Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Anybody know if the Target plan is transferrable to another owner?

According to their website it excludes all "pre-owned" equipment. I would call them just to have them clearify that though, as that could mean a lot of different things. Even if they say it's not covered you could still tell the person buying the TV to come to you for the extended warranty. Target doesn't need to know that you sold the TV. Of course this all depends on if you want to deal with the hassel of the new owner coming to you for something like this, but technically there is no reason why you couldn't still sell it with the extended warranty. It would certainly help you to sell it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

Wow, talk about a lack of information from Olevia!

I think that's why they're making a second website
post #183 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Good pts., Planet HDTV.

I'll likely contact Target and report back what they say, provided nobody else chimes in here with a definitive answer.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #184 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:

I'll likely contact Target and report back what they say

That would be great If it is transferable then I'd image it might even help them sell a few more of them. It would be like an added feature
post #185 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

exactly. If it doesn't and I decide I don't to be the long term warranty holder for a subsequent buyer, I'll purchase one of those highly-regarded forum sponsored Mack warranties (or whatever they're called). It would be another $50ish, but they are transferrable and they are 3 years in length as well.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #186 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 02:10 PM

I'm confused. I just purchased an Olevia 237T from target. Ship date 6/3/07. Box says (1) HDMI port. TV has ONLY (1) port.... Are folks saying their are TWO versions of this model?? TV source only lists (1) HDMI. Box also states their are (3) Component Cable connections. TV source only lists (2)........
post #187 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetter View Post

Kleptoix:

Your box says 2 HDMIs? My 237t listed only one HDMI on the box, which had a May 29 shipping date. But I did get the 2-HDMI model.

On the side of the box it says HDMI (2) under video input and when i cycle through source it says HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. I was also confused as well since everywhere I read it stated that this TV has 1 HDMI port. When I opened the box to connect my cable I saw 2 HDMI ports and I was really confused. I guess I lucked out. My TV is from batch #15166039. Created 5/31/07. Hope that helps.
post #188 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techowiz View Post

Box also states their are (3) Component Cable connections. TV source only lists (2)........

The third component input is via the VGA connector. I think they call it VGA-Comp.
post #189 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 03:21 PM

I wonder if Olevia updated the manual for the 2-HDMI 237T. I'd sure like to compare the manuals to see if there are any other differences.

The filename for the 1-HDMI 237T manual is: UM-En_MTK_237_for Target_061121.pdf
post #190 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 03:33 PM

on a side note, anyone know that remote code for this TV for my cable remote?
post #191 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleptoix View Post

on a side note, anyone know that remote code for this TV for my cable remote?

There isn't one, yet. Come on cable companies........!
post #192 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 04:20 PM

My remote came with 5 different codes for Olevia but none seems to work. damn.
post #193 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 04:23 PM

I know I posted some Olevia remote codes somewhere. Do a search for them.
post #194 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:

SD quality as compared to other lcds

I thought I saw someone in this thread asking about how sd content looks on other similiarly priced lcds. If so, I just wanted to mention that I've owned a couple budget lcds recently, a CR top-rated Toshiba 32" lcd, and then a 37" Polaroid model, which was rated highly among the user reviews on Circuit City's website.

In both cases, I thought sd quality was unacceptable (to me).

Do you know what video processor those models use? Are you saying we should infer Olevia SD performance from other brands?
post #195 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 06:57 PM

Hi All. Just made the 237 my first hdtv. The opinions in this forum were very positive, and the Target price was too good to resist! Two questions tho...

- have my old xbox hooked up to component input, and 2 odd things happen: playing dvds, there are subtle green and red stripes running vertically down the screen. They're maybe 2" wide. The second thing happens with games: curves and shapes look all choppy and jagged. Do I have something set wrong (or are these good excuses to upgrade to a 360 )

- the black levels don't seem deep at all. In the store, other lcds seemed to have blacker blacks and I figured the 237 just wasn't set properly. But at home, after adjusting brightness low/contrast high...and shades in between...even the 'black' screens for the unused inputs look just medium-dark gray. Night scenes in a dvd look washed out. Anyone else find this, or have config suggestions?

thanks!
btw - mine's got just 1 hdmi port.
post #196 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean718 View Post

even the 'black' screens for the unused inputs look just medium-dark gray. Night scenes in a dvd look washed out. Anyone else find this, or have config suggestions?

You have either the brightness or the contrast (or both) set too high. If you can't calibrate then on your own, then you'll need to reset them to the original factory settings. I think instructions for how to do this are on page 56
post #197 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:

- the black levels don't seem deep at all. In the store, other lcds seemed to have blacker blacks ...

