Official Westinghouse TX Series ( TX-42F430S, TX-47F430S ) Owner's Thread - Page 192 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5731 of 6193 Old 11-05-2009, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
***ATTENTION TO ALL THOSE WITH THE WRONG FLASH -- AMBER NO START - "BRICKED" TVs***

Your TV isn't bricked! I've been all over this forum for days and finally got the answer I was looking for. The problem is a combination of wrong flash, horrible programming, and poor customer service on Westy's part. Anyway, the issue (especially those who are getting the quick blue flash back to amber) isnt that you have the wrong firmware exactly but that your tv is rejecting anything but 1.0.0 firmware. You didn't brick it with the wrong firmware, you just reset it. Whenever you attempt to flash, one of the first things it will do it verify some things with your tv. Due to some poor design on Westinghouse's part, it will unlock your vendor/model info before it flashes. If you are attempting to use firmware not for your set (ie: SusanII files for an older LX 5112 model) it will error out without "relocking" that info and because of that will reset your tv to 1.0.0. As stated on the forums here you MUST upgrade in order 1.0.0 --> 1.1.0 --> 1.2.0 and so on. Well, good luck getting the 1.0.0 firmware from Westinghouse.
Provided you know the last firmware that was on your TV (5112_1.3.0 on June 26) you can recover your TV and "unbrick" it.

You will need the following:
1. The firmware that was last on your TV before the incorrect/bad flash
2. The ability to decompress and compress tgz files (tar.gz)
3. Text editor

Unzip the .tgz file (mine was Update_WDE.tgz) and inside you will see a folder "Board_root". Inside the Board_root folder are a number of files. We are only concerned about the ones that end in .sh (compatible, do_update, StartBurn_led, and update). For each of the files open then up in your text editor and you will see the unix script codes. Don't worry, you don't need to know what its doing or change large amounts of the code. Simply look in every file for anything that says "Exit 1" and change that 1 to 0. Close the file (chose SAVE not SAVE AS) and go to the next.
Once all files have been changed you need to recompress board_root back to the name it was before (ie. Update_WDE.tgz)

Now you are ready to flash that TV!

*Warning: You must be SURE you are about to flash with the SAME firmware you had on the TV before. DO NOT USE THIS TO FORCE AND UPGRADE. By changing the script you removed the program's ability to end due to incorrect tv or version number. No matter what, anything good or bad, is now telling the TV to go ahead and complete the flash.

If you are unsure about how to open up and edit the files or need some help verifying the firmware before doing this email me at thunderstorm360@live.com and I will get with you as quickly as possible.

I dont know what will happen if you force flash the wrong firmware, but if you do, this time it may be a real brick you are left with. I'm not trying it with mine so if your unsure or really want a 42/47" paper weight, go right ahead. ;-)
hsumer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5732 of 6193 Old 11-26-2009, 08:52 PM

Liked: 10
Hey all, I'm new to these forums. I've done my best to read through this lengthy thread, but please bear with me.

I have a TX-42F430S which I bought in September 2007. Overall, I love the display and have had very few problems, but for one nagging issue (which, by reading this thread, appears to be common). That is that when connected to my PS3 via HDMI, I have frequent video and audio dropouts. They usually are brief, maybe a second or two and the signal almost always comes right back. However, sometimes the TV seems to lose the signal altogether and I have to switch to another input and back again to refresh it. As you can imagine, it makes watching a movie or playing a game maddening. The issue is unpredictable and occurs largely despite the source material (games, DVD movies, Blu-ray movies). The issue is not present on the HDMI input from my cable box, so it seems limited to just the PS3. I have purchased higher quality HDMI cables and have used all of the HDMI input ports, although the issue has not been fixed.

