Official Westinghouse TX Series ( TX-42F430S, TX-47F430S ) Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by [variable] View Post

... I'm guessing that everyone is thumbs up with this TV, right?
I've tried to browse through the pages, and I'm stunned by the technical research going on, and EXTREMELY thankful for it, but... have any of you watched a movie on it? or simply turned on the TV and relaxed?

This TV looks like it will be my first HDTV purchase, and everything I read in this thread says thats a good idea.

I will be connecting it to Comcast HD Cable, and I have an older Sony 5.1 surround sound receiver that does a great job to my non-audiophile ears. I guess I'll have to get an Upscalling DVD player, but I plan on getting an XBOX360 soon though, and will use that as the HD player when the expansion drive comes out. (I'm waiting on the HD consoles until I have an HD TV).

So, everyone likes this TV?
It does the job?

Any final thoughts directed to a tech-savvy guy who feels dumb reading this thread???

Again, amazing work on the technical discussion, thank you.

I absolutely love it - it was well worth the wait. I have watched HD via QAM and it is stunning. I am even extremely pleased with crumby old SD analog cable (I posted some pictures a couple of pages back).

This weekend I am going to rent a Bluray movie... Ridge Racer 7 in 1080p on the PS3 is out of this world - it will drop anyone's jaw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:

I've tried to browse through the pages, and I'm stunned by the technical research going on, and EXTREMELY thankful for it, but... have any of you watched a movie on it? or simply turned on the TV and relaxed?

This TV looks like it will be my first HDTV purchase, and everything I read in this thread says thats a good idea.

I will be connecting it to Comcast HD Cable, and I have an older Sony 5.1 surround sound receiver that does a great job to my non-audiophile ears. I guess I'll have to get an Upscalling DVD player, but I plan on getting an XBOX360 soon though, and will use that as the HD player when the expansion drive comes out. (I'm waiting on the HD consoles until I have an HD TV).

It does the job?

Any final thoughts directed to a tech-savvy guy who feels dumb reading this thread???

I've been happy with the results of my Sony upconvert DVD player (1080i capable, but running it in 720p). It just seemed to look better in 720p to me. I'm running my TWC SA 8300HD DVR cable box in 1080i mode, but I also have it set to 720p and 480p support modes. Without those set, the cable box upconverts the signal and puts gray bars on the sides (I only like 4:3 sources displayed in 4:3). To get black bars, I had to let the cable box pass the other display formats... 720p and 480p.

With some of the tweaking it appears we're now getting into on this thread, hopefully we'll come up with some values that make this TV look outstanding. I think the picture looks good now, but I'm looking forward to adjusting further.
post #273 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggybear View Post

I absolutely love it - it was well worth the wait. I have watched HD via QAM and it is stunning. I am even extremely pleased with crumby old SD analog cable (I posted some pictures a couple of pages back).

This weekend I am going to rent a Bluray movie... Ridge Racer 7 in 1080p on the PS3 is out of this world - it will drop anyone's jaw.

I know a HD DVD player is in my future now... very near future.
post #274 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:

However, turning the backlight to 0 seems to take a way a lot of the "punch" from the picture. I briefly tried compensating by increasing the brightness, but I find that setting the brightness to anything over 50 causes the picture to look washed out (blacks turn grey).

So right now I have the backlight at 30.

TX owners - what do you have your backlight setting at?

huggybear, try setting your brightness lower, around 40 and turning the constrast up to about 60. I checked a couple AVIA test screens and found those values to work better than the defaults. I don't have color filters so I wasn't able to do any AVIA color calibration but I just ordered some THX blue filters.

I vary the backlight depending on the amount of ambient light in the room. For nighttime viewing i've had it around 20-30 and for daytime it's usually around 50-60. We watched Pirates of the Carribian on Bluray the night we got the set and it looked great even though it was pretty much on the default settings. We'll be watching the sequel probably tomorrow night with the lower brightness, higher contrast & lower backlight.

If anyone has performed a color calibration I'm sure everyone would appreciate their result values!
post #275 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradg View Post

I've been happy with the results of my Sony upconvert DVD player (1080i capable, but running it in 720p). It just seemed to look better in 720p to me. I'm running my TWC SA 8300HD DVR cable box in 1080i mode, but I also have it set to 720p and 480p support modes. Without those set, the cable box upconverts the signal and puts gray bars on the sides (I only like 4:3 sources displayed in 4:3). To get black bars, I had to let the cable box pass the other display formats... 720p and 480p.

jbradg, check out the SA 8300 settings menu. You can change the pillarboxing color there. I think the choices are light, medium, dark. Let me know what you think about the SA 8300 upscaling standard definiton to 1080i VS letting the TX upscale it.
post #276 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbs159 View Post

jbradg, check out the SA 8300 settings menu. You can change the pillarboxing color there. I think the choices are light, medium, dark. Let me know what you think about the SA 8300 upscaling standard definiton to 1080i VS letting the TX upscale it.

