Official Samsung LN-TXX61F/65F/66F Owner's Thread III - with *updated* first post. - Page 642 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2010, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a 2007 4661. I have Comcast, but do not have HD service. However, I have always gotten CBS, NBC, FOX, and ABC in HD (shows up as local channel number with a hyphen and a 1).

However, after several months, reception of these "Free" HD channels gets spotty, and then they no longer are available. The set jumps to another channel.

I have another Samsung (model 500 which was close to the 4661). This one keeps getting the HD channels. So this tells me that there is something funky with the tuner section.

Are there others here who lose programmed (scanned) HD channels? I can get them back by running the scan channels setup, but why is it losing them after several months?

Its running 1037 for the software. One board was replaced because I got the HDMI handshaking issue where it would flash pink when using my Sony PS-3. However, they still replaced it with the early board, a 1004 I believe... same that was in it when manufactured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2010, 02:10 PM

Just had an interesting experience with Samsung Canada:

I've got the "Sound yes, picture no" issue. It's intermittent, and once the TV is on with the picture working, it's fine. Today, though, I couldn't get a picture for a couple hours so called samsung just for kicks.

Rep listens to my issues and says: Well, this TV is 3 years old and out of warranty but this is a known issue with the capacitors so we'll send someone to fix it. No charge.

I booked the appointment for Tuesday at 9. I'm astonished at this response given that I was expecting no help at all. I suggest any Canadian owners give this a try. Can't speak for the US.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 PM

I have a Samsung 4661F
Here is the firmware information
MODULE - T-TULPAUSL-1014
MICOM - T-TULPAUSS-1011
ACL - T-TULPAUSG 1007
I was able to use all the HDMI ports until recently when it started showing me the message
'Your HDTV does not support HDCP".

Hope somebody can help me out
Old 06-24-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrscot View Post

My TV was made 8/2007. However, I had the power board replaced 2/2008 so not sure if Samsung took this into consideration when they agreed to fix my TV. They did not acknowledge this as a possibility, only said that they would repair my TV this one time as a courtesy.

Someone sent me a PM asking for the address I used.

Customer Service and Technical Support
400 Valley Rd, Suite 201
Mount Arlington, NJ. 07856

The guy that called me was in CT and was very nice. This was their executive level call center.

I would have repaired this myself if this attempt failed. For those that are handy it should be very doable. There are many videos online that show people doing this themselves. If you do feel you can do it, find a friend that can.

Thanks for the information on this. My 3 year old 4066F was having HDMI Dropouts and Flashes. I started upgrading my HD equipment (Xbox, BluRay) that use HDMI and the dropouts were annoying.

I wrote and letter and received a call within a few days. He was very nice and extended the warranty. Tech came and replaced the board to 1008/1034. While it was apart I checked the capacitors and they look perfect.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:10 PM

I have a really dumb question as I am kind of new to this...I had my LNT4061fx for almost 3 years now, since the beginning I always had HDMI drop outs but they were few and far between...Recently (2months before extended warranty is up) it happens everyday now, so i brought it in and they said its either firmware or the board, my orginal board was 1004/not sure of the firmware....on top of this I was a royal douche and messed with the hdmi calibration settings on the service menu, my question is if they replace the board will that take care of my calibration stupidity ?? any info would be great thanks.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:46 PM

I have a 2 year old LN-T4665F with the power cycling problems described here. I called Samsung, described the clicking problem and they read me a statement regarding replacement of the capacitors. Set me up with a free service call to replace them. I will report back after the service call.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s6a1c7o View Post

I have a really dumb question as I am kind of new to this...I had my LNT4061fx for almost 3 years now, since the beginning I always had HDMI drop outs but they were few and far between...Recently (2months before extended warranty is up) it happens everyday now, so i brought it in and they said its either firmware or the board, my orginal board was 1004/not sure of the firmware....on top of this I was a royal douche and messed with the hdmi calibration settings on the service menu, my question is if they replace the board will that take care of my calibration stupidity ?? any info would be great thanks.

Yes if you get a new board the service menu will reset. I think if you upgrade the firmware it should reset to the mfg settings. You need board 1008 or higher. I looked at the board before he installed it and it read "Tulip Upgrade Complete". After the board install I had to go to the service menu and change one thing under Option Byte to Tulip Side. READ first page of this forum scroll down a little to UPDATE June 23. Don't change anything else. You may have to change the bit and screen on your 4061. The Tech may not know to do this. Mine didn't.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:55 PM

I was wondering if there was any update needed for my set!

