Philips 42" 1080P 42PFL7432D/37 , 3 failures in 3 days - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 05-31-2007, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On Memorial day I purchased a Philips 42PFL7432D/37 42" LCD 1080P TV. I brought it home and unpacked it. It set up perfectly in under an hour. But failed in 4 hours. Was it a fluke? OK maybe it was, I returned it to Best Buy the next day and exchanged it for another one. I brought it home unpacked and set it up, 3 hours later it refused to turn on. I called Philips support at 9:00 pm and someone answered the phone and very courteously walked me through the troubleshooting steps, but alas it was no use. I returned unit #2 to Best Buy and picked up unit #3 thinking the first two were bad luck. Guess what? I unboxed #3 at 3pm, and it had failed by 7pm. Three in a row? Philips needs to try harder.

Observations:
TV(s) were carefully set up, it was my third LCD HDTV purchase.
Only power and Houston Time Warner cable TV were attached (cable from wall directly to TV.
It was the same power and cable, that faithfully connected my Trinitron for five years.
All three failed while powered down (off).
All three made a clicking noise, like a relay, about every two minutes while powered off, after failure.
None of the buttons on the TV or remote had any response.
Not even the menu could be reached, the screen was completely black after failure.
Failure #1 was diagnosed by the "Geek Squad" and found to be in the condition described above.
I had to make Four trips to Best Buy
While watching the TV after setting it up there were absolutely no problems, until I powered the unit down using the off button on the remote, and returning an hour later to turn it back on.
The units were unplugged, for a minute, 5 minutes, and overnight, in an attempt to resurrect the TV.
Unit #1 was built in April 2007, #2 and #3 were built in May 2007.

Kudos:
Best Buy cheerfully replaced the TV's and refunded my money without question.

Philips service was helpful, and courteous, and offered to send a repair team at their cost to my home to repair the problem. I felt it would be easier to return it, since there was not anyone home usually during the day to receive them.

The setup and operation of the set was superior while working. The picture was incredible, I loved the ambilight, and the auto picture resizing is positively the best I have ever seen (and I have seen a lot)... It had the best 480P analog cable picture I have ever seen. The replacement Samsung below is inferior, yet more expensive, and a current model.

I replaced it with a Samsung LNT4065F 40" 1080p LCD HDTV. No Problems. But I REALLY like the Philips better.

Can Philips stay in business with TV's that fail like that?

[Update]
See post below for the solution. Philips went far out their way to find and fix this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-31-2007, 07:55 PM

Have the same problem with the one I bought from BB today. Watched tv for 2 hours. It was beautiful, left for a few hours got back and no go. Blue light comes on for a few seconds then goes off, it will come on randomly if stayed plugged in and i get the clicking noise u describe as well. I had to wait 3 days for them to order this one in. I was going to exchange it for another but not sure now...

What location did you get yours from? Mine in san marcos, tx.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-31-2007, 08:51 PM
D 5

Hi all,

IXLR8, I also bought the Philips 42PFL7422D/37, at Costco. The T.V. works well with standard channels and a HD antenna. But, the turn-off is the clouding and white flash in ALL 4 corners, and from what I'm reading its happening more often. I'm planning to return it to Costco and get a different model. The Samsung you bought is the one that peaks my interest after comparing them to the Philips at Best Buy. Samsung seems a lot brighter and vivid.
The only thing is the warranty at Costco is a lot better than Best Buy's. Costco has 90 days no questions asked return policy and extends the manufacturer's Warranty to 2 years. Best Buy has 30 days and if you return there after they deduct 15% from the original purchase price, But then again if everything works out well then who cares. LOL

Can you please post here how your Samsung LNT4065F compares to the Philips you had?

I also know they make a glossy Samsung LNT4065F version of the same model LCD you purchase.

Thanks for your in-sight.
post #4 of 22 Old 06-01-2007, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

The Samsung LNT-4065F is still working perfectly!

Here are the pro's and con's as I see it.

Samsung:
Only four button lighted on remote

Menu and setup are average

Full HDTV pictures are very good, 1080i material is excellent. But changing channels provide mixed results. When optimized for one channel another may be too dark or too light. With the contrast all the way up the picture does not feel balanced.

480P and analog sources are average

Automatic picture resizing poor to average.

