Official Westinghouse TX Series ( TX-42F430S, TX-47F430S ) Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6183 Old 06-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure what other people's impressions are but so far the tx47 has been great. I recently picked up a ps3 and it's a great upconverting dvd player. One thing I've noticed is that the auto-switching doesn't seem to work with HDMI (I'm currently using only HDMI 2). Has anyone else noticed this or perhaps auto-switching doesn't work for hdmi inputs? Auto switching seems to work for all the other inputs so this seems strange. Anyone else with this "problem"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz View Post

One thing I've noticed is that the auto-switching doesn't seem to work with HDMI (I'm currently using only HDMI 2). Has anyone else noticed this or perhaps auto-switching doesn't work for hdmi inputs? Auto switching seems to work for all the other inputs so this seems strange. Anyone else with this "problem"?

My TX47 will not auto switch to a SA8300 cable box. I haven't had any other problems with the input auto switching. It will switch to PS3 and DVD player both hooked up on HDMI. It also auto switches to both component video connections. It would not auto switch to the cable box over HDMI or component so I suspect it's an issue with the cable box and not the TV. Any chance you're having trouble getting it to auto switch to a SA8300?
post #363 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbs159 View Post

My TX47 will not auto switch to a SA8300 cable box. I haven't had any other problems with the input auto switching. It will switch to PS3 and DVD player both hooked up on HDMI. It also auto switches to both component video connections. It would not auto switch to the cable box over HDMI or component so I suspect it's an issue with the cable box and not the TV. Any chance you're having trouble getting it to auto switch to a SA8300?

I'll have to try it with my SA8300 DVR tonight. One "issue" I had, and only one time, was the unit locked up on boot. I have my power option set to Energy Saver, so when I turn it on, it goes through the "boot" process and displays the Westinghouse "W" logo for a few seconds, then goes black, then displays the picture. Well, one time it locked up on me at the W logo and I had to unplug the TV and plug it back in to reset. I use my cable box remote, so my cable box powers on first which means there's a live signal in HDMI 1 when the TV goes through it's boot process. I'm not sure if this was the cause, but it's something to note.
post #364 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz View Post

I'm not sure what other people's impressions are but so far the tx47 has been great. I recently picked up a ps3 and it's a great upconverting dvd player. One thing I've noticed is that the auto-switching doesn't seem to work with HDMI (I'm currently using only HDMI 2). Has anyone else noticed this or perhaps auto-switching doesn't work for hdmi inputs? Auto switching seems to work for all the other inputs so this seems strange. Anyone else with this "problem"?

I have auto switching turned off myself, but I have noticed that even when I manually select HDMI 1, the PS3 occasionally doesn't come up.... when this happens (very rarely), I just switch to another input and then back and then the PS3 signal will be detected.

I've been playing with my TX all weekend and I love it more and more every day... I only have 1 complaint and that is the audio from the tuner - the tuner will only pass 2 channels even if the show is being broadcast in 5.1.

Audio passthrough via HDMI works great - I have passed both DD and DTS 5.1 from my PS3 through the TX's SPDIF out.
post #365 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 07:59 AM

Hi, I just got the tx-47f430s. I have one stuck pixel (its stuck to red). Should I return it or live with it? Its kind of annoying for the amount I payed to have a stuck pixel. Otherwise this thing is amazing.
post #366 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgalvez View Post

Hi, I just got the tx-47f430s. I have one stuck pixel (its stuck to red). Should I return it or live with it? Its kind of annoying for the amount I payed to have a stuck pixel. Otherwise this thing is amazing.

For Christ's sake.. one stuck pixel is not bad. I can't imagine that it would be visible under normal viewing, even if it's dead center. I think I have a green pixel stuck bottom right so it's not bad, but it's not uncommon to have a few. Jeez..

