Official Westinghouse TX Series ( TX-42F430S, TX-47F430S ) Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 6175 Old 06-06-2007, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz View Post

Yup, they do. All component inputs share one calibration.

No real reason to believe this will make a difference, but did you folks try changing the calibrations with Autosource on and then off?

Justing taking a WAG that maybe Autosource is fouling it up.

FWIW, I don't own one of these sets, but I am interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6175 Old 06-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just called up the local BB and the price is now MSRP.. the guy said price matching should not be a problem so I'll proly head over there tonight and price match it w/ the new coupon!

How did it go?
post #453 of 6175 Old 06-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbr439 View Post

No real reason to believe this will make a difference, but did you folks try changing the calibrations with Autosource on and then off?

Justing taking a WAG that maybe Autosource is fouling it up.

That's a good point.. I tried your suggestion and had no luck though. I tried different permutations between the HDMI inputs with autosource off and no luck.

The one thing I've noticed that IS strange, is that picture settings for different HDMI inputs sort of exist in two different states.. "On" and "off". I tried modifying the picture settings on an HDMI input where the source wasn't on or connected, and it SEEMS to save those settings for the HDMI input until a device is hooked upto that port and switched on, in which case the settings revert to the "on" settings which are assigned to the other input, or the previous device that was switched on, on another hdmi port. There seems to be an "off" group of video settings for a specific input until a device is switched on for that hdmi port, in which case the settings revert back to the "on" settings. Very strange.

Who knows what the hell the chipset is doing and perhaps I'm looking into it too much but it's interesting/strange none the less.
post #454 of 6175 Old 06-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabioh View Post

How did it go?

Everything went fine as expected! I was able to get the 12% off the msrp price which makes it a VERY good deal imo! I just went upto the customer service desk and said the price dropped and presented the new coupon and voila!
post #455 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

That's a good point.. I tried your suggestion and had no luck though. I tried different permutations between the HDMI inputs with autosource off and no luck.

The one thing I've noticed that IS strange, is that picture settings for different HDMI inputs sort of exist in two different states.. "On" and "off". I tried modifying the picture settings on an HDMI input where the source wasn't on or connected, and it SEEMS to save those settings for the HDMI input until a device is hooked upto that port and switched on, in which case the settings revert to the "on" settings which are assigned to the other input, or the previous device that was switched on, on another hdmi port. There seems to be an "off" group of video settings for a specific input until a device is switched on for that hdmi port, in which case the settings revert back to the "on" settings. Very strange.

Who knows what the hell the chipset is doing and perhaps I'm looking into it too much but it's interesting/strange none the less.

Hmmmm. Are you displaying the same content throughout all of this? It's possible the settings are discrete for signal type. It's something that's been done, but it's not terribly common. It could store different settings depending upon whether it's receiving 720 or 1080 video for example. This also is a WAG to be sure, but I'd rather it be that than a new bug found.
post #456 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur_255 View Post

Hmmmm. Are you displaying the same content throughout all of this? It's possible the settings are discrete for signal type. It's something that's been done, but it's not terribly common. It could store different settings depending upon whether it's receiving 720 or 1080 video for example. This also is a WAG to be sure, but I'd rather it be that than a new bug found.

I just wanted to add that on my 47W1, not only are there discrete settings for each input, there are also discrete settings each for 1080i/720p and 480p through DVI1. So, one can run high resolution sources with one set while other, such as progressive scan dvd player or older consoles, with different settings through the same input. It only applies to DVI1, though, possibly due to the fact that DVI1 is being processed by a separate chip while DVI2 and HDMI are handled by another.
post #457 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Does anyone know when the 42" model will be in stock at BB? I noticed One Call has it in stock now but I would rather get it from a B&M store for the 30 return policy. Thanks!
post #458 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Does anyone know when the 42" model will be in stock at BB? I noticed One Call has it in stock now but I would rather get it from a B&M store for the 30 return policy. Thanks!

It is in stock at some Best Buy stores. The store/region just needs to decide to carry it. There have been several reports of Canadian Best Buys carrying it. If your particular store does not have it you can have them order it for you (I only have 15 days left until I get mine from Best Buy....).
post #459 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

I don't think this question has been asked yet. Has anyone been able to use a Logitech Harmony remote with this TV and been able to find discrete input codes or anything like that?
post #460 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 05:26 AM

Quote:

Everything went fine as expected! I was able to get the 12% off the msrp price which makes it a VERY good deal imo! I just went upto the customer service desk and said the price dropped and presented the new coupon and voila!

