Official Westinghouse TX Series ( TX-42F430S, TX-47F430S ) Owner's Thread - Page 197 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5881 of 6165 Old 08-07-2010, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My panel has the issue where HDMI doesn't work. Tried the reset and everything. I checked my firmware. It says I have 5112_1.6.3. Built Mar 5 2008. Can't install 1.4(modified). Model TX-42F430S. Part: TW-51123-C042A.
Strange, no?

Edit: Here's a pic. http://db.tt/D5tcNM
Edit 2: Tried several different drives, all fat16 then 32. Two things happen:
- either nothing happens upon plugging in the TV (orange) -> i then press the power button and still nothing happens (orange)
- or nothing happens upon plugging in the TV (orange) -> power button turns the TV on, goes to blue. FW version still 1.6.3.
Bummer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5882 of 6165 Old 08-07-2010, 08:05 PM

@audibleBLiNK I'm having the samething happen to my TV. I contacted westinghouse and they said they are going to send me the link to there official firmware of 1.3.0 and i hope that will fix my damn TV.
post #5883 of 6165 Old 08-14-2010, 10:09 PM

Help!

I've lived with this TV for almost 3 years with the "No Input Signal" box burnt into everything I have watched. Wanted to update the firmware to maybe help this. It is currently running v1.2 that came with the set.

I have tried 3 USB sticks

Transcend 8G
Adata MyFlash 1G
Lexan Media Jump Drive 64M

The Lexan is evidently not seen as after replugging in the set the light goes quickly to blue and starts up.

With the other 2 drives, the light stays amber forever. Unplugging the set and replugging does bring me back to where I started.

All 3 sticks show a brief flicker of the activity LED about 4 seconds after plugging in.

Any ideas? Does somethign need "enabled" in order to flash new firmware. Are some sets just not flashable, or is it I just have 3 unlucky flash drives?

Spektre

edit: the "forever amber" light is also seen with an SD card in some cheapo USB - SD card reader.

edit: Went out today and got two more flash drives. A 1M Dane-Elec and a 8M SanDisk Cruzer. Both have the same forever amber problem. I have to conclude that unfortunately Ekztal's firmware is not comptible with my set. Anyone have any links to the official Westinghouse firmwre links?

(At least my TV still "works" as it doesn't appear this firmware "took" at all.
post #5884 of 6165 Old 08-15-2010, 02:17 PM

I have an idea to put to prove whether the issue is USB stick or firmware related.

Would anyone who had successfully flashed Ekztal's firmware on the 42F430S please lend me your USB stick? I can pay for shipping both ways OR I could simply paypal it from you. (If you are in the Columbus, OH area I could just pick it up).

If it worked on yours, yet fails on mine then there is an incompatibility issue unrelated to the USB drive.

Thanks.

Spektre
post #5885 of 6165 Old 08-16-2010, 06:16 AM

It's been a couple years since I upgraded, and I'm going from memory, but I recall that the issues almost always were with the contents and naming of the files on the flash drive. IIRC, the file at the top level should be an archive file, not unpacked. I recommend rechecking the instructions. I can look up that info, if you want and can tolerate a delay until I get to it.
post #5886 of 6165 Old 08-16-2010, 08:33 PM

Well just a quick update...After a few particularly unhelpful calls to Westinghouse I scrolled back through the thread to find a "Susan..." 1.3 version of the firmware and lo' and behold...that firmware worked.

Didn't fix the "No Input Signal" persistance problem, but it upgrade the set to 1.3. Something is in the script/firmwar of the 1.40 editted version that did not allow updating on my set.

Spektre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre99 View Post

Help!

I've lived with this TV for almost 3 years with the "No Input Signal" box burnt into everything I have watched. Wanted to update the firmware to maybe help this. It is currently running v1.2 that came with the set.

I have tried 3 USB sticks

Transcend 8G
Adata MyFlash 1G
Lexan Media Jump Drive 64M

The Lexan is evidently not seen as after replugging in the set the light goes quickly to blue and starts up.

With the other 2 drives, the light stays amber forever. Unplugging the set and replugging does bring me back to where I started.