VGA connection provided poor color saturation, and made reviewing camera digital pictures a poor use. Update times were good, but the picture on my 37" Westinghouse monitor is superior, not just better, using the same VGA source,

I ran the flickit DVD motion test and it passed with flying colors.

It works! It has operated flawlessly for four days now (None of the 3 Philips lasted four hours)

The Dynamic mode looks great on some programs, and just looks really poor on others, not enogh consistancy.

Philips:
Lighted remote

Menu and especially the setup screens are amazing, in the setup you are asked to pick between several split screen pictures. by selecting which one looks best to you, it adjusts the color and contrast automatically, and extremely well.

The auto picture resizing ALWAYS made whatever format being viewed like it was designed to be shown on a wide screen, nothing ever appeared to be stretched, even though it obviously was. Interestingly, it stretched the picture so that you could see what it was doing in an animated way over the period of a half second or so. Every HDTV should work like this!

Viewing digital camera picture from a memory thumb drive was spectacular.

Really liked the Ambilight. Possibly the best TV option ever in my opinion.

Remote controls were very intuitive.

3 out of 3 failed within hours!
post #5 of 22 Old 06-02-2007, 12:39 PM
D 5

Thank you for the info.

I might just return it and wait a couple of weeks and see what fixes Philips make in regards to the clouding, light-leakage, and the Firmware that is yet to be seen.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-02-2007, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D 5 View Post

Hi all,

IXLR8, I also bought the Philips 42PFL7422D/37, at Costco. The T.V. works well with standard channels and a HD antenna. But, the turn-off is the clouding and white flash in ALL 4 corners, and from what I'm reading its happening more often. I'm planning to return it to Costco and get a different model. The Samsung you bought is the one that peaks my interest after comparing them to the Philips at Best Buy. Samsung seems a lot brighter and vivid.
The only thing is the warranty at Costco is a lot better than Best Buy's. Costco has 90 days no questions asked return policy and extends the manufacturer's Warranty to 2 years. Best Buy has 30 days and if you return there after they deduct 15% from the original purchase price, But then again if everything works out well then who cares. LOL

Can you please post here how your Samsung LNT4065F compares to the Philips you had?

I also know they make a glossy Samsung LNT4065F version of the same model LCD you purchase.

Thanks for your in-sight.

Tried the same tv and it sucked. The remote was horrible. The menu features were so prehastoric, the stand is just horrible to put together and it is rather a heavy LCD.... Not up to the sharp, sony, samsung LCD. Couple of years behind....Even though everyone uses phililps' technology which they patent. But I could be wrong....

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #7 of 22 Old 06-03-2007, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtguy View Post

Have the same problem with the one I bought from BB today. Watched tv for 2 hours. It was beautiful, left for a few hours got back and no go. Blue light comes on for a few seconds then goes off, it will come on randomly if stayed plugged in and i get the clicking noise u describe as well. I had to wait 3 days for them to order this one in. I was going to exchange it for another but not sure now...

What location did you get yours from? Mine in san marcos, tx.

Katy, TX, and Houston (Bunker Hill) BB stores
post #8 of 22 Old 06-04-2007, 07:20 PM

I've had almost the same exact experience. Here's my post on page 18 of the other thread (I can't add a URL to my posts yet):

Quote:
It's a mystery. I bought a 7422 from Costco on Mother's Day. Thursday, four days later, it wouldn't turn on. Philips' support decided it was in protection mode and needed service. After a week of waiting for the local authorized service outfit, I decided to just take it back to Costco and get a new one.

So I got a new TV Saturday, two days ago, and it wouldn't turn Sunday morning.

I think I've ruled out everything:

1. Power surge? No, protected circuit plus no blinking clocks, etc, in the house.

2. Temperature? Prolly not, it has has an inch on the sides, and about 3" top and bottom, plus 10" or so in back.

I have analog cable and S Video from the DVD player in, and analog audio out.

Philips tech support doesn't seem to have any issues with this set. I also couldn't find anything here.

So I take it back yesterday and get the floor model that had been working for over a week. I watched TV all afternoon and then a DVD. After I turned it off last night, just out of curiosity, I tried to turn it back on. Nope. No blue "on" LED and nothing on the screen.

Any ideas? Is analog cable a problem for these new digital TV's?