I got an LN-T4665F
T-TULPAUS0-1036 Aug 24 2007
T-TULPAUS5-1011

seems to get some more noticable handshake!
Old 07-04-2010, 06:58 PM

I've done some searching with not much luck... so maybe some of you can help me out.

I've got a Samsung LN-T5265F LCD HDTV... had it about 3 years now. At the 13 month mark, the panel died and I had it replaced under warranty.

Now.. about a week ago... my wife tells me that on 3 occasions, each after 30min - 1 hour or so after turning on the TV, it starts to show red / pink dots all over the screen. I never got the opportunity to see it until tonight.

This evening, she turned on the TV, and the dots were there right away. Red, white, and pink/magenta pixels all over the screen. Most were flashing on and off... but some were stuck. I power cycled the TV and it cleared up.

Ideas?
Old 07-04-2010, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccorry View Post

I've done some searching with not much luck... so maybe some of you can help me out.

I've got a Samsung LN-T5265F LCD HDTV... had it about 3 years now. At the 13 month mark, the panel died and I had it replaced under warranty.

Now.. about a week ago... my wife tells me that on 3 occasions, each after 30min - 1 hour or so after turning on the TV, it starts to show red / pink dots all over the screen. I never got the opportunity to see it until tonight.

This evening, she turned on the TV, and the dots were there right away. Red, white, and pink/magenta pixels all over the screen. Most were flashing on and off... but some were stuck. I power cycled the TV and it cleared up.

Ideas?

Search this thread for 'pink pixels'....
Old 07-05-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

Search this thread for 'pink pixels'....

Just did... thanks! Looks like I might have some capacitors getting ready to die.
I've not had any turn on, clicking, looping... just the pixel issue so far.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:01 AM

I've got an issue and would appreciate any thoughts that will help me determine what needs servicing.

Recently, a display problem appears in a vertical band about 2-3 inches wide just to the left of center. Most notably, when the picture changes, I'll see some streaking or pixelation noise in the band. After a second or two, the noise will settle down, but the image appears 'offset' to the right a bit. It's almost like a Photoshop clone tool was used straight down the set. It's most noticeable when verticle lines or circles appear in this band. It also happens at all resoltuions (but less so at lower res) and occurs when viewing the TV menu regardless of the input being used.

Once I get the serial number, I'll call Sumsung, but the tv (LN-T4661F) is more than 2.5 years old, and I've pulled the power cable for 30 mins and disconnected all inputs to test cleanly. My firmware screen has both mentions of 1007 and 1011, so I doubt it's a firmware thing (but I wish it was).

What would be the most likely culprit? I want to avoid paying for a part that's not the solution.

Are there Samsung service centers I can drop the set off with? Or do people find no difference in cost or quality by letting someone come visit?

I'm still trying to determine what causes this issue to appear. I'm currently wondering if it could be a humidity or noisy power issue. I also wonder if something's overheating since the room is filled with dust from rolls of burlap. I threw out my back, which is delaying my project of taking it down for a cleaning.
Here's a couple images showing the problem. The first shows the 'offset' while the second has blank area showing the 'dancing' activity that also appears. This happens even viewing OTA shows, usually during the fine print in car ads.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:46 PM

Liked: 11
Hey guys,

The last few days my tv has been taking longer to start. Sometimes, it will start up fine, but then after a few minutes on it will cycle to search for a signal an then turn itself on. Mind you, the tv has been sitting in storage for about a month.

I have a tech coming out on Thursday from calling samsung, but they said if its not a capacitor issue I will be charged $79.99.

Here are some pictures. I don't see any bulging. I am thinking about canceling the appointment and if it gets worse call back. DO you guys see anything????

Old 07-06-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_M View Post

Hey guys,

The last few days my tv has been taking longer to start. Sometimes, it will start up fine, but then after a few minutes on it will cycle to search for a signal an then turn itself on. Mind you, the tv has been sitting in storage for about a month.

I have a tech coming out on Thursday from calling samsung, but they said if its not a capacitor issue I will be charged $79.99.

Here are some pictures. I don't see any bulging. I am thinking about canceling the appointment and if it gets worse call back. DO you guys see anything????

Those caps look fine.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:38 PM

Forgive me if a search through this thread would solve my answer (but 600+ pages is a lot). Anyways, my parents have a LNT4061FX. Under firmware the top number is: 1014 and the bottom number 1011. I believe I needn't upgrade my firmware?

Anyways the issue is that recently about once a day when my parents would go to turn on the TV it will not turn on right away. It will keep making the clicking noise as if it keeps turning on and off over and over again before it eventually decides to turn on.

Would anyone have any insight into what the problem may be? I mean we've never had any other issues with HDMI dropouts or anything.

