Official Samsung LN-TXX61F/65F/66F Owner's Thread III - with *updated* first post. - Page 639 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #19141 of 19625 Old 02-10-2010, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyFripple View Post

You should look at the two posts directly above yours

However, as I said (and I believe it even says in the first post) the HDMI signal dropping issue, as well as the green/pink flashing can only be fixed with a mainboard replacement.

I'm still going to give the firmware update a try but I'm quite positive it won't help.

LOL...
I swear the link wasn't there before I posted...

I'm gonna give the update a shot as well.
Currently I have the 1004 board with 1016 firmware, I should be fine with this version firmware correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19142 of 19625 Old 02-12-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avneebie View Post

LOL...
I swear the link wasn't there before I posted...

I'm gonna give the update a shot as well.
Currently I have the 1004 board with 1016 firmware, I should be fine with this version firmware correct?

I believe so. I'm at 1004 with 1022 firmware. Haven't tried it yet though.
post #19143 of 19625 Old 02-15-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyFripple View Post

You should look at the two posts directly above yours

However, as I said (and I believe it even says in the first post) the HDMI signal dropping issue, as well as the green/pink flashing can only be fixed with a mainboard replacement.

I'm still going to give the firmware update a try but I'm quite positive it won't help.

I actually get the video drop outs at 3 times during Blu Ray playback, which ruins some really good moments when I got a chick over!!!

My LN65F is solid otherwise. I have another year of support through Best Buy ( was given 4 years for free ) do you think I should ask them to replace the mainboard, which from reading is what I take is causing my HDMI video drop outs and green / pink flashes? Or should I go through Samsung directly?

I don't know how to reproduce this error for the best buy technician, you think they would replace the TV with a new one if I could show them this problem?

Xbox LIVE Tag: D O N K E R

Playstation Network Tag: DONKER

Wii number 1548 - 0387 - 3348 - 3546

Proud Aperion owner!!

post #19144 of 19625 Old 02-15-2010, 01:00 PM

I'm going to try this when I get home but just in case any of you knew. If I were to playback a Blu Ray and fast forwarded through the whole movie would I still get the video drop outs?

Hopefully I can convince the Best Buy guy just to get me a new Samsung LCD But I need to show him this error first.

Thanks for the advice i'll post my feedback tonight.

Proud Aperion owner!!

post #19145 of 19625 Old 02-19-2010, 10:38 AM

For those of you experiencing the "clicking but doesn't turn on" power supply/ capacitor problem you should try contacting Samsung again for a repair.

I've had my TV since 2007 and it nows takes ~1 minute of clicking before my TV turns on. I called Samsung to see what could be done and after simply describing the problem they promptly set me up for a free repair. The repair company has called and said that if it is indeed the power supply the repair will be free and covered by "the power supply recall." They've ordered the part and plan to install it next week. So it looks like Samsung is starting to own up to the bad capacitor problem and taking care of it. A bit slow but having Samsung eventually cover the problem GREATLY increases my chance of buying another Samsung TV.
post #19146 of 19625 Old 02-19-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrankli View Post

For those of you experiencing the "clicking but doesn't turn on" power supply/ capacitor problem you should try contacting Samsung again for a repair.

I've had my TV since 2007 and it nows takes ~1 minute of clicking before my TV turns on. I called Samsung to see what could be done and after simply describing the problem they promptly set me up for a free repair. The repair company has called and said that if it is indeed the power supply the repair will be free and covered by "the power supply recall." They've ordered the part and plan to install it next week. So it looks like Samsung is starting to own up to the bad capacitor problem and taking care of it. A bit slow but having Samsung eventually cover the problem GREATLY increases my chance of buying another Samsung TV.

