Official Samsung LN-TXX61F/65F/66F Owner's Thread III - with *updated* first post. - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by method404 View Post

As promised, here's a look at how much the 4665 can glare ... and please keep in mind that this is 7pm and overcast outside. During the day, ACK. Granted, my setup is NOT ideal. It looks GREAT where it's not dark / black.

P.s. the lamp behind Tom Hanks in the first image is a reflection, not in the film. hehe

nothing a bit thicker curtains on those rear doors wouldnt fix. As well as actually closing the blinds to the left/right. Heh....but I see you are just showing what worse case could look like.

Also, in the other shots the back doors are gone..just the blinds show so maybe those are the only issue....oh, and why would anyone have a lamp directly centered with the tv screen?

Do you still enjoy the set? Thats the main question.

Samsung 4665f 1028/1008 flawless
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:01 PM

BTW, if you want to be reminded when the price of an item drops on Amazon so that you can request a price match check out this helpful site: priceprotectr.com
post #633 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld324 View Post

I just want to know why everyone is so eager to fix their hdmi so quickly.

This seems like a no-brainer to me. Without the HDMI inputs, I wouldn't have enough ports. Playstation, Xbox, STB, DVD player, PC, etc....

And I could have gotten a cheaper TV with at least one more component input albeit no HDMI ports.
post #634 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattamiller View Post

So I need to check with "Express Electronics" and see what there return policy is, and not Amazon. Even though I'm buying it off Amazon? I dont see any reason why I shouldn't just buy off Express Electonics website if that is the case. That way I would be eliminating the middle man, Correct???

Could someone PM me what they payed through the actual AMAZON not a partner. Cuz I'm guessing it's not going to be the same as "Epress Electonics"

P.S. If this is against the rules MODS please notify me, and I'll edit my post immediatley. Once again thanks for all the great info.

why not just add it too the cart and see for yourself? Am I missing something? Adding it to the cart doesnt buy the thing..but it shows the price.

Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
post #635 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcend View Post

This seems like a no-brainer to me. Without the HDMI inputs, I wouldn't have enough ports. Playstation, Xbox, STB, DVD player, PC, etc....

And I could have gotten a cheaper TV with at least one more component input albeit no HDMI ports.

all my component items plug into my receiver..only 1 component goes from receiver to tv. But I get what youre saying.....myself, why put off for tomorrow what you can do today!?

Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
post #636 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:

I dont see any reason why I shouldn't just buy off Express Electonics website if that is the case. That way I would be eliminating the middle man, Correct???

Keep in mind, EE is not a Samsung authorized dealer so Samsung will not honor your warranty according to their (Samsung's) website.
post #637 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattamiller View Post

Thanks I'm seeing that now just as I was about to click "complete transaction". I dont understand why another retailer sells through Amazon? Am I buying through Amazon or this "Electronic Express"? This just got alot more confusing I'm glad you pointed this out for me. Sorry for all the questions this is the first time I've bought anything from Amazon, But thanks for all the informative speedy replies!!!

P.S. What's white glove delivery mean???

mattamiller,

I bought my 4665 from Amazon on May 18 for $2,353. Still waiting to be shipped. I will post my HW/SW versions as soon as I get it.
post #638 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:10 PM

So unfortunately I got the HDMI handshake issue tonight First it started with green flashing once, then after about 15 minutes later, the screen went black for a quick second then the picture came back. Another 15 minutes later I get snow (like when you're trying to watch tv without an antenna plugged in) for 2-3 seconds, flash green and get the picture back. This is with a Samsung HD841 upconverting DVD player.

Since it's a Samsung + Samsung issue do you guys think I might have a better chance getting Samsung to actually do something about it seriously?

BTW, the SW versions are for a 4065F.