All 3 sticks show a brief flicker of the activity LED about 4 seconds after plugging in.

Any ideas? Does somethign need "enabled" in order to flash new firmware. Are some sets just not flashable, or is it I just have 3 unlucky flash drives?

Spektre

edit: the "forever amber" light is also seen with an SD card in some cheapo USB - SD card reader.

edit: Went out today and got two more flash drives. A 1M Dane-Elec and a 8M SanDisk Cruzer. Both have the same forever amber problem. I have to conclude that unfortunately Ekztal's firmware is not comptible with my set. Anyone have any links to the official Westinghouse firmwre links?

(At least my TV still "works" as it doesn't appear this firmware "took" at all.

post #5887 of 6165 Old 08-21-2010, 02:46 AM

Well, got my tv back by holding down the power button for 10 s to reboot. Appears I have 1.3 firmware. Should I stick to this or should I upgrade? Much appreciate if someone can post the link for the firmware which is the best one to have. thnx

Wildpig
post #5888 of 6165 Old 08-30-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre99 View Post

I have an idea to put to prove whether the issue is USB stick or firmware related.

Would anyone who had successfully flashed Ekztal's firmware on the 42F430S please lend me your USB stick? I can pay for shipping both ways OR I could simply paypal it from you. (If you are in the Columbus, OH area I could just pick it up).

If it worked on yours, yet fails on mine then there is an incompatibility issue unrelated to the USB drive.

Thanks.

Spektre

I flashed my TV's firmware using THIS flash drive.

I didn't reformat or anything, just put the files on there.
post #5889 of 6165 Old 08-30-2010, 06:26 AM

much appreciated if someone can link me to the TX-47F430S firmware as not on westy site anymore ;(. thnx

Wildpig
post #5890 of 6165 Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 PM

I got ekztal's firmware to take ... but unfortunately the ghosting is still there (the problem mentioned in Spektre99's post about No Input box in everything).

I guess I'm just stuck with this issue eh? I've tried everything from calling Westinghouse to leaving a white screen on the system for an hour to updating firmware to leaving the set unplugged for an hour. Seems I'm just stuck with it.

The weird part is, is that when the set is first turned on the outlines are NOT there, it's only when I go into something like a movie (VGA/Component) and it shows up.

It's really distracting and honestly, I will probably never buy another Westinghouse product again.
post #5891 of 6165 Old 09-06-2010, 08:47 PM

Hello,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. My TX-47F430S has been acting up again recently. I'm having issues with distortion on the component inputs. I wouldn't have noticed since I usually use the HDMI inputs, but I recently bought a panasonic bluray player which does not seem to work over the HDMI port (which works fine on other televisions i've tried it on).

I get like a blue snow effect, and a dark fuzzy black bar across the upper 10% of the screen sometimes.

I was going to try and see if American Express would help me out with either getting it repaired or replacing it since it falls under their coverage period, but I can't find my copy of the manufacturer's warranty which they require as documentation. I'm not sure if its personalized to the unit or not, but if it isn't and anyone has it handy, can you please send it to me, or link it?

Thanks

9/08/10: Found my copy
post #5892 of 6165 Old 09-10-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinpiranha View Post

I got ekztal's firmware to take ... but unfortunately the ghosting is still there (the problem mentioned in Spektre99's post about No Input box in everything).

I guess I'm just stuck with this issue eh? I've tried everything from calling Westinghouse to leaving a white screen on the system for an hour to updating firmware to leaving the set unplugged for an hour. Seems I'm just stuck with it.

The weird part is, is that when the set is first turned on the outlines are NOT there, it's only when I go into something like a movie (VGA/Component) and it shows up.

It's really distracting and honestly, I will probably never buy another Westinghouse product again.

Same here Pirahna.

