Official Westinghouse TX Series ( TX-42F430S, TX-47F430S ) Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 6183 Old 06-13-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawgee View Post

I think Vizio is referring to their VGA input having a max resolution of 1360x768. I think using a DVI-to-HDMI cable would get you 1080p.

EDIT: Here's a link on the topic --> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10722832

Then 47" is the first Vizio that does that then. I know on my 37" I get 640 x 480 on the HDMI input, and I know others reported the same on the 42. The 47" is a newer unit, so I guess they finally changed that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6183 Old 06-13-2007, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I didn't even know what "mura" was before I saw someone mentioned it in this thread. I picked up my unit 6/11/2007 and I noticed that my screen is very cloudy looking when displaying a pure black image. I'm wondering if most/all of the sets have this problem...can someone else check their sets for this? It's apparently more visible when the backlight is on a higher setting. I think mine was on 50 when I noticed the problem...I'll play with the settings and do some experimenting later today when I'm home, but I'm curious if other people have this problem.

There's a thread here that apparently discusses this problem and has a good picture of what it looks like. My TX-47 looks similiar to the top monitor in this picture:
hmm...won't let me post a URL until I have 5 posts. Anyways, it's thread number 8866702 and post 8866702
post #633 of 6183 Old 06-13-2007, 02:01 PM

It's FINALLY here! I went in and exchanged my 42w2 this morning and I brought back my new TX-47f430s. The best thing about it, is after the 12% coupon, they actually paid me $29 to take the 47" off their hands.

I'm typing this on my laptop while connected to VGA on the TX-47, and this sucker looks BEAUTIFUL. There may be some SLIGHT mura (not as annoying as the banding on my 42w2, and there are 3 VERY SMALL stuck green pixels when viewing the screen on a black background. Any other color on the screen this thing is nearly perfect.

Now I'm off to play some PS3. YAY!
post #634 of 6183 Old 06-13-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by subflava View Post

I didn't even know what "mura" was before I saw someone mentioned it in this thread. I picked up my unit 6/11/2007 and I noticed that my screen is very cloudy looking when displaying a pure black image. I'm wondering if most/all of the sets have this problem...can someone else check their sets for this? It's apparently more visible when the backlight is on a higher setting. I think mine was on 50 when I noticed the problem...I'll play with the settings and do some experimenting later today when I'm home, but I'm curious if other people have this problem.

There's a thread here that apparently discusses this problem and has a good picture of what it looks like. My TX-47 looks similiar to the top monitor in this picture:
hmm...won't let me post a URL until I have 5 posts. Anyways, it's thread number 8866702 and post 8866702

Is the screen uniformly "hazy" looking or are there actual variations where areas appear lighter than others? Beware getting into this because the more you know the less you'll ever be satisfied with any LCD based tv. It's hugely blown out of proportion all over the internet. I'd like to hope you're just describing a light black level here, in which case that takes getting used to if you're coming from a good plasma or a CRT set.
post #635 of 6183 Old 06-13-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irshliquor View Post

It's FINALLY here! I went in and exchanged my 42w2 this morning and I brought back my new TX-47f430s. The best thing about it, is after the 12% coupon, they actually paid me $29 to take the 47" off their hands.

I'm typing this on my laptop while connected to VGA on the TX-47, and this sucker looks BEAUTIFUL. There may be some SLIGHT mura (not as annoying as the banding on my 42w2, and there are 3 VERY SMALL stuck green pixels when viewing the screen on a black background. Any other color on the screen this thing is nearly perfect.

Tonight, I went through the final step of replacing my 42w2 for the TX-47f430s. After all was said and done, I ended up paying them about $160 and several hours of my life wasted by Best Buy customer service that I'll never get back.

I'm glad to hear that the few issues you have with the TX-47f430s don't outweigh the old problems with the 42w2. The banding and the lack of a working HDMI port were what put me over the edge. I'm greatly looking forward to my 4 (!) HDMI ports, and the extra 5 inches is awesome too,

My set should be here Friday. I work that night, but I'll be sure to post the condition of it at some point.
post #636 of 6183 Old 06-13-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post

Has anyone found the 42" model in the NYC area. All of my local best buys do not have stock yet, nor does J and R have stock.