It seems after reading this thread that people have had some success with routing the PS3 signal through a receiver. I am interested in such a set up and have been looking at some entry level systems. Specifically I have my eye on an Onkyo HT-S3200 (apparently I can't post links yet to the product website). I understand it to be an entry level system, I'm just concerned with whether it will address the drop out issue, which is my primary reason for purchasing it. Specifically, the unit is said to have an HDMI pass through. Will that simply repeat the HDMI signal, drop outs and all? Or will it send out a clean signal to the TV? Any and all help is much appreciated for this newbie.
post #5733 of 6193 Old 11-29-2009, 04:41 PM

Anyone have any insight to my issue?
post #5734 of 6193 Old 11-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

I have always had every component I own including P3 going through a receiver and have had no problems with any dropout at all. Everything goes into my receiver and goes out to the Westy via HDMI and never change anything but the receiver inputs to change to different sources. I never have handshake or any other issues others seem to complain about.
post #5735 of 6193 Old 12-01-2009, 02:52 PM

This is ridiculous. I called Westinghouse last wednesday to get firmware for my TV. I'm STILL waiting on them to send me the correct link. The first email they sent was

Code:
The original firmware update you requested is the following: download the following file " 01_OSD_FW_V1.4.0.zip" From the following link

https://webmail.zoyto.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=b19b5c47c70d4922ad18d4e1af8d4569&URL=mhtml%3afile%3a%2f%2fC%3a%5cDocuments%2520and%2520Settings%5cklibor%5cLocal%2520Settings%5cTemp%5cMSNL%5cPVC18910578.mhtml!ftp%3a%2f%2fftp.wde.com%2f

the file needs to be unzipped into the drive root directory. Follow the directions as before.
But the link goes to their Microsoft Exchange Server... apparently the customer service people can see all the files listed, but nobody is bright enough so send me the file...
post #5736 of 6193 Old 12-02-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekztal View Post

This is ridiculous. I called Westinghouse last wednesday to get firmware for my TV. I'm STILL waiting on them to send me the correct link. The first email they sent was

Code:
The original firmware update you requested is the following: download the following file " 01_OSD_FW_V1.4.0.zip" From the following link

https://webmail.zoyto.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=b19b5c47c70d4922ad18d4e1af8d4569&URL=mhtml%3afile%3a%2f%2fC%3a%5cDocuments%2520and%2520Settings%5cklibor%5cLocal%2520Settings%5cTemp%5cMSNL%5cPVC18910578.mhtml!ftp%3a%2f%2fftp.wde.com%2f

the file needs to be unzipped into the drive root directory. Follow the directions as before.
But the link goes to their Microsoft Exchange Server... apparently the customer service people can see all the files listed, but nobody is bright enough so send me the file...

I need the F/W for the TW-51122-C042A, when I enter my S/N on the website it gives me the F/W for TW-51121-C042A. Are you looking for the same F/W?
post #5737 of 6193 Old 12-03-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan0490 View Post

I need the F/W for the TW-51122-C042A, when I enter my S/N on the website it gives me the F/W for TW-51121-C042A. Are you looking for the same F/W?

I just called and she said that the reason for this is that the 2007 firmware I have on my TV is the newest one. Doesn't make any sense to me because I know a newer one is available...
post #5738 of 6193 Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan0490 View Post

I just called and she said that the reason for this is that the 2007 firmware I have on my TV is the newest one. Doesn't make any sense to me because I know a newer one is available...

I have a different TV, mine is a 47". The firmware for the 42" and 47" is the same because they both use the same mainboard.

I'll put up a post with what I used.
post #5739 of 6193 Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 AM

This firmware file was edited using the method described by thunderstorm360 to flash a 'bricked' TV. My TV is a TX-47F430S, and my part # is TW-51211-C047A. My old Firmware version was 1.3.0, now it's 1.4.0 It won't check if you have the correct TV or Firmware before trying to update. It also combines parts of the update_WDE32.tgz and update_LCD1080CX.tgz firmware files. It has been verified by multiple people that it does indeed work perfectly. It also added named input labels:

Cable
PS3
Wii
Xbox

As of [Jan 3rd, 2010] it has a new start-up logo.

This is the firmware that I successfully flashed on my TV.