If it matters, I do not have any images of the capacitors nor do I even know what their condition is. My parents might get a little excited / worried if I try to take their first and only HDTV apart.

EDIT - If bad capacitors is the issue, what is the best way to go about fixing them?

Old 07-11-2010, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
First call Samsung. Mention that the TV clicks, is slow to power on, and you think it may be an issue with bad capacitors. After much arm twisting by angry customers Samsung has finally admitted they used faulty parts and are agreeing to do the repairs free of charge, even if the TV is out of warranty.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminac View Post

First call Samsung. Mention that the TV clicks, is slow to power on, and you think it may be an issue with bad capacitors. After much arm twisting by angry customers Samsung has finally admitted they used faulty parts and are agreeing to do the repairs free of charge, even if the TV is out of warranty.

Thanks for the reply i will make sure to place a call to them tomorrow. By the was also told by my parents (just earlier today) that the TV will occasionally shut off on them for no reason at all and after they turn it back on then it takes longer to flip through channels and sometimes it will be so bad as to throw weak or no signal errors in their face when it otherwise shouldn't.

So again thanks for the reply. Now I have an semi-related question. From what I've been reading and correct me if I am wrong, but based upon the firmware numbers I quoted in my earlier post, I have a good mainboard and I shouldn't need to do a software firmware update or rather that I shouldn't. Is this true and if a Samsung tech comes out to fix the TV should I worry about them updating the TV?

I'm only asking because I have my own TV that I deal with and do not worry as much about my parents TV, but when they tell me there's problems and I come on here for help I become overwhelmed by the triple thread, 1000+ page combined total topic discussion on this line of TVs. I mean it is a lot of information to wade through and to find out what info is relevant to their specific TV can be a bit cumbersome.

So yes thank you and everyone else for the help.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:27 PM

I have a LNT4665F with the latest firmware. I turned it on this weekend and got this...

I pulled tha back cover but saw no capacitor problems or anything else that looked bad. Through my research this weekend it seems a few other people have had this white screen problem. This happens no matter what input is used and for a brief moment it went back to normal only to go white again.
If anyone knows what this problem is please chime in.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:28 PM

Is there a way to use the Zoom feature on HDMI inputs? Both zoom 1 and zoom 2 are grayed out when the source is from a HDMI input. I use my PS3 to play bluray movies and would like to be able to zoom in on movies in widescreen to remove the black bars at the top and bottom on the screen.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:52 PM

Well, my pink pixel issue has now turned into the dreaded click delay on problem. I called Samsung last night and they agreed to repair (replace the caps) the TV for no charge.

Waiting on a call from a service tech.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey guys, I need some help here. I have the Samsung LNT-4061F LCD.

My set goes off its extended 3 year warranty in less than a month. Unfortunately, it's from circuit city and the company that bought those warranties have been a bunch of aholes in the past. Someone was supposed to come out Wednesday to look at the set, but n one has contacted me yet from the local service center.

Anyway, here's my question: I've been reading all the reports on this thread about the pink pixel issue. Mine seems to be similar, but different enough for me to ask on this forum if my problem is the same - when i turn my set on, it often has green dots all over the right side of the screen, along with a white "tear" on the top left part. The rest of the screen is covered with other weir stuff, some violet. But not much. Much more green and white text and dots.

I'll attach a few pics to show what I mean.

Any input would be much appreciated, since the service guy is supposed to be here Wednesday (today).

Thanks!
LL
LL
Old 07-14-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccorry View Post

Well, my pink pixel issue has now turned into the dreaded click delay on problem. I called Samsung last night and they agreed to repair (replace the caps) the TV for no charge.

Waiting on a call from a service tech.

Service tech came by today and replaced 5 capacitors.

4 of the 5 were blown.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smail.nathan View Post

Hey guys, I need some help here. I have the Samsung LNT-4061F LCD.

My set goes off its extended 3 year warranty in less than a month. Unfortunately, it's from circuit city and the company that bought those warranties have been a bunch of aholes in the past. Someone was supposed to come out Wednesday to look at the set, but n one has contacted me yet from the local service center.

Anyway, here's my question: I've been reading all the reports on this thread about the pink pixel issue. Mine seems to be similar, but different enough for me to ask on this forum if my problem is the same - when i turn my set on, it often has green dots all over the right side of the screen, along with a white "tear" on the top left part. The rest of the screen is covered with other weir stuff, some violet. But not much. Much more green and white text and dots.

I'll attach a few pics to show what I mean.

Any input would be much appreciated, since the service guy is supposed to be here Wednesday (today).

