support back. Tell them you have drop outs, the KNOWN drop out issue and you've checked other sources, other ports, etc. Don't waste a second messing around any further. Tell them you want a service ticket, end of story.
santiagodraco is offline  
post #569 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Member
 
wallst32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Sh View Post

Folks - long post, bear with me please....

Ok. So, I have a 4061F that I purchased as a warranty claim on my previous Samsung HLN DLP set and have had the HDMI drops.

Background:
I posted earlier about the HDMI dropout when viewing my Moto Cable Box. The box is an older HD box with a DVI output. I am using the same cable from earlier but now with a DVI to HDMI adapter. The run is about 8 to 10 FT due to where all the gear is located. I had no issues with the old DLP set with dropouts when using strictly the DVI cable.

Do I go through the above recommendations and call back and report my findings? Do I call back and push for a higher level of support - how did folks get Samsung to acknowledge the issue? Did you futz around with all this BS first?

Thanks for your help.

If you have MOT DCT6200 don't waste your time; everyone has this problem. Now whether it's the boxes fault or the TV's, that is not so clear. If you want to upgrade to DVR (with HDMI) for an extra $5/month, you will not have any cable TV dropouts.

I've used DVI and HDMI cables at 3 meters (about 10 feet) without any issues. A shorter cable is not going to fix your problem.
wallst32 is offline  
post #570 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Member
 
Norgster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallst32 View Post

If you have MOT DCT6200 don't waste your time; everyone has this problem. Now whether it's the boxes fault or the TV's, that is not so clear. If you want to upgrade to DVR (with HDMI) for an extra $5/month, you will not have any cable TV dropouts.

I've used DVI and HDMI cables at 3 meters (about 10 feet) without any issues. A shorter cable is not going to fix your problem.

is there a visible difference between hdmi and component? i have a mot dct6200 and have no problems with component so far
Norgster is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off