Official Westinghouse TX Series ( TX-42F430S, TX-47F430S ) Owner's Thread - Page 194 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5791 of 6183 Old 01-13-2010, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grsychckn View Post

I have a 42F430S with the version 1.1 of the firmware. I downloaded several different versions (Susan 1.3, WH 1.42, Mod 1.3, etc.). I also tried with 3 different thumb drives. The Sony thumb drive worked once (light went amber, flashing blue/purple, solid blue) but the TV didn't take the update. The only reason I'm trying to update is to get rid of some Verizon Fios logos (image retention).

I read on this thread that you must update from 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3, etc. I can't seem to find any downloads for v1.2 - if someone has this can they post it? Is it possible that the firmware didn't take for whatever reason and that I should continue to try even though it wouldn't work a second time when I tried 1.3?

Thanks for the help.

I'd recommend the firmware that I posted, it removes the version checks, so you should be able to go from 1.1 to 1.4.0. If it is not compatible the upgrade wont take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 6183 Old 01-13-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekztal View Post

I'd recommend the firmware that I posted, it removes the version checks, so you should be able to go from 1.1 to 1.4.0. If it is not compatible the upgrade wont take.

I tried it and unfortunately it doesn't take. I did try the one from the WH site directly and it didn't do anything. I'm wondering how long I need to let it sit before it does the upgrade. I may leave it for 15 minutes or so tonight and see what happens.
post #5793 of 6183 Old 01-13-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:

I tried it and unfortunately it doesn't take. I did try the one from the WH site directly and it didn't do anything. I'm wondering how long I need to let it sit before it does the upgrade. I may leave it for 15 minutes or so tonight and see what happens.

Shouldn't take more than 3 minutes.

Should start up amber for 20-30 seconds from the time you hit the power button, then purple for 3 minutes (the LED won't flash). Then blue when it's done.
post #5794 of 6183 Old 01-14-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Shouldn't take more than 3 minutes.

Should start up amber for 20-30 seconds from the time you hit the power button, then purple for 3 minutes (the LED won't flash). Then blue when it's done.

Yeah, I figured as much. The one time it actually changed from amber to blue it didn't update the firmware (using the susan 1.3 rar).

I left it in all night last night and it didn't do a thing. When I woke up I hit the power button again but it never changed from amber. I guess I'm lucky the TV still works even though it annoys me to no end with the image retention.
post #5795 of 6183 Old 01-14-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I figured as much. The one time it actually changed from amber to blue it didn't update the firmware (using the susan 1.3 rar).

I left it in all night last night and it didn't do a thing. When I woke up I hit the power button again but it never changed from amber. I guess I'm lucky the TV still works even though it annoys me to no end with the image retention.

That same thing happened to me when I first used the Susan_II firmware. You said the same thing happens with my firmware? Do you have your TV's Part number? If it's TW-51211-C047A it should work with my firmware.
post #5796 of 6183 Old 01-14-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:

That same thing happened to me when I first used the Susan_II firmware. You said the same thing happens with my firmware? Do you have your TV's Part number? If it's TW-51211-C047A it should work with my firmware.

I don't have the part number with me, but I think it's a TW-51211-C042A. When I use your firmware, my tv just sits there with the amber light and never changes. I do notice that it powers up the thumb drive briefly (drive lights up for 1 second) after plugging the TV back in but then doesn't do anything. I'll double check tonight to see what my part number is. I'll also try a different thumb drive tonight (the 4th).
post #5797 of 6183 Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:

I don't have the part number with me, but I think it's a TW-51211-C042A. When I use your firmware, my tv just sits there with the amber light and never changes. I do notice that it powers up the thumb drive briefly (drive lights up for 1 second) after plugging the TV back in but then doesn't do anything. I'll double check tonight to see what my part number is. I'll also try a different thumb drive tonight (the 4th).

I was wrong, the part number is 51122-C042A. I tried the new thumb drive and it didn't work either. What I did notice is that the blue light comes on briefly when I plug the TV back in with the USB drive in - then it immediately goes to amber. I also noticed in your modified tar file that one exit still returns a 1:

if ! ./do_update.sh ; then
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.;./UartCMDSend 68 16;./UartCMDSend 68 18
exit 1

curious as to if you know what this does...
post #5798 of 6183 Old 01-14-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:

I was wrong, the part number is 51122-C042A. I tried the new thumb drive and it didn't work either. What I did notice is that the blue light comes on briefly when I plug the TV back in with the USB drive in - then it immediately goes to amber. I also noticed in your modified tar file that one exit still returns a 1:

if ! ./do_update.sh ; then
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.;./UartCMDSend 68 16;./UartCMDSend 68 18
exit 1

curious as to if you know what this does...