Regarding the autoswitching, I have verizon Fios, so I have a QIP6416 I believe. It's a Moto box. Perhaps it's just a cable thing because everything else seems to autoswitch fine. Like others have mentioned, I will occasionally have an issue where the ps3 or HDMI input doesn't work on the first try, but switching inputs and switching back fixes this. This is pretty rare, and I attribute this to HDMI problems and it doesn't bother me at all. So far it's a great set!
post #367 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone been able to get the TX 42" in their home yet? The 22nd seems so far away...
post #368 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradg View Post

I'll have to try it with my SA8300 DVR tonight. One "issue" I had, and only one time, was the unit locked up on boot. I have my power option set to Energy Saver, so when I turn it on, it goes through the "boot" process and displays the Westinghouse "W" logo for a few seconds, then goes black, then displays the picture. Well, one time it locked up on me at the W logo and I had to unplug the TV and plug it back in to reset. I use my cable box remote, so my cable box powers on first which means there's a live signal in HDMI 1 when the TV goes through it's boot process. I'm not sure if this was the cause, but it's something to note.

*shivers* Oh dear. I hope for all our sakes this ends up being isolated. I don't think either we the buyers nor Westinghouse can take another 6 month debacle over power lockups.
post #369 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Frog View Post

I am currently freaking out aspect ratios and motion blur on DVDs (analog SD content is is still strangely quite good), but haven't had time to experiment enough to ask useful questions.

I think aspect control will be an issue for a long time to come. I personally like Westinghouse's minimalist approach to the subject, but many people expect non-linear stretch and zoom modes now. Usually between the tv and the aspect controls available on the source component you can get to what you want, but if you like smart stretch then there's no salvation I guess.

We'll be here to answer questions about the blur issue when you're ready to ask. That you would see it on a dvd source and not SD broadcast material is rather puzzling. The dvd player is connected via component or HDMI right?
post #370 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

can anyone link me to the 42" (or 47") on best buy's website? i can't find it anywhere but people say they have ordered it online??
post #371 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post

can anyone link me to the 42" (or 47") on best buy's website? i can't find it anywhere but people say they have ordered it online??

I'm not aware of anyone purchasing the TX online from BB. I have never seen either on their website. People have purchased them online from other retailers though.
post #372 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 11:53 AM

re: buyuing at BB... i went there and they did not even know about it, but they had 2 in the back, in black boxes (I don't know what that means, but the guy said that was different, and he was not sure why they would be ther and not on display)... anyway, I asked if I could see one... Nope, only if i bought it... sorta a bummer. I'm pretty busy, not much time to buy and take home & set up, only to have to return it later... oh well... I guess I'll watch these boards and wait for a few more reviews to come out. As far as I can tell there seems to be like 4 or 5 people who haave 'em and really like 'em....

My only concerns (well my main concerns) are the deep red / blues or lack of them... and the HDMI connection to Sony HDV cameras...

any ideas on when these things will really start to get out there? they seem like they are in stealth mode...

keep posting info all you owwners...
post #373 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 11:53 AM

Is there any overscan on the 47 inch via HDMI, or component when you set your xbox 360 Elite to 1080p?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Get your own
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #374 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabioh View Post

I'm not aware of anyone purchasing the TX online from BB. I have never seen either on their website. People have purchased them online from other retailers though.

Purchased, but not received unfortunately. To my knowledge all current owners bought in-store at Best Buy at this point.
post #375 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukdweller View Post

Is there any overscan on the 47 inch via HDMI, or component when you set your xbox 360 Elite to 1080p?

Not in the Standard aspect mode.
post #376 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur_255 View Post

I think aspect control will be an issue for a long time to come. I personally like Westinghouse's minimalist approach to the subject, but many people expect non-linear stretch and zoom modes now. Usually between the tv and the aspect controls available on the source component you can get to what you want, but if you like smart stretch then there's no salvation I guess.

We'll be here to answer questions about the blur issue when you're ready to ask. That you would see it on a dvd source and not SD broadcast material is rather puzzling. The dvd player is connected via component or HDMI right?

Thanks for your patience. I think much of this has to do with the sources and not the television itself, and this is where I need to do my homework before I can ask productive questions.