UPDATE [June 7th, 2010]: It has been confirmed that this firmware will work on the following Westinghouse TVs:

TX-42F430S
TX-47F430S
TX-52F480S

This first picture is taken with my cellphone camera:

This is the image file I use to make the replacement WDELogo.yuyv
post #5740 of 6193 Old 12-11-2009, 10:38 AM

ekztal You are the man. Your firmware fixed my bricked 42" door stop. Its been down for like four months. Evey now and the I have been trying different firmwares non that worked. Popped yours in and within 3 min it was working. Thank you soooo much. Christmas came early for me.
post #5741 of 6193 Old 12-12-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyb29 View Post

ekztal You are the man. Your firmware fixed my bricked 42" door stop. Its been down for like four months. Evey now and the I have been trying different firmwares non that worked. Popped yours in and within 3 min it was working. Thank you soooo much. Christmas came early for me.

Don't forget to thank thunderstorm360.
I couldn't of done it without him

EDIT: You're welcome! Merry Christmas!
post #5742 of 6193 Old 12-14-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyb29 View Post

MEE TOO!!!
Today I got up and went to the garage where my tx47 sits in a box that its been in for over a year. I Said F this. And hauled it to work to throw in the dumpster. Before I did that I said I think I will go read the thread and see if any thing new has happened. My problem started with E saver settings. My cable being disconnected and Poof.
This morning I used the Ekztal link. and updated my firm ware successfully. I am taking the WORKING Tv home to surprise my wife.
Thanks again to all you smart people who worked for a fix on this tv.
post #5743 of 6193 Old 12-14-2009, 02:35 PM

I also have a "bricked" TX-47F430S, with a similar story to those that have been posted. I just used ekztal's version of the firmware, and can confirm it works for part number TW-51201-L047A.

Ekztal and Thunderstorm360,
If either of you are ever in the Boston area, send me an email. I would like to buy you a beer. You two have just managed to fix my TV that has been sitting on the floor gathering dust for over a year.

Thank You!
post #5744 of 6193 Old 12-15-2009, 10:01 AM

Thunderstorm360 and Ekztal = town heroes. Merry Christmas, guys, and thanks for helping. (I didn't need it personally yet, but have kept up with the thread.)

post #5745 of 6193 Old 12-15-2009, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just made an account to tell you guys that Ekztal file also works for the TX-42F430S, part number TW-51101-L042A. I was about to buy a new board for my 18 month brick. Thank you Thunderstorm360 and Ekztal, Merry Christmas!!
post #5746 of 6193 Old 12-16-2009, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is great news fellas!!! What is included in this new firmware? I believe I'm running my original firmware from 2 years ago. Is it worth to upgrade my 47"?
post #5747 of 6193 Old 12-16-2009, 05:38 PM

yeah will this fix being able to actually turn off dynamic contrast?
post #5748 of 6193 Old 12-16-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzer View Post

This is great news fellas!!! What is included in this new firmware? I believe I'm running my original firmware from 2 years ago. Is it worth to upgrade my 47"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezntz View Post

yeah will this fix being able to actually turn off dynamic contrast?

My version doesn't have anything different. All I did was combine the two different firmwares (v1.3.0 and v.1.4.0) that I've found for the TX-42F430S and TX-47F430S. I took a the file mtd0 from one *.tgz and replaced it in the other tgz, and then followed thunderstorm360's instructions for skipping the built-in verification checks.

I'm not on the computer with all the files, so I can't tell you what is what right now.

I heard the only difference between the original 1.3.0 and 1.4.0 was a parental or rating control addition? Something like that!

If your TV is 'working' well enough now I wouldn't upgrade.
post #5749 of 6193 Old 12-16-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon1 View Post

Ekztal and Thunderstorm360,
If either of you are ever in the Boston area, send me an email. I would like to buy you a beer. You two have just managed to fix my TV that has been sitting on the floor gathering dust for over a year.

