Trying to decide between Toshiba, Philips, and Westinghouse - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-03-2007, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My girlfriend and I have been searching for an affordable 1080p TV to supplement our Sony 46E2000. Our budget is about 1900 or so but we'd like to get off cheaper if possible. We are looking at three different brands right now: Westinghouse, Toshiba, and Philips.

Toshiba 42HL167

Philips 42PFL7432D

Westinghouse LVM-47w1

I can get them all for roughly the same price. I would like to know if anyone here has an opinion on which would be the better buy.

I like the size of the Westinghouse but am put off by the fact that it only has 1 HDMI port. I am also concerned that it is the same price as the other panels but is 5" larger. I'm hoping that's not because the panel is of lesser quality.

The Philips and Toshiba seem to have nearly identical specs. I have an S-IPS panel in my computer monitor (2001fp) and really like the viewing angles and the true color reproduction. I have a P-MVA panel in my BenQ here and the colors seem to be more vibrant (not sure of the panel in the Toshiba). I'm also interested in ambilight and whether or not that actually helps increase the image quality. Please, I need input .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-04-2007, 10:54 AM

I cannot really comment on the other brands, but I recently bit the bullet, and bought a Westy 32" LCD.

I am seriously impressed.

I could search on the model numbers provided, but what size are you shooting for?
post #3 of 4 Old 06-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Why not go for the 47 inch Westinghouse. They only thing I don't really like is the remote for my 42W2. I'm unsure if the 47W1 has the same remote though. The picture looks amazing while playing games or blu-ray movies on my PS3 and the 360 games too. BTW in case you didn't see my other post Sony patched the PS3 to properly work with Westy's.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-04-2007, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, you've given me some relief. I was worried that the Westinghouse might not look as nice being cheaper but I'll try it out.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page