My confusion over aspect ratios is largely a product of my ignorance- I never seem to know what to expect. The QAM tuner brings in a station that, according to the television at least, is 1080i and yet it has the same ratio as the 480i stations. The PBS HD station broadcasts in a gorgeous 720p that fills the entire screen. There are occasional programs on various channels that seem to have the 16x9 ratio for whatever reason, with borders below as well as on the sides, but won't fill the screen without a little overscan. Lord of the Rings, upscaled to 720p, won't quite fill the whole screen- but then again it has the 2.35:1 thing going on- so I think I just answered my own question. Anyway, I'm learning it's all about the source.

As far as motion blur, the most obvious incidence was with season 3 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The picture itself was crystal clear, as long as nobody moved- then details would blur and things like eyes and mouths and noses would get all floaty. This was upscaled to 720p and sent through HDMI. However, and this is where I need to do a little more work, the image was in stretch mode and filled the screen regardless of what aspect ratio I set on the DVD player. I have yet to figure out whether this was a quirk of the t.v. or the player. I am less worried about this because I haven't had that particular problem with any other 720p image. I did have a different kind of motion blur problem with The Two Towers though: during a very dark night battle quick movement was often followed by red tracers- that one worries me a little more.

Anyway, I should have a chance to dig deeper tonight once I get the kiddie in bed. Thanks again.
post #377 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsona View Post

TX-42 available at Best buy Canada, for MSRP of $1700 CAD. No sign of the TX-47 yet...

WOOT!

Price needs to be better, but its a start!

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN

I'd almost given up on the TX series coming to the Great White North, especially when they started selling off the LVM's. I started lurking in the Samsung 4665/4661f groups (can anyone compare a TX to the Samsung 4665/4661f? more $$, but is the sammy better?)

c'mon, daddy needs a new 47" tv by daddy's day.... so close to 'cracking a cold one' (canada, eh)

(with Fathers Day coming up, if the stores have any brains they'd start some serious sales on TVs this week)
post #378 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

does anyone have a link to the BB product page for the US? I can't seem to find it.

loving my completed home theater. :)
post #379 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 02:24 PM

Does anybody know if theres a place around Seattle where I could see one in a brick and mortar? I'm interested in the 42" but I'm reluctant to buy online without seeing one first.
post #380 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

If this blurring is mostly visible while using the fill and overscan mode then the Trident video processing may be party to blame. We'll have to scrutinize this aspect of it's performance some more.
post #381 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgamble View Post

Does anybody know if theres a place around Seattle where I could see one in a brick and mortar? I'm interested in the 42" but I'm reluctant to buy online without seeing one first.

Right now it seems your only bet is a visit to Best Buy (and a prayer).
post #382 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 04:20 PM

Kinda wanting to set up an informal poll. How many out there actually have the set, and what are all of your impressions. After the initial "permagrin", as one of you put it when you first got it home, has worn off - do you have any regrets/reservations about the set? Any comments to say about this TV vs the LVM series monitors? Anything else you'd like to add to a prospective buyer?

What are some issues that people have been noticing - I've seen the complaints about certain HDMI devices, but my one HDMI device that I'm concerned with is my PS3 and as far as I can tell, that works OK?

I'm currently in the process of having my LVM exchanged, and just kinda want to know what I'm getting myself into as my Best Buy doesn't have one of these on display, so I'll have to be buying it "sight-unseen".

Two big things that I haven't heard much about

1. Banding. Anyone familiar with the LVM series should know about this issue. Of course I'm interested in whether or not the TX also suffers from uneven backlighting.

2. Dead pixels / other manufacturing defects. Anyone have anything to say about this subject?
post #383 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

I just got a ps3 yesterday, so I've had limited time tinkering with it. Things look great so far, I've downloaded some trailers and they look great. For anyone else that has a ps3, I have a few questions..

1. Is there any way to tell if a tv is capable of 1080p/24fps output?

2. Under BD/DVD settings, leaving "BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI)" to Automatic I think outputs Y Pb/Cb PR/Cr.. When popping in the THX optimizer disk, the Brightness and contrast adjustment screens seem off, and the black level range seems off. Adjusting the Brightness/contrast doesn't seem to help a whole lot (is this black crush?).