Sounds good but I'm over in Minnesota.
post #5750 of 6193 Old 12-17-2009, 08:35 AM

Liked: 14
This is great info. Maybe it should be cross posted with the thread on Custom Software for Westinghouse. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...245&highlight=
post #5751 of 6193 Old 12-19-2009, 12:44 AM

I got my TX-42F430S about 2 years ago, about 6 months into its life it started giving me the stuck in standby issues, but unplugging and a few resets later it would come back to life. About 6 months ago it did it for good and weeks of trying to reset it w/o any results, eventually tried the FW updates from this site and the problems only got worse. Before it would still give me the "W" when i did a hard reset but then go straight to standby, after the failed update i don't get anything besides the amber light. Biased on its production date i believe it is the older board that wasn't suppose to be updated.

After 6 months of staring at my failure, i finally bought a new board 2 days ago from ebay, since i saw ppl had success with that. i haven't received my board yet, but now i see ppl are getting them to work with this modded FW within just the past couple of days.

So my question; it says it isn't "really" bricked (even though it's just at worthless at the moment) but if i use the modded FW and it doesn't match the FW from before, then it will in fact brick it. I don't know which FW it had before so should i still try this? at least a few ppl have shown it does in fact work. And what if it is the wrong FW and it does actually brick it, would installing this new board de-brick it? (i.e. is the board the only thing bricked when you bypass the safety stuff allowing the wrong FW to be installed?)

-Thanks
post #5752 of 6193 Old 12-19-2009, 07:53 AM

Gixxer331, I also got the amber light by trying a FW that was not for my TX-42F430S. Before this, my latest working FW was the 1.4.2 (usb flashed) and I believe before that it had the original 1.3.

As you see, my TX had a different FW from the modded FW (1.3 and 1.4) but it worked.

In fact, I tried making the FW by myself by following Thunderstorm360 method with the 1.4.2 FW but it did not worked, maybe I did it wrong, I dont know.

It was Ekztal modded FW that saved my TV even after I flashed it with the modded FW made by myself.

And now my girlfriend hide all my USBs so I will not try to mess around again!

Greetings!
post #5753 of 6193 Old 12-19-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer331 View Post

I got my TX-42F430S about 2 years ago, about 6 months into its life it started giving me the stuck in standby issues, but unplugging and a few resets later it would come back to life. About 6 months ago it did it for good and weeks of trying to reset it w/o any results, eventually tried the FW updates from this site and the problems only got worse. Before it would still give me the "W" when i did a hard reset but then go straight to standby, after the failed update i don't get anything besides the amber light. Biased on its production date i believe it is the older board that wasn't suppose to be updated.

After 6 months of staring at my failure, i finally bought a new board 2 days ago from ebay, since i saw ppl had success with that. i haven't received my board yet, but now i see ppl are getting them to work with this modded FW within just the past couple of days.

So my question; it says it isn't "really" bricked (even though it's just at worthless at the moment) but if i use the modded FW and it doesn't match the FW from before, then it will in fact brick it. I don't know which FW it had before so should i still try this? at least a few ppl have shown it does in fact work. And what if it is the wrong FW and it does actually brick it, would installing this new board de-brick it? (i.e. is the board the only thing bricked when you bypass the safety stuff allowing the wrong FW to be installed?)

-Thanks

After I 'bricked' my LCD I tried 1.3.0 and 1.4.0 firmwares, both modded to remove compatibiliy checks, prior to making the one I posted above. Even with the checks removed neither would 'flash' my TV. One of them, the light never turned from amber to blue, and the other it turned blue after about 30 seconds and never actually did anything, other than it still being bricked.

I've even tried my modded firmware above with a custom start-up logo. It went through the upgrade process, about 3 minutes, going from amber, to purple, to blue. I tried starting it and it didn't turn on, so I just reflashed again with the working firmware, and it started right up.

So I'm thinking the Westinghouse TX-47F430S and TX-42F430S don't 'brick' as easily as we thought.

