Official Samsung LN-TXX61F/65F/66F Owner's Thread III - with *updated* first post. - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja67 View Post

So do most of the owners feel if there were no HDMI issues we would be looking at a 9 out of 10 LCD HDTV?

more like an 8/10...but its still higher than what I would give other lcds. I wish the bezel was thin like a samsung dlp or Panny 9uk plasma. I love the swivel stand. Bought time flat panel makers figured that out.

Maybe would go 9/10 or so if I had never owned a hdtv before. I have had many great sets as I have a hitech spending illness. hehe...Oh, my unit has 0 issues. 1022/1005 for the win!

Samsung 4665f 1028/1008 flawless
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_eggman View Post

My 5265 was delivered May 5 from Reno, NV to Houston. No handshake problems, no flashing, no drops. Dead solid perfect so far.

T-TULPAUS0-1024, Apr 6 2007 10:05:46
T-TULPAUS5-1008 CS[0A46][52(AMW)-inch)

tx_eggman and all future posters, if you are reporting handshake or no handshake issues, please list the devices you are using and the connection type (HDMI/DVI/Component). It seems that all the various devices either consistently work for everyone or it doesn't, regardless of firmware.

Trouble devices seem to be MOT DCT6200 (DVI), Oppo 981, SA8300, PS3, 360 Elite (HDMI). If someone can say they are not getting any handshake issues with these devices with a newer firmware, then we may have a breakthrough.

We're all so focused on the devices that don't work, that we forget there are plently of devices that work just fine. I'm sure there are plenty of people who haven't seen any issues because all the devices they have are free of the HDCP issues, and they would not have experienced problems whether on the oldest or the latest and greatest firwmare revs.

Thanks.
post #723 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatmvp1 View Post

Method are you going to switch yours out with a 4661? Its totally up to you, but if I was in your position (even though its a hassle from hates) I'd go ahead and do it. It is an expensive piece of equipment and you want to get the most out of it, in this case reducing glare by getting a matte finish.

What model do you have? What's your experience? My biggest concern with the 4661 is the sound quality, as I cannot put in a nice booming sound setup in my apartment ... you know ... neighbors and all
post #724 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 04:02 PM

Just ran home from work because Charter Communications was hooking up my HD reciever. It's a Scientific Atlantic Explorer SA3250HD box ... and I had no complaints about SD channels when I just had a coax running from the wall. SD via this HD box look like garbage now ... not to mention that I have some sort of ground problem with the box ... bands that are constantly looping up the screen and a humm thorough the speakers.
post #725 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 04:14 PM

I don't have much experience with the 65's, just the pictures I've seen on these 3 forums of them, but my buddy has a 4661 in his condo with a similar lighting situation as yours. Not the slightest amount of glare. It looks good at all times of the day. I wouldn't say the speakers are anything to point out, but they would be sufficient for me. I'm interested in a 4061.
post #726 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 04:21 PM

I was just at Best Buy looking at the 4665 and talking to a female employee who said there has never been a return on the TV and she thinks its the best one they have. It was up against the Sony and it beat it hands down, at least with there settings which they said were perfect. She went on to say that they had removed the remotes from the TV's because of all of the people coming in and messing with the settings. I asked her about the issues w/ handshaking and the PS3 and she told me it was the PS3's fault and that tons of PS3's had been returned. Plus she said people are not connecting there HDMI cables correctly. She had no knowledge of the pillars and basically no knowledge at all. She was cute though.

4665 (1024/1008)
SA8300
HTPC via HDMI
post #727 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 05:13 PM

Quick question Is there a way to keep the HDMI input active when there is no signal/source running to it?

Like can you manually cycle through all the inputs on the TV if you wanted without having to connect something to them?
post #728 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I was ready to buy, now I don't think so. It looks like the Handshake issues are being resolved, but I see that motion blur could be a problem (not good for sports or action movies). I see that the Oppo 981 may have problems with this unit (I own one). I see that Method just upgraded to HD and his SD went to hell (I have Directv HD with HD DVR. I don't expect miracles, but watchable would be nice). It looks like I may just wait for the 71 and 81 series this summer. The 71 will fix the blur problem, and hopefully the Oppo 981 problems will be fixed as well. And if I am lucky, Directv will deliver on some of their promises regarding additional HD channels, thus making SD less important (of course Samsung could satisfy millions of buyers by getting a better SD processor, but I don't see that happening). So, I will continue to watch, but I think waiting may be prudent,,,,not for the latest greatest "feature" but just for an acceptable unit.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #729 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takioni View Post

Quick question Is there a way to keep the HDMI input active when there is no signal/source running to it?