Knowing what I know about LCD technology, this just seems VERY improbable to be a ghosting or burn in issue. It is almost surely a faulty software issue. I have the same as you...it is not present until going into displaying actual video. I ran a pure white screen on it for a week once with no change. So, since it was so distracting I ran a pure black screen with just a white box covering the "No Input found" area. Also no change and no other burn in. If THAT did not burn it in, I seriously doubt the No Input Found indicator did.
post #5893 of 6165 Old 09-15-2010, 07:18 PM

Vintage 2007 TX-42F430S. Using component cables off regular DVD player (set to 430I), the picture is jumpy. This same issue happened a few years ago, I changed cables and problem resolved. Now, tried 3 sets of cables AND another DVD player with same bad results. I'm stumped. Any ideas? Thanks!
post #5894 of 6165 Old 09-23-2010, 02:47 PM

I have always had problems with this Westinghouse (WH) TX-47F430S TV and Westinghouse will not provide any support. I first had problems with the selection of HDMI. It would get stuck on one input and not let go or not be able to find any connected devices. WH customer support told me to unplug the TV and plug it back in, that worked, but I didn't know it would become a ritual a couple of times a week. WH customer support said they could not do anything if rebooting the TV in this way worked.

Okay...now that I am out of warranty, the screen went black and the unplugging ritual does nothing...sill a black screen. Called WH customer support and was told since it is out of warranty I need to take it to a repair shop. I had read here that some people had their "bricked" TVs start working after installing a firmware update. I asked WH customer support why I cannot find the update on their website. I was told they were no longer supporting this discontinued TV!!! I ask them to send me the most recent firmware update and was told they don't have any. I then asked them which repair shop in my area fixed Westinghouse TVs and I was told they don't have/recommend any repair facilities. I asked how I would go about ordering parts, if I could determine what needed to be replaced and I was told that they do not sell repair parts and could not refer me to anyone who does. I know from other peoples on-line posts that this model was still being sold in 2009...so that means that WH is not supporting a TV that was sold less than 18 months ago.

They put warning labels on cigarette packages, I think Westinghouse should be required to put a warning on their boxes that the contents will not be supported or be able to be fixed in 1 year to 18 months after you purchase it.

SHAME ON WESTINGHOUSE... taking a good established brand and destroying its reputation...just for quick bucks.

I have tried all of the firmware offerings on this thread...thanks guys for your insights. Here is the result in my case, starts orange, it blinks purple for a long time and then becomes blue. Still has a black screen. I am not sure if it makes sense to start buying parts on eBay and replacing each part until it works, since it may be a firmware problem.

Any help will be appreciated.
post #5895 of 6165 Old 09-24-2010, 08:37 AM

You might want to try a reset, instead of power-cycling. Reset appears to have a different impact. I have times when nothing else works. To reset, start with display off, then press-and-hold the power button for 15 seconds. The W logo should eventually be displayed.
Also, for me short power-off periods would not resolve problems, but long ones would. Long means overnight or at least a few hours.

I think most of the problems come from hdcp (the copy protection on hdmi), so I blame Westinghouse less than the content guys who forced hdcp upon us. I say this because my other equipment sometimes also misbehaves.
post #5896 of 6165 Old 11-23-2010, 01:53 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the ghosting issues if there's new solutions?

I updated the firmware and it's still happening. Sometimes it makes me wonder if I should get a new lcd panel or something, hahaha

post #5897 of 6165 Old 11-23-2010, 02:16 PM

I was having difficulties finding the firmware updates on the site. How did you get them?

My problem is that the TV and my new BluRay player do not seem to get along very well. It takes about 2-3 minutes of flickering to get the video signal stabilized (I strongly suspect HDMI/HDCP issues) and I've noticed when streaming netflix from the blu-ray player that after about 10 minutes, the audio starts to get crackles, pops, etc and that cycling the HDMI inputs fixes the issue.
post #5898 of 6165 Old 11-23-2010, 05:43 PM

Hello,
I have read the many, many pages here and am now to the point where I need to ask what I try next. I acquired a TX-47f430S non working. I flashed the USB nothing; amber light still lit will go blue with remote or power button after sitting for a minute or two but nothing on screen (if the lights are off you can see a minor screen flash when pressing power button.) I replaced the main board with new (no change) I replaced the power board (no change) I now have a new power board and main board and it still behaves the same. The only boards left are the LCD Controller and the two inverter boards. Any suggestions? Ohh...and no sound either.
post #5899 of 6165 Old 11-23-2010, 10:08 PM

I've found some firmware updates but the TV seems unable to recognize them (i.e. it just hangs out in amber mode till I eventually give up and remove the thumb drive).