Stores are very brightly lit. The #1 weak point of LCDs is poor black levels. You can probably improve it some, but in less than bright light there is going to be some light visible in black scenes. Does this model have a "Lighting" setting in the menus? If so set that for "Dark Room" and it will tone down the backlight some, then turn the brightness (which should really be called "black level") down until it looks better. Ideally you would do this with a calibration DVD or program.
post #198 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm42 View Post

Do you know what video processor those models use?

good question. If I find the time or find out, I'll post it. But no, I don't know off the top of my head.

Quote:

Are you saying we should infer Olevia SD performance from other brands?

Yes and no, I guess. Someone had inquired about SD performance of other budget lcds. The questioner was confused about or unhappy with what he had been experiencing with his newly acquired 237t as far as SD performance is concerned and wondered if other brands/models were better or similar. I was just offering my experience with two other "budget" models and how I was similarly dissatisfied with those as well (as far as SD performance, analog SD especially).

As I do not own the 237t (yet?), I can't say which is best among these particular few. My general accumulated sense (from oodles of reading on the subject) is that most budget lcd models won't be very strong performers in this particular regard. That's not to say that SD performance will be necessarily dissatifactory to all or most, just that you would be more likely to find higher rates of dissatisfaction amongst owners of budget models than those with higher end ones. But it often comes down more to the uniquely individualistic standards for quality* as well as the source provider of your sd content (ota, cable, satellite, etc.), just as much or more than the actual processing quality of each panel.

* for example, with both the Toshiba and Polaroid lcds I had, the off-axis performance was poor to my standards. Even though the sharpness/clarity remained good, the depth of color washed out too much once you moved away from a front-center viewing position, so much so that when I had guests over and they would seat themselves off to the side, I had the urge to angle the lcd panel in their approximate direction so that they could experience the best image.

Most of the time, they would think I was crazy because they didn't seem to notice the difference or if they did, it didn't really bother them. But to me, it was a distinct quality difference, and whenever I was seated off-center, it would bug me knowing that the picture would be a little better if only I was seated in a different physical position, i.e., in front.

post #199 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:

Does this model have a "Lighting" setting in the menus?

Should be under Picture > Mode
post #200 of 1473 Old 06-06-2007, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet HDTV View Post

That would be great If it is transferable then I'd image it might even help them sell a few more of them. It would be like an added feature

I called Target, and they couldn't find anything definitive in the literature they had before them, but the person I was speaking to seemed to think that it was indeed transferrable. As we know how reliable "seemed" is, they gave me the number to their warranty company, Warranty Corp of America (866-526-0018), and I confirmed it with one of their phone reps (after being on hold for a good while, cycling through a forever repeating limited option menu. ).

BOTTOM LINE: Yes, they ARE transferrable to a second party.

I would suggest others call and confirm or double check your paperwork to be sure, if this is an important consideration for you.

post #201 of 1473 Old 06-07-2007, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi All. Just made the 237 my first hdtv. The opinions in this forum were very positive, and the Target price was too good to resist! Two questions tho...

- have my old xbox hooked up to component input, and 2 odd things happen: playing dvds, there are subtle green and red stripes running vertically down the screen. They're maybe 2" wide. The second thing happens with games: curves and shapes look all choppy and jagged. Do I have something set wrong (or are these good excuses to upgrade to a 360 )

- the black levels don't seem deep at all. In the store, other lcds seemed to have blacker blacks and I figured the 237 just wasn't set properly. But at home, after adjusting brightness low/contrast high...and shades in between...even the 'black' screens for the unused inputs look just medium-dark gray. Night scenes in a dvd look washed out. Anyone else find this, or have config suggestions?

thanks!
btw - mine's got just 1 hdmi port.

Do a search for that red/green line problem. I've seen it in posts with fixes (don't remember the cause or the fix).

As for the "choppy and jagged" do you mean the edges of objects are not sharp and cllear? This may be the Xbox - Sony sent out a patch to smooth PS2 games in high def.

As for the stretching, is Xbox 4:3 and you're strecthing it? I would check on here to see if there is a forum about video game players. If not, try gamespot's forums. (a BUNCH of rude kids, but people will eventually post intelligent answers).
post #202 of 1473 Old 06-07-2007, 07:31 AM

The manual for the 237V is now available from Olevia's website:

237V manual

Would someone with a dual HDMI input 237T download the 237V manual and compare it's menu options to those in the 237T manual?
post #203 of 1473 Old 06-07-2007, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

It's the same useless manual that tells us NOTHING.
post #204 of 1473 Old 06-07-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:

As for the "choppy and jagged" do you mean the edges of objects are not sharp and cllear? This may be the Xbox - Sony sent out a patch to smooth PS2 games in high def.

I may be reading this wrong, but does this mean there is firmware or a patch out there that can make PS2 game systems with PS2 games look better than normal on an HDTV? If so, can someone link the patch? I really am interested in this because my PS2 looks pretty bad on my new Olevia 237T.
'
Also, for those of you that still have a PS2 and are using it on your Olevia, what settings are you using to make the picture look the best?

