Official Westinghouse TX Series ( TX-42F430S, TX-47F430S ) Owner's Thread - Page 193 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5761 of 6198 Old 12-22-2009, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer331 View Post

I am just not having good luck with this damn thing! So i tried ekztal's firmware and it never started blinking but after about 30 sec's it went to purple. I tried turning it on and nothing happened, still the amber light. Did it one more time just for good measure and still no luck. Then today i got my mother board and it isn't the right one for my tv, at least the ports are in a totally different order. On mine on the right side its VGA then the 4 HDMI ports, then the USB and all the others on the left. this one has all the HDMI on the right along with the USB but the VGA is on the left with the component and coaxial. FML.

Yeah gixxer, I forgot to mention that the lights won't blick.

The way it went for me was:

It started out a steady AMBER light, and turned to a steady PURPLE light, and then when it was done, it turned to a steady BLUE light.
After it's blue, unplugged the power cord and remove the drive, and replugged the cord and pressed power.

tokmelo instructions works too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 6198 Old 12-23-2009, 06:31 PM

You guys are amazing! I didn't realize it would take as long as it does, so when i did it before i unplugged it too early after a few minutes of being on purple. Following tokmelo instructions by giving it more time and ekztal's FW, i now have a TV again!! Thanks guys!
post #5763 of 6198 Old 12-23-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer331 View Post

You guys are amazing! I didn't realize it would take as long as it does, so when i did it before i unplugged it too early after a few minutes of being on purple. Following tokmelo instructions by giving it more time and ekztal's FW, i now have a TV again!! Thanks guys!

That's great news!
post #5764 of 6198 Old 12-24-2009, 07:32 AM

Liked: 14
I think this is most likely one of the best threads on AVS forum. This shows the true potential of this site. To help others when the manufacture can't. Westinghouse should be ashamed that they have such lousy software writers that bricking a set just by updating firmware with a wrong version could happen. It shouldn't. You have to wonder how many people who don't read this forum, have either trashed a set or paid for repairs that really didn't need to be made. From reading in this forum, there appears to have been quite a few who purchased a new main board to make the repair. Even though I don't own this exact Westy, I do own another model. Just glad to have experts like those here who don't mind sharing with others. Keep up the great work!
post #5765 of 6198 Old 12-28-2009, 02:49 PM

I am new so here is my problem. First of I bought the TX-42F430S use and broken. It is the TW-51122-C042A. I turns on when I plug it in. I get the big "W" and then the light turns blue and The screen comes on for a second. Then the screen turns off but the blue light still stays on. I hit the power and the yellow light comes on. I hit the power and the screen and blue light comes back on. Then the screen goes off agian. While the screen is on for the split second I was able to change the input to A/V and pluged in an old VCR and put in a tape of Postman. Now when I power it up it playes the tape for a split second and turns off while the blue light stays on. I can turn it off and on and it plays for about a second. I tried to flash it with SusanII-v1.3.0_20071026.rar but it would not go through the process. It acted like the USB was not even there. Does anyone have any advice.
post #5766 of 6198 Old 12-30-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontrello View Post

I am new so here is my problem. First of I bought the TX-42F430S use and broken. It is the TW-51122-C042A. I turns on when I plug it in. I get the big "W" and then the light turns blue and The screen comes on for a second. Then the screen turns off but the blue light still stays on. I hit the power and the yellow light comes on. I hit the power and the screen and blue light comes back on. Then the screen goes off agian. While the screen is on for the split second I was able to change the input to A/V and pluged in an old VCR and put in a tape of Postman. Now when I power it up it playes the tape for a split second and turns off while the blue light stays on. I can turn it off and on and it plays for about a second. I tried to flash it with SusanII-v1.3.0_20071026.rar but it would not go through the process. It acted like the USB was not even there. Does anyone have any advice.