The manual from the SA web site suggests that I can make those changes, but it appears Time Warner has changed the Passport OS and I cannot get to that option, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.
post #277 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I highly recommend shelling out the $600 and getting a PS3 - not only are you getting a killer game system, you also get a DVD and Blu-Ray player... most importantly, you are actually getting a computer that you can run Linux off of. Sony does not hide this fact - there is even an option in the menu to install another OS.

Once you get Linux on there, the possibilities are endless. There is even talk going on about getting the XBOX external HD-DVD drive running on the Linux PS3!! Once this happens, you will have an all-in-one unit to feed your TX - using only one HDMI connection!
post #278 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

man, can't a brotha get a decently priced LCD with QAM tuner, and no PC or scaling problems?
post #279 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

huggybear, try setting your brightness lower, around 40 and turning the constrast up to about 60. I checked a couple AVIA test screens and found those values to work better than the defaults. I don't have color filters so I wasn't able to do any AVIA color calibration but I just ordered some THX blue filters.

I vary the backlight depending on the amount of ambient light in the room. For nighttime viewing i've had it around 20-30 and for daytime it's usually around 50-60. We watched Pirates of the Carribian on Bluray the night we got the set and it looked great even though it was pretty much on the default settings. We'll be watching the sequel probably tomorrow night with the lower brightness, higher contrast & lower backlight.

If anyone has performed a color calibration I'm sure everyone would appreciate their result values!

Thanks nibbs159 - I will play with those settings tonight.

Where do you order the color filters to perform the complete AVIA calibration?

Has anyone every used that SpyderTV colorimeter? For $200 you get this device that you hang over your set (works with LCD, Plasma, DLP, RPTV) and it is supposed to "scientifically" measure all your settings and automatically adjust them.
post #280 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The AVIA color filters come inside the DVD case when you buy the calibration disk. If they are missing the disk can only be used to make those adjustments that do not need them.

They are not available seperately AFAIK, you need to buy the disk again.

Gary

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #281 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The camera is a Canon Powershot S230. I would say it has pretty accurate reds but I don't really have anything to compare it to. The white balance seemed like it was having trouble taking pictures of the TV. Perhaps I'll try again with daylight. I used a 12" G4 Powerbook with a NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 video card. No problems with DVI > HDMI cable. I've been sticking with the neutral color temp because I thought the whites looked whiter but I'll have to give warm a shot for a bit. Though the backlight was set to 30, I think the photos look a bit brighter than the actual viewing experience. Compared to the LVM-42w2, the TX is much brighter when the backlight is at 100 and darker when the backlight is at 0. Also, the TX backlight changes in increments of 10 while the LVM changed in increments of 1. I do appreciate the brightness during certain times of the day. We have a lot of windows in our living room and its much easier to watch the TX when the room is very lit.

Another good reason to ignore specs on things like this. According to specification the TX does not achieve the peak brightness that the 42w2 can, but I trust what you say first. The 42w2 was bright enough to make one's eyes bleed and if the TX can get brighter I just don't see the point. Zero backlight on the 42w2 was actually just about right. You definitely want to stick with the warm color temp setting. This comes the closest to D6500 which is reference white. Anything else is a higher color temp which introduces a blue tint to the picture. It corrupts color purity. Few people really notice until they've spent some time with a monitor or display that's truly been calibrated to D6500, even most computer monitors fail at this. Once you can spot D6500 white you'll never want to be without it. It just looks more natural.
post #282 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Xcalibur_255 - Thanks for the backlight tip... after reading your post I checked the default settings and the backlight is almost set to the max (90%).

I turned it off completely and not only do the blacks look great, the overall picture improved quite a bit (flaws are much less noticeable).

However, turning the backlight to 0 seems to take a way a lot of the "punch" from the picture. I briefly tried compensating by increasing the brightness, but I find that setting the brightness to anything over 50 causes the picture to look washed out (blacks turn grey).

So right now I have the backlight at 30.

TX owners - what do you have your backlight setting at?