Thanks

I'm in the same boat. In NYC and unable find the 42". Let me know if you have any luck.
post #637 of 6183 Old 06-13-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7las View Post

Tonight, I went through the final step of replacing my 42w2 for the TX-47f430s. After all was said and done, I ended up paying them about $160 and several hours of my life wasted by Best Buy customer service that I'll never get back.

Guys, did any of you were able to transfer the extended warranty from the 42w2 over to the new TX47?
post #638 of 6183 Old 06-13-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytong View Post

Guys, did any of you were able to transfer the extended warranty from the 42w2 over to the new TX47?

Since my 42w2 was less than 12 months old, my PSP transfers from my old TV to the new TV. BB replaced the TV under the manufacturer's warranty. If the TV were replaced after the manufacturer's warranty, then the PSP would take effect, and then be considered fulfilled, so then you'd have to purchase a new PSP. That's how it should work.
post #639 of 6183 Old 06-13-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:

Well the mura is a bit worse than I thought, but i guess that mura is no worse than banding, so I'm happy with the exchange. Has anyone run across some good settings for this?
post #640 of 6183 Old 06-13-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7las View Post

I'm glad to hear that the few issues you have with the TX-47f430s don't outweigh the old problems with the 42w2. The banding and the lack of a working HDMI port were what put me over the edge. I'm greatly looking forward to my 4 (!) HDMI ports, and the extra 5 inches is awesome too,

My set should be here Friday. I work that night, but I'll be sure to post the condition of it at some point.

The extra 5 inches is more than I had anticipated. I was a bit surprised and am very happy with the larger TV. My (soon to be) wife even commented on how much bigger it is. The bezel appearance - black with dark titanium finish underneath is very cool. She actually misses the white Westy logo power indicator from the 42w2 though.
post #641 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The extra 5 inches is more than I had anticipated. I was a bit surprised and am very happy with the larger TV. My (soon to be) wife even commented on how much bigger it is. The bezel appearance - black with dark titanium finish underneath is very cool. She actually misses the white Westy logo power indicator from the 42w2 though.

You ARE talking about a TV here, right? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
post #642 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Drumroll...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #643 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 07:43 AM

I managed to get my tripod out and shot some images in sequence, starting with a backlight of 0 and working up to 100. Almost everything else was set to 50, with sharpness at the default 25. All the images were compiled and put into an animated GIF file. You will definitely be able to discern the mura pattern once the backlight hit 40. I scaled the size down from the native resolution to make it less unweidly.

[*WARNING: This image is almost 800K. *]

Westinghouse TX-47F430S Mura Animation

I also have all the individual images in Canon RAW format should anyone wish to see an uncompressed version of a specific level.
post #644 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytong View Post

When I picked up my TX47, Best Buy would not transfer the warranty from my old 42w2. irshliquor posted that if your old set is still under manufacturer warranty, the PSP should transfer to the new set. I went back to Best Buy with this information and they would not do a direct transfer because I paid less for my 42w2 warranty than the going rate for the TXX47 warranty. They did refund the 42w2 warranty after prorating it so I ended up getting 75% of the old one back. They also gave me money back on the set (after more complaining) since the base price has dropped to the MSRP since I bought it. Still, I went in expecting to get all the new warranty money back and only ended up with 75% of my original warranty back. The store I went to seems to error in their favor at every opportunity but it was the closest store that actually had a TX47 in stock so I could return the 42w2 and not have to wait for a TX47 order... I feel like I should write a letter. Has anyone complained to Best Buy coorporate about poor customer service?

In summary, it sounds like they will transfer your old performance service plan if you paid as much the new PSP price and your old set is still under manufacturer warranty. I ended up buying a new PSP since they wouldn't do the transfer. At least I'll get another year out of the warranty since it's new...
post #645 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Well I picked up my replacement TX-47 on Tues and am happy to say the void in the entertainment center is once again filled with beautiful images from the Westy! I am blown away with how smooth the replacement process went - I had the set back to BB within hours of it going down and they had my replacement in the store in 4 days.