Did the do a refund and then resale or just credit you the $100 plus the 12% off? I got $100 off by upgrading to Time Warner HD which was an expired promo, but the guy gave it to me anyway. If I can't get that Time Warner discount again, then for me the $100 price drop to actual MSRP might be a wash if they do a refund and then a resale.
post #461 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 06:49 AM

I did the deed yesterday and ordered the TX-47F30S from my local Best Buy. Much to my delight it will be available at the store in three days (Saturday). They also have the Yamaha 6090 receiver on sale so I may pic that up to upgrade my current setup.
post #462 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBoxb View Post

I did the deed yesterday and ordered the TX-47F30S from my local Best Buy. Much to my delight it will be available at the store in three days (Saturday). They also have the Yamaha 6090 receiver on sale so I may pic that up to upgrade my current setup.

I did the same thing. Best Buy is replacing my 42w2 and I didn't have to pay anything or even take my TV back to the store for them to order me the new one. We'll take care of it all on Saturday - which means I'll get to keep a TV in my house the whole time, something that I think the wife appreciates.

I'm pretty excited and I hope I don't regret the change. My 42w2 has two 3-4" darker areas (banding) along the right and left sides - it almost looks like the burn in on my friend's old DLP from watching too much SD content not stretched. But aside from that it has a great panel - 0 dead pixels, etc...
post #463 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irshliquor View Post

I did the same thing. Best Buy is replacing my 42w2 and I didn't have to pay anything or even take my TV back to the store for them to order me the new one. We'll take care of it all on Saturday - which means I'll get to keep a TV in my house the whole time, something that I think the wife appreciates.

I'm pretty excited and I hope I don't regret the change. My 42w2 has two 3-4" darker areas (banding) along the right and left sides - it almost looks like the burn in on my friend's old DLP from watching too much SD content not stretched. But aside from that it has a great panel - 0 dead pixels, etc...

I am curious, irishliquor, did you purchase the BB replacement plan? I declined it but now I am wondering.
post #464 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBoxb View Post

I am curious, irishliquor, did you purchase the BB replacement plan? I declined it but now I am wondering.

Yes, I did purchase the service plan. On TV's like this BB offers the PSP (Performance Service Plan), which means that they have to service the TV up to 4 times for the same issue before replacing it. In my case, they told me that there is not an authorized service center in my area so they offered to replace it site-unseen.

I'm hoping that said plan also transfers to my replacement product. In my opinion it was worth the $ just for the peace of mind that it offered once people started mentioning problems with the 42w2 and the PS3, especially since I wasn't able to get my PS3 until May of this year.
post #465 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur_255 View Post

Hmm good idea, i didn't think about changing the resolution. I did try changing the color space (rgb/ycc) but that didn't work. Right now I have the verizon stb outputting 1080i, and the ps3 outputting 1080p. I can try tonight whether 720p would have a different setting from 1080i/p. It definetly sounds plausible..

Only "problem" with this is that I don't care to feed the tv <1080i/p. So, it's pretty much a moot point to myself, but maybe it might be a plus for some people.
post #466 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Hmm good idea, i didn't think about changing the resolution. I did try changing the color space (rgb/ycc) but that didn't work. Right now I have the verizon stb outputting 1080i, and the ps3 outputting 1080p. I can try tonight whether 720p would have a different setting from 1080i/p. It definetly sounds plausible..

Only "problem" with this is that I don't care to feed the tv <1080i/p. So, it's pretty much a moot point to myself, but maybe it might be a plus for some people.

I do know the PQ settings (like backlight) can be different when switching from 480p to 720p. I have my cable box set to output both so when I go to SD channels, it outputs 480p and my HD programming is 720p. In my testing so far, I just preferred 720p vs 1080i on this LCD TV. I'm not sure if the PQ settings can be different when going from 720p to 1080i... I didn't test that.
post #467 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What the... you're getting the set on Saturday? Why is my Best Buy so freakin' slow!
post #468 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:

What the... you're getting the set on Saturday? Why is my Best Buy so freakin' slow!

I've got my fingers crossed. I'm looking forward to it, that's for sure.

Does anyone who's had a TV replaced under the PSP at Best Buy know whether or not the PSP follows over to the new set. I'm still covered under the Manufacturer's warranty, not sure if that matters or not.
post #469 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

So BB's regular price (i.e. not sale or special price) is now MSRP?
post #470 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggybear View Post

So BB's regular price (i.e. not sale or special price) is now MSRP?

yes.
post #471 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

yes.

Back to BB I go to whittle this set down some more... MSRP - 12% is such a sweet deal. Hopefully the TX-52 is on sale by Thanksgiving and a similar coupon is floating around.
post #472 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

What size of a UPS do you think the TX (42") will require? I mainly just want to protect the tv and condition the power a little. Runtime isn't all that important to me. I couldn't find any power usage specs on the TVs.
post #473 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 09:52 AM

Is price talk not allowed here? I am real interested in what people have been paying for their TX series.
post #474 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLJester View Post

Found a bug where shutting down then turning on causes the 'W' Westinghouse logo to appear white on white, and then all inputs have a corrupt image until i shutdown for a few seconds and then power on. have only had this happen a couple of times, mostly with the wife and baby playing with the remote... so not sure what the steps are to recreate.

