Official Westinghouse TX Series ( TX-42F430S, TX-47F430S ) Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes the blue light can be turned off. It's in the settings menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynStatic View Post

Hey all,

So I got around to testing some more things on the TV.

DVI-HDMI 20 foot Cable Input:
Works great. Better then VGA. 1080P Looks amazing. Tested 1 to 1 mapping @1080P using patterns from tft.vanity.dk and looked perfect.

Output of 720P from computer is scaled up. Options in prefs to turn Overscan off displays it in the middle of the monitor at what looks like 1 to 1. I didn't look at a pattern tho.

VGA Cable input:
For whatever reason, the Belkin cable I used reported the wrong timing info to the MacBook. The Cheap Dell VGA Cable that came with my 2005fpw worked better in this regard. I was able to get it to work, but the video was shifted to the left and I couldn't adjust it correctly. However the ghosting issues and jitters were vastly improved.

VGA input using official xbox 360 cable:
I think it looked better then component. The xbox dashboard looks better/crisp. I didn't notice any blur or ghosting in 4 hours of crackdown.

Wii with component @480P:
Paper Mario was the only game I tested. Looked good. Everything looked a tad fuzzy from being enlarged. Couldn't get it to not enlarge...

Dynamic Contrast:
I looked at a black to white gradient and noticed more levels of gray with it turned on. It did make everything look a tad darker when on. Pure black looked no different too me.

I did however notice a small band of grays that looked bluish and yellow. I'll post the picture in a bit. I think I'm still restricted from posting urls and images until I hit 5 posts.

I don't have anything with HDMI to test 5.1 audio pass through. And my amp is on the other side of the room. My plan is to wall mount it above the amp so I'm living with the internal speakers.

There is an option to choose your speaker set up. It's Internal / external / Both. Both is the default. Maybe this will help?

Overall I have nothing to complain about.

EDIT: Banding picture:

Without knowing where the scale begins and ends in that image I cannot say for certain but it appears the blacks are being crushed. I suspect disabling the dyamic contrast will pull your grey ramp more evenly to the left. The ramp should rise from black smoothly and evenly. The coloration you note is hard to diagnose without more information, however variations in greyscale tracking can make certain colors of grey apear blue and others neutral grey or even reddish. This is why I need to see a professional review that analyzes this.
post #63 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 11:57 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur_255 View Post

Without knowing where the scale begins and ends in that image I cannot say for certain but it appears the blacks are being crushed. I suspect disabling the dyamic contrast will pull your grey ramp more evenly to the left. The ramp should rise from black smoothly and evenly. The coloration you note is hard to diagnose without more information, however variations in greyscale tracking can make certain colors of grey apear blue and others neutral grey or even reddish. This is why I need to see a professional review that analyzes this.

I didn't spend any time adjusting anything. I couldn't even tell you what display setting that was on. I downloaded the monitor test swf from tft.vanity.dk and displayed it full screen using the standalone flash player on my Macbook pro. I'm not sure what the scale ramp is. The lack of ramping in the left could very well be my fault. I took that picture with a 5mp point and shoot. Sony DSC-T7. It's not good with dark stuff like that. I too want to see a professional review.
post #64 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 12:23 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplext View Post

and running my PC through it DVI to HDMI if i don't use the VGA.

Hello perplext,

What video card do you plan on running to the TX?

I have multiple video cards(laptop e1704/9400 @ Nvidia GO 7800) that work with the LVM-47w1 via DVI-DVI & DVI-HDMI

I will also report using BFG OC 7800 GTX cards via DVI-HDMI & SLI configuration as well(at some point this week(end)).

~b3nz0n8

WESTY: TX-47F430s & LVM-47w1 & DELL m2010 Remote
PICS:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #65 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradg View Post

Benzonate, let us know if you end up getting the DVI to HDMI PC input to work. I was hoping to connect a computer digitally to this TV in the future.

I am on it..

Also, I am uncertain as whether to go with another LVM-47w1 or take the 47w1 back and pick up another TX-47F430s.