I'm in the Copperfield area and have Katy Time-Warner cable also.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-04-2007, 08:00 PM

Why are you posting this twice in a separate thread? Yes, Philips can stay in business with a monitor like that as you are only one with a problem like you are decribing - if it indeed exists. And your questions had been answered.

This smells of FUD
post #10 of 22 Old 06-04-2007, 08:19 PM

I've had the same problem on 2 of these tvs as well, I think that makes 3 of us now.
post #11 of 22 Old 06-05-2007, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba676 View Post

Why are you posting this twice in a separate thread? Yes, Philips can stay in business with a monitor like that as you are only one with a problem like you are decribing - if it indeed exists. And your questions had been answered.

This smells of FUD

I am sorry. I started this thread before I found the other one. This thread is my first post in the AVS Forums. I looked for a forum to air my problems and perhaps help others avoid what I went through.

I copied the post and put it in the main Philips thread, because that is where it probably should have gone in the first place. I just did not see it before I posted...

I can confirm three failures, and I am now on day 5 on the sammy without a problem. I also have a Westinghouse, and a Toshiba HDTV, and neither of them have had a single problem during their lifetimes.

I am truly not trying to instill Fear Uncertainty and Doubt, in the Philips brand. If you read all of my posts, you will see that I strongly preferred it over the Sammy. But facts are facts, 3 failures did happen.

A matter of fact I saw that Philips are releasing a 120Hz 42" model very very soon. I was considering returning the Sammy and trying one, to see if the same problem exists.

Hey Philips! If you read this, contact me and I would love to give the new model 42PFL9832D a try. I did report all three failures to Philips support, so they know it is happening.
post #12 of 22 Old 06-13-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba676 View Post

This smells of FUD

Maybe he started a new thread because there was no interest in the other one. There was no response to my post in the other thread, other than daveinga contacting me via PM.

My 3rd TV was picked up by the local authorized service guys, fixed, and delivered yesterday. It didn't turn on this morning.

I'm open to any suggestions Karamba676. The TV is on a protected AC circuit. It is connected to analog cable and a S-video from the DVD player. It has and has not had audio out connected (depending on which dead TV we're talking about).

I really like this TV and just want it to work. Given the time and effort that I've put into it, there's no FUD or whatever here.

-Wayne
post #13 of 22 Old 06-23-2007, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

I purchased one of the sets on Memorial Day, and had three TV's fail, 1 day apart. Check my previous posts for the entire story.

Anyway here is the update. I offered Philips the use of my home to test for a failure, and they took me up on it! Two fine gentlemen from Philips set up an appointment, and visited my house, with a TV, to see why they seemed to fail so frequently. This was not some hack repair service, but by all appearances factory trained and sponsored team with instructions to find out why the TV's had failed. I was impressed, and I do not praise easily.

Here are the results that I observed:

The set brought to my house failed almost immediately. In the exact manner that my previous sets failed.
The failure was software related. The current theory is that there are too many stations being auto tuned (close to 600). The Sammy that I now have also auto tunes the very same stations.
A software update fixed the problem.
The Philips employees were very knowledgable, courteous, and had a sincere desire to solve the problem.
The failure was caused by the cable company signal, although the exact reason has yet to be determined.

I have been purchasing electronics for a long time, and consider myself pretty well informed. Perhaps I do whine a little about things that i do not like, but I always try to represent the information fairly. The fact that Philips sent a team to my house to investigate the problem really impressed me. If this is the kind of response to problems that Philips normally makes, I will have to highly recommend the purchase of this set, and any Philips merchandise.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-23-2007, 02:42 PM

Glad you posted a follow up. I had read about the issue and resolution in the other thread and was impressed with the response from Philips.