Thanks!

anyone? service never came out anyway - but I still need help here.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:21 PM

Well as a few others did, I sent a letter to Samsung about a week ago and received a call today. I don't know what level customer support he was or anything, but he says that I have to get a diagnostic run on my TV to determine what the problem is (I have the HDMI dropouts and pink/green flashes so I believe it's the mainboard). Unfortunately, the closest authorized service company is 67 miles away so I have a feeling it won't be cheap to have them come out. I'm going to call them tomorrow however and see what they say.

It does seem however, that while I might have to pay for it initially, they would reimburse me for the cost. I didn't get into the details on that yet but my take was that they are planning on helping me fix it, but they need someone to come out and verify what the problem actually is.

Regardless, this is a much better response than when I tried to call in to customer service a year ago.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:37 PM

Hi all,

On my LNT-4661F, I'm suddenly getting a permanent "No Signal" on my three HDMI sources (a TiVo HD box, a Blu-Ray player, and a PC). Having read much of this thread, I'd ask is this "the" HDMI problem ... but it sounds different. No intermittent dropping, no dropping of only audio or only video; the signals never tune. Background:

--The TV is about 2.5 years old.
--All three of these sources worked fine every day for those years until now.
--Other inputs (such as connecting the Blu-Ray through composite video) work.
--No slow-to-boot, no clicking noise, no pink pixels, no banding, etc. No other problems ever, really.
--I tried disconnecting power for 30 seconds [actually 1 minute] and reconnecting, as the manual instructs. That was no help.
--Firmware (Etc.) versions display as below:
MODULE: T-TULPAUSC-1011, DATE: [this is blank]
MICOM: T-TULPAUSS-1011, ACL: T-TULPAUSG-1006
KERNEL: [this is blank]
(I've never done any updates to it, nor futzed with service mode etc.)

Has anyone seen this problem and have any recommendations?
Thanks!
Dave
Old 07-15-2010, 11:18 AM

I had a similar experience with Samsung Canada, my 2 yr old LN530 52" started the dreaded click of death one afternoon and they said the same thing about a one time fix at no charge. What they didn't say was if it was not the capacitors causing the issue i would be charged a $100 service call fee by the contracted tech. $100 is alot to gamble on a possible issue so when i called back Samsung Canada to request they simply indicate to the tech to replace the capacitors regardless of their condition to avoid me having to pay the $100 if its not the problem i was hung up on by a very aggresive nasty supervisor. I took the thing apart myself and confirmed that one of the caps has indeed begun to fail.

Attachment 180454

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongoose View Post

Just had an interesting experience with Samsung Canada:

I've got the "Sound yes, picture no" issue. It's intermittent, and once the TV is on with the picture working, it's fine. Today, though, I couldn't get a picture for a couple hours so called samsung just for kicks.

Rep listens to my issues and says: Well, this TV is 3 years old and out of warranty but this is a known issue with the capacitors so we'll send someone to fix it. No charge.

I booked the appointment for Tuesday at 9. I'm astonished at this response given that I was expecting no help at all. I suggest any Canadian owners give this a try. Can't speak for the US.

LL
Old 07-19-2010, 10:51 AM

So I came back to this thread hoping there was a firmware update or something since I've been having problems with my TV. I guess it turns out to be this capacitor issue -- it turns on and off a few times before starting up, purple pixels etc. Problem is that it was made in 07/07 and from the sound of things in this thread they won't honor the recall in that case? Sounds pretty messed up but I guess I'll give Samsung a call when I have a chance.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:46 AM

I am also having issues with the power cycling and clicking and purple/pink snow. Took my TV apart last night, and there are 4 out of 5 of the 10v caps that are bulging/leaking. I called Samsung and spoke to CS and ECR. My TV was made before the free out of warranty service range... July 07. I will attempt the fix myself this weekend.

Update:
Got anxious. Borrowed a soldering gun from a co-worker and passed by RadioShack to pick up the 35v 1000uF capacitors. Took apart the TV and replaced the 4 capacitors in about 2 hours max. TV turned on without any of its previous issues. Saved a couple hundred dollars. Thanks for all the input on this thread!
Old 07-24-2010, 05:36 AM

Would anyone be kind enough to re-host the Samsung Firmware 1036 or 1037 again? I've searched all over and I cant find a link that is still functioning.

I've got the LN-T4066F with 1016 and 1004, and the HDMI signal drops, etc are horrible. It's out of warranty, so I thought I'd give the firmware update a try since some people have had good experiences with it.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:43 PM

Anyone? Help a fellow sammy owner in pain with that firmware update.