LVM-47w1: FIRMWARE 1.05

GOOD:
~GREAT HD PICTURE (via COX Explorer 3250HD cable box & dvr)
~GREAT RESPONSE TIME
~PC CONNECTION VIA DVI-DVI & DVI-HDMI = SUPURB PICTURE (VGA DOES NOT COMPARE ON THE TX or LVM SERIES)
~BEAUTIFUL PC MONITOR
~BEAUTIFUL HD PICTURE(no motion blur and CRYSTAL CLEAR with good color, TX has better color depth & blacks)
~ZERO DEFECTS (PIXELS/FLASHLIGHTING/BACKLIGHT BLEED/ETC...IT'S BEAUTIFUL)

BAD:
~VGA = Slight red shift in text & everything else = SMUDGED look & feel. (VGA does not deliver the brilliance of DVI and its sharpness)

~LVM series does not deliver all the perks of the TX menu, Calibration(except a small amount available in the LVM service menu), LVM Blacks don't match those of the TX(the TX delivers better blacks)

SIDE NOTE:

~TX delivers a much better COLOR DEPTH & an EXTREME ANGLE CLARITY. The LVM does not match this and has a RED WASHOUT(but it is not a major issue).
If you are looking for a wider viewing angle = TX Delivers.

OPINION on the LVM-47w1 :
CURRENTLY(PRE-TX TESTING), The thought of HAVING 2 LVM-47w1, AT THIS POINT WITH ALL OF THE "GOOD", WOULD BE SATISFYING. THAT IS, IF, I CAN OBTAIN ONE PRIOR TO INVENTORY DEPLETION @ BB.
Further research/tweaking will tell.

The picture clarity, lack of motion blur, PC connectivity via DVI is simply amazing.

UPDATE:

TX: motion blur was mostly caused by the Explorer 3250HD & DVR via the " ZOOM " feature. When set to " NORMAL "...THE PICTURE IS SUBSTANTIALLY SHARP/CLEAR & EXHIBITS MUCH LESS MOTION BLUR.

~b3nz0n8

PICS:

post #66 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, one last thing I forgot to mention for you: LCDs are immune to magnetic interference so don't worry about your Klipsch speakers being close.
post #67 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Oh, one last thing I forgot to mention for you: LCDs are immune to magnetic interference so don't worry about your Klipsch speakers being close.

Very nice!

CRT issues with magnetic fields have always been a problem within a few feet of these Klipsch 4.1 speakers. I was not sure if the magnetic field would affect the internal archetecture. Good news..now back to the bat cave.

Thanks Xcalibur_255

~b3nz0n8

PICS:

post #68 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 03:33 PM

I think it's imperative for a capable graphics card from a computer be able to hookup dvi > hdmi for me... Sounds like Macs work, which is what I plan to use, but not being able to get the nvidia cards that you have working sounds a little disheartening... are you sure that there isn't something else you need to tweak in the nvidia settings? Are your drivers several years old/aka latest drivers? I also seem to recall hearing that something special had to be done in the nvidia settings to originally get the lwm series to work correctly in the first place... maybe whatever that tweak was isn't necessary anymore?

One other thing that I have questions about is the pixels between the TX and the LWM series. You say the pixels are larger, and give a screen door effect (albeit nose to the glass) so not worried about this in the new TX line, but pixels are pixels, and there should be exactly the same number of pixels on both sets... so how can the pixels be larger on the TX series? they are the same size panels with the same number of pixels right? To further this thought, one would think that if the LWM set had smaller pixels, one would see more of a screen door effect because there would be more space between individual pixels...

Anyone following what I'm getting at here?

Also, has anyone actually "Done" PIP? That's the only way we are going to know if it works or not.

Thanks again for all the great info so far!!!
post #69 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I may be able to give you an answer here, but take it with a big grain of salt because I'll both be making guesses and working with rather limited understanding myself.

The number of pixels and their size does indeed remain the same, but they can appear to be spaced differently depending upon how the liquid crystal matrix is laid out. A good example of this is Sharp panels using what they market as Multi-pixel technology. Basically each pixel is split into two planes and each plane's crystal element is aligned along what I believe is an axis rotated 90 degrees. What this does basically is double the effective viewing angle along one plane. This makes sense if you compare to real-world viewing where people report that the horizontal viewing angle of these panels is fantastic whereas the vertical performance is about the same as their previous MVA designs.