The best way to "reset" your brain's natural tendency to retain visual information (which is what's causing you to think the picture looks flat at zero backlight) is to set it right before you turn it off for the night then begin watching with the new setting the next day. The contrast will look perfectly fine to you except you'll be missing the eye strain that comes with running the backlight too high. At max backlight this tv is throwing well in excess of 500 candela/m2 which is just way too much. Anything over 300 produces noticable eye strain and forces the eye to work much harder to resolve details and focus. A comfortable level is about 200 which is about what the TX should produce with the backlight set at minimum. This level is still too high for proper light output if one wants to get close to THX specifications for movie viewing purposes, but people are naturally attracted to brighter images. You have to forcefully break yourself of the desire. Technically speaking the panel's contrast performance is actually as good at minimum backlight as it is at max (something that's not true of ALL LCD panels, but it's thankfully true of these ones). It's our persistence of vision that's making us think the lower lighting is dull looking. Try the min setting the way I suggested and stick with it for a while. Then after a week turn it back to max and be blown away by how insanely overbright it seems to you.
post #283 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

I have a LVM-32w6 but there's a few things I can add..

1. USB Firmware port - I wouldn't base any buying decision on this. The 32w6 has one and we went over this in our thread through communcation with Westinghouse. They don't send you or give Bestbuy (or any inhome tech) the ability to upgrade your firmware. The only way to get it upgraded is if there's something wrong and you have to send it to Westinghouse. Unless Westy's policy has changed, this is the way they do it so its pretty much useless to us.

2. The 32w6 has Standard and Fill mode, no overscan. Standard as explained in here is 1:1 mapping with no overscan on every source input. Fill depends on the resolution that is being sent to the input port. If it's a 4:3 resolution it will stretch it horizontally to fill the screen and use overscan. If it's a 16:9 it just applies overscan on all 4 sides zooming it evenly.

I believe it's by resolution.. based on what i've seen with my cablebox and VGA/pc input. What's interesting though is that my cablebox is supposed to sending everything at 720p but yet the TV knows when i'm on SD channels it does the stretch+overscan.

Also, does anyone have the box dimensions of the 42"
post #284 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post

Cozmogeek, make sure you're hddvd player is outputting hdmi, cycle thru the input....after updating, the player goes back to outputting thru component....hope that helps...

I tried everything. THe HDMI ports on the TX tv do not work with the HD-A20. If I let it sit there for 2-5 minutes the picture will suddenly come on, but then dies again as soon as I try to start playing something or it changes resolution again.

Just to check I hooked it up to my projector and the image popped right up the first time with no issues.

Add another bug to the list of issues with this tv I guess..
post #285 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:

You might want to look at what I posted. At least for me with the Toshiba HD-A20 it does not work with this tv.

Has anybody got an HD-DVD player working on this tv via HDMI?
post #286 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I highly recommend shelling out the $600 and getting a PS3 - not only are you getting a killer game system, you also get a DVD and Blu-Ray player... most importantly, you are actually getting a computer that you can run Linux off of. Sony does not hide this fact - there is even an option in the menu to install another OS.

Once you get Linux on there, the possibilities are endless. There is even talk going on about getting the XBOX external HD-DVD drive running on the Linux PS3!! Once this happens, you will have an all-in-one unit to feed your TX - using only one HDMI connection!

I've been telling myself to hold off on getting a ps3 but i'm afraid after I setup the tx47 I'm going to be "compelled" to buy one. Having an outstanding upconverting dvd player and the possibility of blu-ray is gonna probably push me to buy it. I'm all for blu-ray, I just think it will be a pain at first since I will only have one blu-ray player (ps3), but multiple displays. I'm not a big fan of moving components around but I may not have a choice..
post #287 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 11:13 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

It does the job?

Hello [variable],

You are on the right track with the Westinghouse TX-47F430s & the TX line.

While other threads are discussing(venting) about their experiences with defects and difficulties based on many other brands of LCD panels, the Westinghouse LVM & TX series threads are discussing how to get the most of these excellent panels.

Your in good company.

~b3nz0n8

WESTY: TX-47F430s & LVM-47w1 & DELL m2010 Remote
PICS:
#1 Dell m2010 RH515
#2 WH
#3 (COLOR)
TX SERIES
post #288 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard_x View Post

1. USB Firmware port - I wouldn't base any buying decision on this. The 32w6 has one and we went over this in our thread through communcation with Westinghouse. They don't send you or give Bestbuy (or any inhome tech) the ability to upgrade your firmware. The only way to get it upgraded is if there's something wrong and you have to send it to Westinghouse. Unless Westy's policy has changed, this is the way they do it so its pretty much useless to us.

This is exactly what I was "afraid" of. The feature can largely be useless for the most part unless Westy is willing to let people update the firmware themselves (which is probably not very likely).

Quote:

2. The 32w6 has Standard and Fill mode, no overscan. Standard as explained in here is 1:1 mapping with no overscan on every source input. Fill depends on the resolution that is being sent to the input port. If it's a 4:3 resolution it will stretch it horizontally to fill the screen and use overscan. If it's a 16:9 it just applies overscan on all 4 sides zooming it evenly.