I gotta say even though I have always loathed BB, I am very glad I purchased this set from them... I'd be crying if I had to mail this thing in to an online store.

A couple of notes about my new unit:

1) Exact same build date - Apr 13. Does anyone have a different date?

2) 6 dead pixels! My last unit had none However, you need to stick your face right up to the screen to notice, so I really don't care.

3) Banding is LESS noticeable! I mentioned before that I can see banding during one particular screen while playing Ridge Racer on the PS3. Well, it is still there but it is much less noticeable. I have never seen it during normal TV viewing, and even on the one screen where I can see it you have to look really close so I am not concerned about it.

Given my experiences with 2 different TX-47s, and looking at the animation that PanzerBoxb just posted, it is obvious that not all of these sets are created equal.

PanzerBoxb - Thanks for that excellent animation - now I truly understand what mura/clouding is. WOW - your set has it bad! Neither of the 2 that I have played with have anything close to that! I can see it a little on the bottom left of the screen but only if the backlight is turned way up.

I am posting some pictures including a shot where you can see the banding that I am talking about.

huggybear
post #646 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

post #647 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

post #648 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the results screen on Ridge Racer where banding can clearly be seen. The first picture is from a normal viewing distance - you can see the banding right in the center of the screen. The second shot is a close up.

post #649 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 08:27 AM

Wow, huggybear, that looks fabulous. I wish my local providers would do a better job with HD content.

Regarding the mura/clouding on my set. It came out of the box set at 100 for the backlight. After reading here and doing some personal tweaking/testing, I have it normally set to 30. Last night I watched Letters from Iwo Jima on the TV output from my HD-A20 and it was stunning. At the current backlight level I have to pointedly look for any sign of the mura while there is any type of picture being displayed. Only if I terminate all input and bump the backlight back to higher levels does is being to bother me. Right now I am torn between taking the unit back and hoping for a better replacement or just living with the fact. Tonight I will go over the display in paintstaking detail looking for pixel issues. If I find quite a few then it will go back.

So far I have not noticed any banding on my unit from any input source.
post #650 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBoxb View Post

Wow, huggybear, that looks fabulous. I wish my local providers would do a better job with HD content.

Regarding the mura/clouding on my set. It came out of the box set at 100 for the backlight. After reading here and doing some personal tweaking/testing, I have it normally set to 30.

Yes, the backlight is evil! At 100 I see some mura on the bottom left myself... as soon as I turn it down to around 30, the mura is gone and the dead pixels on my set are barely noticeable even with your face up against the tv.
post #651 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone made any headway with Westinghouse support on their issues and firmware updates? Since I still do not have my TV (one more week to go!) my eyes have started to wander. I came across a 42" philips that is a few bucks more than I paid for my 42" TX but the thread on AVS was an interesting read because they are actively releasing firmware updates to customers through their website and flashing it much the same way that users SHOULD be able to do on the TX series. But, if Westinghouse isn't going to release these firmwares to end users than I am seriously considering going elsewhere.

As far as I am concerned the lack of 5.1 output on the QAM tuner needs to be fixed with a firmware update. If a firmware update cannot fix this issue then I'm inclined to get the Philips instead because I know it works the way it should.
post #652 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBoxb View Post

I managed to get my tripod out and shot some images in sequence, starting with a backlight of 0 and working up to 100. Almost everything else was set to 50, with sharpness at the default 25. All the images were compiled and put into an animated GIF file. You will definitely be able to discern the mura pattern once the backlight hit 40. I scaled the size down from the native resolution to make it less unweidly.

[*WARNING: This image is almost 800K. *]

Westinghouse TX-47F430S Mura Animation

I also have all the individual images in Canon RAW format should anyone wish to see an uncompressed version of a specific level.