This is a newer generation of CMO panel. Both they and AUO have been working on a new generation of MVA themselves that improves viewing angle performance. Samsung's PVA is also basically a take on this design concept. Liquid crystals are basically light control valves and viewing angle is a result of the fact that they release this light only within a controlled "window" of angle. Light goes in a straight line until it strikes something, so this combined with the diffuser layer you see on the surface of an LCD results in the viewing angle issue we all know. By splitting the pixel element they're basically aiming the light left and right at 45 degree angles instead of aiming it all straight ahead, which combined with the diffuser results in less color shift and washout when you move from side to side.

If the new Westy offers superior viewing angle performance compared to the LVMs then it's logical to assume my theory is correct and this is the new A-MVA matrix. That would be why the pixel structure appears different very close up.
post #70 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 04:05 PM

Thanks Xcalibur! that does make sense now... I wonder if the viewing angle is different between the two panels specs? Side by side comparison is always best though...
post #71 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 04:06 PM

I cannot get PIP to work. Also, the option seems to be greyed out and there doesn't appear to me to be a way to enable it, even on different inputs. I've plugged in an S-Video signal and a HDMI signal and no PIP.

However, I after plugging in the s-video connection, I could no longer get my HDMI input to work. Shut off the DVD player, no affect. Turned off the TV, no help. I unplugged the S-Video source and then shut off the HDMI source and turned it back on and it worked. I just ran up to report this, but I am going to go play around with it some more to see what's the deal. At this point I don't know if something might be wrong with the TV or my new Samsung DVD player. I will say the player locked up last night and I had to unplug it and plug it back in, so I'm thinking it's the DVD player.

Edit... I've tried it some more and cannot get that issue to repeat itself at the moment. Not sure what was going on. I found it interesting that I get a message on the screen when powering on the HDMI DVD player that the HDMI audio not supported. I am thinking this is because I have the DVD player in Bitstream mode rather than PCM so that my older receiver will play the DD5.1. In the Bitstream mode I get no audio from the TV, but the receiver will see the DD5.1. In PCM mode, the TV plays the audio, but my receiver only sees 2 channel audio. Isn't this suppose to be plug and play? :-)
post #72 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 04:32 PM

The autosource feature is interesting. It will switch to whatever source you power up on the input it's plugged into. If you left the previous source on, you can turn it off and back on and it will auto-switch back to that source. I guess this can be good and bad. You can turn this feature off if you want. Otherwise you select the source by pressing the input button and then up and down arrows to your source and pressing enter or waiting, or you can press the input button multple times and it will scroll down the list of inputs. There are quick select buttons at the bottom for the inputs, but only one HDMI button. I will have 2 HDMI sources, so I will have to press that button 3 times to go from HDMI source 2 back to 1. Maybe I'll just shut off the one device and turn on the other and vice versa and use the autoseclect feature.

This is going to prove interesting on how I program my macro remote and switch between sources.
post #73 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:

I cannot get PIP to work. Also, the option seems to be greyed out and there doesn't appear to me to be a way to enable it, even on different inputs. I've plugged in an S-Video signal and a HDMI signal and no PIP.

I think under the Display section there is an option to turn PIP on for that particular input and wasn't sure if that section was grayed out or not... see if you can enable PIP there for a couple of inputs first, then give PIP a try... crossing my fingers
post #74 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hskr8 View Post

I think under the Display section there is an option to turn PIP on for that particular input and wasn't sure if that section was grayed out or not... see if you can enable PIP there for a couple of inputs first, then give PIP a try... crossing my fingers

I could not enable it.... tried a few of the inputs... couple HDMI, s. video, A/V, TV.
post #75 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 06:27 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I think it's imperative for a capable graphics card from a computer be able to hookup dvi > hdmi for me... Sounds like Macs work, which is what I plan to use, but not being able to get the nvidia cards that you have working sounds a little disheartening... are you sure that there isn't something else you need to tweak in the nvidia settings? Are your drivers several years old/aka latest drivers? I also seem to recall hearing that something special had to be done in the nvidia settings to originally get the lwm series to work correctly in the first place... maybe whatever that tweak was isn't necessary anymore?