This is promising news. I had my 4665 repaired last June. It was out of warranty, but covered by an extended warranty through my credit card. Guy came out and replaced the power board. Now it's already failing again (and out of the cc extended warranty)... wish he just would've replaced capacitors I guess. Sent him a quick email and asked if he knew anything about the recall.
post #19147 of 19625 Old 02-21-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrankli View Post

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was about to order some capacitors and attempt a home repair when I figured I would call Samsung support to see if they could do anything for me. They set me up with an appointment to have a complimentary repair done for the capacitors.
I purchased my TV in April of 2007, so it sounds like Samsung is owning up to its mistake, which is great news.
post #19148 of 19625 Old 02-22-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiowacane View Post

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was about to order some capacitors and attempt a home repair when I figured I would call Samsung support to see if they could do anything for me. They set me up with an appointment to have a complimentary repair done for the capacitors.
I purchased my TV in April of 2007, so it sounds like Samsung is owning up to its mistake, which is great news.

My 4665F is still kicking, I think I still have the old firmware too, but it's still going and when the Power supply gives up I'll give Samsung a call. I hope they cover the repair for everyone with this issue.
post #19149 of 19625 Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 AM

Hey everyoneI was watching a relative's 40in 61 series (4061) LCD last night and noticed some Image Retention (!) on the screen/panel. It was a logo for a news station that I was watching, and as I changed the channel, it would still appear visibly (say over a white background) on another channel. Likewise, when exiting the DirecTV menu, I noticed that the grid lines were also slighty visible for a second or two after. Anyone had this experience? What was the end result/repair? This seems ridiculous to me as its an LCD...

Her TV is out of warranty, so I'm reluctant to call a tech as I don't want her to pay $$ but this seems verrrrrry strange.....I believe it's a Chi-Mei panel as wellI told her I'll research it, and I turned the backlight down from 10 to 6she has it high because it buzzes at any setting other than 10.
post #19150 of 19625 Old 02-25-2010, 07:03 PM

So I called Samsung about my 2nd experience with the failed capacitors, knowing that they are now starting to acknowledge this issue and making things right.

I was informed that the production date on my TV (6/07) was not within the models affected by this issue. Was told it didn't start until 10/07 production dates. Uummmm... I've already had the power board replaced, now I'm having the issue again and my model isn't included in the "recall?" So they forwarded me to executive customer service and they decided to extend my parts/labor through next month so the issue could be fixed again. They informed the tech to replace 7 capacitors.

Thank you, Samsung, for finally doing the right thing and taking care of this issue. And thank you nfrankli for posting your experience.
post #19151 of 19625 Old 02-27-2010, 04:49 PM

Guys,
I have a 40" and 52" version of these sets. So far, I have not had any of the problems you are referring to about the recent cap failures. I did go through a series of board swaps and firmware upgrades when I first bought them though. I am however considering upgrading both sets to the new 640 series available at Best Buy. Here is a thread I have going...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18218141

The biggest concern is the substantial loss that I'm taking here from a money standpoint, but I have never been overly satisfied with the picture on the 4065 or 5265. I am almost willing to take the loss for the 120 Hz and improved clarity of the 640s.

What do you think...stick with what I've got or upgrade? Even though the 640s are SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper (I paid $4,000 for my 5265 in '07) than what I have now...the features blow away what I've got now. Thoughts?

Matt
post #19152 of 19625 Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 PM

Does anyone have the 1032 firmware update available? The link in the first post no longer works. Thanks!

Matt
post #19153 of 19625 Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUMatt1514 View Post

Does anyone have the 1032 firmware update available? The link in the first post no longer works. Thanks!

Matt

The 1037 firmware is hosted. The post is on the page before this one:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post18105016
post #19154 of 19625 Old 03-04-2010, 12:40 PM

Liked: 11
Well, like many others I have played around with my service menu. Do not get me wrong, I have it working just fine and still looks excellent but I was wondering if anyone can help me?

I have a LNT4066F from Best Buy that originally had 1036/1011 firmware on it (running 1032 just because it actually seemed to improve my picture quality.). I also tried 1035 and 1037 firmware and 1032 was superior to all, I read somewhere in here that 1032/1011 is a "Magic" combo and I have to agree.