I must have missed that one. It looks like it might check to see if do_update.sh exists, and if it does. Exports files from it?
post #5799 of 6183 Old 01-15-2010, 03:37 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtf612 View Post

Hey guys,
New user, long time lurker

Sorry to interrupt but i have a few major questions about my tx-42F430s. They are listed as follows.
1)Is that firmware only for the Vchip stuff?
2) What is the best firmware available, modded or official, for my tv?
3) Is there a remote code so that I can cycle between video presets? IF there is any way to hit a button to DIRECTLY select an individual preset that is even better than cycling.
4) Finally, I have for several months now a persistent image. At the top of the screen where the TV says 'No Input' and their box provide a ghostly image. HELP FIX IT
**) Bonus: Has anyone figured out pip on the device? By remote code, or firmware?
THANKS EVERYONE I really appreciate the assistance!

The above is a condensed version of my post on page 193. Please see the full post. Sorry to bump but i really need help
post #5800 of 6183 Old 01-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtf612 View Post

The above is a condensed version of my post on page 193. Please see the full post. Sorry to bump but i really need help

1)Is that firmware only for the Vchip stuff?

No there is n Vchip stuff that I have ever seen on my TV

2) What is the best firmware available, modded or official, for my tv?

I personally have not tried any of the modded firmware as far as official firmware the best most stable one is 1.3.0

3) Is there a remote code so that I can cycle between video presets? IF there is any way to hit a button to DIRECTLY select an individual preset that is even better than cycling.

Nope sorry there is no way to do this even with a Harmony remote the best you can do is set up a remote to press the desired number of times for you to get to the input you want

4) Finally, I have for several months now a persistent image. At the top of the screen where the TV says 'No Input' and their box provide a ghostly image. HELP FIX IT

Firmware 1.3.0 fixed the ghosting problem
post #5801 of 6183 Old 01-15-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:

I must have missed that one. It looks like it might check to see if do_update.sh exists, and if it does. Exports files from it?

I changed the exit 1 from that code to exit 0 and still nothing. At this point I'm wondering if my TV is either too old to accept the updates or the USB interface is on the fritz. I may try it again this weekend, but I think I'm pretty much done. I just wish I could find my extended warranty for the TV so I could deal with Best Buy in hopes of getting some exchange.
post #5802 of 6183 Old 01-15-2010, 06:52 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsfanatic View Post

1)2)3)4)......
Firmware 1.3.0 fixed the ghosting problem

As for #1, i meant is there any other issues adressed other than the vchipstuff which is not visible as it is only future proofing.

#2 What issues are there with 1.4?

#3 DANG IT! Is anyone else able to comment on this? Is there a way to create a firmware with this capability (im almost sure there is, just wondering about space requirements and programming ability)

post #5803 of 6183 Old 01-19-2010, 12:40 PM

Lately my 42" Westy will occasionally switch the screen to the PC input. I will be watching tv or playing xbox and the screen will swap out to the PC input screen. Has anyone had any unusual swapping of the screen? I'm not clear if it's a cable problem, a remote control problem, or a video connector problem. Hopefully I can tight up the connections on all these inputs and the problem will go away. If not, I'll be back.

Thank you:

Jordan
post #5804 of 6183 Old 01-20-2010, 10:24 AM

I came across this thread and am VERY grateful to have found it - as many of you already know, Westinghouse's support is HORRIBLE...

With that said - None of the HDMI ports on my TX-47F430S are working, I already updated the firmware (thanks to this thread) from 1.2 to 1.3, but am unable to get it to update to 1.4 - According to customer support, they said I needed to replace my mainboard and was wondering if anyone had any other ideas about this, or fixes that would allow me to avoid this.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated - thanks so much!
post #5805 of 6183 Old 01-20-2010, 10:25 AM

This can be as simple as shutting out autosource detection I have found - if you don't mind manually selecting your input.
post #5806 of 6183 Old 01-20-2010, 07:18 PM

Thank you Stev. I'll give that a try. I hadn't thought of that, as I usually do a manual selection anyway. But I'll check to see if that setting is used.