I have no problems connecting my nvidia 7300 to my TX via a DVI to HDMI cable. I'm running Gentoo/Mythtv @ 1920x1080.

-Troy
post #76 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks Xcalibur! that does make sense now... I wonder if the viewing angle is different between the two panels specs? Side by side comparison is always best though...

SIDE BY SIDE PICS WILL BE POSTED IN THE NEXT 2 HOURS...STAY TUNED.

~b3nz0n8

PICS:

post #77 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Benzonate, I want to thank you for putting in all this effort. This is the first good look and seeing it side by side with the 47w1 is a great opportunity. I'd like to answer a couple of things you've brought up:

The text blur you see is indeed a result of the VGA. At that resolution it can be any number of issues from the cable to the clock source, but it's very common for VGA to fall down at this resolution. A DVI -> HDMI adapter cable is something to test out here on the TX, but it brings up the issue of colorspace conversion at the same time. The hazy clouding you see in the upper right is indeed a mura defect. It's the most common kind and this results in too much pressure being applied when the panel is sealed and it's color filter and polarizer is applied. Some of the cells in the corners get crushed and it allows more light leakage as a result. I would expect to see this on many of these including my own when it's here and I cannot stress enough that this afflicts the MAJORITY of LCD panels and I hope people don't take to focusing on it here like they have in other threads. It's something we have to deal with when buying this particular technology.

You also exhibit some mura along the bottom of the panel and this is more traditionally inline with what the Sony XBR buyers call "clouds" in that the spin coating or photo lithograhy process wasn't completely uniform resulting in the slightly hazy look you see there. We'll have to wait and see how much this shows up. The overall black floor does appear lower. It's my hope that this is the updated A-MVA panel type. When you step off at extreme viewing angles does the color of red wash out the most noticeably like it does on the 47w1? I also can't help but notice that after Westinghouse painfully stating there is no PIP it seems from your screenshots that it does indeed support the feature, just not dual-tuner PIP.

You'll want to set your Power Mode from normal to E. Saver/Economy right away. What this does is cut the unit's standby power consumption from 45 watts down to under a 1 watt in exchange for the display taking a little bit longer to light when you first turn it on each time. I'm also curious if the Normal color temp has been calibrated to 6500K or if you need to select Warm to get close to an accurate white like with most models.

Some comparisons between having dynamic contrast on and off while viewing normal tv or dvd sources would also be a good thing to check out. I want to know if Westinghouse can build a better crappy feature.

Most excellent! I jumped on the chance to line up the TX-47F430S and LVM-47w1.

I have been looking forward to your questions/input/ideas/feedback. I have the rest of the weekend to perform tests and I can download any testing platform available online(please PM links and I'll get right on it).

Please ask away and I will see what I can produce via pictures and compare the two panels(TX & LVM).

Your grasp on this technology will benefit all who visit this thread or google the panel. I will be referencing each as often as possible.

There may be individuals in the future that pour through this thread and I don't want any confusion as to which panel is receiving attention. If you see errors in the many posts(I have been cranking out as many as possible, as quickly as possible and trying to balance time with my very understanding fiance..she is the best!). The reporting/pictures/uploads take longer than the testing, but well worth it for the benefit of all those in anticipation of their panels.

I will answer the above questions over the next few hours.

By the way...the TX line does indeed have improved viewing angles.

"The overall black floor does appear lower."
Yes. The black floor is lower, when compared to the LVM, with power off = TX is darker than the LVM.
When powered on (TX & LVM) the black levels on the TX are noticably darker(with and without Dynamic Contrast on)

"It's my hope that this is the updated A-MVA panel type."

The TX panel is visably different from the 47w1.
The TX has a slight gloss, The LVM a grey dull matte finish.
TX pixels are different from the LVM pixels.
TX viewing angles (off to the side) are greater & produce much less washout than the LVM(produces red washout).