So here is my question: My LNT4066F is running 1032/1011 firmware (originally 1036/1011) and has panel SS03. Basically, I need some of the Service Menu exact settings for an LNT4066F, SSO3, and 1036/1011. Any help would be most appreciated.

I had pictures of my firmware defaults in my digital camera, swore I uploaded them to my computer and then I erased my camera's memory card to let my girlfriend borrow it. Needless to say, I cannot find the pictures and the memory card has been written over.

Though my picture looks excellent, I kind of winged it with the Service menu settings. I have 40AMV (Pretty sure this was the default), Tulip-Side (read conflicting information on what that should be. Some say Tulip Side, some say BDwhatever is correct) , and Gamma 0.95. It looks very good, but I still would like to know the exact default settings for the LNT4066F.

I need the default information of the following items in the Service menu. Preferably from someone who has the same TV and has not switched settings around.

Panel Option (Tulip Side, etc.)
Panel Type (40AMV)
Gamma (these are all within the second menu after Calibration.)

Service Menu White Balance (I have mine at 128 for Contract/Brightness, 512 for gains/Offsets. This works and looks good but I know mine was different and I changed them). I realize that each TV is a bit different but I have tried other settings from the LNT4065F and they did not look bad at all.

I just would like to return my set to as close to factory as possible. It still looks excellent and such but it would be nice to have the service menu defaults and compare them to how I have it set now.

Thanks in advance and I am glad to be a member here; the calibration settings and helpful information has made me an even happier Sammy owner.
post #19155 of 19625 Old 03-07-2010, 09:33 PM

i having a problem with my sammy display, look
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18269023

You think a firmware update will fix it?
post #19156 of 19625 Old 03-07-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrencr View Post

i having a problem with my sammy display, look
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18269023

You think a firmware update will fix it?

It is certainly worth a try. You are likely experiencing some kind of hardware problem though, unfortunately.

I would try a different firmware first, make sure you get the proper firmware for your particular TV hardware. If that does not fix the problem, it is likely a blown capacitor like a lot of people seem to be experiencing.

Of course, try the easier solution first. If not, either take it to a repair shop or open it up and check all the capacitors on the boards for busted and/or leaking capacitors.

I'll say one thing, I had a bad experience with a Samsung computer monitor that only lasted 2 years (heavy use but others have held up much better) and if this TV does not last at least a few more years, I will never buy a Samsung product again (at least monitor products).

Thankfully my LNT4066F has no problems so far, I am just afraid that I will end up experiencing the same problem that many other seem to be having.
post #19157 of 19625 Old 03-07-2010, 10:51 PM

it happen in any source, i found a new firmware, now i gotta try it
weird, im trying to check my sammy software but is not coming up anymore... on help on highlighted, pressing info , can it be done in any source
anyway is not working...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricsim78 View Post

It is certainly worth a try. You are likely experiencing some kind of hardware problem though, unfortunately.

I would try a different firmware first, make sure you get the proper firmware for your particular TV hardware. If that does not fix the problem, it is likely a blown capacitor like a lot of people seem to be experiencing.

Of course, try the easier solution first. If not, either take it to a repair shop or open it up and check all the capacitors on the boards for busted and/or leaking capacitors.

I'll say one thing, I had a bad experience with a Samsung computer monitor that only lasted 2 years (heavy use but others have held up much better) and if this TV does not last at least a few more years, I will never buy a Samsung product again (at least monitor products).

Thankfully my LNT4066F has no problems so far, I am just afraid that I will end up experiencing the same problem that many other seem to be having.

post #19158 of 19625 Old 03-08-2010, 08:34 PM

Samsung is sending me firmware version 1037 on a thumb drive (I cannot believe they are doing this after I've had these sets for two years).