Sorry I can't help with your HDMI input problem. I only started using mine recently as I got a Blu-ray player. Everything else is through VGA or DVI or component.
post #5807 of 6183 Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstorm360 View Post

***ATTENTION TO ALL THOSE WITH THE WRONG FLASH -- AMBER NO START - "BRICKED" TVs***

Hello all ! hope you guys can help me !

i have a TX-52F480S that has the failed flash amber light syndrome

i have tried to edit the .sh scripts as per thunderstorm360's post but no joy

im using this firmware SusanII_v1.6.3 that i downloaded from the WDE site.

i was wondering if anyone has a previous version of this firmware say like 1.1 or 1.2 and would send me a copy?

i think the original version was 1.1 as this is written on a sticker on one of the chips on the main board...
post #5808 of 6183 Old 01-22-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevkrause View Post

I came across this thread and am VERY grateful to have found it - as many of you already know, Westinghouse's support is HORRIBLE...

With that said - None of the HDMI ports on my TX-47F430S are working, I already updated the firmware (thanks to this thread) from 1.2 to 1.3, but am unable to get it to update to 1.4 - According to customer support, they said I needed to replace my mainboard and was wondering if anyone had any other ideas about this, or fixes that would allow me to avoid this.

Anyone?? I am really out on an island here...
post #5809 of 6183 Old 01-23-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:

Anyone?? I am really out on an island here...

Stev,

Did you try the modded Firmware posted by ekztal at http://www.mediafire.com/?w1nnnmzmmrz ? You can see his notes on it 2 pages back in the thread - it's the post with the screenshots. Many seem to have had good luck with it.

That being said, 1.3.0 seems to be the most stable release and you have it on your set already. I do too, and only ONE of my ports works at any given time. I put a cable in port 4 and attached an HDMI splitter to it. Perhaps it would be worth a bit more time with a good source like a dvd or blu-ray player to see if you can get one of the ports working with a factory reset (accessible from the menu) and a restart (hold in power button about 10 sec when you shut it down). Let us know!

Diz
post #5810 of 6183 Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 AM

I am in warranty until March. Should I have someone come fix my screen? My HDMI port originally had problems with my ps3 and would go black and not detect anything until i unplugged it. That no longer happens as of now. And the main problem is I have a GTX 285 video card in my pc that is DVI only. I tried to use a DVI to HDMI cord to connect to my TV screen but it constantly blinks a black screen. If this something i can fix with an upgrade? Or should I get someone to come fix it? Or is this a problem that cannot be fixed. When I hit the menu button and go to Settings System info it says Build on: 2008 Mar 5
Software Version 5121_1.6.3
not sure if this is the firmware or what. Any info helps a lot
Thank you
post #5811 of 6183 Old 01-27-2010, 05:01 PM

Stealth,

I'd definately try ekztal's firmware at the link I posted above your post. Let us know!

Diz
post #5812 of 6183 Old 01-27-2010, 06:02 PM

For my 42" I updated the firmware to 1.3 official and left it there. I haven't had one single issue since. Seems to me, a lot of the early HDMI handshake issues have been resolved by a combination of firmware updates and hardware manufacturers sorting out individual handshake issues. PS3's where notorious for not working properly with a lot of sets.

The image retention problem was solved for me with 1.3. Also make, sure you don't use the mode where the TV backlight turns off but not the screen. That is asking for trouble. Wait the extra two seconds for the set to boot.
post #5813 of 6183 Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:

My parents TX-47F430S did this exact thing. I was about to upgrade the firmware to see if that would solve this issue but something else worked. I unplugged everything for at least 5min before I was going to attempt the flash so I decided to plug it back in for one last shot and bingo worked fine ever since.

cliffs: unplug everything

ZZ
post #5814 of 6183 Old 02-13-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoCoolJ View Post

For my 42" I updated the firmware to 1.3 official and left it there. I haven't had one single issue since. Seems to me, a lot of the early HDMI handshake issues have been resolved by a combination of firmware updates and hardware manufacturers sorting out individual handshake issues. PS3's where notorious for not working properly with a lot of sets.

The image retention problem was solved for me with 1.3. Also make, sure you don't use the mode where the TV backlight turns off but not the screen. That is asking for trouble. Wait the extra two seconds for the set to boot.