When you step off at extreme viewing angles does the color of red wash out the most noticeably like it does on the 47w1?

VIEWING THIS PAGE ON BOTH PANELS: (Xcalibur_255..you will like the extreme viewing angles and color representation as you look down the side of the panel)
FIRST PANEL: TX(DVI-HDMI CONNECTION) (COLORS HOLD TRUE AND THE CONTRAST DEEPENS AS YOU HAVE EXTREME VIEWING ANGLES)
FAR PANEL: LVM-47w1 (DVI-DVI CONNECTION) (NOTICE THE RED WASHOUT)

HERE IS A BETTER VIEW OF THE "RED WASHOUT" ON THE LVM-47w1(FAR PANEL):

FROM THE LVM-47w1 (NEAR) TO THE TX (FAR):

RICHER COLORS ON THE TX(FAR) PANEL AT EXTREME ANGLE VIEWING:

FRONT VIEW(SIDE BY SIDE: TX / LVM)
THE COLORS ON THE TX(LEFT) ARE DEEPER AND RICHER ON THE SAME IMAGE.

"I also can't help but notice that after Westinghouse painfully stating there is no PIP it seems from your screenshots that it does indeed support the feature, just not dual-tuner PIP. "

I'M WORKING ON THIS AND MANY MORE PICTURES. BACK IN AN HOUR.

SLIDESHOW OF PICTURES I WILL POST TONIGHT:

CLICK HERE TO VIEW SLIDESHOW PICS OF FUTURE POSTS

~b3nz0n8

PICS:

post #78 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyd View Post

I have no problems connecting my nvidia 7300 to my TX via a DVI to HDMI cable. I'm running Gentoo/Mythtv @ 1920x1080.

-Troy

LAPTOP CARD OR DESKTOP? DRIVER #?

THANKS,

~b3nz0n8

PICS:

post #79 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:

Benzonate, let us know if you end up getting the DVI to HDMI PC input to work. I was hoping to connect a computer digitally to this TV in the future.

Hello jbradg,

I did have success with the Nvidia GO 7800 (driver 84.69) via DVI-HDMI cable to the TX 47".

When I connected the LVM-47w1 to the Dell laptop:

~I created a profile in the Nvidia "Display Settings" as "DUAL-VIEW", so each monitor has its own settings.
~This profile is based on the LVM-47w1 as a "monitor", the TX is recognized as "HDTV" only and I cannot port to it directly.
~This may be an issue via Nvidia Mobile drivers only, I hear desktop cards port to the TX (DVI-HDMI) just fine.

~I will attempt many different Nvidia Mobile Drivers and report success.

~I had random laptop shutdown problems which may be a heat issue on the video card for driving both displays.
~Or it could be an issue with the software fan control I use to drive the laptop fans on high(need as much cooling as possible).
~The random shutdowns were more frequent while connected to the TX, but I had one while not connected to any monitor.
~Also, zero random shutdowns while connected to the LVM-47w1. (hmmm)

* FAN CONTROL SOFTWARE LINK: http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html *

~b3nz0n8

PICS:

post #80 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 10:49 PM

Really Great Pics Benzonate!!!

Guys, focus on the pink/purple bars in all those shots, and you will see the color maintained better on the TX, even front on.

Great to hear Troy about your nvidia 7300 connection and running a proper OS too!

I think I'm pretty much sold... even without the PIP, thanks for trying again Jbradg
post #81 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

While I'm waiting for a professional review to tell me about colorimetry there is one thing that comes to mind we can check for ourselves. One easy way to tell if a backlight is using a wide gamut CCFL is to compare shots of red, especially deep velvet red such as the color of mature roses and such. Generally LCDs struggle to reproduce deep red particularly in the dark when they are fighting against their effective dark room contrast abilities. If you have any shots like this handy, basically pictures of flora or anything with a variety of vivid color it will help to see if the gamut is noticeably improved on the TX. It's important to note that it is extremely important that the saturation and color/tint levels on both displays be set as closely as possible for such a comparison to be valid.