Like can you manually cycle through all the inputs on the TV if you wanted without having to connect something to them?

I don't think you can, but if you have a learning/programmable remote, you can program in discrete input selectors that will work even if nothing is active on the port.
post #730 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Ok, I was ready to buy, now I don't think so. It looks like the Handshake issues are being resolved, but I see that motion blur could be a problem (not good for sports or action movies). I see that the Oppo 981 may have problems with this unit (I own one). I see that Method just upgraded to HD and his SD went to hell (I have Directv HD with HD DVR. I don't expect miracles, but watchable would be nice). It looks like I may just wait for the 71 and 81 series this summer. The 71 will fix the blur problem, and hopefully the Oppo 981 problems will be fixed as well. And if I am lucky, Directv will deliver on some of their promises regarding additional HD channels, thus making SD less important (of course Samsung could satisfy millions of buyers by getting a better SD processor, but I don't see that happening). So, I will continue to watch, but I think waiting may be prudent,,,,not for the latest greatest "feature" but just for an acceptable unit.

The 4665 IS an acceptable unit. I doubt there is a better LCD out there at the moment. I'm picking up a replacement SA3250HD cable box tomorrow as there is definetly some ground loop issues with this one. I was watching some basketball footage on the ESPNHD feed and it looked incredible ... no motion blur problems at all. I'll keep looking.
post #731 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallst32 View Post

tx_eggman and all future posters, if you are reporting handshake or no handshake issues, please list the devices you are using and the connection type (HDMI/DVI/Component). It seems that all the various devices either consistently work for everyone or it doesn't, regardless of firmware.

Trouble devices seem to be MOT DCT6200 (DVI), Oppo 981, SA8300, PS3, 360 Elite (HDMI). If someone can say they are not getting any handshake issues with these devices with a newer firmware, then we may have a breakthrough.

We're all so focused on the devices that don't work, that we forget there are plently of devices that work just fine. I'm sure there are plenty of people who haven't seen any issues because all the devices they have are free of the HDCP issues, and they would not have experienced problems whether on the oldest or the latest and greatest firwmare revs.

Thanks.

I've had issues with my Toshiba hda2 through hdmi as well with pink/green flashes. Not as problematic as the ps3, but it definitely there.
post #732 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
i think people need to realize that there's a difference between macroblocking, which is due to over compression, and motion blur.

LG 55LHX
PS3 60gig | HTPC (building now) | WDTV | AT&T UVerse
ATT UVerse
Denon 1712 receiver | JBL 190's, 130's, and 120c
post #733 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimajnacnud View Post

I've had issues with my Toshiba hda2 through hdmi as well with pink/green flashes. Not as problematic as the ps3, but it definitely there.

Anyone is Canada get this issue fixed yet? I had a moronic service tech stop by and said he can't do anything unless he sees it. So i fired up the ps3 and of course it did not do it in the first five minutes so he said he couldn't do anything and that I should get a recording of it and then left. Thanks for wasting my time, buddy.

So now I got a recording of the green flash, called Samsung again and hopefully they get another tech here soon. I will be requesting a different tech as the last one was very rude and impatient. This was not Samsungs fault though as they had to farm the warranty work out to a local service. Samsung on the phone was great.
post #734 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoman504 View Post

i think people need to realize that there's a difference between macroblocking, which is due to over compression, and motion blur.

Zoman, you are correct, and I assumed the people knew what motion blur was. Macroblocking can only be fixed by less compression by the damn cable/satelite companies, but it will probably only get worse as they add more channels and try to save money.

Method, after you get your new unit, please let me know how the SD turns out. Like I said, I am not looking for miracles, but with only 10 channels of HD on Satelite right now, I need to have SD be at least watchable.

post #735 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 06:14 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoman504 View Post

absolutely right, i did not see any motion blurr through HDA2 or PS3, people mix it with macroblocks (due to compression) with motion blurr, if one wants to prove it, try to burn a 9GB DVD to 4.7GB disc and view the same content you will see macroblocks
due to compression of 9GB on 4.7 GB disc.
post #736 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimajnacnud View Post

Anyone is Canada get this issue fixed yet?