That's brilliant. Pictures explain so much better than words do. Yours is quite severe unfortunately. If you're a fan of minimum backlight like I am you'll be fine apparently.
post #653 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggybear View Post

Here is the results screen on Ridge Racer where banding can clearly be seen. The first picture is from a normal viewing distance - you can see the banding right in the center of the screen. The second shot is a close up.

You actually have banding the way the term was originally used: color banding. It's when the number of greyscale steps is limited and the result is there aren't enough colors available to render a gradually shifting gradient like the blue you have shown. Color banding is caused mosting by a lack of available colors. It is masked on cheap LCDs by dithering to some extent, but any good 8-bit panel will show very little of it. Not pronounced like that. I don't think it's the tv at fault in your case, or you'd see things like like that in other viewing too. Like images on tv which show a blue sky. If those appear smooth (and they should) then it's either the PS3 or that specific game.
post #654 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 09:30 AM

Does anyone have any issues with the remote not working unless it is *below* the Westy logo? Sometimes it works, but for the most part, it's most reliable when it's pointed up at the TV. I can't seem to find the actual IR receiver. If you can find it, can you explain to me where it is - or maybe take a picture and circle it?

It seems like the consensus was that the remote/IR response is better than the 42w2, but mine's almost worse at times. especially if i'm not perfectly centered on the tv - even if i'm slightly off center it stops working completely unless the remote is like 1' off the floor.
post #655 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 09:40 AM

I have noticed that you have to be pretty close to center on my TV for the remote to work. Later today I will try to do some experiements.
post #656 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Very much anticipating picking up the TV tomorrow night. I will test out and try to take pics of...

PC via dvi/hdmi adapter and VGA
Xbox360 via component and vga
HD-DVD drive through xbox360 (VGA) and PC (DVI/HDMI)
Blu-ray via PS3 HDMI
Wii via component
PS3 via HDMI
SDTV and HDTV via motorola cable box HDMI
HDTV via tuner and antenna

Anything else that anyone can think of to be tested? I'm curious to see how the Wii performs, considering many of you have said that sdtv looks unusually good on this tv.
post #657 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenaran View Post

Wow, you must have -NO- windows in your room. I have a ton of windows in my room, and I've slowly worked my way down to 50 during the day, but I don't think there's any way I can go any lower. (At night 30 seems good)

Well, most of my viewing *is* at night. There is a small window (where many years ago there was a wall-unit AC) behind, above, and to the right of the set, but I have a stained-glass insert in there. There are two larger ones in the room, one a couple feet to the left and another at a 90-degree angle to that - but the second is at the front of the house, under a porch roof. The afternoon sun is all in the back of the house, the morning sun would be more behind the TV than anything. Windows have cellular shades on them. So in short, it's not the brightest room in the world, but it's not bad with the shades open. At night I do like the lights off if I really sit down to watch something.

Ed
post #658 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur_255 View Post

That's brilliant. Pictures explain so much better than words do. Yours is quite severe unfortunately. If you're a fan of minimum backlight like I am you'll be fine apparently.

I think that's about what my first set looked like. My second set (picked up last night) seems better, but haven't cranked up the backlight to look for it. I would say at this point that it's less than uniform, but I haven't noticed it during normal viewing - but then, I don't keep the backlight higher than 30 so far.

It really shouldn't be there, but I don't know if it's worth another exchange. New set has a bunch of stuck sub-pixels like the old one, but really small and not noticable unless you're dead center on them at less than a foot away.

Other than that, the set is stunning. I noticed that colors on component/composite seemed way off out of the box, whereas HDMI seems close. I'm generally using some settings posted earlier in this thread, something like 40-62-40-45? 0 sharpness (seems to have no effect, really), OP specified 30 backlight. Those are pretty good until I can calibrate.

Ed
post #659 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 10:55 AM

The 47 is finally up on BestBuy.com

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link, so go there and search for TX-47F430S.
post #660 of 6183 Old 06-14-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post

The 47 is finally up on BestBuy.com

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link, so go there and search for TX-47F430S.

Hehe...already posted.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
470uf cap , Westinghouse Tx 42f430s 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , westinghouse tx-47f430s
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page