It seems to me like a number of the improvements I was expecting are present on this tv and Westinghouse is simply doing a terrible job of bragging about them up to this point. As always your time and effort on this front are appreciated Benzonate. The ability to compare the current with the previous is a great help here and you seem to have the space and computer resources as well. I would encourage all owners at this point to attempt a user-level calibration of their sets using Digital Video Essentials or Avia since those results are usually of great interest to future buyers looking for calibration advice. DVE in particular also has video footage that would help with what I wrote above. I'm frustrated that I cannot personally contribute my own experience yet, but I have a few qualms with spending more to get the set now and seeing that money go to Best Buy (a company I don't like to support). Having my suspicions about the panel confirmed is what I needed to keep patience instead of canceling my order with JR though.
post #82 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:

...are you sure that there isn't something else you need to tweak in the nvidia settings? Are your drivers several years old/aka latest drivers? I also seem to recall hearing that something special had to be done in the nvidia settings to originally get the lwm series to work correctly in the first place... maybe whatever that tweak was isn't necessary anymore?

I have tried many of the new drivers as well as a number of modded drivers.

There are work arounds to get access to the TX via DVI-HDMI. Access via these two laptop video cards ( NVIDIA GO 7800 & GO 7800 GTX ) requires the LVM sit next to it, create a profile for the TX based on the LVM and then connecting the DVI-HDMI cable to HDMI-1.
This is not a solution...we'll find it soon.

I will continue to find a solution and report a.s.a.p.

The issue with these(MY) cards(drivers) is that the TX is recognized as a HDTV (The LVM as a MONITOR)..and the issue is getting the TX to display anything. Looking at new drivers tomorrow.

There has been success with desktop cards recognizing the TX right away. I have 5 various (ATI & Nvidia via DVI) desktop cards I will test over the next 2 weeks. Installing OS on all rigs now.

~b3nz0n8

PICS:

post #83 of 6183 Old 05-25-2007, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really Great Pics Benzonate!!!

Guys, focus on the pink/purple bars in all those shots, and you will see the color maintained better on the TX, even front on.

Great to hear Troy about your nvidia 7300 connection and running a proper OS too!

I think I'm pretty much sold... even without the PIP, thanks for trying again Jbradg

Two things jump out at me from that last pic: the first being that while the magenta is more saturated the blues are actually lighter. This could be a color calibration issue or a contrast setting issue so no conclusions can really be drawn just from that. The second thing that pops out at me is the gradient shift from blue to black within the partner sites ad banner. Notice there is some visible gradient shift on the TX whereas on the LVM it is almost entirely black with a slight and sudden shift to blue at the end. Again could be calibrated related but it's noteworthy. Actually I have a really easy request for Benzonate if his photography skills are up to it. What we need is a high exposure picture of both sets turned ON with no signal displaying a black screen with the room lights off. Both must be active and not in standby. The over-exposure (how much is something that usually has to be experimented with) will make the screens look hazy grey and aren't meant to represent black levels in the room at all. What over exposing the picture does it make it easy to gauge with the eyes which set is showing the darker grey and hence which produces better black levels. For this test to be fair the backlights must be set to equivalent values. Two shots, one with backlight at max and another with backlight at minimum, would be fantastic.
post #84 of 6183 Old 05-26-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:

... are you sure that there isn't something else you need to tweak in the nvidia settings? Are your drivers several years old/aka latest drivers? I also seem to recall hearing that something special had to be done in the nvidia settings to originally get the lwm series to work correctly in the first place... maybe whatever that tweak was isn't necessary anymore?

Drivers used: Multiple, very new(90 series) & 80 series are used. Each driver(modded or standard) have different options.

I will report with a solution soon.

CURRENT DRIVER:
nForceware Configuration :
Standard 2D : GPU: 100 MHz - Memory: 658 MHz
3D Performance : GPU: 400 MHz - Memory: 1064 MHz
3D Low Power : GPU: 250 MHz - Memory: 658 MHz
ForceWare Version : 6.14.10.8469

LVM-47w1:

~ Via DVI-DVI is recognized immediately as HDTV & LVM-47w1. You have the option to pick which you wish to set up. TV or Monitor. This is very very nice.