Hi NotSoCoolJ, I have gone through 1 set already due to the image retention (the 4:3 border and box with no input display). This new set I got from Best Buy through warranty was good but now I have the same issue my system info says: Build date 2007 Sep 7 Software Version: 5112_1.2.0. How can I upgrade my firmware to 3.0? Also, you recommend using E. Saver mode under power settings? I am new to this site, any input would be appreciated. Thanks
post #5815 of 6183 Old 02-14-2010, 08:50 PM

You need to update the firmware to 1.3. That firmware is posted somewhere around here. I don't think you can get it any longer from Westinghouse. You could go to the web site and enter your information and see what firmware it gives you.

Do not use e.saver mode! Just wait the extra time for it to boot up. And as always you really should stretch or zoom 4:3 material on these TVs if most of your programming is 4:3. Man you guys scare me. I have had one of these things going for close to 20 hours a day for maybe a year and a half or more. I have not had one single problem......Yet!

It's like a time bomb... Of course, I haven't tried to show it off to anyone. I bet it would go to hell straight away if I did that.
post #5816 of 6183 Old 02-15-2010, 07:21 AM

Sorry for what may seem like a "this is already answered!" question, but I've been going back back back back through this thread and I'm still confused. After all, there are almost 200 pages! So I'm hoping someone will take pity on me :-)

I have a TX-42F430S running 5110_1.1.0 build on 2007 April 13. Part number TW-51101-L042A. I bought this June 2007. Input is from multiple devices all routed via my Denon receiver which plugs into HDMI1 on the TV.

Now I have two problems with this machine.

The first is the "crash" that appears to be related to HDCP negotiation; this is where the machine refuses to respond to the remote any more, won't negotiate a change in input signal (eg if I switch from 1080i to 1080p source via my receiver) and so on. Requires holding down the power button on the side of the TV for 5 seconds or so to reboot. This isn't a major annoyance.

The second is where the picture may disappear for a second or 2 then come back. Almost as if the TV loses the HDMI signal and renegotiates. This happens with both BluRay 1080p and TiVo 1080i input. It also appears to be getting worse over time (it also used to happen before I got the Denon and put the TiVo direct into the TV, so I know that's not the problem!)

From reading this thread it appears both of these problems are relatively common.

So would a firmware update help me? From the Westinghouse website I can see the 1.4.2 firmware (01_OSD_FW_V1.4.2.rar). I've also found (via this thread) the 1.3.0 firmware (SusanII_v1.3.0_20071026.rar). However I'm not sure if the SusanII file is compatible with my part number. And I'm not sure if there are any gotcha's with the official 1.4.2 firmware (I see 1.6.3 is to be avoided!).

Any guidance on what firmware I should apply, or (indeed) whether firmware updates will help me at all?

Thanks!

Rgds
Stephen
post #5817 of 6183 Old 02-20-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:

I changed the exit 1 from that code to exit 0 and still nothing. At this point I'm wondering if my TV is either too old to accept the updates or the USB interface is on the fritz. I may try it again this weekend, but I think I'm pretty much done. I just wish I could find my extended warranty for the TV so I could deal with Best Buy in hopes of getting some exchange.

You have the same model I have and I have the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?
post #5818 of 6183 Old 02-20-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taintedspam View Post

You have the same model I have and I have the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

I don't know if this is your problem, but I had problems updating from 1.1 to 1.4 on a normal (unpatched, unbricked) TV. When I used a Sandisk Cruzer micro 2Gb disk formatted as FAT32 then the TV refused to flash from it. However when I used a SanDisk Ultra II 512Mb formatted as FAT then it flashed first time and successfully did the update.

So maybe you could try a smaller flash drive formatted as FAT.

Rgds
Stephen
post #5819 of 6183 Old 02-20-2010, 08:54 PM

Hmmm... I just so happen to be using a Sandisk Cruzer 2gig - How'd ya know?! I don't have any smaller readily available. I'll have to dig one up at work on Monday.
post #5820 of 6183 Old 02-22-2010, 04:44 PM

I have a 64 meg memory stick formatted as FAT16. The TV powers the stick and seems to function normally (I unplugged all the inputs, so I get a "no source detected" message) with it plugged in, but... does nothing else. I've tried all three files.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
470uf cap , Westinghouse Tx 42f430s 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , westinghouse tx-47f430s
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page