T-TULPAUS0-1016, Mar 5 2007 12:33:07
T-TULPAUS5-1004 CS[E3BB] [40(AMW)-inch]

In order to get a firmware upgrade or have a tech come out and replace boards, do I just call Samsung directly?
post #639 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:12 PM

Norse -
The reason I have a lamp directly behind the tv? That's how my living room was setup when I brought the TV home and that's the only location I can put my TV because it's the only cable outlet in my apartment, which BLOWS. I have yet to re-arrange any furniture. I just have it turned on in some of the pics to demonstrate the glare of the 4665f. During viewing I have it off.

The blinds ARE closed, that's just light that seaps through the cracks of the vertical blinds. I'd love to put up curtains, unfortunately I don't think changing the window dressings is allowed. The backdoors in that one shot are in the movie, so yes ... the vertical blinds are the only real issue.

I think the 4665f is great, yes I enjoy it greatly ... when I can actually see it
post #640 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagodraco View Post

Method, a couple of observations.

First, those reflections suck If you can't improve it then you really have the worst possible setup for the tv.

That said I'm curious of a few things:

1. Why is the TV angled toward the light sources a bit? It looks like the left side is closer to the wall behind the tv than the right.
2. Those light sources must be right to the left and behind the viewer?
3. Your camera angle for the shot is in the worst possible position for those shots. Take it from the same angle but on the left, I'd be curious to see what you get then.

Cheers,

santiagodraco -
I appreciate the advice and will be re-arranging my setup ... however, the TV isn't "angled" towards the light sources, it's parallel to the wall and in the only location in my living room where there is an outlet, slightly off-center. Yes, the vertical blinds are to the left and behind the viewer. The pics are taken from exactly where my love-seat resides. I suppose I should angle the TV somewhat. However, there are vertical blinds to the right as well. These pictures were all taken sitting right on that sofa. I do have another sofa against the left hand wall and I frequently lie on that and watch the tv, but like I said I also have vertical blinds off to the right and behind. So either location I'm kinda screwed. It's a better angle, but not by much. Regardless, it sucks for my guests (except at night.) Next time I'm home during daylight I can take some better pics and maybe PM you for some additional ideas / advice.
post #641 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post

all my component items plug into my receiver..only 1 component goes from receiver to tv. But I get what youre saying.....myself, why put off for tomorrow what you can do today!?

Yeah, I'm planning on getting a receiver once reviews for the new Onkyos are published.

But I'm going to make sure every single feature on any device I buy works just because I paid for every single feature.

It would be different if Samsung's specs had said, oh by the way, the HDMI ports might not work all the time 'cause we haven't finished testing them yet but we're going to sell you the set anyway 'cause we're hoping you won't complain too much - after all, you can always use the component ports instead
post #642 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:37 PM

After posting the pics, I ran straight to CC and BB to compare the 4661 with the 4665. I was able to set everything to movie mode and made all the proper tweaks to the settings so they were identical. I realize no TV is exactly the same and settings need to be tweaked accordingly. However, these were my observations:

4661:
NO GLARE
Horrible sound quality from built-in speakers (very tinny and distorted)
Poorer contrast, but better black detail and less crush
Blacks seemed much more washed out and whites were not white
Overall still impressive

4665:
Lots of glare (right up there with plasma,) really detailed crisp reflections
Pretty good sound quality from built-in speaker when proper Equalized
Excellent contrast, less black detail than the 4661 and slightly crushed (but VERY acceptable)
Blacker blacks and whiter whites
Overall better impression for me

Like I said before, my only qualm with the 4665 is the reflectivity ... you really have to control your light. The PQ is fantastic and the styling is dead sexy. I just wish they made the exact same model but with a matte finish screen. The 4661 is viewable from just about any angle without having to worry much about your surroundings, where the 4665 you need to be able to control your environment so that the screen doesn't look like it's made of chrome
post #643 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Do you have any settings we can try out? I know nothing about equalizing a stereo, much less a TV so it would be nice to see what others have to say. I live in an apartment so a dedicated system is pretty much out.
post #644 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takioni View Post

OK sooo .. i contact samsung tech support about my ticket. This was thier reply. The sony ps3 HDMI issue is not something that they would send out a tech for. and that sony needs to be contacted and that its not the tv.