TX-47F430s:

~Connected via DVI-HDMI is recognized as HDTV, but will not display anything.
~WORKAROUND:
-Connect the LVM-47w1 to the laptop.
-Create an Nvidia PROFILE for the TX using the LVM-47w1 PROFILE.
-This PROFILE = DUAL-VIEW with the LVM as PRIMARY
-Disconnect the LVM DVI & connect the TX DVI-HDMI immediately
-TX now displays 1:1 Pixel Mapping in beautiful, rich, deeper color than the LVM. Very nice!

#1 of 3 LAPTOP VIDEO CARDS:

General Information :
Manufacturer : Nvidia Corp (Dell Computer Corp)
Model : GeForce Go 7800 GTX
Bus Type : PCI-Express
Total Memory : 256 MB
Texture Memory : 475 MB
Processor : GeForce Go 7800 GTX
Converter : Integrated RAMDAC
Refresh Rate (min/max) : 60/60 Hz

PICS:

post #85 of 6183 Old 05-26-2007, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Wow Benzonate, thanks for all the great info!

I got a question for you since you have the tx47 right in front of you.. What do you have the TV currently resting on? Is the metal grating pretty darn sturdy or is the TV not that heavy..?

The manual says it's 83 lbs. and I'm having a hard time debating whether I would need a new stand. The current stand I have has a top shelf *rated to 70 lbs*, but I wonder if it could easily handle a little more. I have an lcd ~50 lbs sitting on it w/o issue now. It's an audio rack w/ 5/8" mdf and two metal tubes in the front and one support in the middle back. Here's a link to the product: Stand

It uses 5/8" mdf so I'm thinking the stand should easily be able to support the weight. Perhaps I could throw a small 2x4 between the top and next shelf to add a little extra support for security..?

I apologize since this isn't exactly the forum for discussing stands, but it's not easy finding stands/racks where the top shelf can support a decent amt of weight.
post #86 of 6183 Old 05-26-2007, 01:44 AM

Quote:

Two things jump out at me from that last pic: the first being that while the magenta is more saturated the blues are actually lighter. This could be a color calibration issue or a contrast setting issue so no conclusions can really be drawn just from that. The second thing that pops out at me is the gradient shift from blue to black within the partner sites ad banner. Notice there is some visible gradient shift on the TX whereas on the LVM it is almost entirely black with a slight and sudden shift to blue at the end. Again could be calibrated related but it's noteworthy. Actually I have a really easy request for Benzonate if his photography skills are up to it. What we need is a high exposure picture of both sets turned ON with no signal displaying a black screen with the room lights off. Both must be active and not in standby. The over-exposure (how much is something that usually has to be experimented with) will make the screens look hazy grey and aren't meant to represent black levels in the room at all. What over exposing the picture does it make it easy to gauge with the eyes which set is showing the darker grey and hence which produces better black levels. For this test to be fair the backlights must be set to equivalent values. Two shots, one with backlight at max and another with backlight at minimum, would be fantastic.

I will set this up for tomorrow afternoon/evening. I'll cover the window for a completely black room and post the pictures. Please provide feedback & I will adjust as necessary. Also, tomorrow I will knock out as many of the requests(deep reds as well) as possible. Please note, I have a fiance. Enough said. In order to keep the fiance, I must adjust the schedule as necessary. She is the best and she is very understanding. I do want to keep her. So tomorrow, I will crank out as much as possible, and by the way. I also have this entire weekend, fiance included. Ask away...

Off to bed before I get my legs broken...ha!

~b3nz0n8

PICS:

post #87 of 6183 Old 05-26-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz View Post

Wow Benzonate, thanks for all the great info!

I got a question for you since you have the tx47 right in front of you.. What do you have the TV currently resting on? Is the metal grating pretty darn sturdy or is the TV not that heavy..?

The manual says it's 83 lbs. and I'm having a hard time debating whether I would need a new stand. The current stand I have has a top shelf *rated to 70 lbs*, but I wonder if it could easily handle a little more. I have an lcd ~50 lbs sitting on it w/o issue now. It's an audio rack w/ 5/8" mdf and two metal tubes in the front and one support in the middle back. Here's a link to the product: Stand

It uses 5/8" mdf so I'm thinking the stand should easily be able to support the weight. Perhaps I could throw a small 2x4 between the top and next shelf to add a little extra support for security..?