You can try flashing with my firmware I posted, but it sounds like you might have other problems other than the flash.
post #5767 of 6198 Old 12-30-2009, 07:28 PM

ekztal, thank you! My TV bricked today and your solution saved me!
post #5768 of 6198 Old 12-31-2009, 09:30 AM

You just saved another tv that was headed out to the street after a year of not working. I think you should post your address here so people can send you thank you gifts. If not, at least pm me so I can send you a nice bottle of wine or scotch. You just saved me from going out and spending a lot of money, or ordering a 150$ board I didn't need.

Thanks.
post #5769 of 6198 Old 01-01-2010, 01:53 PM

I have a TX-42F430S Part No. TW-51122-C42A that does not 'power on.' The amber light comes on when plugged in and turns blue when the power button is pushed on. The screen does not do anything and remains blank. I do have audio, just no picture. Any ideas as to where to begin fixing it? Could the power supply to the LCD be bad?

Thanks,
Kevin
post #5770 of 6198 Old 01-02-2010, 04:56 AM

@Kevin - Not to condescend, but I assume that you see nothing on the screen when you press the menu button, right? Just making sure someone didn't accidently turn the lcd off in the settings by hitting "audio only".
post #5771 of 6198 Old 01-02-2010, 06:26 AM

NP, Absolutely nothing is on the screen...I never had the tv on to begin with. If it was possibly turned off, how do you go about turning it back on?

Kevin
post #5772 of 6198 Old 01-02-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksapp82 View Post

NP, Absolutely nothing is on the screen...I never had the tv on to begin with. If it was possibly turned off, how do you go about turning it back on?

Kevin

Turning off audio only mode would only require pressing the power button. I'm sure you've already tried turning the power on and off.
post #5773 of 6198 Old 01-02-2010, 11:07 AM

Yes, I have tried that. I was wondering if I could still do the fireware update by someone posting the button order would it problem fix the problem or is the more than a fireware issue.

Kevin
post #5774 of 6198 Old 01-02-2010, 03:39 PM

You can still try flashing with the firmware I posted on page 192. If it IS a firmware problem it'll fix it. If not, no loss, no gain.
post #5775 of 6198 Old 01-03-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekztal View Post

You can try flashing with my firmware I posted, but it sounds like you might have other problems other than the flash.

I did flash your software and it did update but you were right. I have other problems. The sound still works but no picture after that first second. All my caps look good on the power supply but I think I will check them out anyway.
post #5776 of 6198 Old 01-06-2010, 08:28 PM

I have posted instructions on how to change your start-up logo on the TVs. It requires dual-booting linux and running some terminal commands. Have a look if you're interested
post #5777 of 6198 Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 AM

if anybody has a tx-42f430s or knows where i can find one that only needs a mainboard i have the mainboard and would like to have a tv again
post #5778 of 6198 Old 01-07-2010, 04:11 PM

I have avoided flashing my TX-42F430S because of the issues I see people have had doing so. It seems the problems it creates are worse than the ones it fixes. Mine is a 2007 vintage, using 5112-1.3.0 FW. Do I dare flash, or leave well enough alone. The problems seem kindof minor compared to some of the nighmares I read about, my fixes involve unplugging the TV for 15 seconds occasionally to fix the problems, or turning off the DVD player & then turning back on.
post #5779 of 6198 Old 01-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvalley75 View Post

I have avoided flashing my TX-42F430S because of the issues I see people have had doing so. It seems the problems it creates are worse than the ones it fixes. Mine is a 2007 vintage, using 5112-1.3.0 FW. Do I dare flash, or leave well enough alone. The problems seem kindof minor compared to some of the nighmares I read about, my fixes involve unplugging the TV for 15 seconds occasionally to fix the problems, or turning off the DVD player & then turning back on.

If it works now and gives you no problems then don't do anything. I have a receiver hooked to mine so only use one HDMI input on the TV that seems to fix any/all of the problems that others describe here since you do not have to change inputs on the TV to anything just leave it on the same HDMI.
post #5780 of 6198 Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsfanatic View Post

If it works now and gives you no problems then don't do anything. I have a receiver hooked to mine so only use one HDMI input on the TV that seems to fix any/all of the problems that others describe here since you do not have to change inputs on the TV to anything just leave it on the same HDMI.

