Official Westinghouse TX Series ( TX-42F430S, TX-47F430S ) Owner's Thread - Page 179 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5341 of 6183 Old 11-15-2008, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also am getting the 404 error. Maybe it is just a place holder as that firmware may not have actually been released yet.

I wonder if it really fixes anything.

-- Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 6183 Old 11-15-2008, 10:29 AM

I've called and emailed them about the firmware 404 and this is what I got back.

Quote:

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We apologize for any inconvenience in waiting for our response.

The firmware download page is currently down and is being worked on.
Please try again soon, it should be back up and running before long.

If you have any further questions, you may contact us through email, or
by calling us toll-free at 1-866-287-5555, between 9am and 9pm Eastern
Standard Time, Monday through Saturday. One of our technicians will
assist you.

-Matt, Westinghouse Digital Support Staff

post #5343 of 6183 Old 11-15-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmur View Post

I've called and emailed them about the firmware 404 and this is what I got back.

Same response from three weeks ago.

The ozone layer or cheese in a spray can? Don't make me choose
post #5344 of 6183 Old 11-15-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyMelon View Post

Same response from three weeks ago.

That is appalling.
post #5345 of 6183 Old 11-15-2008, 11:36 PM

Hi everyone, I just thought you would like to know that the firmware version 1.3.0 that Carsfanatic posted SusanII_v1.3.0_20071026 works like a champ on my TX-42F430S that I just bought from Costco at the end of October. It came with v1.6.3 and was having the same flickering issues with 1080p signals through my pc and now it is working just fine. I wasn't able to download the firmware update from westinghouse either since when I registered my serial number and entered it into the firmware update link it kept giving me the same error, "Sorry, those numbers do not match our records. Please call Customer Support for assistance." I then called Westinghouse support and they said that error message only shows up when the model doesn't have an available update. So then I asked if I could get a copy of the version 1.3.0 firmware and he said he couldn't help me with that.

So that being the case I asked Carsfanatic if he could get me a copy of the SusanII_v1.3.0_20071026 he had posted a while back and I guess he finally reposted it as you have probably seen.

So then I decided to try it out.

1. I formated a 1gb thumb drive to fat32 unzipped the file above and copied the two files to the thumb drive.

2. I unplugged my tv and plugged in the thumb drive and then plugged in the power.

3. I then pushed the power button and the light turned amber and after 30 sec it started flashing a blue light constantly so I thought it was done and unplugged the power and disconnected the thumb drive and then tried to power it on, but it wouldn't come back on. So I decided to try it again and this time when the flashing blue light began I let it sit there longer and then finally after a few minutes it turned a solid blue light.

4. Once it was a solid blue light I unplugged the power, unplugged the thumb drive, waiting a few seconds, and then plugged it back in and voila the W logo screen came up and the tv came on and so I checked the system information and it was now version 1.3.0 and everything works perfect.

Not only did it fix the hdmi flickering issue with 1080p signals, but it also fixed the audio problems with the Digital HD channels OTA and Cable.

I hope you guys find this helpful since the Westinghouse support wasn't at all.

Thanks again Carsfanatic for reposting the firmware, it is greatly appreciated!

Sturmur and Frostymelon I hope this helps you as well. Just make sure when the flashing blue light begins to let it continue until it stops blinking and is a solid blue light.

Cheers,

Stephen
post #5346 of 6183 Old 11-16-2008, 09:55 AM

Looking at it, I think my 42 has the older chipset in it. I bought mine in August 2007 and I think that's the reason why she wont work.

I've tried about 10 different memory sticks, and I do exactly what you do above, but when I plug in the power there is a solid amber light and pressing the power button does nothing.

My only option now is to wait for Westinghouse to update their page so I can download the firmware for my chipset (I think that may take a while...).
post #5347 of 6183 Old 11-17-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandertyler View Post

I've seen something similar in plasma televisions, usually a green shimmer in them. Looks like you have a bum panel and it needs to be replaced.

-- Alex

I'm unsure if I am in warranty or not. If not, would this be considered a defect and need to be replaced/fixed?
post #5348 of 6183 Old 11-18-2008, 08:44 PM

I'm considering buying this tv (42") in the upcoming week at costco for $625. It is discounted because of it being the floor model.
Is this a good buy? Or is there anything better I can get that is at least 37 inches and under 650 with Black Friday coming up.
This sounds like a good deal to me, but it looks like there's quite a few bugs. but I've only read the first page of this thread and the last.
This is gonna be my first lcd and I'll be using it for cable (not hd) tv and my ps3 (gaming, dvd's, blu rays).
Does this look like my best choice. I'd definitely like this thing to last.
post #5349 of 6183 Old 11-20-2008, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, there's no way to really tell what the black friday deals are going to be like, but the 42" is a great value at that price. I haven't encountered problems with mine, but I also have the extended warranty just in case. So I say go for it, and grab an extended warranty in case you get one with problems.