I apologize since this isn't exactly the forum for discussing stands, but it's not easy finding stands/racks where the top shelf can support a decent amt of weight.

No problem and it is good that you ask. These panels are heavy and distribute weight pretty evenly along the base. "Tilt" ~ forward or backward is a concern if you move it around(cables, upgrades, etc), and it does sway a bit forward and backward on this metal rack I have mine on. I move it out often to adjust cables, etc.

THE RACK: I bought mine from SAMS CLUB for $80.00. I have my garage lined with them and they are fully adjustable...really, you can use them for everything. The rack you see is the bottom half. You get the bottom & top half(screws together) for the price above. Super heavy duty. The entire rack is rated for 500 or 600 lbs. I think you get 6 shelves(rated around 100-125lbs(I have put 300lbs of prostyle dumbells on a shelf...it gave a bit..but held strong), casters, plastic shims that click together on the ridges. Fully adjustable..I use them everywhere.

www.samsclub.com

I recommend these racks for everything. My fiance complains about my investment in these commercial grade racks(I'm a guy)....now she has one in her closet. Just a matter of time.....

The rack you are looking at online. That is not bad, but you will stock the shelves, load cables and top it off with a beautiful LCD that borders on the maximum weight limit...I would say look for a sturdier rack. Go overboard for full on stability. If the racks you look at are near the weight capacity....look further. These are heavier than you think and moving the rack fully loaded may tweak the architecture into failure over time. That would be a shame.

Look for something stout and I will keep my eyes open for you as well. I'll PM links to you as they come up.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will respond between posts.

~b3nz0n8

PICS:

post #88 of 6183 Old 05-26-2007, 02:08 AM

Quote:

I'm frustrated that I cannot personally contribute my own experience yet,

No worries. I am sure there will be thorough examination and a few sleepless nights soon. I am very certain your reports will provide the necessary, indepth information for us all. Your knowledge and the personal experiences of drbonbi were the reason I picked up the LVM-47w1. It will be good to add your experiences and extensive knowledge to the collective, so we all will have the opportunity to collaborate.

Quote:

but I have a few qualms with spending more to get the set now and seeing that money go to Best Buy (a company I don't like to support). Having my suspicions about the panel confirmed is what I needed to keep patience instead of canceling my order with JR though.

I too had reservations, as my BB experiences have always been poor. But I took some time to do some in-store research on the LVM and I was pleasantly surprised by the direction of the BB management. My recent experiences with BB
has opened the door to local service/exchange/Geek Squad support...who knows...

~b3nz0n8

PICS:

post #89 of 6183 Old 05-26-2007, 06:31 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZONATE View Post

LAPTOP CARD OR DESKTOP? DRIVER #?

THANKS,

~b3nz0n8

Desktop running nvidia's driver version 1.0.8776-r1 straight from portage. Here is the Xorg log

Quote:

(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "RenderAccel" "true"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 7300 LE at PCI:5:0:0
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoRAM: 524288 kBytes
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 05.72.22.43.00
(II) NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 16X
(--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce 7300 LE at PCI:5:0:0:
(--) NVIDIA(0): WDE WESTINGHOUSETX-47F430S (DFP-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): WDE WESTINGHOUSETX-47F430S (DFP-0): 165.0 MHz maximum pixel
(--) NVIDIA(0): clock
(--) NVIDIA(0): WDE WESTINGHOUSETX-47F430S (DFP-0): Internal Single Link TMDS
(II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: DFP-0
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0): "1920x1080"

post #90 of 6183 Old 05-26-2007, 11:01 AM

Benzoate,

Since you have the 47W1 and the TX-47 think you can throw a Progressive Scan DVD player and have each upscale it to 1080p to see the diff. I'm really interested to see how good that new Video Chip is compared to the Faroudja DCDi that was in the 37W3,42W2,47W1.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
470uf cap , Westinghouse Tx 42f430s 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv , westinghouse tx-47f430s
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page