I've tried a few different formats, leaving the files zip'd, and extracting them.

Any suggestions?
post #5900 of 6165 Old 11-24-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader zog View Post

I've found some firmware updates but the TV seems unable to recognize them (i.e. it just hangs out in amber mode till I eventually give up and remove the thumb drive).

I've tried a few different formats, leaving the files zip'd, and extracting them.

Any suggestions?

Are you sure you're using the right thumbdrive type? Those tvs are REALLY finicky about what it accepts so it can go through. I used a sandisk 512mb... also make sure it's formatted fat16.

As for me, I still can't get the stupid image retention / burn in off my tv. ugh.
post #5901 of 6165 Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 AM

I get an amber light then hit the power button and get my blue light. That is all I get. No video or audio. No menus nothing. I hear something squeal when I plug it in. I also see an amber light on the processor board. Can someone help with this?
post #5902 of 6165 Old 12-11-2010, 02:02 AM

So I purchased my Westy TX-47F430S in April of 2008, refurbished. Firmware 5112_1.6.3 Mar 5 2008. Worked great, no problems for 2.5 years. Flawless performance with my blu-ray player through HDMI and computer through the PC VGA input.

Everything's great....until last week when I connected my wife's computer to the TV through her graphics card's HDMI-out. As I did with my computer, I made sure to set her computer's graphics card to broadcast in the TV's resolution. The TV began to flicker wildly with the sound cutting in and out. For the moments the picture was on screen, the signal would split into magenta and green. The television now does the same thing with my computer connection through the PC-input jack!

It worked flawless for 2.5 years until I plugged in the one HDMI from her computer. It still works 100% with blu-ray player. Tried all available HDMI ports. Suggestions to make it work again on a signal from a PC? To reiterate, it flickers on HDMI from a PC and also the dedicated PC VGA-input. Same results using two separate computers.
post #5903 of 6165 Old 01-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Ok, my turn.
Purchased two Westys in 2008, 42" & 47", TX-42F430S& TX-47F430S.
(Posting from work, so not sure what hardware / firmware - can get that later)

Both worked great until Nov 2010, the 47" develops the "amber - no blue LED" symptom. 42" still working great.

It powers on, amber led, WHITE "W" boot logo on screen for a few seconds, then screen goes out, and amber LED stays on. I try multiple 10 second reboots, unplugged for days, etc...nothing.

I have a 5 year PP, so I get a tech out, and he diagnoses a dead panel/inverter.
Tells me 2 days later he can't get the part, so it cant be fixed.
Warranty people have me buy a new TV and send me a check for the original purchase price.

I ask them what to do with the old one, and they say keept it, trash it, do anything I want. So then I decide to try and fix it since I doubted the panel or inverter were bad, and it couldn't hurt to try.

After a few days of searching, I found ekztal awesome post here with the v1.4.0 edited firmware.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post17685537

I try it last night.
sandisk 4gb cruzer, format to Fat32, drop the zip file AND the un-zipped files as well on the root directory and flash in the following manner:

1. With the power cord removed from the back of your Westinghouse TV, insert the USB thumb drive into the service port.

2. Plug the power cord into both the back of the TV and the wall outlet.

3. The Power LED indicator starts out amber; after 20-30 seconds, it turned purple-ish with slight flickering; I check back five minutes later and it is solid blue.

6. Once the Power LED turns blue, I unplug the set, remove the flash drive, and plug it back in and turn it on.

BAAM! The TV comes on with the new boot logo and fires up with a picture from the TV tuner (connected to cable) a few seconds later.

All is great, EXCEPT I HAVE NO SOUND. I check and double check all the audio settings, check multiple inputs and sources, and still no sound.

I tried to re-flash it was stuck on yellow again. I'll try more re-flashes after work.