So i ask then y are the newer manufactured sets of the same model not displaying the same issue.? The reply was that as far as they know all the LTN models are having issues with the PS3 and you should contact Sony... lol

I ask about firmware updates and board replacements he says I dont know anything about it and that the firmware is all about sound issues...

the CSR's advice was to run the PS3 in 720p LOL. I was like then why did I buy a 1080p TV for?

This crap is silly.

Im glad its not totally horrible on my set but someone needs to do something and clear stuff up. ; ;

You got an idiot.

But everyone who's calling support, listen up!

Don't say you are calling about 1 device, like the PS3. Just tell them that ALL HDMI devices you've tried show the problem, PS3, Set top boxes, HTPC, whatever. You have to insist that you have a ticket opened about a known issue with these sets. Don't take no for an answer.

Also, get the agents name/id number/whatever, right up front. And if you are not very quickly put in touch with someone who does know their you know what from a hole in the ground, then have it escalated.

Don't let a bad CS rep ruin your day. They're not worth it.
post #645 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevaudan View Post

Do you have any settings we can try out? I know nothing about equalizing a stereo, much less a TV so it would be nice to see what others have to say. I live in an apartment so a dedicated system is pretty much out.

Well, they ARE built-in speakers, so they'll never be stellar sounding, but this has been working pretty good for me. I set it to custom mode (I didn't care for any of the presets) and then set the EQ to this:

post #646 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:

santiagodraco -
I appreciate the advice and will be re-arranging my setup ... however, the TV isn't "angled" towards the light sources, it's parallel to the wall and in the only location in my living room where there is an outlet, slightly off-center. Yes, the vertical blinds are to the left and behind the viewer. The pics are taken from exactly where my love-seat resides. I suppose I should angle the TV somewhat. However, there are vertical blinds to the right as well. These pictures were all taken sitting right on that sofa. I do have another sofa against the left hand wall and I frequently lie on that and watch the tv, but like I said I also have vertical blinds off to the right and behind. So either location I'm kinda screwed. It's a better angle, but not by much. Regardless, it sucks for my guests (except at night.) Next time I'm home during daylight I can take some better pics and maybe PM you for some additional ideas / advice.

Understood. So it looks like you're in one of those sweetspots for reflections (not a good thing!)

It's safe to say that without an angle to the light source you'll probably get some glare. You might want to consider something wacky like how I have my setup, angled to the wall. Of course I have an angled wall that helps, but overall it's an interesting layout and helps reduce that side window glare.

Otherwise go outside when it's sunny and watch the LCD at night! (bad joke there ;D)
post #647 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:57 PM

^^ Thanks I'll give those a go

Nice settings, I'll stick with these a while.
post #648 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallst32 View Post

If you have MOT DCT6200 don't waste your time; everyone has this problem. Now whether it's the boxes fault or the TV's, that is not so clear. If you want to upgrade to DVR (with HDMI) for an extra $5/month, you will not have any cable TV dropouts.

I've used DVI and HDMI cables at 3 meters (about 10 feet) without any issues. A shorter cable is not going to fix your problem.

I have the Moto 6214 with DVR and DVI output and I'm getting dropouts galore. Are you saying this is the cable box's problem or the TV's problem?
post #649 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:

After posting the pics, I ran straight to CC and BB to compare the 4661 with the 4665. I was able to set everything to movie mode and made all the proper tweaks to the settings so they were identical. I realize no TV is exactly the same and settings need to be tweaked accordingly. However, these were my observations:

4661:
NO GLARE
Horrible sound quality from built-in speakers (very tinny and distorted)
Poorer contrast, but better black detail and less crush
Blacks seemed much more washed out and whites were not white
Overall still impressive

4665:
Lots of glare (right up there with plasma,) really detailed crisp reflections
Excellent contrast, less black detail than the 4661 and slightly crushed (but VERY acceptable)
Blacker blacks and whiter whites
Overall better impression for me

Like I said before, my only qualm with the 4665 is the reflectivity ... you really have to control your light. The PQ is fantastic and the styling is dead sexy. I just wish they made the exact same model but with a matte finish screen. The 4661 is viewable from just about any angle without having to worry much about your surroundings, where the 4665 you need to be able to control your environment so that the screen doesn't look like it's made of chrome

Totally agree. Sometimes I think they overdo the whole price range thing. Viewer irrelevant features, better overall prices and a choice between matte/glossy would be great.
post #650 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagodraco View Post

Of course I have an angled wall that helps...