PSN: Tezasaurus
post #5350 of 6183 Old 11-20-2008, 05:40 PM

Just a little update: My TV won't power up. I just get the amber light. I've done everything I can think of to fix it.

BestBuy is coming out this Saturday to check it out. I'm hoping I can just get money for this TV. It's done this before, but I've always been able to recover until now.

wde.com says my serial number does not match their records.

I was a very early adopter. Purchased 5/23/07.
post #5351 of 6183 Old 11-20-2008, 08:27 PM

BTW, Westinghouse has finally fixed the website and now you can download firmware 1.4.2 for the TX-42.
post #5352 of 6183 Old 11-21-2008, 11:58 AM

Sturmur - Let me know if it works for you, I am guessing you and I have the same older chipset.

The ozone layer or cheese in a spray can? Don't make me choose
post #5353 of 6183 Old 11-21-2008, 11:16 PM

Looks like I have a memory stick problem (I think).

Now, when I load up the proper drivers, the amber light is still solid when I plug in the TV, but after about 30 seconds, the light briefly turns blue.

Any ideas what this might be?

Cheers.
post #5354 of 6183 Old 11-22-2008, 08:18 PM

I downloaded the 1.4.2 firmware for my TX-47F430S from the Westinghouse site. Unfortunately the instructions there are completely wrong. Here is the process I used to do the upgrade:

Note: Before you start, I recommend you write down your current firmware version so that you know it worked. This is listed under Settings -> System Info.

1) Formatted 4GB memory stick to FAT32
2) unrar the archive I downloaded, and put the two files on the stick:

update_WDE42.tgz
safe-kernel.img1

3) unplugged the power on the TX-47F430S
4) connected the USB stick to the port (on the left side)
5) plugged in the power (do not power on!)
6) The light will start orange, then go to a greenish blue that is kind of lighter than the regular blue....it will sit here for several minutes (maybe 3?). Then it will change to the normal solid blue.
7) unplug power
8) unplug USB stick
9) plug in power and turn on

Before the update I had version 5121_1.3.0, after I had version 5112_1.4.2.

I've only had it running for a few minutes so far, so can't really comment on the firmware yet.
post #5355 of 6183 Old 11-22-2008, 08:42 PM

Sorry for getting off topic here everyone, but I have a situation that I was wondering if any one else has come across. First off I have the tx-47 with firmware 1.3.0 and build date of june 07. I have my xbox 360 set to output 1080p with hdmi and reference level set to standard, and my problem is that with the nxe my dashboard/guide/game text is blurry. If I set the xbox to display 1080i/720p the text is a lot sharper and i can adjust the sharpness, but not in 1080p. Is anyone else running into this situation? Also what reference level/ hdmi color spaceing would be best for this tv? I've tried searching for this tv but could not get any answers. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN-

post #5356 of 6183 Old 11-23-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezntz View Post

First off I have the tx-47 with firmware 1.3.0 and build date of june 07. I have my xbox 360 set to output 1080p with hdmi and reference level set to standard, and my problem is that with the nxe my dashboard/guide/game text is blurry. If I set the xbox to display 1080i/720p the text is a lot sharper and i can adjust the sharpness, but not in 1080p. Is anyone else running into this situation?.

My TX-47 has the same build date and firmware as you. I'm also running 1080p over HDMI. NXE looks fine for me, so I doubt firmware is the issue.
post #5357 of 6183 Old 11-25-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezntz View Post

Sorry for getting off topic here everyone, but I have a situation that I was wondering if any one else has come across. First off I have the tx-47 with firmware 1.3.0 and build date of june 07. I have my xbox 360 set to output 1080p with hdmi and reference level set to standard, and my problem is that with the nxe my dashboard/guide/game text is blurry. If I set the xbox to display 1080i/720p the text is a lot sharper and i can adjust the sharpness, but not in 1080p. Is anyone else running into this situation? Also what reference level/ hdmi color spaceing would be best for this tv? I've tried searching for this tv but could not get any answers. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

I had this same problem. It wasn't just with 360, it was anything on 1080P, including PS3. I exchanged the TV with another, and 1080P was sharp. My guess is that there was something wrong with the internal scaler or something. Everything always looked better on 1080i, or 720P, while everything in 1080P looked soft.
post #5358 of 6183 Old 11-25-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbh0531 View Post

I had this same problem. It wasn't just with 360, it was anything on 1080P, including PS3. I exchanged the TV with another, and 1080P was sharp. My guess is that there was something wrong with the internal scaler or something. Everything always looked better on 1080i, or 720P, while everything in 1080P looked soft.

it seems to be only with the 360, my ps3/hd-dvd is clear as can be. strange because this only started happening with the nxe update. the old dashboard had no problems.