Scheduled to get my main board replaced tomorrow (4665) for these HDMI issues... Will let you know how it goes! Vancouver, B.C. area here.
post #737 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This is my first HDTV. I'd like to know if some of the features I really like about my Sammy are "standard" on most of today's LCDs:

* 3 HDMI + VGA, all at full 1080p resolution
* Fairly free from motion blurr
* Deep black
* 1:1 pixel mapping for HDMI inputs
* Complete, independent controls over all A/V inputs
* Swivel stand
* Rich sound (I have the 4665)
* Quiet (i.e. fanless)

What features found in other HDTVs that you wished had been incorporated into the Sammy?
post #738 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, i want to settle this SD problem once and for all. I looked at it at BB, but who knows what they have going on with splitting, etc. Could someone who has either the 4661, 4665 or 5265 (5265 would be perfect as that is what I have been considering), and has access to a digital camera, AND is using Directv HD, preferably with the Directv HR20 DVR (although I guess others would benefit from pictures from cable sources as well) please take pictures of a few SD channels.

I personnaly would prefer if you would show us your Best SD picture, Average SD picture (what most channels look like), and your Worst SD channel. There are several people concerned with the SD picture, but really, the only way to get an idea is to have pictures posted from those of you with the set already in operation and getting SD from a non-split cable.

I thank you in advance!!

post #739 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 06:41 PM

hey everyone, just wanted to thank the mods for keeping this series of threads so organized. Ive been lurking for a while since I was not sure whether I would be getting the 65F yet but its starting to look pretty positive with what seems like no issue sets are being shipped out now.

My question or concern is regarding the motion blur. I noticed this a while ago when I was looking at the 4665f in my local circuit city. They had "Happy Feet" playing off of HD DVD and I can say that the picture was just incredible (obviously animated movies are best for showing this). However, I noticed that during fast scenes in which the penguins were dancing or sliding I would see what I thought was motion blur, almost like a short delay after the rapidly moving image. I understand what macroblocking is but this not seem like an issue playing directly from a HD DVD.

I noticed this issue being just recently introduced by only a few people, with comments being made about this motion blur being a defect to individual sets.

I hate to bring it up again, but with how awesome this set is and how it really impressed me the motion blur I saw in the movie kind of startled me and I tried to tell myself that it wasn't that bad, which it wasn't, but I could see this being a distraction with a lot of movie watching. It seems like this is the only issue stopping me from pulling the trigger soon. Thanks in advance.
post #740 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Ok, i want to settle this SD problem once and for all. I looked at it at BB, but who knows what they have going on with splitting, etc.

Please bare in mind that most in-store LCDs are set to "shop" settings and Dynamic picture mode. This really makes SD look bad and WAY pixelated. When the unit is properly color calibrated, SD looks a hell of a lot better.
post #741 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazebo View Post

This is my first HDTV. I'd like to know if some of the features I really like about my Sammy are "standard" on most of today's LCDs:

* 3 HDMI + VGA, all at full 1080p resolution
* Fairly free from motion blurr
* Deep black
* 1:1 pixel mapping for HDMI inputs
* Complete, independent controls over all A/V inputs
* Swivel stand
* Rich sound (I have the 4665)
* Quiet (i.e. fanless)

What features found in other HDTVs that you wished had been incorporated into the Sammy?

My dream sammy would be this unit at 120hz (upcoming 71, and supposedly in the Sharps, but banding problems), a better video processor for SD (like the Realta chip in the Olevia 7 series products) and NO HDMI problems. The bottom line, right at this moment, this Sammy is the best unit available for HD. My concern is that my next purchase will be around for a while, so I want NO blurring, and watchable SD (as well as HDMI problem free of course).

post #742 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Method, I know, which is why I want to see some "real world" examples.

post #743 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 07:00 PM

Hi there,

I've been lurking here for awhile. Today, I was in Circuit City comparing the LNT4065F with it's matte finish sibling, the 61F. The 61F looked pretty washed out, with grayish blacks, whereas the 65F appeared more lush and lifelike. Is there any way the 61F image can be made more rich (similar to the 65F) since these sets have loads of settings to tweak?