My main question is, does anyone know what happened to the sound, and can I get it back? Anyone else have this issue?

Second issue is tracking down all the firmware is a pain, so I uploaded all the ones I could find, and have linked them below. Please search the thread with the file names to see if you should use them.

Link to 42 LPL LX v1.2.0.rar

Link to TX-42F430S - v1.4.0 - editted.zip

Link to SusanII_v1.3.0_20071026.rar

Link to SusanII_v1.6.3.rar

link to 01_OSD_FW_V1.4.2.rar firmware.

Hopefully this post makes it easier for anyone else to find info on the TVs and tracking down firmware.

If I can get set up and running again, I'll be so happy that i need to buy someone a beer or make a donation here

Even if I cant get the sound back I'll be happy

Please post any info that may help me and thanks in advance.

EDIT: I added the new firmware I found, and I STILL HAVE NO SOUND. Any Ideas?
post #5904 of 6165 Old 01-16-2011, 09:16 AM

Ekztal's 1.4.0 just unbricked my 42F430S. As others have mentioned, the TV was finicky about reading thumb drives.

I tried the SusanII_v1.3.0 file and the Ekztal's 1.4.0 using three different drives before having success with Ekztal's 1.4.0 on a Lexar 4GB drive.

However, the lighting pattern others reported never happened. The light on the front remained amber -- never blinked or turned purple -- before turning blue.

I actually thought it had, yet again, not worked.

After I plugged in the winning combination of Ekztal's 1.4.0 / Lexar 4GB, the drive's light lit for just a moment, then turned off, lit again for a second, then turned off. I suspected that meant that, for whatever reason, no data was being transferred. I left it going while returning to my computer to look for other options. When I returned 20 minutes later, the blue light was on. I then unplugged the TV. The blue light turned amber, then went out. I unplugged the drive from the service port, then turned it on.

My 42F430S has had a few problems over the last few years. Each time, I unplugged it for a minute, then it turned back on.

Last night, it just shut off without warning. Nothing worked to revive it until the steps described here.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to post solutions. You all saved me the more than $1,000 I would have spent getting a new TV.
post #5905 of 6165 Old 01-18-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdgbaird View Post

Ekztal's 1.4.0 just unbricked my 42F430S. As others have mentioned, the TV was finicky about reading thumb drives.

I tried the SusanII_v1.3.0 file and the Ekztal's 1.4.0 using three different drives before having success with Ekztal's 1.4.0 on a Lexar 4GB drive.

However, the lighting pattern others reported never happened. The light on the front remained amber -- never blinked or turned purple -- before turning blue.

I actually thought it had, yet again, not worked.

After I plugged in the winning combination of Ekztal's 1.4.0 / Lexar 4GB, the drive's light lit for just a moment, then turned off, lit again for a second, then turned off. I suspected that meant that, for whatever reason, no data was being transferred. I left it going while returning to my computer to look for other options. When I returned 20 minutes later, the blue light was on. I then unplugged the TV. The blue light turned amber, then went out. I unplugged the drive from the service port, then turned it on.

My 42F430S has had a few problems over the last few years. Each time, I unplugged it for a minute, then it turned back on.

Last night, it just shut off without warning. Nothing worked to revive it until the steps described here.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to post solutions. You all saved me the more than $1,000 I would have spent getting a new TV.

That is good to hear........2011 and the thread is still helping people, so let me give back some more. I found the old WD V-chip firmware site link.

http://legacywd.com/firmware.aspx

I put in my serial number and got back this info:

Model # TX-47F430S
Part # TW-51211-C047A

I was then able to download this 01_OSD_FW_V1.4.2.rar firmware.

I now make it available to everyone else, and added it to my earlier post so that all the firmware I have been able to find is in one post.

The only firmware that will successfully flash for me are these two:
TX-42F430S - v1.4.0 - editted.zip
01_OSD_FW_V1.4.2.rar

Both work fine, but I get no sound from my internal speakers, only external.
At this point, I am thinking maybe a power surge fried my internal sound amp, and scrambled my firmware, and flashing can only fix the software part of course.

