Official Westinghouse TX Series ( TX-42F430S, TX-47F430S ) Owner's Thread - Page 196 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5851 of 6193 Old 05-18-2010, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the firmware update. My brick is fixed!

An fyi for everyone, I tried flashing my 42F430S with two different Micro Center drives but couldn't get either to work. I found success by using a Kingston Data Traveler drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 6193 Old 06-05-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekztal View Post

Yup extract the files to the USB

Turn the power off, OFF not standby (or just unplug), then plug in the USB drive to the back of the TV. Then hit plug in the TV, if you unplugged it, and the Power button once.

Then you should see the LED light on the front of the TV turn from amber (after about 30 seconds) to purple to blue if I'm not mistaken. From the time you hit the power button to flashing sequence shouldn't take more than 3-4 minutes.

After it turns blue you can unplug the USB and restart the TV.

If the TV turns on normally you need a different USB drive or you need to reformat your USB drive as FAT32.

I've been reading posts about your custom firmware for a 42" westinghouse tv. Do you think it would work for a 52"? I've downloaded it and i'm planning on testing it out but i'm concerned that it might make matters worse. Has anyone else experience with using this on a 52"?
Thanks.
post #5853 of 6193 Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 PM

Well, I jumped the gun and tried the edited firmware on my 52" brick. To be completely honest, I did try the SusanII 1.3 and the 1.6. Neither offered any different results. So I gave Ekzal's edited firmware for the 42" and success. The tv booted up and my ps3 connected with only a small (odd) issue that some games didn't have sound at first. The problem resolves itself during later tests.

So, Thank you, thank you, thank you. This TV has been dead for over a year and has been moved twice with hopes that i would be able to find a replacement controller board which seems to be virtually impossible. I believe that there are other tX-52F480s owners out there than can benefit from this firmware also.
post #5854 of 6193 Old 06-07-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy6900 View Post

Well, I jumped the gun and tried the edited firmware on my 52" brick. To be completely honest, I did try the SusanII 1.3 and the 1.6. Neither offered any different results. So I gave Ekzal's edited firmware for the 42" and success. The tv booted up and my ps3 connected with only a small (odd) issue that some games didn't have sound at first. The problem resolves itself during later tests.

So, Thank you, thank you, thank you. This TV has been dead for over a year and has been moved twice with hopes that i would be able to find a replacement controller board which seems to be virtually impossible. I believe that there are other tX-52F480s owners out there than can benefit from this firmware also.

Thanks for taking the plunge and trying the firmware out. I'm glad it got your TV working again!

I'll make a note of it on my original firmware post.
post #5855 of 6193 Old 06-07-2010, 10:06 PM

westinghouse tx-47f430s just started to act up. what it's doing is it has picture for 10mins then goes out but audio is ok. unplug the tv and it does again 10 mins later the picture would go out but has sound.

any idea?

tia

XBL GTÂ vFLOODv
post #5856 of 6193 Old 06-10-2010, 02:23 AM

anyone?

XBL GTÂ vFLOODv
post #5857 of 6193 Old 06-11-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injected Sin View Post

anyone?

I have no idea!

At lest you have a response now, don't give up this thread gets slow at times.
post #5858 of 6193 Old 06-13-2010, 11:36 AM

Hello

I've a TX47F430S, and I've been having some issues.

1) If I'm using my ps3, often times the tv will "blink" -- image goes out for a second, but then it comes back up. It can happen several times in a short span, or not at all. It's pretty random.

2) I have persistence image retention with the "No Input Detected" and "HDMI "x" " display boxes.

From what I gather here there is a custom firmware upgrade by Ekztal, and it should work on my 47" correct? This will mark the 1st time I upgrade a tv firmware
post #5859 of 6193 Old 06-14-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injected Sin View Post

westinghouse tx-47f430s just started to act up. what it's doing is it has picture for 10mins then goes out but audio is ok. unplug the tv and it does again 10 mins later the picture would go out but has sound.

any idea?

tia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephtis View Post

Hello

I've a TX47F430S, and I've been having some issues.

1) If I'm using my ps3, often times the tv will "blink" -- image goes out for a second, but then it comes back up. It can happen several times in a short span, or not at all. It's pretty random.

2) I have persistence image retention with the "No Input Detected" and "HDMI "x" " display boxes.