Thanks!
post #205 of 1473 Old 06-07-2007, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff2456 View Post

I may be reading this wrong, but does this mean there is firmware or a patch out there that can make PS2 game systems with PS2 games look better than normal on an HDTV? If so, can someone link the patch? I really am interested in this because my PS2 looks pretty bad on my new Olevia 237T.

Thanks!

Sorry, the patch is for playing PS2 games on the PS3. There's one for upscaling and one for smoothing.

You were reading it right, I just typed it poorly.

Older gaming systems just aren't designed for large high def TV's. My buddy plays Wii on a 62 inch 1080p, looks HORRIBLE.
post #206 of 1473 Old 06-07-2007, 08:33 AM

Does anybody have a Playstation 2 and this TV? I was wondering what settings you found to look the best. I tried Panoramic and it looks pretty good compared to all others.

Thanks.
post #207 of 1473 Old 06-07-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Do a search for that red/green line problem. I've seen it in posts with fixes (don't remember the cause or the fix).

Thanks Yankee. I searched after posting last night in the 537v/437v/237v thread and found a mention of the issue, but no one took a stab at the fix. I'll search some through others.

Quote:

As for the stretching, is Xbox 4:3 and you're strecthing it? I would check on here to see if there is a forum about video game players. If not, try gamespot's forums. (a BUNCH of rude kids, but people will eventually post intelligent answers).

Edges of objects and even text are jagged. For example, the diagonal lines of a "w" look like very pronounced steps rather than a diagonal line. I'll try to post an image tonight of a game where a line (a telephone wire) looks like little spots. The xbox is set to widescreen, though I even tried 4:3 with the 1:1 aspect ratio on the 237t and the same thing happened. Reducing the sharpness helped a little, but I may try the s-vhs input next. It looks pretty bad now. Another post said something about de-interlacing being a possible culprit, but there doesn't seem to be a way to tweak it. I'll check other threads and gamespot as well. Thanks!
post #208 of 1473 Old 06-07-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:

It's the same useless manual that tells us NOTHING.

Did you exchange your single HDMI 237T for a dual HDMI 237T?
post #209 of 1473 Old 06-07-2007, 12:46 PM

O.K this is my first post so please bear with me. I just bought the 237t from office depot, and i have until Monday to return it if i need to. i like the pq in hd on some channels like discovery and mojo, espn and fsn has to (repixelize?) all the time and is very annoying(esp. since i just spent almost a grand), and sd is barely tolerable (it is fuzzy) and when i streach it its even worse.( i have tw digital and am using the hdmi) The pq is very good on my 360 except for the white being blurry on lost planet, ect.. i watched "the decent" on the 360 the other day and the blacks had poor definition. overall, i like the tv except for sd quality and what seems like poor black definition.

i did have a couple of questions:

1. since i am spending $850 with a warranty, i dont mind spending a 1 or 2 hundred more if the quality is going to be that much better. so, is the 537h from target or td worth the money?

2. if i use the hdmi for my cable, and i get a hddvd player can i use the dvi input for the player? eliminating the need to get the new 237t with 2 hdmi inputs.

3. this repixelizing(or whatever) is knida getting on my nerves especially in sd. is this something everone deals with unless you get a $2000-3000 set, or is ther another set around for just a little more?

4. Why would the pq be bad, could it be the contrast ratio 1600:1, or the processor? i'm kinda confused. for example, the washed out blacks could be contrast and the repixilization problems could be the processor or maybe the cable signal? this is my first lcd tv, and maybe i'm being too critical.

5. does the contrast ratio really matter that much, is 1600 enough? i read somewhere that as long as it was over 1200, then it's o.k.

6. last question, when comparing the 237t and the 537h. would it be safe to assume that i can use the ratings in consumer reports for the 537h for my 237t?

thanks for the help, i just want to make sure i am making the right decision.
post #210 of 1473 Old 06-07-2007, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Firstly, the "pixelization" is a problem with the station/cable service, not the TV. Happens all the time with HD baseball. I assume it's a problem resulting from the live HD broadcast. This problem is NOT present with the NBA on other stations, so I think Fox just needs better equipment.

As for the white problems on the 360, calibrate your TV. Brightness/sharpness may be set too high.

You can use the DVI input, but then sound will be coming in via RCA's and not as good. My cable "buzzes" over the RCA hook up. Your call whether you need two HMDI inputs.

SD is just SD, I don't advise stretching it.

From what I've read, 537 gets you: universal remote, individual RGB controls, and a better version of the in-home warranty. Probably some other different picture tuning controls.

Your call.

(to the poster above, I'll hit a few Targets Saturday to see if they have any two HDMI TV's).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page