XBL-

PSN-

post #5359 of 6183 Old 11-26-2008, 05:55 AM

I dunno if I'm posting this in the right thread, and please let me know if I am, but I've had my TX-42f430s for less than a week and it is stuck in standby mode. I bought the TV from Buy.com and just made the replacement deadline but the problem is my roommate threw out the original packaging and Buy.com will not accept it without the original packaging. I was wondering if anyone was willing to part ways with their packaging so I can return without problems? Thanks in advance.
post #5360 of 6183 Old 11-26-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk500 View Post

I downloaded the 1.4.2 firmware for my TX-47F430S from the Westinghouse site. Unfortunately the instructions there are completely wrong. Here is the process I used to do the upgrade:

I get an error when I try to access the 47" firmware from Westinghouse. Can someone upload this 1.4.2 firmware so other can have access to it?

Thanks!
post #5361 of 6183 Old 11-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanggt50conv View Post

I get an error when I try to access the 47" firmware from Westinghouse. Can someone upload this 1.4.2 firmware so other can have access to it?

Thanks!

There is no 1.4.2 firmware currently available to download for the 47" at least. The only one up from the official site now is 1.6.3 and it is flawed. It cuts in and out on all 1080 sources. I think there was some flaw with 1.4.2 or it was only available for the 42" one or the other. I really think it was only for the 42" though because on my downloads list I went from 1.3.0 to the 1.6.3 and no 1.4.2 in between.
post #5362 of 6183 Old 12-01-2008, 11:53 AM

Hello, I recently picked up a bricked TX-47F430S...The previous owner said he tried to update the firmware unsuccesfully and now I have the stuck on orange status led with a blank screen...I believe from the model number that the firmware was version 1.0 which after reading this thread have come to believe that it should not have ever been flashed. Now my question is...since I can't seem to get a copy of the original firmware, since their customer service call center reps are worthless, which specific replacement circuit board would I need to get in order to solve the problem...and would I need the exact firmware running on the replacement board? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
post #5363 of 6183 Old 12-01-2008, 08:02 PM

same problem as "tha2nd". identical model TX-47F430S. I got it from BB 1-1/2 yr ago. It freezes this morning while changing channel from digital to analog station. Hard re-boot by unplug, did not work, no logo.. orange light on. Try usb with firmware 1.3.0. -- no response.
Here are the characteristics, upon plug in, little light turn blue for a fraction of a second and than orange. screen black. the little green light on the back, inside the tree turned on. Nothing else happened -- no noise, no smell of things burning.
Un-plug it after a few minute, screen flash blue for 1/20th of a second. the orange light turn blue for a fraction of a second. everything goes dark -- now is unplugged, I will leave it for 24hrs.
Speculation, I switch to a blank channel with no signal prior to the freeze up/ unplug reset. Upon reset start up, it was looking for signal in that blank channel, when no signal is detected, the tv remains in standby mode. This should be good news as firmware should solve this or reset this problem. Other possibilities, burnt board or components, bad news, now we need tv repairman.
please see if your tv have the same characteristics. report finding if possible. your speculations?
Ed
post #5364 of 6183 Old 12-02-2008, 05:49 PM

same characteristics as mine except mine occured from initially doing a firmware update, so I figured if i could get an orginal version of my firmware version 1.0 it could be fixed, however I have no way of getting a copy of that so I'm looking into getting a replacement board with the same firmware
post #5365 of 6183 Old 12-02-2008, 08:25 PM

I talked to Westinghouse customer support today 1-866-287-5555. They said there is only one version of firmware for TX47F430s (the original). He doesn't sound sure. I told him there are discussion on the net indicating that there are newer version of firmwares. They cannot help me with original version nor the newer version .... they suggest me to call a local TV repair shop.
Anyway, where are you planning to buy the new board? I took the TV apart and look at the main board. There is a small chip marked boot 1.0.0.
I got this TV short of 2 years ago, I suppose it is the first version of everything.
Be careful when you open the panel, put the tv face down, screen face gravity and lift the back cover up after unfasten the screws. My screen almost broke falling forward, good thing it is close to the wall -- stop it from hitting the ground.
I may take it to the TV repair shop. What are you going to do with your unit?
Ed
post #5366 of 6183 Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 AM