I second that. I use an HDMI switcher on mine which works so-so.
post #5781 of 6198 Old 01-08-2010, 03:08 PM

OK, thanks, guess I will let it be, it works so I won't fix it. An attaboy for the talented people helping to unbrick the TV's. I gonna keep this thread bookmarked if mine ever takes a dump, I'll give it go.
post #5782 of 6198 Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and am in need of help with my Westinghouse TX-42F430S!

I haven't really used it for much more than playing my XBOX 360 until recently, when my wife bought me a Panasonic blu-ray player for Christmas. But my Westinghouse wont pickup any audio/video through my Moster 1000 HDMI cable.

I know it's not the blu-ray player because it works perfectly fine on my Toshiba LCD, which is about a year older than my Westinghouse. And I can get the player to work on the Westinghouse if I use component, but I find that pointless with any blu-ray player!

Does the firmware on my TV just need to be updated in order to resolve this problem?
post #5783 of 6198 Old 01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpainter187 View Post

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and am in need of help with my Westinghouse TX-42F430S!

I haven't really used it for much more than playing my XBOX 360 until recently, when my wife bought me a Panasonic blu-ray player for Christmas. But my Westinghouse wont pickup any audio/video through my Monster 1000 HDMI cable.

I know it's not the blu-ray player because it works perfectly fine on my Toshiba LCD, which is about a year older than my Westinghouse. And I can get the player to work on the Westinghouse if I use component, but I find that pointless with any blu-ray player!

Does the firmware on my TV just need to be updated in order to resolve this problem?

If you spent more than $20 on the HDMI cable you spent way too much(even at $20 it is a lot) Monster uses child labor in foreign countries to make their cables super cheap(around 49 cents per cable) there quality control in the past use to be very good and they wouldn't let defects get out but now they don't really seem to care as much and more and more people complain about the exact problems you are now. The connection works fine for one device but not for others. Westhinghouse TV's obviously from these threads do have problems but a lot of it can be solved by using a quality made HDMI cable www.monoprice.com for a quality cable and a fair price.

You didn't list your current firmware so it is hard to tell you if it could be a firmware problem at all.

If you have other HDMI cables that would be the first thing to try. Try using different HDMI inputs on the TV maybe one or more of them do not work at all. If you know the 360 works via HDMI on one of the inputs then use that same one.

Nothing else I can think of to try without knowing what your current firmware
post #5784 of 6198 Old 01-12-2010, 06:39 PM

I bought the cable for $17 new on Ebay. Cables not working is NOT the issue, because ALL of my HDMI cables work with my 360, and ALL of the HDMI ports on the TV work (already tried that). And I'm not sure how to tell what version of firmware I have installed on the TV... But it was bought at BestBuy in May of 2008, if that helps?
post #5785 of 6198 Old 01-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I bought the cable for $17 new on Ebay. Cables not working is NOT the issue, because ALL of my HDMI cables work with my 360, and ALL of the HDMI ports on the TV work (already tried that). And I'm not sure how to tell what version of firmware I have installed on the TV... But it was bought at BestBuy in May of 2008, if that helps?

It's in your Info/Options of the TV somewhere all the way to the right towards the bottom if I remember right.
post #5786 of 6198 Old 01-13-2010, 03:30 AM

Yep, found it! It says it was built on Sep. 7th, 2007 and has software version 5112_1.2.0.
post #5787 of 6198 Old 01-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yep, found it! It says it was built on Sep. 7th, 2007 and has software version 5112_1.2.0.

I have heard of some "ghosting" image retention with 1.2.0 and earlier firmwares but don't remember someone saying specifically that 1.2.0 caused HDMI issues.

Don't know if you have tried switching HDMI inputs while you have the BR player plugged in or switching off from HDMI altogether while it is connected then switching back some have reported that fixing HDMI issues like you describe.