When is the 71 series due to make its arrival? Are they going to employ the super clear panel, and if so, will they be as reflective?
post #744 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post

absolutely right, i did not see any motion blurr through HDA2 or PS3, people mix it with macroblocks (due to compression) with motion blurr, if one wants to prove it, try to burn a 9GB DVD to 4.7GB disc and view the same content you will see macroblocks
due to compression of 9GB on 4.7 GB disc.

The only motion blur I have ever seen was when I played NHL 2k7 on the 360 over component vs. my Panny 34" hdcrt. It was very slight on the 4665 compared to my old panny, but nothing to prevent me from keeping it. Everything else is crystal clear and free of motion blur from what I see. I am watching the Anaheim vs. Detroit hockey game right now and there is no blurring effect at all.
post #745 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalgear View Post

Hi there,

I've been lurking here for awhile. Today, I was in Circuit City comparing the LNT4065F with it's matte finish sibling, the 61F. The 61F looked pretty washed out, with grayish blacks, whereas the 65F appeared more lush and lifelike. Is there any way the 61F image can be made more rich (similar to the 65F) since these sets have loads of settings to tweak?

When is the 71 series due to make its arrival? Are they going to employ the super clear panel, and if so, will they be as reflective?

Someone probably was messing with the settings on the 61 as the ones I have seen are very nice. Once either the 61 or 65 are calibrated, they both have amazing pictures, with the edge going to the 65 (that's why I bought it over the 61).
post #746 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 07:07 PM

About to pull the trigger at 2 online retailers and they are sold out!!

The Look and Sound of Perfect.
Beyond High Definition.
Format neutral
post #747 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 07:17 PM

Hi,

I've been reading this thread daily trying to decide whether or not to buy a 4665. There's one thing in the c|net review that I don't see mentioned in the thread. Quoting c|net, "...we saw far more moving motes of noise in those areas...".

I see this noise when I look at the display models at my local retailers. Not in all scenes, but I find it distracting. I don't see it in the other LCDs displayed next to the Samsung. Does anyone who has a 4665 or 5265 see it and know if settings like noise reduction or edge enhancement can eliminate it?

Thanks,

Jeff
post #748 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalgear View Post

Hi there,

Take a look at the Samsung 81 series anticipation thread on this site...it has info on both 71 series and 81 series.
post #749 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon111 View Post

Take a look at the Samsung 81 series anticipation thread on this site...it has info on both 71 series and 81 series.

Here's the link if you don't feel like searching for the thread: Samsung 81 series anticipation thread
Cheers
post #750 of 19613 Old 05-22-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tek0509 View Post

hey everyone, just wanted to thank the mods for keeping this series of threads so organized. Ive been lurking for a while since I was not sure whether I would be getting the 65F yet but its starting to look pretty positive with what seems like no issue sets are being shipped out now.

My question or concern is regarding the motion blur. I noticed this a while ago when I was looking at the 4665f in my local circuit city. They had "Happy Feet" playing off of HD DVD and I can say that the picture was just incredible (obviously animated movies are best for showing this). However, I noticed that during fast scenes in which the penguins were dancing or sliding I would see what I thought was motion blur, almost like a short delay after the rapidly moving image. I understand what macroblocking is but this not seem like an issue playing directly from a HD DVD.

I noticed this issue being just recently introduced by only a few people, with comments being made about this motion blur being a defect to individual sets.

I hate to bring it up again, but with how awesome this set is and how it really impressed me the motion blur I saw in the movie kind of startled me and I tried to tell myself that it wasn't that bad, which it wasn't, but I could see this being a distraction with a lot of movie watching. It seems like this is the only issue stopping me from pulling the trigger soon. Thanks in advance.

The "picture lag" during motion that you are referring to is typically caused by too much noise reduction. It tends to manifest as picture detail lagging slightly behind a moving image and then catching up when motion stops. Make sure NR is off. It doesn't hurt to kill off DNIe also as it tends to overprocess the picture, increased contrast at the expense of shadow detail (aka black crush) and over sharpens the image with undesirable edge-enhancement (see the thin white halo around objects).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page