Any way, I am sure it will come on a USB thumb drive. I believe I recall seeing the techs that have been at my house before (back a couple of years ago) plug one in....but where? I don't see a connection for USB listed in the owner's manual.

Can someone point me in the right direction or let me know what to expect in the mail?

I have a 4066F and 5265F. Thanks!

Matt
post #19159 of 19625 Old 03-08-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Any way, I am sure it will come on a USB thumb drive. I believe I recall seeing the techs that have been at my house before (back a couple of years ago) plug one in....but where? I don't see a connection for USB listed in the owner's manual.
Matt

Do you see anything for WiseLink? I believe that's what they call it...
post #19160 of 19625 Old 03-09-2010, 12:01 AM

It's on the left side of the TV next to the other side inputs.
post #19161 of 19625 Old 03-09-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Samsung is sending me firmware version 1037 on a thumb drive (I cannot believe they are doing this after I've had these sets for two years).

Can someone point me in the right direction or let me know what to expect in the mail?

I have a 4066F and 5265F. Thanks!

Matt

Matt,

The USB slot is located on the left-hand side panel. It is right by the HDMI 3 slot.

To update your firmware, you put the USB stick in that slot, using your controller hit the menu button and hit the down arrow until you go into the Setup menu.

Once in the setup menu, keep scrolling down until you see one of the last menu items, called "SW Update" (stands for software update, naturally) hit enter on that, then enter again as it should say USB, and it will scan the USB key for the firmware. Once the firmware is found, it will ask you if you want to upgrade to whatever firmware.
post #19162 of 19625 Old 03-09-2010, 10:01 AM

Matt, can you do me a huge favor?

I have the LNT4066F as well, I have messed with my service menu a few times. Can you please look at your service menu and tell me what your defaults are for the following service menu items:
  • Panel Option (Tulip Side, etc.)
  • Panel Type (40AMV)
  • Gamma (these are all within the second menu after Calibration.)
  • Service Menu White Balance (I have mine at 128 for Contract/Brightness, 512 for gains/Offsets. This works and looks good but I know mine was different and I changed them).

If you can do that it would be great! I am just curious because I have my TV looking amazing but I am not sure if I have it how it was set from the factory (I know for a fact my white balace was different, for example).

You can find all the items I need in the Option Byte menu, and white balance menu.

I am not sure how much you know about the service menu, but there is a few precautions:

Do NOT use or hit enter on the calibrate menu item, it can mess your picture up (I could help you fix it, but don't)

It will reset all of your settings for your picture menu (make sure you write down or take pictures of all of your picture menu settings first, unless you are like me and know them by heart).

I would highly recommend you not mess with anything. Also, when you go to exit the service menu, hit power. Do not go to reset in the service menu.

If you could do this, it would be great. Thank you.

To enter the service menu, with the TV off: hit Mute, 1, 8, 2, power
post #19163 of 19625 Old 03-15-2010, 10:00 AM

I have the similar problem of powering up of LN-T5265F Samsung LCD TV. Does anyone here have the exact specs of the capacitors to be changed, and where to get them from. I really want to fix it before it gets worse.
Thanks
Sharuc
post #19164 of 19625 Old 03-15-2010, 12:33 PM

So it looks like Best Buy is going to replace the defective board on my LNT5265F. Will that fix the problem 100% ?

I was kind of hoping they would just replace the TV with a newer model lol.

Proud Aperion owner!!

post #19165 of 19625 Old 03-15-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharuc View Post

I have the similar problem of powering up of LN-T5265F Samsung LCD TV. Does anyone here have the exact specs of the capacitors to be changed, and where to get them from. I really want to fix it before it gets worse.
Thanks
Sharuc

If you look back through the past few pages, I think I remember someone posting a link to them at Radio Shack. Hopefully I'm not making that up.
post #19166 of 19625 Old 03-15-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankir View Post

So it looks like Best Buy is going to replace the defective board on my LNT5265F. Will that fix the problem 100% ?