I have had this happen once as well. On the 'W' screen, it was also white on white, but with a black vertical line down the middle. Caused the TV to lockup. Unplugged and turned on, it came back better, but still with display corruption - like blue noise on white surfaces, etc. Second unplug/reboot fixed it.

Also have had some lockup issues related to HDMI audio from my S3 TiVo. The audio will sometimes come in "stuttery", as in, 1 second on, 1 second off, repeat, so instead of "we're going to the store" I hear "w-r- g-in t- -e st-r..." Happened this morning and caused lockup, but I don't have another HDMI source with audio (HTPC is using a DVI to HDMI converter). If it didn't lock up, I wouldn't care, since I just need to straighten out my furniture and cabling and I'll be using my stereo all the time anyway.

Have 2 or 3 stuck pixels (of maybe sub-pixels?), scattered, don't bother me at all. Really the lockups are my only concern at this point, no sign of banding. Very busy right now, so not as much time to play with it (or post about it here) as I would like, should be a little better at the end of this month.

Anyone else experience the HDMI audio issue?

Ed
post #475 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:

What size of a UPS do you think the TX (42") will require? I mainly just want to protect the tv and condition the power a little. Runtime isn't all that important to me. I couldn't find any power usage specs on the TVs.

The manual says 6 A, but not at a specific voltage and this TV does 100-264V states the manual. If that 6A is at 125V, that's 750VA. Right now I'm using a 1400VA to power everything (TV, cable box, DVD player, and receiver) and with the backlight on 80-100 I get 2 out of 5 load lights lit. 70 or below backlight, it drops to 1 light lit. I'm partial to APC Smart-UPS or a UPS that puts out a cleaner sine wave (on backup) than the cheap ones, but that's just me. I'll probably put in a 1000VA to power everything.

Edit: Sorry, the information I have posted is with a TX 47 and you asked about a TX 42.
post #476 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

MY TX-47 JUST DIED !!!

I was watching it just fine about 2 hours ago.

Now when I turn it on, the Westinghouse logo appears (white on a black screen) and then it goes away and I am left with a black screen. The front light stays at amber for standby mode. The remote is non-responsive and the only button that works on the set is the power button. Pressing it repeats the whole process over again.

I've unplugged the set and taken out all the connections - same result. I've also tried a different power supply.

I've got it unplugged now and am about to call Westinghouse. Since the set is receiving power and displaying the boot up, I am hoping there is some sort of reset I can do. If not, I have to haul this beast back to BB.

I am not impressed
post #477 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggybear View Post

MY TX-47 JUST DIED !!!

I was watching it just fine about 2 hours ago.

Now when I turn it on, the Westinghouse logo appears (white on a black screen) and then it goes away and I am left with a black screen. The front light stays at amber for standby mode. The remote is non-responsive and the only button that works on the set is the power button. Pressing it repeats the whole process over again.

I've unplugged the set and taken out all the connections - same result. I've also tried a different power supply.

I've got it unplugged now and am about to call Westinghouse. Since the set is receiving power and displaying the boot up, I am hoping there is some sort of reset I can do. If not, I have to haul this beast back to BB.

I am not impressed

UGH! Man, sorry about that Huggybear. I am crossing my fingers with my one lockup that it doesn't happen again. I did save the box and I guess I'm now glad I got the service plan from BB with it.
post #478 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 10:41 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by hake View Post

Is price talk not allowed here? I am real interested in what people have been paying for their TX series.

The AVSForum rule is MSRP only in the public forums. I don't think there are any restrictions on what you can ask or tell people about prices in personal messages.

-Bill
post #479 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I just got off the phone with Westinghouse and I am out of luck - I have to bring it back to BB. All the CSR had me do is try a different outlet, which I already tried. He said that someone with an LVM called in with the same problem and switching outlets fixed it.

This couldn't suck any more - after all the trouble of hauling this thing home, I have to haul it right back. And I am sure they don't have any in stock to replace it with.

So now I have to ask myself if I want an exchange or a straight refund. I dunno if I just got unlucky or if there are some serious quality control issues due to rushing these things to market (my set had a build date of apr 13).

If I do go for an exchange, I have to add $249 to the price as I would definitely get the service plan. If this happened 15 days from now, the CSR said I would be shipping this beast to California on my dime.

For those that already bought one and didn't get a service plan from BB - you have up to 30 days after your purchase to get one - might be a good idea
post #480 of 6175 Old 06-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

huggybear, thanks for the heads up! Sorry that it bombed on ya! How much do you guys think it would cost to ship a TV this size to Westinghouse? Debating whether or not it is worth it to get the Service Plan.

jbradg, that should get me enough information about power requirements for the 42". Thanks!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
470uf cap , Westinghouse Tx 42f430s 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , westinghouse tx-47f430s
Gear in this thread - 470uf by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page