Is your setup infront of a fireplace? Looks great BTW!
post #651 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:05 PM

Oh regarding motion blur ... when I was out at CC I saw a 4661 displaying some SERIOUS motion blur problems during a sports broadcast, but no other sets were displaying a motion blur problem, even the other Samsungs. I couldn't believe my eyes. As soon as I got to BB I looked for it on the 4661 and it was perfectly fine, no motion blur problems. I have never seen it on my 4665 or any other display models. Is the motion blur problem just hit and miss?
post #652 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:

Oh regarding motion blur ... when I was out at CC I saw a 4661 displaying some SERIOUS motion blur problems during a sports broadcast, but no other sets were displaying a motion blur problem, even the other Samsungs. I couldn't believe my eyes. As soon as I got to BB I looked for it on the 4661 and it was perfectly fine, no motion blur problems. I have never seen it on my 4665 or any other display models. Is the motion blur problem just hit and miss?

i notice it on any lcd greater than 42" with a response of 8ms or more. was the main reason i bought a 4065
post #653 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:

That is more the input feed then the TV.. its cause by what the store is using to send the signal to all there TV causing the motion blur..
post #654 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yep... I notice this on my 5265. It is bugging me quite a bit. As I am on my second within a week, I didn't notice this on the first one.

Has anyone seen this on a set with the hardware version of 1008? Mine is 1005, so I don't know if I got a set with 1008, I'd be any happier or not. For the amount of money big LCD TVs cost, I want to be darn close to perfection. I'm not seeing it at the moment.
post #655 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tric_101 View Post

That is more the input feed then the TV.. its cause by what the store is using to send the signal to all there TV causing the motion blur..

Sure could fool me!!! I'm seeing it and I'm no where close any chain store.
post #656 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:42 PM

The user manual for the 4065 indicates that the TV should be able to pass 5.1 from sources through its optical out. Is anyone successfully passing 5.1 through the TV?
post #657 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:44 PM

Klips,
I'm sorry to hear that ... I've NEVER seen it before today on the 4661 in the store. It was really painful to look at actually. I had been looking for it on my 4665 since I got it, not knowing what to look for and never seeing any problems ... today at the store it was VERY apparent what the motion blur problem is.
post #658 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPWoodJr View Post

I have the Moto 6214 with DVR and DVI output and I'm getting dropouts galore. Are you saying this is the cable box's problem or the TV's problem?

I'm pretty sure it's the TV. I have finally experienced HDMI drop outs and green flashings tonight after 5 days (got the TV last Wednesday). I documented the issue with a Samsung HD841 dvd player and later it happened with my laptop plugged to it (Thinkpad T60 docked to enable DVI out).
post #659 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Klips,
I'm sorry to hear that ... I've NEVER seen it before today on the 4661 in the store. It was really painful to look at actually. I had been looking for it on my 4665 since I got it, not knowing what to look for and never seeing any problems ... today at the store it was VERY apparent what the motion blur problem is.

In my experience, the closer to the set, the more you'll notice it. I notice it on my 4665f some times. I noticed it on the 120hz models at BB too. LCD still has a ways to go.

Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
post #660 of 19613 Old 05-21-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post

In my experience, the closer to the set, the more you'll notice it. I notice it on my 4665f some times. I noticed it on the 120hz models at BB too. LCD still has a ways to go.

Whatever it was that I saw at CC you could see a mile away, you didn't have to be close ... it was like it smearing mud across the screen with your fingers ... I seriously yelled out WTF it caught me so off gaurd.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page