I'm not sure what cable provider you have but I have verizon Fios, and I dont believe the box upconverts SD signals. I have the hd-dvr box and it looks like it sends either 480i/p to your tv depending on what setting you set in the menu.

Does anyone know if Fios has any QAM channels (I know this isn't the forum but just curious)? I dont really care since I use a STB anyway, but would be neat to test the qam tuner. I'm guessing no but maybe it does..
post #289 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 11:25 AM

The westinghouse lady on the phone right now says we probably won't be able to update the firmware ourselves.. they'd have to send someone out to do it.

She's basically saying I should get a different dvd player to fix my hdmi problem (hah).

I told her about the hdmi ports dying, hdmi not working wiht my hd-dvd, and the 480p/i stretch problem.
post #290 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmogeek View Post

The westinghouse lady on the phone right now says we probably won't be able to update the firmware ourselves.. they'd have to send someone out to do it.

She's basically saying I should get a different dvd player to fix my hdmi problem (hah).

I told her about the hdmi ports dying, hdmi not working wiht my hd-dvd, and the 480p/i stretch problem.

Well, if that's the case with the firmware, I hope with my BB warranty I can get the Geeks at the Squad to come out and do any firmware upgrades I need for free. :-)
post #291 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 11:29 AM

Cozmogeek, did you unplug the A20 for a couple of minutes after updating? Unplug the hdmi and power to the A20 for a couple of minutes, then retry and see if that works, also, did you reinitialize the player after the update? Do you turn the tv on first and then the A20?
post #292 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Well, if that's the case with the firmware, I hope with my BB warranty I can get the Geeks at the Squad to come out and do any firmware upgrades I need for free. :-)

Hehe i asked her if they'd send the geek squad out and she said no. It sounds like they contract out local tv repair companies.
post #293 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Cozmogeek, did you unplug the A20 for a couple of minutes after updating? Unplug the hdmi and power to the A20 for a couple of minutes, then retry and see if that works, also, did you reinitialize the player after the update? Do you turn the tv on first and then the A20?

I tried unplugging it but not for very long. I tried all kinds of powering on and off in various orders. I did do the initialize aftward too.
post #294 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 11:33 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard_x:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz:
This is exactly what I was "afraid" of. The feature can largely be useless for the most part unless Westy is willing to let people update the firmware themselves (which is probably not very likely).

Hello Mikeoz,

I believe the method of service that BB and Westinghouse will use to approach issues with the Westinghouse panels, is changing.

With Westinghouse and BB in partnership, Westinghouse has "empowered" BB and the Geek Squad to handle and determine the plan of attack on the issues that arise. This includes repair/replacement/upgrades(firmware), based on the issue.....

This will be tested on both of my LVM47's in the next few weeks.

If the Geek Squad can obtain the VGA dongle, provide the 1.06 Firmware upgrade and do it successfully...they most certainly can handle the TX line USB Firmware upgrade.

I hope this is the case..and will let you know if it is a success.

~b3nz0n8

WESTY: TX-47F430s & LVM-47w1 & DELL m2010 Remote
PICS:
#1 Dell m2010 RH515
#2 WH
#3 (COLOR)
TX SERIES
post #295 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 11:34 AM

Cozmogeek, did you check your settings in the menu? They all default back to original after updating, maybe something is wrong there....
post #296 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 11:35 AM

Cozmogeek, also try all other hdmi inputs, maybe just that one doesn't work, you never know...
post #297 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Cozmogeek, did you check your settings in the menu? They all default back to original after updating, maybe something is wrong there....

Do you have this player working on this tv?
I'm not doing anything wrong, it just doesn't work hehe
It works just dandy on my projector.
post #298 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard_x View Post

Also, does anyone have the box dimensions of the 42"

I don't believe anyone has the 42" yet. At least I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet. I had to special order mine through BB and will get it on June 22nd.
post #299 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmogeek View Post

You might want to look at what I posted. At least for me with the Toshiba HD-A20 it does not work with this tv.

Has anybody got an HD-DVD player working on this tv via HDMI?

It's equally possible that it's the Toshiba's fault too. HDMI handshaking is a bloody mess and doesn't seem to work well on many tvs.
post #300 of 6175 Old 05-31-2007, 11:40 AM

Cozmogeek, no, I don't have the tv yet, but will later this year, hopefully....try changing the output to 1080i or 1080p and see if that makes a difference...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
470uf cap , Westinghouse Tx 42f430s 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , westinghouse tx-47f430s
Gear in this thread - 470uf by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page