The kind of support I'm seeing from the Philips reps is leaving a great impression on me.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-30-2007, 02:52 PM

i just received my 42PFL7432D/37 today (ordered from amazon end of may). tv won't turn on at all. blue light comes on for a few seconds and disappear. tried using the remote, no help. unplugged, then hold the power button and plug back in, no help. nothing helps.

called philips and they refer me to a local shop (precision tv in concord,CA) but they aren't open on the weekends.....

so looks like a software update fixes the problem? any more details on that?

good to know there is a solution to this, one thing about the "theory" mentioned above which says having 600+ auto-tuned channels. i even tried turning on the tv w/o anything connected to the tv, still no help.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-02-2007, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

I have seen the TV fixed with an override sequence initiated by the remote control. The failure will not occur until the TV is plugged in and the cable TV cable is connected directly to the wall. The trigger is the auto channel program. When it is complete it appears to work fine, until you turn it off. I was told that there is a two stage power down. the first stage is when you push the off button. But the chassis stays powered up for a period of time afterward, 5 to 10 minutes. Only when this second stage powers down does the error occur, at that time the channel information attempts to get written into an area that causes the problem. An error is logged internally and a "safety system" prevents the TV from restarting. If you can get the TV to turn back on, a simple firmware load from a USB memory stick should fix the problem permanently.

It should be an easy fix for Philips. It is a great TV, do not give up on it!
post #17 of 22 Old 07-09-2007, 02:49 PM

IXLR8, The details of your postings on this thread are excellent and much appreciated especially since I just came from Costco to do a little research on this TV.
1)You stated "the turn-off is the clouding and white flash in ALL 4 corners"
Did Philips say what was causing this and if there is a fix?
2)Do you know if the firmware load is available on line?
Thanks
post #18 of 22 Old 07-12-2007, 12:20 PM

This exact issue was happening with my girlfriend's set in Cypress, TX so I presume it's the same cable company signal. I couldn't get it to turn on at all Tuesday but Wednesday night it finally started working enough to get the firmware upgraded. It hasn't occurred again today so hopefully that fixed it. Just to be sure, which firmware fix was needed to correct the issue? Greatly appreciate the thread by the way. We were really worried that we were just going to get stuck with a lemon of a TV as it's outside of the return policy.
post #19 of 22 Old 07-13-2007, 08:51 PM

Just purchased Philips 42" 1080P 42PFL7432D/37 from Sam's today. Set up TV in little time with no problems, all cable channels working fine. Time Warner (now Comcast) in Houston, TX area similar to those above. Then attempted to play DVD for my 2yr old but kept getting a "Unsupported Video" error. Had TV on for hour or so prior to this, made a fix on HDMI setting of DVD player thru another TV, but when attempted to turn on the new TV there was no response. Blue LED light comes on for five seconds then off with same clicking noise as noted above.

I purchased my TV on Friday the 13th, but I'm glad to hear I'm not alone with this problem. I also thought I had created the problem when messing with the DVD player, but it doesn't sound like that was the root cause.

Sounds like there is an update with USB. I went to Philips website to download, unfortunately cannot get TV to turn back on to upload. Considering returning TV to Sam's and purchasing a different TV, unless those with problems feel the issue is resolved with the software update. WHAT IS THE REMOTE SEQUIENCE OVERRIDE???

I really like the TV over competitors, so I'd like to keep it. Any advice on how to get TV back on (i.e., leave it plugged in and clicking all night, or unplug it all together)???
post #20 of 22 Old 07-16-2007, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

[quote=zapspaz] WHAT IS THE REMOTE SEQUIENCE OVERRIDE???

QUOTE]

Philips service did not leave me the sequence. Perhaps they can help you. It did appear that it was repeatadly pressing one of the keys near the top of the remote. It seems like it took 20 or 30 presses of a key. This put the tv into a service mode, that allowed the new USB firmware to be loaded.

It is a very simple fix, and an excellent set. I am sorry you are having trouble. I can verify that as soon as the new firmware was loaded, it worked great. When the original firmware was loaded, the same problem reappeared.

I am sure Philips will make it right. They seem both responsive and motivated. You will not truly appreciate them, until you buy a set from someone else.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-16-2007, 04:58 AM

Gosh...I've only had this tv a few days but I've watched several movies and tv and no problems here
post #22 of 22 Old 04-04-2013, 06:10 AM

A LOT of people are experiencing this issue, as am I. Philips HDTV 42PFL7422D/37 - I hear the relays in my TV, which is off; click every 20-30 seconds. Relays click whenever connected to AC power. Pushing "on" button does nothing. If I unplug then plug back in, blue LED on front comes on for a few seconds, then turns off. No picture, no sound. I can see a few steady green LEDs through the vent slots on back. I will take off cover tonight to get a better view. I am hoping it’s the bad capacitor thing I read so much about.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page