From what I gather here there is a custom firmware upgrade by Ekztal, and it should work on my 47" correct? This will mark the 1st time I upgrade a tv firmware

Hey, guys. Although Ekztal is too modest to admit it, virtually all problems with this TV (which has a great picture and very poor software) can be solved with Ekztal's custom firmware. You can download it at this link . You can see his notes regarding the firmware on page 193 of this thread - it's the post with the screenshots. Pass it on!
post #5860 of 6193 Old 06-14-2010, 05:18 PM

I actually managed to flash to Ekztal's 1.4.0 version and it looks awesome! I have yet to try it on my ps3 to see if I get the blinking issue still. However, the boxes on the top right and center still have that image persistence issue. So I tried to downgrade to 1.3 (susanII_v1.3.0_20071026.rar) and that just locked my TV up, I thought I bricked it

so I went back to Ekztal's version again lol

I'll be happy if just the blinking alone is fixed though. still, sad about the image persistence
post #5861 of 6193 Old 06-15-2010, 12:15 AM

I have 5110_1.1.0. My TV freezes when I switch to PC input. Am I better off using the 1.4.0 edited firmware posted here or calling Westinghouse and attempting to get them to email me a link to a firmware download?

I recall there used to be a page on their site, but it seems long gone.

Thanks!
post #5862 of 6193 Old 06-15-2010, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader zog View Post

I have 5110_1.1.0. My TV freezes when I switch to PC input. Am I better off using the 1.4.0 edited firmware posted here or calling Westinghouse and attempting to get them to email me a link to a firmware download?

I recall there used to be a page on their site, but it seems long gone.

Thanks!

Don't waste your time with Westinghouse. I called a couple of weeks ago regarding firmware that used to be on their site. Their response, "it was only posted to fix a V-chip issue and not anything else". Since people were bricking their TV's and Westinghouse wasn't willing to support that, they pulled it.

I'm going to try to load 1.4 as my Panasonic BD-60 Bluray player is having HDMI handshake issues every 10-15 mins. I shouldn't be wary about upgrading since a bunch of people have had great success, but I'm just not ready to buy a new TV if something bad happens :-)

Cheers
post #5863 of 6193 Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 AM

Well, I've taken the plunge and went ahead with the upgrade. Everything has taken successfully!!! Now I need to test if it has fixed my HDMI handshake issue with my Panasonic BD-60 bluray player. Will update later. Again, thanks for everything!!!
post #5864 of 6193 Old 06-19-2010, 12:41 PM

I justed wanted to say thanks for all the thread input and the firmware upgrade.

After working fine for 3 years, my 47" bricked itself yesterday (classic amber light on startup and reboot but no blue light). I found this thread and after a lot of reading (196 pages) I was ready to try Ekztal's firmware. Since the TV was already bricked I did't know what the original firmware version was, but it worked great on the first try.

For the record

Used an empty 1.0 GB UBS drive FAT32
Part #: TW-51201-L047A
SN: 512037170XXXX

Thanks again.
post #5865 of 6193 Old 06-19-2010, 04:19 PM

Have a 42" TX-42f430s - owned with no issues for 2+ years now - we turned on the power save mode yesterday and since then it wont turn on, we just get the amber light. No big white W.. no audio.. just black screen with the amber light.

Tried flashing it like 50+ times with 5 different styles of thumb drive with the: "TX-42F430S - v1.4.0 - editted" Firm Ware

I extracted the contents of the ZIP to the root of the USB drives, Formatted in FAT32 first, then tried in FAT

When we initial power up, the usb drive gets read, then we sit at the amber light. I'm assuming that it sees the files but then decides not to act on them.

The instructions seemed pretty straight forward, Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Ive also noticed in earlier reply's that others with the same part# as mine are meeting with little success in flashing their FW as well, but aren't necessarily experiencing the same problem.
post #5866 of 6193 Old 06-21-2010, 11:46 AM

Just wanted to report back in. The firmware upgrade has fixed my Bluray player issue and I'm happy as can be!!!! Thanks a ton!!!

Cheers,
Bidzer
post #5867 of 6193 Old 06-23-2010, 03:43 AM

Update: Ok did the fw ekztal 1.4 update but it didn't solve my problem. Picture still disappears after 10mins. Power cycle/unplug the tv and re-boots picture works again but few minutes laters same result picture fade out, only audio remains.

Any ideas what could be causing the picture to disappear? What 'board' would be responsible for causing this?

XBL GTÂ vFLOODv
post #5868 of 6193 Old 06-24-2010, 09:56 PM

We got picture and audio back, except ONLY through component, (DVR and PS3).
Sometimes the controls will freeze, during this freeze what ever was last on stays watchable you just cant turn off the TV or change the volume or inputs.. soft reset with the power button brings it back. sometimes switching from component input #1 to #2 will cause the unit to lock up.