Anyways, to answer your question:

If you already have a bricked TX-47F430S or TX-42F430S and have already tried the 'correct' firmware for it without success, I'd recommend you follow thunderstorm360's instructions on the firmware you tried before, and if THAT doesn't work, try the firmware I posted. It can't get any worse from there. Besides you have a mainboard coming in the mail anyways.

The same thing happened to me actually, I ordered a main board of ebay and then said, "what the hell, I might as well mess with the firmware now while I have a chance."

EDIT: I guess I said about the same thing as tokmelo did 1 post up.
post #5754 of 6193 Old 12-20-2009, 12:34 PM

Ekztal, how do yo manage to use a custom start-up logo? You got information from sagaratus in the Custom Westinghouse FW post?

Guess i have to buy a new usb ....just kidding!
post #5755 of 6193 Old 12-20-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokmelo View Post

Ekztal, how do yo manage to use a custom start-up logo? You got information from sagaratus in the Custom Westinghouse FW post?

Guess i have to buy a new usb ....just kidding!

I messaged him, but he never responded.

What I did was open the mtd0 file in the board_root/images directory of the *.tgz in a hex editor and extracted the 2nd of 2 cramfs images, converted it from big to little endian so it could then be mounted (in linux). Then I could access all the files on there.

Then I took a 1280x720 file and converted it to .YUY? then to .yuyv and replaced the WDELogo.yuyv file and rebuilt a new cramfs image converted to big endian and then copied it into the mtd0 using the hex editor, because I don't know how to make a new mtd0 file, then I replace the mtd with the one in the *.tgz

After all that it didn't work anyways, I think I have to make a new mtd file for it to work right.
post #5756 of 6193 Old 12-21-2009, 05:01 PM

I am just not having good luck with this damn thing! So i tried ekztal's firmware and it never started blinking but after about 30 sec's it went to purple. I tried turning it on and nothing happened, still the amber light. Did it one more time just for good measure and still no luck. Then today i got my mother board and it isn't the right one for my tv, at least the ports are in a totally different order. On mine on the right side its VGA then the 4 HDMI ports, then the USB and all the others on the left. this one has all the HDMI on the right along with the USB but the VGA is on the left with the component and coaxial. FML.
post #5757 of 6193 Old 12-21-2009, 05:09 PM

BTW the board i need is the 48.3yt01.01a, aka W470PROLX68. The one i got was the more common W421TAFX69 since by reading the later part of the forum that was the one ppl were replacing and fixing their tv's with, not realizing there were different models and designs.
post #5758 of 6193 Old 12-21-2009, 07:03 PM

Gixxer331, these are the steps i followed:

1. Remove Tv power cord.
2. Insert usb in tv port.
3. Plug tv power cord.
4. I did not press the on/off button. The update started with a purple LED and did not blink as Westinghouse instructions says.
5. Wait about 3 and half minutes until the LED turn blue.
6. Remove USB.
7. Press on/off button once to turn off tv. The LED goes to amber.
8. I press the on/off button again for 10 seconds and the tv turned on. Some people recomends for this step to remove/plug power cord.

Hope this helps!
post #5759 of 6193 Old 12-21-2009, 07:11 PM

Ekztal, i though you already had the custom logo working. Here's a link about this subject. Maybe you already have seen it before. Anyway good luck.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ReverseEngin...stinghouse_tv/
post #5760 of 6193 Old 12-22-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokmelo View Post

Ekztal, i though you already had the custom logo working. Here's a link about this subject. Maybe you already have seen it before. Anyway good luck.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ReverseEngin...stinghouse_tv/

Actually cereal1 is me...

Like I said on the reddit forum and in a earlier post here, I got the new logo converted from a .jpg to a .yuyv, rebuilt the mtdblock3 and re-inserted into the mtd0 file. But the firmware bricks my tv when I flash it. I need to read more into MTD, and all that which is a little over my head.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
470uf cap , Westinghouse Tx 42f430s 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , westinghouse tx-47f430s
Gear in this thread - 470uf by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page