When changing the setting to RGB and using the thx optimizer, I can adjust the brightness/contrast accordingly and things look good. I do have Super-White set to on for Y Pn/Cb..., perhaps the westy doesn't support super-white? Or it could be something else?

I haven't tested things out w/ a blu-ray movie yet.

Oh yes, I haven't noticed any banding or stuck pixels at all on my display. I thought I had one but I guess not. So far so good! About my only regret so far is that I wish the set was bigger.
post #384 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 05:28 PM

[quote=Mikeoz]For Christ's sake.. one stuck pixel is not bad. I can't imagine that it would be visible under normal viewing, even if it's dead center. I think I have a green pixel stuck bottom right so it's not bad, but it's not uncommon to have a few. Jeez..

Yea, your right. Its my first big purchase for my new house, so it bothered me. I showed my girlfriend, and she just looked at me, then walked away. The set is awesome. I've been playing BF2 and Counter-Strike source @ 1920x1080, and let me tell you, it is unreal. Xbox 360 looks insane. Been playing games I have not played in a while just to see it all again. I might have to get the HD-DVD addon. Now its time to start tweaking with the adjustments. I called like 5 BBs to find out if they had them in stock. All told me no. Then I called and asked if they had the SKU, 2 of them had 2 in stock. The employees do not even know what I was talking about when I got there, then I just gave them the SKU "oh yea, it says we have two of those in the back." SKU is 8346685 btw.
post #385 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Hmm.. is it just me or is there only one setting for all HDMI inputs?

It looks like there is only one group of picture settings for all HDMI inputs.. when I adjust one all the others are adjusted as well.. Anyone else notice this?
post #386 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irshliquor View Post

Two big things that I haven't heard much about

1. Banding. Anyone familiar with the LVM series should know about this issue. Of course I'm interested in whether or not the TX also suffers from uneven backlighting.

2. Dead pixels / other manufacturing defects. Anyone have anything to say about this subject?

Zero regrets here. Still have permagrin... the TV did "shrink" on me after a week - when I first put it in my living room I thought I wouldn't be able to go any bigger, but now I am going back to my original plan of picking up a TX-52 when it comes out and moving the 47 to the bedroom.

My only complaint as I already mentioned is not being able to get 5.1 audio out of the tuner... I am hoping (praying) this is something a future firmware update may fix. I emailed Westinghouse but (surprise surprise) didn't receive a response.

I am very happy to say that I have 0 dead pixels.

As for banding, I did detect banding for the first time over the weekend. It never occurs during normal TV viewing, but I did see it on the PS3. In Ridge Racer, after a race when that stats are being displayed there is a light blue overlay on the screen... when the camera pans left or right, banding can be seen fairly easily.

I am not concerned about it because I have never seen it while watching SD or QAM TV, DVDs, Nintendo Wii or even during gameplay on the PS3 - it's just this one screen on one game that seems to produce it (so far). I also believe it is simply inherent to LCD technology... is it worth paying thousands more for an LED backlit set when they come out? Not to me.
post #387 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 PM

47" is currently available on Amazon from *******. Only 5 left. This may be the first non-BB retailer to have this TV in stock. It also shows that 42" is available as well.

post #388 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicius View Post

47" is currently available on Amazon from *******. Only 5 left. This may be the first non-BB retailer to have this TV in stock. It also shows that 42" is available as well.

There were plenty of people that pre-ordered from Amazon in the "anticipation" thread. Has anyone received confirmation that they have shipped from Amazon?
post #389 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 09:31 PM

Last time I checked this afternoon the 47" was listed as out of stock, but the 42" was in and shipping. Not sure if the original orders have shipped or not though.
post #390 of 6183 Old 06-04-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabioh View Post

There were plenty of people that pre-ordered from Amazon in the "anticipation" thread. Has anyone received confirmation that they have shipped from Amazon?

It's being sold through a 3rd party so it's not really Amazon's own supply of Westy's...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
470uf cap , Westinghouse Tx 42f430s 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , westinghouse tx-47f430s
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page