Official Westinghouse TX Series ( TX-42F430S, TX-47F430S ) Owner's Thread - Page 206 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6151 of 6165 Old 03-19-2014, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thank you for your response. I have went all through both boards and there was no bulging caps anywhere. I only replaced the one I did because it was mentioned in other threads as being a common problem. I am at a loss at this point. Without testing each cap individually, which I don't have the means to do, there is nothing visually wrong that I can see.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 6165 Old 03-19-2014, 06:52 PM

Liked: 18
show us a picture of your soldering job on that cap!
post #6153 of 6165 Old 03-22-2014, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikicult View Post

I have Fios for my TV provider, and I only subscribe to basic cable, so I only get a few local channels. (We watch 90% of our content on our Roku, and getting local channels+internet was cheaper than just getting internet). I only really use cable to watch local news. My menu setting was set to Auto Cable. I just changed it to Cable and it is currently rescanning and finding channels. That is an improvement from before where it would just hang after 1 channel. I'll see where this goes and update this post. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Everything is working fine now. Just had to change the menu setting and do the re-scan. Thanks!

Happy to hear/read you had success! Thanks for the challenge!!! biggrin.gif
post #6154 of 6165 Old 04-10-2014, 01:20 PM

So after reading several several pages of this forum, I'd like to replace the 470uf 16v cap but I have one problem: I cannot figure out how to get to the board! It seems like it's screwed and riveted in this rectangular cube that has no entry. Does anyone know of a teardown or breakdown video of this TV model? I've spent over an hour and I seriously can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance!

-- EDIT --

I finally figured it out. The screws on the sides near the inputs need to come out, as well as the nut around the antenna and then it slides out the left side with the faceplate.
post #6155 of 6165 Old 04-11-2014, 03:01 PM

*Update*

I couldn't find a 470uF 105°C cap locally. Radioshack only had 85°C caps, and no electrical supply store had 16V caps. The only recommendation was to find a local TV repair shop, which I found none.

I ended up getting two 470uF caps on Digi-Key and a Weller SP25NKUS soldering kit, and shipping was only $3.94 so the total came to only $27.75 - pretty good deal if this fixes my problem.

And I wanted to give kudos to Digi-Key because they shipped my order in less than 2 hours. Wow!

I haven't soldered since technology class in 9th grade. I'll keep adding updates whether I pass or fail on this journey...
post #6156 of 6165 Old 04-11-2014, 05:02 PM

Some people have had success by just gently cutting off the cap on the top side rather than unsoldering that does more damage than soldering since it pulls at the internal through-hole layers. I'd try to slip a razor blade underneath being careful not to cut into the traces on the top of the board. Then you can either un-solder the remain leads or just solder the cap leads to the remaining bumps to give it a test. Good luck. Dave
post #6157 of 6165 Old 05-16-2014, 09:44 PM

Liked: 13
Thank you so much all. After a power failure, the tv never came back. Always stays at the orange light/ standby mode. I was going to throw it in the garbage, and decided to look for a fix. Found nothing the first time. I bought a new tv and put that one aside for 1 year. I decided to give a second look before throwing it in garbage. I FOUND YOU GUYS, and this little 470uf was the problem. I wasnt able to unsolder it. I just pulled it and solder a new one over the old legs. Took me 1min. Plug and play! Thx
Woobieizer, RonAlam and orgwood like this.
post #6158 of 6165 Old 05-17-2014, 08:01 AM

You're most welcome! So you just pulled on the cap and the legs stayed in the PC Board? Then you soldered the new cap to what was left on top? How long did you leave the new caps leads? Wish you had a picture but I think there is one earlier where someone did something similar. Mine is still working great! Dave
post #6159 of 6165 Old 05-28-2014, 06:46 PM

I subscribed to this thread about 9 years ago. I knew it would come in handy someday.
My TV recently bricked and this was the first place I came.
I promptly unbricked my TX-47F430S with the modded firmware.

Pros:
TV is still kicking!

Cons:
Can't convince my wife we 'need' to upgrade if this one's still working.
post #6160 of 6165 Old 05-29-2014, 03:54 PM

Since this thread is so long can you point us to the modded firmware you used?

I've got another question about these sets - do they have a place to view the input signal strength in the menu?

Thanks, Dave
post #6161 of 6165 Old 05-31-2014, 05:39 AM

post #6162 of 6165 Old 06-01-2014, 02:04 PM

Liked: 11

Hey All,

I've been following this thread for about a week (the same amount of time my tv has been down)

I have a Model# TX-42F430S

Part# TW-51123-C042A

SN# 5112J80102644

Factory ID: AK (Alaska?)

Some thoughts/things i've faced thus far. I attempted first, the software flash. I downloaded it, and realized i didn't have the proper compression software, so i downloaded 7Zip. It took me a while to realize that .tar.gz and .tgz are the same thing, and one describes the other. I first archived my boot folder with the changed 1's to 0's (i only had to change ONE of the .sh files, the other 3 were good), and once i Archived it in 7Zip, then i compressed it, and it saved it as a tar.gz, which i was expecting it to save as a .tgz. I attempted the flash w/the UPDATE_WDE.tar.gz (changed file extension so it read UPDATE_WDE.tgz) and attempted. No dice, so i went back and recompressed it to read UPDATE_WDE.tar.gz and tried again, no dice.

I then noticed after reading further that i only had 2/3 green LEDs on in the back and took pictures, and read more about the bad news capacitors. I haven't replaced anything, but am thinking about redoing the 470 micro farad one everyone raves about.

Below are the pics, if you have any better ideas, please let me know :)

post #6163 of 6165 Old 06-02-2014, 06:16 PM

I'd replace that cap - the 470uF one above the 150 M64 choke by that PLCC IC in the last pics. I discovered this inferior component using a hair dryer to heat it up enough so that pressing the on button for around 10 seconds made it work. I'm not certain that your flashing attempts might have messed up the firmware but if you never got the purple/blue light, most likely the flashing never had the power to get to mess up the firmware. I'd do the hair dryer first to see, then if not I'd replace the cap anyway. DaveC
post #6164 of 6165 Old 06-15-2014, 07:27 PM

Liked: 11
Talking Good to go

I really appreciate your help!

I replaced the 470 micro farad capacitor as others have previously said to do. I only had two green LEDs, and after desoldering the old cap, and resoldering the new one, i still only had 2 green LEDs, so the third never did light up for me. After replacing the cap, i plugged it in, and the tv fired right up! I really appreciate ya'lls help!

Also, if anyone wants a 470uF cap (same one as OEM, 105*C spec), i have 8 extras and would be willing to ship them for the cost of shipping...I'm located in Topeka, KS.

Thanks again for the help! If it goes out again I will definitely be back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 5.JPG (596.0 KB, 8 views)
Woobieizer likes this.

Last edited by NelsAV; 06-15-2014 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added pic
post #6165 of 6165 Old 06-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
470uf cap , Westinghouse Tx 42f430s 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , westinghouse tx-47f430s
Gear in this thread