This is basically what was wrong with my tv. Initially it would change inputs, but would not show any HDMI input. It would show basic cable. I pulled the plug and then it wouldn't start back up. When plugging it in, the blue light flashes for a split second, then the orange light comes on. If you look in the cracks in the back of the tv, you can see green lights. If you hold the power button, they flash. Two short flashes, then one long flash. This repeats for as long as you hold the power button. Unplugging the tv flashes the screen with white. The tv was on a UPS 1500va because I never wanted it to lose power and break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustseeflop View Post

same problem as "tha2nd". identical model TX-47F430S. I got it from BB 1-1/2 yr ago. It freezes this morning while changing channel from digital to analog station. Hard re-boot by unplug, did not work, no logo.. orange light on. Try usb with firmware 1.3.0. -- no response.
Here are the characteristics, upon plug in, little light turn blue for a fraction of a second and than orange. screen black. the little green light on the back, inside the tree turned on. Nothing else happened -- no noise, no smell of things burning.
Un-plug it after a few minute, screen flash blue for 1/20th of a second. the orange light turn blue for a fraction of a second. everything goes dark -- now is unplugged, I will leave it for 24hrs.
Speculation, I switch to a blank channel with no signal prior to the freeze up/ unplug reset. Upon reset start up, it was looking for signal in that blank channel, when no signal is detected, the tv remains in standby mode. This should be good news as firmware should solve this or reset this problem. Other possibilities, burnt board or components, bad news, now we need tv repairman.
please see if your tv have the same characteristics. report finding if possible. your speculations?
Ed

post #5367 of 6183 Old 12-03-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:

I may take it to the TV repair shop. What are you going to do with your unit?

Yea I had also opened my tv up and I looked at the model number of the board, and am considering buying a used one from a cracked screen set... I assume it should work as long as there was nothing wrong with the board and the attempted flash did not corrupt any circuit components...when I try it I'll post and tell how it went.
post #5368 of 6183 Old 12-03-2008, 11:27 AM

I am sure "Dyn" has the same problem as mine. ie holding the power button will cause the USB light to flash 2 short 1 long and repeat sequence - but no update done, the USB just stay lit and freeze until the power button is held down, then the flash sequence. I call a shop recommended by Westinghouse, the tech there said the problem is likely the main board given my description.
I need to get a hold of a main board -- any idea from who/where?
Also, another poster mentioned that he installed a new main board and the image/picture comes out like negative film. I wonder is he have that corrected.
Please post your new findings and repair attempt made
post #5369 of 6183 Old 12-03-2008, 05:42 PM

I'm so confused by the New Westy 42 I bought from Costco yesterday.

I bought a Westinghouse TX-42F430S with firmware 1.3.0 last fall for my parents, Price 1399. That TV works good and looks sharp for BlueRay movies and XBOX 360. So when I saw the price at 799 yesterday, I bought a second one for myself expecting the same quality. So far I'm really disappointed! ...I swear this is NOT the Same TV!

The new Westy is
Madel : TX-42F430S
Part Number: TW-51123-C042A
Serial : TW-5112J8010xxxx
Build : 2008 Mar 5
Software Ver. 5112_1.6.3

I think the screen is not the same as the older model, everything is not as sharp, The contrast for black levels is not as good. The color adjustments are taking forever to get right, the older model was close out of the box needing only red and skin tones fine tuning.

But the Biggest PITA I've found with the newer model is the Picture drops outs to Black screen several times with 1080i and 1080p unconverted DVD's and PlayStation3 Blue Ray Movies. I haven't tried my xbox 360 yet but I'm thinking it's going to be much of the same.

I checked Westinghouse website for a firmware update but there isn't one available for my serial number. I've been skimming through these forums and it sounded like I may Brick this TV if I try the Susan II 1.3.0 firmware, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Does anyone know if the : TW-51123-C042A version of the TX-42F430S can take the 1.3.0 firmware? or should I just forget this newer Westy and buy a LG or Sharp 1080p for $250 dollars more.

Thanks
post #5370 of 6183 Old 12-03-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmur View Post

Looks like I have a memory stick problem (I think).

Now, when I load up the proper drivers, the amber light is still solid when I plug in the TV, but after about 30 seconds, the light briefly turns blue.

Any ideas what this might be?

Cheers.

I'm not so sure the problem is on your side. I just tried it with two different USB sticks and mine wouldn't update with either. I successfully updated it from 1.2.1 to 1.3.0, so I know it's capable of being updated. Maybe Westinghouse stuck us with the 1.4.2 version of the firmware for the 47" model?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
470uf cap , Westinghouse Tx 42f430s 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , westinghouse tx-47f430s
Gear in this thread - 470uf by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page