If the BR player not working on the TV makes it unusable for you then it might be worth it to try to update the firmware. If the BR player not working isn't a big deal and you can live with it then of course it is safer to just leave it be.

If you go to Westhinghouse's website and input your serial number for your TV(on the back of the TV) then you should be able to download the most up to date firmware for your TV and instructions on how to install it. I would warn you though if it is 1.6.3 firmware then do not use that come back here and find 1.4.2 or 1.3.0 and use one of those. 1.6.3 makes all 1080i/p sources cut in and out and renders the TV useless for everyone that reported trying it on this thread.
post #5788 of 6198 Old 01-13-2010, 07:41 AM

Liked: 16
Hey guys,
New user, long time lurker

Sorry to interrupt but i have a few major questions about my tx-42F430s. They are listed as follows.

1) I have 1.3 firmware on my tx-42F430s. I checked the WDE site and I am eligible for the updated firmware. Is that firmware only for the Vchip stuff?

2) What is the best firmware available, modded or official, for my tv?

3) Is there a remote code, or firmware which features a RAW remote code, so that I can cycle between video presets? I have three different presets (one for video games, tv/movies, and one for when i want a the back light off). IF there is any way to hit a button to DIRECTLY select an individual preset that is even better than cycling.

4) Finally, I have for several months now, had burn in on my display. Since this is an LCD, technically it is a persistent image. At the top of the screen, where the TV would say 'No Input' those two words and their box provide a ghostly image,overlaying my movies, games, etc. I have left my tv off for over two weeks, unplugged, followed by a 12 hour white image burn in (pure white image across screen), but nothing has changed. I REALLY AM UPSET over this.

**) Bonus: Has anyone figured out pip on the device? By remote code, or firmware?

THANKS EVERYONE I really appreciate the assistance!
post #5789 of 6198 Old 01-13-2010, 12:57 PM

I have a 42F430S with the version 1.1 of the firmware. I downloaded several different versions (Susan 1.3, WH 1.42, Mod 1.3, etc.). I also tried with 3 different thumb drives. The Sony thumb drive worked once (light went amber, flashing blue/purple, solid blue) but the TV didn't take the update. The only reason I'm trying to update is to get rid of some Verizon Fios logos (image retention).

I read on this thread that you must update from 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3, etc. I can't seem to find any downloads for v1.2 - if someone has this can they post it? Is it possible that the firmware didn't take for whatever reason and that I should continue to try even though it wouldn't work a second time when I tried 1.3?

Thanks for the help.
post #5790 of 6198 Old 01-13-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsfanatic View Post

I have heard of some "ghosting" image retention with 1.2.0 and earlier firmwares but don't remember someone saying specifically that 1.2.0 caused HDMI issues.

Don't know if you have tried switching HDMI inputs while you have the BR player plugged in or switching off from HDMI altogether while it is connected then switching back some have reported that fixing HDMI issues like you describe.

If the BR player not working on the TV makes it unusable for you then it might be worth it to try to update the firmware. If the BR player not working isn't a big deal and you can live with it then of course it is safer to just leave it be.

If you go to Westhinghouse's website and input your serial number for your TV(on the back of the TV) then you should be able to download the most up to date firmware for your TV and instructions on how to install it. I would warn you though if it is 1.6.3 firmware then do not use that come back here and find 1.4.2 or 1.3.0 and use one of those. 1.6.3 makes all 1080i/p sources cut in and out and renders the TV useless for everyone that reported trying it on this thread.

I've tried everything imaginable, with no luck. And that includes trying to updating the firmware, but for some reason it doesn't work. I don't know if it's my flash drive or what... But I have it in the FAT32 format and followed the instructions. I even had a service repair guy come out (for free under my extended warranty) and he had never ran into this problem before and was basically useless.

I'll probably just go to BestBuy and explain the situation to them in person and see what solutions they offer...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
470uf cap , Westinghouse Tx 42f430s 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , westinghouse tx-47f430s
Gear in this thread - 470uf by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page