As long as they don't replace it with a board that has bad capacitors, which happened to me. Had the board replaced and started having issues again about 7 months later. This time replaced only the capacitors (which is what Samsung instructed the repair guy to do).
post #19167 of 19625 Old 03-15-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricsim78 View Post

Well, like many others I have played around with my service menu. Do not get me wrong, I have it working just fine and still looks excellent but I was wondering if anyone can help me?

I have a LNT4066F from Best Buy that originally had 1036/1011 firmware on it (running 1032 just because it actually seemed to improve my picture quality.). I also tried 1035 and 1037 firmware and 1032 was superior to all, I read somewhere in here that 1032/1011 is a "Magic" combo and I have to agree.

So here is my question: My LNT4066F is running 1032/1011 firmware (originally 1036/1011) and has panel SS03. Basically, I need some of the Service Menu exact settings for an LNT4066F, SSO3, and 1036/1011. Any help would be most appreciated.

I had pictures of my firmware defaults in my digital camera, swore I uploaded them to my computer and then I erased my camera's memory card to let my girlfriend borrow it. Needless to say, I cannot find the pictures and the memory card has been written over.

Though my picture looks excellent, I kind of winged it with the Service menu settings. I have 40AMV (Pretty sure this was the default), Tulip-Side (read conflicting information on what that should be. Some say Tulip Side, some say BDwhatever is correct) , and Gamma 0.95. It looks very good, but I still would like to know the exact default settings for the LNT4066F.

I need the default information of the following items in the Service menu. Preferably from someone who has the same TV and has not switched settings around.

Panel Option (Tulip Side, etc.)
Panel Type (40AMV)
Gamma (these are all within the second menu after Calibration.)

Service Menu White Balance (I have mine at 128 for Contract/Brightness, 512 for gains/Offsets. This works and looks good but I know mine was different and I changed them). I realize that each TV is a bit different but I have tried other settings from the LNT4065F and they did not look bad at all.

I just would like to return my set to as close to factory as possible. It still looks excellent and such but it would be nice to have the service menu defaults and compare them to how I have it set now.

Thanks in advance and I am glad to be a member here; the calibration settings and helpful information has made me an even happier Sammy owner.

Wow, thanks all for the wonderful help!

Ok, ANYONE with a LNT4065F/LNT4066F/LNT4665F, can you please tell me your white balance settings in the service menu? I have 128, 512, 512, 512, 128, 512, 512, 512 at the moment.

I just would like to know that and the default panel for a LNT4066F. I believe it is supposed to be BRD (Bordeux) even thought I have mine set to Tulip Side now.

Thanks in advance for the help, if I ever get any.
post #19168 of 19625 Old 03-15-2010, 05:23 PM

Hi --

I wanted to get your expert opinions to help me make a decision. The HDMI In on my Samsung LNT-4061F has never worked. I bought the TV in early 2008. It took me awhile to figure this out. Anyway, I brought it in to Abt Electronics, where I originally purchased it, and they are quoting me about $300 to replace the board and get it working. Is it worth it? My understanding is that I will never be able to get 1080p (blu-ray) without HDMI. Is that the case?

Thanks!
Andrew
post #19169 of 19625 Old 03-18-2010, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post

No offense, but this is a SAMSUNG thread
Unless Haier is made by Samsung, you will probably want to ask your question somewhere else

No offense taken RVD26 but the insides of this TV was made by Samsung so doesn't that mean it's Samsung junk I'm trying to fix?
Haier has no such thing as customer service and the INTERNET I've been searching for a couple years this is the closes I've came to some help.
post #19170 of 19625 Old 03-18-2010, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post

No offense, but this is a SAMSUNG thread
Unless Haier is made by Samsung, you will probably want to ask your question somewhere else

No offence taken but the insides of this TV was made by SAMSUNG so isn't it SAMSUNG junk I'm trying to fix?
Any help would be great
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page