But most of all, if it is switched to HDMI, we may not get off the amber light for hours.

Westinghouse is useless, BB tech support is sending out a repair man. I'm interested to hear what they have to say about it.

Kinda hoping they end up replacing it with something comparable, I've loved this TV but power save mode causing catastrophic failure coupled with **** support for a known issue, I'm fed up with this brand
post #5869 of 6193 Old 07-05-2010, 05:44 PM
gnc

After watching a fair amount of 4:3 SD content on my TX47F430S, I now have three distinct vertical 'bands' on my screen. Is there any fix out there or is this TV now junk? I though LCD screens were not nearly as susceptable to this problem, and my other TV, a Sharp Aquos 50" LCD which has even more hours on it (with about the same ratio of 4:3 to widescreen viewing) shows absolutely no sign of this problem.
post #5870 of 6193 Old 07-09-2010, 12:30 AM

Hola gang, I've tried 3 different USB thumb drives, and my tx-47f430s doesnt want to seem to read any of them. After booting up the tv with all 3 in, 2 over 2 gigs, 1 only 128 megs, it just goes from amber to blue and turns on the tv. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get it to read my drives, or what drive I should use? Thanks in advance!
post #5871 of 6193 Old 07-09-2010, 11:38 AM

We have a Westinghouse TX-47F430s HDTV (2.5 years old). We have sound, but no picture through the cable box (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD). The screen displays a pillar-box (standard size) with a gray bar at the top and bottom with no image in between the two bars (screen has light). We can view the cable box guide if we click on it on the remote. The STRANGE thing is that we have both sound and picture when we plug the HDMI cable directly into our DVD player.

We have already tried replacing the HDMI cable and the cable box, but neither one helped.

The TV has done some other strange things over the last 6 months or so --

Shut off on its own several times.
Tiling (mainly on recorded programs)
Sound, but picture freezing
HDMI Ports stopped working (TV displayed - No Input) - Reset the TV to "factory" settings and they worked again

If you have any thoughts on what might be wrong, we would greatly appreciate it.
post #5872 of 6193 Old 07-11-2010, 02:35 PM

I've had the TX-42F430s for a couple years and have had no issues. We recently switched to Dish Networks and have one of their VIP722 DVR. When the DVR starts recording something and the TV is not on the HDMI input for the DVR, the tv switches to the DVR. Very annoying when you are watching a DVD and the tv jumps to the DVR on its own. I've searched a bit and cant find a solution. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

--Chris
post #5873 of 6193 Old 07-12-2010, 06:20 AM

In the settings menu, you can disable "autosource" mode to prevent the HDTV from switching when a source becomes active.
post #5874 of 6193 Old 07-14-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nnc View Post

In the settings menu, you can disable "autosource" mode to prevent the HDTV from switching when a source becomes active.

Thank you! It's been driving me nuts.
post #5875 of 6193 Old 07-16-2010, 06:42 AM

Update: Replaced the 'master' and 'slave' inverter boards same result no picture has sound.

Placed a fan right on top where the LCD controller board is located...viola! TV runs fine for hours. Seems the heat is causing the failure. The LCD controller board must be affected and worn.

I just ordered a new LCD controller (T-con) hopefully it will resolve my issue.

XBL GTÂ vFLOODv
post #5876 of 6193 Old 07-18-2010, 03:25 AM

*sigh*, I've tried five different drives of different capacities and makers with no luck. It'll flash once when I plug it in, with some drives it'll even flash some more, but then will stay solid amber forever, no firmware flashing, nothing happening on screen.

Here's my issue. I have a TX-42F430S running 5112_1.2.0 that, all of the sudden, decided it didn't want to talk to my PS3 anymore. It auto detects the right resolution, 1080P or 480P when I reset it to that, and will auto-tune the correct HDMI input, but I get nothing else.

The Apple TV is fine. I've swapped HDMI cables around, they're all fine. I've run the PS3 in various resolutions on my Hannspree monitor through HDMI, fine. All the HDMI ports on the back respond to the Apple TV correctly, but not the PS3.

My Xbox 360 won't recognize the display as valid for HDCP, so I can't even play DVDs on it, let alone the blu-rays I have.