Any ideas?
post #5906 of 6165 Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 PM

I've got TW51212-C047A. I finally got 1.3 to take, but couldn't get the edited version of 1.4 to take. Will this official one work for my set even those our Part # are off? It's the same model
post #5907 of 6165 Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 AM

@Dposcorp
At the risk of stating something obvious, there are parameters in the Audio settings menu that could cause the symptoms you report. Good Luck!

(I have two of these displays. One occasionally loses video which I used to restore by leaving the display AC cord unplugged overnight, but I now fix by pressing the power button for 15 seconds [I can't recall whether I'm turning the display on or off, but it doesn't hurt to try the other if the first attempt doesn't work]. The second display has never done this. The second display has a Mac Mini connected to it, and it will occasionally lose the Red component or display snow after an input switch. I resolve by either changing display settings on the computer (and then back) or by unplugging the HDMI cable. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the displays!)
post #5908 of 6165 Old 01-19-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Chambers View Post

I've got TW51212-C047A. I finally got 1.3 to take, but couldn't get the edited version of 1.4 to take. Will this official one work for my set even those our Part # are off? It's the same model

I don't know to be honest. My set was bricked; totally dead, so I had nothing to lose.
Is your set alive or bricked?

The edited 1.4 worked for me on the first try, and worked for a lot of other people, so it may be your flash drive.

Make sure you have a flash drive that will work. I have a 1GB Kingston and a 4GB sandisk. Both are USB 2.0 and were formatted FAT32 (full format, not quick). Both worked for me.

I have a 128MB USB 1.0 flash drive that did not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nnc View Post

@Dposcorp
At the risk of stating something obvious, there are parameters in the Audio settings menu that could cause the symptoms you report. Good Luck!

(I have two of these displays. One occasionally loses video which I used to restore by leaving the display AC cord unplugged overnight, but I now fix by pressing the power button for 15 seconds [I can't recall whether I'm turning the display on or off, but it doesn't hurt to try the other if the first attempt doesn't work]. The second display has never done this. The second display has a Mac Mini connected to it, and it will occasionally lose the Red component or display snow after an input switch. I resolve by either changing display settings on the computer (and then back) or by unplugging the HDMI cable. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the displays!)

Thanks for the advice; it is obvious, but doesn't hurt to be sure.
I have a TX-42F430S and TX-47F430S, and have had both for 2 1/2 years, so I know the menus very well.

I triple and quadruple checked the audio menu, and tried the two firmwares that worked for me, and still no audio. The menus are not that complicated, and audio can either be internal, external, or mixed. I also tried multiple sources and get no sound at all, not even a static or clicking when I connect something. Also, when I connect external speakers, the sound is fixed, and the volume control has no effect. This leads me to believe the amp in the tv is fried. Anyone ever fix a amp problem in one of these sets?
post #5909 of 6165 Old 01-19-2011, 06:32 AM

The 1.3 firmware took using the same flash drive.. It's alive, but having HDMI handshake issues on my panasonic blu ray. I was on 1.2 when I bought. The HDMI works perfectly on everything else. I was thinking 1.4 was only for the 42. I noticed that the file names are a bit different on the official 1.3 than they were on the 1.4 edited and non edited.
post #5910 of 6165 Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Chambers View Post

The 1.3 firmware took using the same flash drive.. It's alive, but having HDMI handshake issues on my panasonic blu ray. I was on 1.2 when I bought. The HDMI works perfectly on everything else. I was thinking 1.4 was only for the 42. I noticed that the file names are a bit different on the official 1.3 than they were on the 1.4 edited and non edited.

If everything else works great with HDMI, you may want to leave it alone, but that is your call. As far as the firmware names, they are all as I found them throughtout this 200 page thread, except for the one I downloaded from WD myself, 01_OSD_FW_V1.4.2.rar. This is exactly how it downloads.

You can go to http://legacywd.com/firmware.aspx and enter your serial number and see if you have the same link and firmware name.

If you get a different firmware, that I haven't linked above, please share it with us.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
470uf cap , Westinghouse Tx 42f430s 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , westinghouse tx-47f430s
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page