Do I just need to try more, different flash drives in hopes that one will finally take? Two different PNYs, a Kingston, a microsd card reader, nothing seems to mount on the TV. Is my file structure on the card simply supposed to be safe-kernel.img1 and the tgz?
post #5877 of 6193 Old 07-19-2010, 08:05 AM

I'm no expert by any means, and I'm going from memory, but here are a couple things to try.

Hard reset: Turn on display, press-and-hold the power button for 15 seconds or so. This apparently does a hard reset. IIRC, the set initially turns off, but then the W Westinghouse logo comes on. I have two displays and one decides every once in awhile to not display the one input (from a AV receiver/amp). I used to have to leave the power unplugged for several hours to get it unstuck. I searched on google, and there was speculation that the display keeps a set of HDCP keys, and when the set is full it won't show any input. If you ping me, I'll dig up some links.

Upgrade: The flash drive needs to have an archive at the top level directory. There may be naming requirements. It has been a long time since I've upgraded. Again, google was my friend then too.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post15131248
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12780825. *

Sent from my iPad
post #5878 of 6193 Old 07-26-2010, 11:57 AM

A big thank you to Ekztal and his firmware and instructions.

I unbricked our TX-47F430S. If you look at page 188 you will see I was talking about it back in 2009.

I dont know what made me decide to come back here and read again, and voila there was a solution.

I downloaded the firmware from here:
TX-42F430S - v1.4.0 - editted.zip

I formatted a 512MB USB Stick with FAT (FAT16)

I followed these instructions EXACTLY!!!!
1. Remove Tv power cord.
2. Insert usb in tv port.
3. Plug tv power cord.
4. I did not press the on/off button. The update started with a purple LED and did not blink as Westinghouse instructions says.
5. Wait about 3 and half minutes until the LED turn blue.
6. Remove USB.
7. Press on/off button once to turn off tv. The LED goes to amber.
8. I press the on/off button again for 10 seconds and the tv turned on. Some people recommends for this step to remove/plug power cord.

Just follow those instructions dont do anything extra or funky, and be patient, mine did the same thing it went from Purple LED to Blue LED in about 3-4 Minutes.

Now we have a working TV again and I get to look like a hero at work.

Thanks Again to Ekztal and this forum.
post #5879 of 6193 Old 08-04-2010, 05:51 PM

I have been reading through all of the pages to try to flash a stable firmware and i seem to be having some trouble doing so. I have a Westinghouse TX 42F430S and i downloaded Ekztal custom firmware. However the TV does not take it. So i went and downloaded SusanII_v1.3.0_20071026 and the TV flashed it... or so i thought. The steps i took were:
1. Unplug TV
2. Plug in USB with the files on the root directory
3. Plug TV back in and waited for the light to change from amber to a flashing purple light and then blue.
4. Unplugged power from TV and removed USB
5. Went into menu after TV was powered on and it stills shows version 1.6.3

Is there something that im doing wrong?
post #5880 of 6193 Old 08-06-2010, 03:31 PM

HDMI issues. I have a two year old Westinghouse 42" HDTV model 42F430S. It came with firmware update 1.3. I bought a Samsung BD-C5500 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player mainly to stream Netflix to my Westinghouse. HDCP issues resulted. I returned it and bought a Panasonic Blu-ray Model BD-655P-K from Costco, which works well.

I decided to buy a different model DVD, rather than try to upload the new Westy firmware 1.4 found on this thread, in small part because the Westy CSR said my firmware version 1.3 was the most up to date, the Panny cost a bit less, my Westy has worked well , and I am adverse to risk this close to football season. Not much help from Westy.

No issues with the Panny, works great streaming Netflix and otherwise.

HDCP issues (I am a novice). Samsung model required entering Netflix activation codes repeatedly. Rarely would it stream Netflix via an HDMI connection-- giving just the "no signal" display. I used the Component Video (Y-Pr-Pb) connection to stream Netflix and then I always had to unplug the Samsung and restart. The normal Samsung DVD firmware update did not fix it nor could Samsung CSR fix it, except blame my Westy, which was probably fair...... based on what I have read here. I do not fault the Samsung model, which, when it worked via component cables and after resetting each time seemed to display an excellent picture.

So basically I bought a different model Blu Ray to avoid HDCP/HDMI issues and kicked the Westy HDMI problem down the road. I do wish Westinghouse would officially fix the problem, rather than make us rely on the good will and great ingenuity of the folks on this board.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
470uf cap , Westinghouse Tx 42f430s 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , westinghouse tx-47f430s
Gear in this thread - 470uf by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page